Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 7:31:38 PM EDT
We are about to buy a Ford Escape does anyone have one? If so what is your opinion of them and have you had any problems?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Drove one on vaction this last Chirstmas and the wife and I loved it.  Has some horses under the hood, lots of get up and go.  A good small SUV, 4 1/2 adults, If we didnt want to have a big family we would get rid of the Suburban and get one.  Wasn't too bad on the gas can.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Had her sister, the Mazda Tribute.

Cheaper than an Escape, better warranty.

Good 4wd system, even with moderate off-roading.  Handles pretty "car-like".

I only found the power to be adequate.

Good vehicle.  

But, I wanted more/bigger, so I've upgraded to an Envoy now.  Body on frame, low range transfer case, larger, more power, better towing.......much more $$
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Wamag That is what I wanted to know. I am impressed with it for the same reasons you have stated. Looks like I know what I will be doing Monday morning.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Rented one last fall and drove from Maryland to Tampa and back.  A fairly comfortable ride, very car-like, lots of room (although there was only two of us).  I agree with F4YR, power was adequate.  If I was ever in the market for a small SUV (which I never will be), this would be at the top of the list.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend has an 02 . I drove it first . It will get up and go , it is OK for Off road .  I remember he had a recall related to the throttle some how . I will ask him next time he emails me . He moved down to WA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I remember he had a recall related to the throttle some how . I

Just a computer reprogramming for some rough idle issues.  NBD
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one last April. It's a very nice little ride. It has pleanty of horse power,smooth ride, low center of gravity [will not roll as easy], good fuel milage. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Buy it youll love it.

P.S.Get the limited.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Fight4 I did not look at the Mazda but I did look at the Honda CR-V. We qualify for the Ford X plan so the price makes it hard for me to look at another brand but I would be more comfortable getting a Jap car.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Fight4 I did not look at the Mazda but I did look at the Honda CR-V. We qualify for the Ford X plan so the price makes it hard for me to look at another brand but I would be more comfortable getting a Jap car.

The Mazda and the Ford are built on the same assembly line.  Sister's, get it?

Since you get the plan, go for the Ford, though you should qualify for the discounts on Mazdas also, or so I hear.

They use parts from all over.  It's a pretty "jap" car overall.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the information everyone!!

ark-and-spark what is the limited I cant seem to find any information on this package.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
You are correct fight4 Mazda does qualify for the x-plan and so does the Land-Rover! I will do some research on the Mazda since the Rover is for sure out of my price range, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thanks for the information everyone!!

ark-and-spark what is the limited I cant seem to find any information on this package.  

Might be the one with the Porche designed/ built engine .
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
My '02 had the shifter on the column - to appease the Japanese market.

New for '05 has the shifter on the floor.

FWD if you don't get the 4x4.

My Madza had a 4whl lock button.  I don't see that on the Ford, but their website might not show it.  Plus, they redid the 4wd for '05, so it may not even be available anymore.

ESCAPE LIMITED

The Ultimate in Luxury and Style.

In addition to the standard features on every Escape model, listed below are a few of the Limited features that are upgrades over the XLT.

Monochromatic appearance (includes A-Gloss door handles, liftgate molding, fascias and bodyside cladding.)
Premium leather trim on front low back bucket seats and rear 60/40 split seat.
Auto-dimming rearview mirror and automatic headlamps.
Message center and cargo area retractable cover
Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
16" bright machined aluminum wheels
P235/70R16 A/S BSW tires

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My '02 had the shifter on the column - to appease the Japanese market.

New for '05 has the shifter on the floor.

Yep the center console has the shifter and it is nice looking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, I rolled 50,000 miles in just over 2 years.

No problems at all.

Averaged about 20~ish mpg, and I'm a spirited driver.

Original tires (Conti) were starting to make me think about replacements, but still had lot's of life.

Single washer bottle for the front and rear was a real nice design.

Good brakes, even though the rears are drums.

The Mazda sound system was pretty good for  stock system.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Wife has an '01. Brake pads on the back don't last long, but no other problems.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My Madza had a 4whl lock button.  I don't see that on the Ford, but their website might not show it.  Plus, they redid the 4wd for '05, so it may not even be available anymore.

[

05 have a new full time 4 wheel drive that senses the need for 4 wheel drive, I am leery of it! The dealer does have an 04 that has some very good incentives and the manual four wheel drive selector.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh, I rolled 50,000 miles in just over 2 years.

No problems at all.

Averaged about 20~ish mpg, and I'm a spirited driver.

Hey I think I saw you on I-70 this summer, do you drive a black Mazda??
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

05 have a new full time 4 wheel drive that senses the need for 4 wheel drive, I am leery of it! The dealer does have an 04 that has some very good incentives and the manual four wheel drive selector.

Assuming the Ford was the same as the Mazda, the "manual" system also senses the need for 4wd, and uses it as necessary.

The manual 4wd lock button locked up the central differential, as I understand it.

