Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 7/15/2023 4:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JMclane1204]
Figured I would start a thread on this as I know there are several victims of GAS here myself included. Granted I just started learning and am loving it!

1) Ibanez RGRT421 on reverb that came with upgraded locking tuners, Graph-Tech bridge saddles, Graph-Tech slotted tusq nut and a gator hard shell case for $590 shipped. Mint condition. Previous owner bought it new three months ago and upgraded it and then listed on reverb to fund a custom bass. I’ve already had a “New Guitar Day” thread when I got the guitar so some of you may remember it.

2) Today, 15JUL23, I ordered a Boss Katana 50 MKII bundle that came with a tuner and some picks from Sweetwater.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FS7:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/267086/20240114_180051_jpg-3094902.JPG

Almost done. Everything's complete and installed, even the string tree. With the neck installed, I realized the frets are a bit wide. I used a fret leveler to smooth out the sides (except for 19-22, which I'll get to), and then polished the fretboard with some mineral oil. It has a bit of buzz and might need some fret leveling (actual) and not rod adjustment, but it sounds pretty damn good with some distortion. For a guitar I actually made, I'm impressed. Though I'm a woodworker much more than I am a guitarist.
View Quote

Do you take orders? I'll have one just like that. 🍺
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Yeah, adding to the sentiment, above, I tried. It refused to adhere, no matter how much I tried.

I just added a ring terminal and put it under one of the screws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Kind of a bitch to solder those - thing is a massive heat sink.

Yeah, adding to the sentiment, above, I tried. It refused to adhere, no matter how much I tried.

I just added a ring terminal and put it under one of the screws.

Gotta have a hot iron.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PanelVanHalen] [#3]
WIP
---
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:
WIP

https://i.postimg.cc/8zBNCk9x/IMG-3486.jpg
View Quote

Nice! What's it going to be?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

Years ago I bought a Fender custom shop strat just because of the neck.  Had to have it.  

https://i.imgur.com/4sS55Fn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DIVaObn.jpg
View Quote

I understand.  It's why I bought my Les Paul Blonde Beauty.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Wow, beautiful
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

I confess I'm not that good at dialing in specific tones.  But I get LOTS of tones out of this Mesa that I like.  And the master volume is really good allowing me to use it at home.

I am also afraid of starting to like pedals.  I know that they are as big a collection GAS as are guitars and guns.  Thank god my other jones Golf doesn't require buying all kinds of gear.
View Quote

I think it's a lot harder than a lot of people realize and a big part of the reason I can't stand pedals.  I've never had any luck getting good tones with pedals.  My rack gear and modeling amps gave me something to start with and tweak a little.

I got a black star head and satchels distortion pedal and delay, delay is easy enough but I couldn't hear a difference between the pedal and the distortion in the amp.  Tried using it for boost as well and finally decided I wanted to try and repair my modeling amp.  

I did get a Marshall Haze amp a while back that I just loved but coincidently right after I bought it my speaker cables melted down.  I thought it was a problem with the amp as it would work for a second and then fade out.  I should have looked at the cables to see what failed.  I made them myself because I couldn't find speaker cables with 90° jacks on both ends and I wanted to put my cab closer to the wall.  They worked fine for years until I got that Marshall.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91850/IMG_4554-2959748.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91850/IMG_4551-2959749.jpg

The age old question: Les Paul with, or without the pick guard?
View Quote

Without!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread consistently makes me feel better about myself.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
When you have so many guitars you start hoarding amps instead.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I have a 1:1 ratio but I'm an amp whore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:

Nice! What's it going to be?
View Quote

Head cabinet shipped yesterday, about a month before I expected, so getting pretty psyched.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By callmestick:

Without!!!
View Quote

Kept the pickguard on the red one, but this flame maple topped ebony is sans pickguard

Also got an ebony recently for a project I’ll post when it’s finished that won’t have a guard
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Head cabinet shipped yesterday, about a month before I expected, so getting pretty psyched.
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Ceriatone?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:08:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlueCoyote] [#15]
After thinning the guitar herd and promising myself no new guitars this year……I made it almost 3 full months, this arrived last Thursday

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:

Ceriatone?
View Quote

No, not a kit.  Alumimum JTM-45 chassis from Modulus in Scotland.  Heyboer iron from Amp Parts Direct in FL.  Cabinet is coming from Sour Mash in a different part of FL.  Small parts from all over, many from CE/AES, many I already had.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#17]

No, not a kit.  Alumimum JTM-45 chassis from Modulus in Scotland.  Heyboer iron from Amp Parts Direct in FL.  Cabinet is coming from Sour Mash in a different part of FL.  Small parts from all over, many from CE/AES, many I already had.
View Quote

Right on!
Stock circuit?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Ceriatone?

