Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 1:46:36 PM EDT
http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=101351

anyone know if that vortex flash hider is any good? I heard the ones with straight prongs broke easily. That's why they got the ones with the turn in them.

any input?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
the vortex flash suppressor is considered by many to be the most effective flash suppressor. though i remember the vortex having slanted prongs, not straight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the vortex flash suppressor is considered by many to be the most effective flash suppressor. though i remember the vortex having slanted prongs, not straight.

I also remember the prongs being slanted, hence the name vortex
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, and it's one of those originals that ran the risk of opening up with heat (min never has, thank God).

It is awesome both functionally and aesthetically. Too bad they don't make it that way anymore...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
They changed to the slanted design so that the expanding gasses would tighten the Votrex unit. Some earlier designs had problems with expanding after many many rounds were fired, but the change to a slanted design was not to correct that problem.

ETA: I have one Vortex (new slanted design) and one Phantom and they're both great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
all the pix on Smith Enterprise's website show straight tine style Vortex flash hiders.

www.smithenterprise.com/0100_Vortex_Page.htm
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought they were originally slanted in the other direction and they slowly unscrewed themselves, so they changed the direction.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
They are NOT straight. I know it looks that way in the pics, but when looked at head-on, there is a noticible slant to the tines, giving the gasses a swirl as they exit, hence the name Vortex.

Also, it's that vortex action that helps in suppressing the flash, as it forces air from outside the barrel to mix better with the combustion gasses, thus cooling them faster and preventing the flash.

One thing I'm curious about is the blue-green "corrosion" that appears on the inside base of my tines when the weapon is stored in a humid place for extended periods, as I am forced to do for now...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never seen a straight Vortex.

I'm not worried about mine coming off seeing as it is pinned and welded onto a 14.5-inch barrel. It's not going anywhere!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#10]
blue-green is oxidation of copper.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm not worried about mine coming off seeing as it is pinned and welded onto a 14.5-inch barrel. It's not going anywhere!

How do you like that?
Muzzle rise?
dust signature?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you like that?
Muzzle rise?
dust signature?

I love it. It looks great, is easy to maneuver with, and flash is nil. Muzzle rise is not any worse than with a 16-inch barrel.

As for dust signature, I'm afraid I really can't say as I've not fired it prone in quite awhile, and even then never really looked for it one way or the other.

Overall, I'd give it two thumbs up. I was going to replace it with a standard A2 suppressor, but I was talked out of it, and I'm glad I was.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Just ordered one from Brownels for $45.03 after shipping. Was SERIOUSLY considering the phantom because it's supposedly almost as good at reducing flash, but about 1/2 the price. Finally ended up deciding on the G-6 vortex because it does not need to be timed and is easier to install myself. Timing the phantom would require washers/spacers, which is an added cost, and then I would have to goof with the number and torque to get it timed properly. None of the sites I browsed for phantom pricing said whether they include washer/spacers or not. Didn't want to find out they dont.

The phantom is probably still pretty easy to put on right, but I want that damn flash suppressor on IMMEDIATELY as the AWB sunsets, and the vortex is EASY to install (just screw it on by hand) and is a great flash suppressor according to everyone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Can't say that no more.  Old style with straight tines.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think I would buy from people who don't know the difference between a flash suppressor and a flash hider and that think the '94 ban was about assault rifles.

Installing it on a gun that was not classified as an "Assault Rifle" before the ban may be a violation of federal law.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
blue-green is oxidation of copper.

Ah! How foolih of me to forget that....

Reckon I didn't clean the inside of the Vortex as well as I had thought....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't think I would buy from people who don't know the difference between a flash suppressor and a flash hider and that think the '94 ban was about assault rifles.

Installing it on a gun that was not classified as an "Assault Rifle" before the ban may be a violation of federal law.

Ummmmm..... The quoted statement is accurate. If the law is dumb, it's certiainly not THEIR fault...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Can I get one for a G3 threading?  I need a US made FS for a 'next week' project.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I doubt if the slanted prongs have any effect on tightening itself, I believe they're canted to give the prongs more surface area without adding length, kind of like sloped armor if you will.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Rummage around at www.entreprise.com/.  They list more different types of Vortex FS units than Smith Enterprises, the manufacturer.

Outstanding!  They have one!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmmm..... The quoted statement is accurate. If the law is dumb, it's certiainly not THEIR fault...

No, the quoted statement is not correct.  The 1994 AWB never labeled our rifles as assault rifles, but as "Semiautomatic Assault Weapons".  You will not find "assault rifle" in that law.

It is THEIR fault if they or anyone else does not know the difference between an assault rifle and a so-called semiautomatic assault rifle.  I guess the confusion that the antis hoped to create about the difference between the 2 is working, even on gun owners who should know better.

Also, they and many others don't seem to know the difference between a flash suppressor and a flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here's a close up from a recently posted pic showing the undercuts.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=29411

Well, I'm certainly relieved to finally see visual proof that my Vortex is NOT undercut!

I had read descriptions before (pretty good ones, too), but not seen pics. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I have no idea if this is the member who supplied Tweak with the pic in question, but I believe the member's name from Finland that RAF is referring to is Tuuka. He occasionally posts nice pics of his Sig and HK long rifles and MGs with suppressors and such.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Top Top