For on-road use, you'll never need it.  I used it once off roading, but probably didn't even need to.

The automatic system mine had was pretty damned good.  I was following Ops down a very snow covered trail, and he was slipping and sliding around so much I got on the radio and asked if he was playing Dukes of Hazzard, because I wasn't slipping one bit.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Fight4 are the Mazda and the Escape the same vehicle?? Because there is a considerable difference in price and the incentives offered. I guess I am going to have to look at the Mazda because they do look alike.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#22]
The Mazda and Ford versions are the same, with some trim differences. Probably pricing/deals are a bit different.

I hear lots of good things about the Escape. Car & Driver loved it. Consumer Reports gave the newer one (04) a thumbs up. If I replace my pathfinder in a few years, the Escape/Tribute is on my short list of possible replacements.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Fight4 are the Mazda and the Escape the same vehicle?? Because there is a considerable difference in price and the incentives offered. I guess I am going to have to look at the Mazda because they do look alike.  

Yes!   just like the Taurus/Sable are the same basic car

go check out www.edmunds.com  good info there
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When Luis bought his , they where talking about it haveing either a Porche built or designed engine . I don't know if it is the guy blowing smoke on him or what?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a good little SUV. I have a 2001. They started out having some problems but I'm pretty sure things are sorted out now with the newest model. The most major one that some people had was with the transmission shuddering, but they got that fixed. When you get your Escape, make sure you join escape-central.com.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:16:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I just bought an 05 a couple weeks ago. My wife really wanted a stick so we got a stick/4cyl. It runs well and gets great gas mileage. the ride is really nice too. We only have 500 miles on it so I cannot comment on any long term.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks again everyone! Geish there is allot of great information on escape-central.com
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I rented one for the better part of a week this past July, and I was stunned at how great it is.

It handled extremely well, was very comfortable, and was QUICK off the line. It would, IMO, make a GREAT daily driver.

However, if anything off-road is in your future, I would NOT look at the Escape as your truck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Zaphod, It does handle well and I was impressed with the acceleration but I was even more impressed with the brakes on it. You can hammer the brakes at speed and it and it is in perfect control and the stopping distance is quit impressive.

We are not wanting the Escape for off-roading as we have  Honda's for that, Honda atv's. But we do get some snow here in Colorado and sometimes need the four wheel drive and I can not talk my wife into riding the atv to work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#31]
My wife had a 2001.  In over 3 years the only thing that went wrong with it was some kind of sensor.  Cost was 450 at the dealer.  Not too bad for arounf 50k miles.  It did have decent acceleration but.... we traded it in less than tw weeks ago.  Now we have a 2004 dodge durango.  Like it muuuuch better.  But of course they aren't in the same league.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Off the same platform, same assembly line.

Quite different trim, door handles, interior, radio, some of the controls, etc...

Quoted:

However, if anything off-road is in your future, I would NOT look at the Escape as your truck.

For serious off-roading, no.  But you'd be surprised what it can do.  Decent (8.4") ground clearance, VERY good 4wd system.

I had no troubles off-roading here in PA following Ops in his Blazer.  Both of the other guys that day were very impressed with what it could do.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Zaphod, It does handle well and I was impressed with the acceleration but I was even more impressed with the brakes on it. You can hammer the brakes at speed and it and it is in perfect control and the stopping distance is quit impressive.

Yes. That's true, too.

We are not wanting the Escape for off-roading as we have  Honda's for that, Honda atv's. But we do get some snow here in Colorado and sometimes need the four wheel drive and I can not talk my wife into riding the atv to work.

In that mode of usage, I think it would be a GREAT buy, and far less expensive than some of the full-size SUV's you see out there.

Believe me, if I need to buy myself a daily driver anytime soon, I WILL be giving SERIOUS consideration to the Escape. It is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what it was back in 1999 or so when it first came out.

Ford has a winner here. I hope they don't screw it up...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I am now the owner of a brand new 2004 Ford limited Escape that is Satin Silver I will post a picture if Hunt101 ever comes back up.  Giesh thanks for the information on escape-central.com I read on there that dealers were wanting to clear out the 2004 models because the 05 have been out for several months. I had to find a dealer with a new 2004 in stock and negotiated a deal that was $560.00 below my X-plan price using the information I got off of escape-central.com.. So I owe you a dinner if you are ever in Colorado please look me up or I am in the Fort-Worth and Houston area once in a while working and would be glad to take you and your family out to dinner. The MSRP on the Escape was 27925.00 with the incentives available to me $4000.00 and my negotiated price the total price was $21790.00 for a new 2004 limited model.

Fight4 thanks for your information and you  are absolutely correct that this SUV is a total kick in the ass to drive and the limited is the way to go.

The dealer in Salida Colorado has two more new 2004 XLT's in stock and is wanting to deal big time on them and there are some outstanding incentives available from Ford on the 2004 if anyone is interested in one I would be more than happy to help you any way I can if you want one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top