Nice components so far. I didn't want to crap up your thread with a bunch of pics, but here is the rest of that 1974 I posted the heater wires for there. Also Heyboer iron, but I got the rest of the components as a package all from the same place with the layout.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Me likey.  Sweet.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:03:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PanelVanHalen] [#20]

Right on!
Stock circuit?
View Quote

Stock 1986 circuit, yeah.  Hard to really nail down a few aspects as they varied a good bit back then, cap and resistor values in the B+ rail, the NFB setup.  But the preamp is going to be the "bass" spec, if I add a 100pF to the volume pot it will be a '67-ish lead spec (1987).  I added an extra turret so that the V1 cathodes can be split ('68 and later 1987) if I decide to do so, but I highly doubt that I will.

ETA:  I deviated a bit by using .047 phase inverter output caps, rather than .1 stock value.  Should be no audible difference, and could possibly help prevent motorboating.  I used them because I didn't have any cool old .1s with long enough leads.  They are installed on top of their turrets so I can swap them out easily if I decide to in the future.  Later Marshalls used .022 there anyway, so I'm kinda splitting the difference.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice components so far. I didn't want to crap up your thread with a bunch of pics, but here is the rest of that 1974 I posted the heater wires for there. Also Heyboer iron, but I got the rest of the components as a package all from the same place with the layout.

View Quote

Nice work!  You wouldn't crap up anything with those pics!

What coupling caps are those?  They look cool, and I always appreciate when they mark the outside foil so I don't have to figure it out myself.

I've been a Heyboer fanboy for a while now, good tone and I've never had a failure.  As good as Mercury IMO, but way less expensive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#22]

What coupling caps are those?  They look cool, and I always appreciate when they mark the outside foil so I don't have to figure it out myself.

I've been a Heyboer fanboy for a while now, good tone and I've never had a failure.  As good as Mercury IMO, but way less expensive.
View All Quotes

Thanks

They are Synergy Royal Mustards. Splurged a bit for those - no idea if it's worth it but for the amount of time invested why not lol. I got the parts package from ValveStorm.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PanelVanHalen] [#23]
Thanks

They are Synergy Royal Mustards. Splurged a bit for those - no idea if it's worth it but for the amount of time invested why not lol. I got the parts package from ValveStorm.

View Quote

Yeah I don't wanna say what five .022 NOS mustards cost me.

The other old caps I used were used/tested ones I had around.

Getting pretty close now:

---

Where does the purple wire go?

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#24]

https://i.postimg.cc/vZ5VxVR8/IMG-3504.jpg

Yes.
View All Quotes
Thanks

https://i.postimg.cc/vZ5VxVR8/IMG-3504.jpg

Yes.

I had a feeling this was going somewhere looking at the components in the first section - very cool caps

Instead of yes I'd be at... Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. It will look cool to have them all the same color though.

A nice thing about the 18W is the el84s are a lot easier to come by. Still on my first set of affordable old Amperex pulls from a Hammond.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Bought a used guitar for my daughter. I made an EVH tribute. Home D.I.Y. job.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:55:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Dr-G:
Bought a used guitar for my daughter. I made an EVH tribute. Home D.I.Y. job.

View Quote

Uhhh...pics???

(Guitar, not daughter)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:01:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PanelVanHalen] [#27]

I had a feeling this was going somewhere looking at the components in the first section - very cool caps

Instead of yes I'd be at... Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. It will look cool to have them all the same color though.

