Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 5:44:42 AM EDT
‘bout once a year or so – for some reason always near the morning rush hour – some person always feels the need to pull their car over at the highest point of the I-94 hi-rise bridge just south of downtown and hurl themselves over the side.  

Don’t know how far of a drop it is exactly – but I’d guess it would be close to a 100 foot fall before your body is dashed to pieces on the auto bone yard at the bottom of it.  But every time somebody’s car pukes out on the bridge the Po-po or the Deputies have to go out of their way to find the owner, and “Step #1” of that procedure is to start looking over the edge of the bridge for bodies and such. (Step #2 would be to look for a person walking towards the closest exact ramp with a small gas can.  Step #3 means the ticket book comes out, and you can get the rest from there I’m sure.)

So anyway, just cruising into work this morning at about quarter to 8, I see a MCSD squad with what looks like a car pulled over.  Get a little closer and I see two people who look like they’re standing and hugging right near the edge of the barrier!  Finally as I pass them I see that a Deputy is embracing some woman with both of his arms and mumbling something to her.  She’s just sobbing and heaving with her face buried in his chest hugging him back as hard as she can.  

I may be jumping to conclusions here – but the vibe I got was that this person was ready to end it all, and probably would have if it hadn’t been for this average Joe Blow Deputy Sheriff, probably just starting his shift, pulling over, reading the situation fast, and intervening with something as simple as a human touch.

Growing up here, I’ve witnessed that the MCSD has always employed the Machiavellian "tis better to feared than loved" mode of operation when it came to keeping order in any area of their responsibility. I.E. – I’ve never heard of anyone getting out of a speeding ticket, know people that have been beaten for public urination at Brewer's games, and know for a fact that there are no cameras in the elevators at the county jail…

But back to this morning - I’m sure this is something he will never forget, and hopefully she won’t forget it – but I figure out of the hundreds of cars passing this situation by at 40 mph, 1% - maybe 2% picked up on the severe gravity of what was going on – and will take the time to reflect upon the sheer diamonds (for the most part) we have working for our community.

Just felt the need to air this one out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Great story, and great avatar
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
DUH!

She was obviously crying because he'd just shot her dog and threw it over the guardrail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
‘bout once a year or so – for some reason always near the morning rush hour – some person always feels the need to pull their car over at the highest point of the I-94 hi-rise bridge just south of downtown and hurl themselves over the side.  

Don’t know how far of a drop it is exactly – but I’d guess it would be close to a 100 foot fall before your body is dashed to pieces on the auto bone yard at the bottom of it.  But every time somebody’s car pukes out on the bridge the Po-po or the Deputies have to go out of their way to find the owner, and “Step #1” of that procedure is to start looking over the edge of the bridge for bodies and such. (Step #2 would be to look for a person walking towards the closest exact ramp with a small gas can.  Step #3 means the ticket book comes out, and you can get the rest from there I’m sure.)

So anyway, just cruising into work this morning at about quarter to 8, I see a MCSD squad with what looks like a car pulled over.  Get a little closer and I see two people who look like they’re standing and hugging right near the edge of the barrier!  Finally as I pass them I see that a Deputy is embracing some woman with both of his arms and mumbling something to her.  She’s just sobbing and heaving with her face buried in his chest hugging him back as hard as she can.  

I may be jumping to conclusions here – but the vibe I got was that this person was ready to end it all, and probably would have if it hadn’t been for this average Joe Blow Deputy Sheriff, probably just starting his shift, pulling over and reading the situation fast, and intervening with something as simple as a human touch.

Growing up here, I’ve witnessed that the MCSD has always employed the Machiavellian "tis better to feared than loved" mode of operation when it came to keeping order in any area of their responsibility. I.E. – I’ve never heard of anyone getting out of a speeding ticket, know people that have beaten for public urination at Brewer's games, and know for a fact that there are no cameras in the elevators at the county jail…

But back to this morning - I’m sure this is something he will never forget, and hopefully she won’t forget it – but I figure out of the hundreds of cars passing this situation by at 40 mph, 1% - maybe 2% picked up on the severe gravity of what was going on – and will take the time to reflect upon the sheer diamonds (for the most part) we have working for our community.

Just felt the need to air this one out.

Looks like they're beginning to move in the right direction.

Now if only they'd start signing on form 4's...

Mike  <-- fled Milwaukee back in 10/2002.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Officer in Green Bay actually grabbed a woman's arm as she jumped off the Leo Frigo bridge.

Growing trend in WI?

Or maybe he was comforting her AFTER her SO made the leap? 2 sides to every story....
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Or maybe he was comforting her AFTER her SO made the leap? 2 sides to every story....

Intersting point - very interesting point.  But most vehicles in the rush hour have only one person in them.  We may never know since it is so highly unlikely to see this kind of stuff reported by the media due to the fact that too many idiots will spark a light bulb over their head and say, "Kill myself AND fuck up morning traffic??!!  Now where the hell are those keys?"

Used to happen in L.A. all the time on the 10.  The traffic reporters would say, "It's all blocked up for the usual reason which we aren't allowed to talk about."

Also, it wasn't a Po-po that made that last millisecond grab on the Green Bay jumper (impressive as it was)- it was the State Patrol.  The same State Patrol that went door to door to every WI legisalator's office back in Febuary begging them to uphold the Governor's veto on the Personal Protection Act.  

That's another sight I'll never forget believe you me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top