BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 3/23/2024 1:42:12 PM EDT
twice as long

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article287009720.html

Most Americans intuitively know that higher education has become disproportionately expensive for younger generations—thanks to millions of graduates trapped in student debt. But are education costs really so out of reach for younger generations, considering new career opportunities and wage inflation? Creditnews put that theory to the test by comparing the college tuition costs of Baby Boomers and Millennials against what both generations earned after graduation.

Our analysis revealed a stark difference in the "purchasing power" of a college degree in the 1980s and today, driven by the growing disparity between tuition costs and wages. Even though Baby Boomers had it much easier back in the day, student debt is catching up with them, too.

In a twist, Boomers' student debt balances have recently exploded as many Boomers take out loans to put their kids through college.
View Quote

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Me irl talking to my booma coworker who said they were proficient at Microsoft Office but can't even open the VBA editor in Excel

Happy Gilmore - My fingers hurt
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

I’m not big on empathy at all.

I am however, a huge fan of meritocracy and rewarding accomplishment.

And not a fan of fucking people over that earned something.
View Quote

Oh I don’t like my generations idea of empathy where it basically translates to “give me free shit”. But I also don’t think it’s unreasonable for the country to look in the mirror and recognize that we’ve fucked up the system for those who will come after us. Instead we’d rather screech about how everyone is lazy, avocado toast, and bootstraps.

But you’re correct, those who did work for their shit don’t deserve to be fucked over. But neither do those of us who are currently working to get a chance at owning shit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
Also GD: All these got dayum millennials are useless and lazy. Every single one of em.

Generational absolutism is a bitch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:

GD - Family is the most important thing. Money means nothing. You should sacrifice everything to have as many kids as possible and spend as much time with your parents/kids/siblings as humanly possible.

Also GD - Fuck your family, move 8700 miles away to where the jobs and cheap houses are at (for now).

Also GD: All these got dayum millennials are useless and lazy. Every single one of em.

Generational absolutism is a bitch.

Gonna be fun when their lawyer, CPA, doctor, and pharmacist are all millennials.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

Gonna be fun when their lawyer, CPA, doctor, and pharmacist are all millennials.
View Quote

All the Billy Badass Boomers are gonna do their own taxes, wage their own court battles, and perform their own medical procedures.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Gotcha.

Things were so much easier back then but (of course) you’d rather stay here where things are so much tougher.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/CF725D69-E302-4D21-AFF1-7C1E11B1B849-2169868.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:We've done the research and math. Despite the higher interest rates of the 80s, houses still cost more now. College costs more now. Jobs pay less. There are more conveniences now. Those conveniences come with extra bills too. These are the facts.
Gotcha.

Things were so much easier back then but (of course) you’d rather stay here where things are so much tougher.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/CF725D69-E302-4D21-AFF1-7C1E11B1B849-2169868.jpg

If you view a list of facts as emotional, you are the emotional one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, guys in their 30s and 40s complaining about how much a guy in his 60s and 70s sells his house for is stupid considering those boomers 40 years ago probably had far less fancy crap and lived within their means while raising more children at an early age. Probably didn’t have much of a 401k either. That house is like a retirement investment and is only in certain areas. I have older family in rural Pennsylvania who sold their house for 20k recently.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Just like the last thread, we have lots of problems and lots of bitching. I have yet to see any solutions that would fix the problems. I can only work within the confines of my reality. I cannot affect things like what the prime rate is, it's so far removed from my ability to do anything about it, I simply don't care.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]

All the Billy Badass Boomers are gonna do their own taxes, wage their own court battles, and perform their own medical procedures.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

If you would just put down the instagram and go talk to people in real life you would have your own GigaChad™ crew of 6'4" Bob Villa etc etc etc and you wouldn't have to rely on some GOT DAYUM COMMUNIST MILLENEIALS.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#11]

GD - Family is the most important thing. Money means nothing. You should sacrifice everything to have as many kids as possible and spend as much time with your parents/kids/siblings as humanly possible.

Also GD - Fuck your family, move 8700 miles away to where the jobs and cheap houses are at (for now).

View All Quotes

Yeah, I’m not rooting in defense for the ones that see themselves as a victim.
Were some things harder?
Sure, you had to spend hours in the library looking up, copying, etc, doing references for a pub and type it up. vs doing it online from home with a word processor with a magic cite function.
Were some things more expensive?
Sure, 35 years ago a 19 inch color TV and stereo VCR on sale were the equivalent of about 2200 bucks now.
And that rack stereo system with huge speakers, dual cassette, cd six packs, and turntable was about 2700 bucks in today’s dollars.  Vs 100 bucks a month now for some streaming and internet and a $1000 phone or iPad or a 500 dollar TV.

But that’s pretty much the shit that’s not important.  The soma/opium/entertainment/ etc.