A nice thing about the 18W is the el84s are a lot easier to come by. Still on my first set of affordable old Amperex pulls from a Hammond.
View Quote

I'm starting this with all JJs.  I like their EL34s pretty good, but not the 12AX7s so much.  Will be fine to get 'er running though.

Almost got it wired!  Too drowsy to continue now.  So I'll sleep then get it sewed up.  Cabinet got delivered, looks great but will have to drill mounting bolt holes, and I got some sheet metal for a shield on the bottom.
---
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm starting this with all JJs.  I like their EL34s pretty good, but not the 12AX7s so much.  Will be fine to get 'er running though.

Almost got it wired!  Too drowsy to continue now.  So I'll sleep then get it sewed up.  Cabinet got delivered, looks great but will have to drill mounting bolt holes, and I got some sheet metal for a shield on the bottom.

https://i.postimg.cc/L6mq2F64/IMG-3507.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.postimg.cc/L6mq2F64/IMG-3507.jpg
Wow, that was fast. Nice looking work
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:02:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow, that was fast. Nice looking work
View Quote

Thanks!  I made a new thread to not hijack this one further.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Got-your-extinguisher-ready-/5-2716063/
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#30]
I guess this goes here.

Finished a gentle refurb on my all orginal 1974 Peavey Classic 2x12 50 watts, still all original

Had it since new in 1974
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mach:
I guess this goes here.

Finished a gentle refurb on my all orginal 1974 Peavey Classic 2x12 50 watts, still all original

Had it since new in 1974

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_0266_jpeg-3172786.JPG

View Quote
Great amp - so would "gentle" be filter caps?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
I guess this goes here.

Had it since new in 1974

No just took it completely apart and cleaned it, including all the pots that were all stratchy, all the cable connections, took off all the surface rust on everything that needed it.

The knobs are milled solid aluminum

I plan on replacing the caps but haven't done it yet
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#34]
Anyone have any recommendations on how best to design and setup a small home recording studio?  
Is there a preferred source where some 'designs' can be looked at, etc?  Or maybe you have done this for yourself.  To boil it down, multiple instruments (3-4) all online always and capacity to change from live recording/headphone mode to play only live-in-room mode, with capacity to transfer/dub/edit analog (audio and video) to digital in there as well.

I play and write daily, mostly guitar for the last couple of years although I was a keyboardist (Korg 01/WPro, DW8000 Yamaha electronic piano with 76 keys) in several bands back in the day and consider that my main instrument -( I started playing piano at 5 years of age).  I did a massive amount of analog recording back in the day with a simple setup using the Korg for all instruments and adding vocals using the Tascam Porta-Two ministudio.   I want to get everything I have connected in line so I can change from one 'mode' to another without having to do any reconnections. transfer, edit and re-record the older analog stuff and arrange and record the new stuff with 3-4 distinct instruments/inputs in the mix.    It's much easier I think if you are just a guitar player, that is sort of a binary setup that you can do and not then have to change anything other than for experimentation purposes.  I need guitar/bass, keyboards and mics, mixer, digital 8-track all online at the same time.  Almost a live-type setup maybe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I probably should have done some homework on this before posting so much but I am looking for some time saving shortcuts!

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#35]

No just took it completely apart and cleaned it, including all the pots that were all stratchy, all the cable connections, took off all the surface rust on everything that needed it.

View All Quotes
I guess this goes here.

Had it since new in 1974

If they aren't leaking and it works then no hurry.

This was a friend's dead Bassman.

Did the inside ones too (new ones are black and green)

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
Anyone have any recommendations on how best to design and setup a small home recording studio?  
Is there a preferred source where some 'designs' can be looked at, etc?  Or maybe you have done this for yourself.  To boil it down, multiple instruments (3-4) all online always and capacity to change from live recording/headphone mode to play only live-in-room mode, with capacity to transfer/dub/edit analog (audio and video) to digital in there as well.

I play and write daily, mostly guitar for the last couple of years although I was a keyboardist (Korg 01/WPro, DW8000 Yamaha electronic piano with 76 keys) in several bands back in the day and consider that my main instrument -( I started playing piano at 5 years of age).  I did a massive amount of analog recording back in the day with a simple setup using the Korg for all instruments and adding vocals using the Tascam Porta-Two ministudio.   I want to get everything I have connected in line so I can change from one 'mode' to another without having to do any reconnections. transfer, edit and re-record the older analog stuff and arrange and record the new stuff with 3-4 distinct instruments/inputs in the mix.    It's much easier I think if you are just a guitar player, that is sort of a binary setup that you can do and not then have to change anything other than for experimentation purposes.  I need guitar/bass, keyboards and mics, mixer, digital 8-track all online at the same time.  Almost a live-type setup maybe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I probably should have done some homework on this before posting so much but I am looking for some time saving shortcuts!

View Quote

Get a decent desktop PC and buy a Reaper license.  Grab a 4 or 8-channel Behringer USB interface, a few SM57s and maybe a LDC  and some SDCs.  Buy some Owens Corning 703 and some acoustic fabric and some JBL LSR305s.  Sounds like for what you want to do you'll also need a multichannel headphone amplifier.

That is about it.  Bass traps in the corners, some gobos and some clouds will get you there with the acoustic treatment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought some of you here might find this stuff interesting, I do.
This guitar tech from Ukraine post videos of guitar shop repairs which I think are cool.

Tanya Shpachuk

Acoustic guitar headstock repair

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Since we are doing builds now.  I needed a clean boost for guitar solos since I use the "lead" channel of any amplifier to get chugga chuggas so unless I buy another amplifier I get lost in the mix during solos.

I made up a handful of billet enclosures (every once in a while owning a machine shop doesn't suck) and I've got them at anodizing now.  This was the prototype.

It works great at practice I can actually hear myself.

Now back to eyeing up used Boogie MkV:25 heads so I don't have to lug my MkIV around to shows....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#39]
That looks fantastic
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I bet most of you can at least play. I'm an awful player and I can't stop buying the damn things. They're pretty.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
I bet most of you can at least play. I'm an awful player and I can't stop buying the damn things. They're pretty.
View Quote

This would be my issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#42]
I need a fancy enclosure for my builds.

My work isn't as tidy though
Attachment Attached File

This one ended up as a rats nest
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

One of my buddies doesn't play at all but loves restoring, collecting, building guitars. I'm a mediocre player... all about the enjoyment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Czechers:

One of my buddies doesn't play at all but loves restoring, collecting, building guitars. I'm a mediocre player... all about the enjoyment.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Czechers:

Whether our not you suck at playing doesn't matter. The question is do you enjoy it?

The same applies to those playing in bands. I would rather see a band that is just OK at playing but are obviously having a great time and interacting with the crowd.

The technical guys that just stand there are boring. Sure, they have skill, but it doesn't look like they enjoy it, and the crowd just doesn't get into it.

I'm OK with being ok.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty proud of this one. Built the bass cab from scratch including the crossover to balance frequencies between the 15” sub and tweeter.

The bass was an old fender American jazz bass I picked up for $50 after some guys kid dropped it in the pool. Bought a new neck and pickups and made a custom bass out of it all and refinished the body.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
 Thats what I told my wife when I bought my PRS.  If I kicked the bucket tomorrow she could hang it on the wall as art.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

This would be my issue.
View All Quotes

This would be my issue.

Never let it stop you guys. We all sucked when we began.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

This would be my issue.

No problem with me. I love hammering on the strings like a monkey.  Plus, the added benefit of exercising my arthritic hands.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

Get a decent desktop PC and buy a Reaper license.  Grab a 4 or 8-channel Behringer USB interface, a few SM57s and maybe a LDC  and some SDCs.  Buy some Owens Corning 703 and some acoustic fabric and some JBL LSR305s.  Sounds like for what you want to do you'll also need a multichannel headphone amplifier.

That is about it.  Bass traps in the corners, some gobos and some clouds will get you there with the acoustic treatment.
View Quote

Good list.  Maybe add a better mic for vocals if he sings?

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

Thanks - after thinking about it I want to look for a mixing board that can handle multiple functions - there must be such a thing but probably big bucks to acquire it.  I think that's the key.  And I will buy a dedicated PC for this setup.  I do have a Behringer 4 channel mixer but it is at capacity now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top