I very much understand and don’t see myself as a victim.
I grew up rural poor.  I spent an enlistment in the military.
I got married.  My wife had her associates and three years of college.
I used the GI Bill, got a work study job, plus worked extra in the reserves.
Could I have gone to college for free?
Well, if I had been raised in a different background, yes, I would have known how and done it.
I turned down an offer of admission to West Point to get married.
I took an ROTC scholarship but they changed it and the requirements and I did not take it.
My wife worked full time and I did take some small student loans that were paid off.

But-
My tuition was 1/2 proportionally what it is there now.
My exact same apartment is now 2-3 times proportionally what it was then.
Buying a three year old all weather, low mileage, reliable vehicle for work is twice as much proportionally.
Our medical insurance was 1/2 proportionally what it is now.
I knew from talking to people that had been in my shoes 20-25 years previously they had things - same apartments, same school, etc. also proportionally better than I had.  And recognized “inflation” or whatever being off in those things.

I don’t see what’s so hard about recognizing someone now in the shoes I was in 35 years ago have rent, education, transportation, and insurance costs way beyond what I did when I was struggling.  And what a shitshow the increased travel, bigger debt, worse living, etc. must be for what they can afford.

After college I went back on active duty, and was selected for an assigned to an area with massive springboard potential and opportunity.  Plus life changing education and training,  my wife worked full time plus finished her B.S.  
We bought a small SFH on a tiny lot with a tiny fenced yard 12 miles from work, with amazing schools, close to outdoor recreation, with zero crime, etc.  We worked crazy hours and were smart with our money.  That home was about 350K in today’s dollars.  Those are now 750K to 800K homes.  Someone in my exact shoes now that I was in then would have two to three times the commute, crappy schools, crime, etc, for 350K.  I was already working so many hours and things were already tight enough more vehicle and transportation expense, hours wasted commuting, etc. would have had a very negative impact.  I want some 25 year old young couple now to have things as good as I did then, if not better.  

Around a decade later I bought the big wonderful dream house that was a fantastic place to raise a family.  The oldest was in grade school, one in preschool, etc.  My wife had been able to stop working and we did single income starting around 30 when we started our family.  It was around a 475K home.  That home just sold for 775K dollars.  I could not have remotely afforded it / my life if it had been 475K a couple of decades ago instead of 300K.  Even if my wife worked full time and we did the day care and all that crap.  Which would not have worked because I averaged about 6 months of each year away from home for the decade we lived there.  We would have lived someplace way shittier with crappier schools, more crime, etc, than we did.  For the same effort and accomplishment.

Around a decade ago, or even now, I could be fully retired/not working and have 130K coming in each year.  I decided to keep working 30-40 hours a week.  My federal income taxes are about the same as the 130K passive.  But…
Still working allowed me to give the wife her farm I always promised her since I took her away decades ago, be a little more rural, keep the kids in good schools, be away from crime, pay for their college, etc.  Now, the farm was about 1M in today’s dollars.  Plus I added about 400K in todays dollars in a new building, pool, etc.  I pay property tax on an assessment of 1.2M.  The house would sell for 1.8-2M.  So, the house proportionally would have been half again as much to buy a decade ago.
Under the current economy, I would never had had this home.  Someone a decade behind me with the exact same accomplishments, drive, potential, sacrifices, efforts, etc. can’t have what I have.

Things got progressively better for young Americans -
And for various reasons have slid back -
While trying to paint over it with cheaper, fancier crap that doesn’t matter-
While the real things that matter are being stolen.

I am absolutely not a communist.
But we have fucked over the younger generations.

I’ve been told that empathy is liberal propaganda and we should all be cold heartless assholes who shame those younger than us. Or at least that’s what GD has taught me.

Also GD-
There are plenty of cheap houses!  

Just look here- this house is the same in today’s dollars as it was when it was built in 1990!  It didn’t out pace inflation…

Links to home in area with massive demographic changes where the public schools are 70% non-white and the county has the highest per-capita violent crime rate in the state

And look at this one- beautiful rural area…

Links to home in rural area surrounded by empty, abandoned textile factories, a closed furniture factory, with massive unemployment, no jobs, no opportunity, and a very disproportionate desperation, suicide, opioid abuse, meth head, and property crime stats profile

Oh- this one is great also- another beautiful rural spot-
And shows another depressed area that has gone to 40% of the local populace being illegal dairy, ag, poultry, etc. workers and also has a contaminated resovoir problem and whose highest hopes for jobs are a Walmart supply center or Amazon packing center going in 40 miles west near the interstate.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
My parents built their house in 1971 for $25,000

Today the taxes and insurance on that house are about $3,000 a year
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Also GD-

Just look here- this house is the same in today’s dollars as it was when it was built in 1990!  It didn’t out pace inflation…

Links to home in area with massive demographic changes where the public schools are 70% non-white and the county has the highest per-capita violent crime rate in the state

Links to home in rural area surrounded by empty, abandoned textile factories, a closed furniture factory, with massive unemployment, no jobs, no opportunity, and a very disproportionate desperation, suicide, opioid abuse, meth head, and property crime stats profile

And shows another depressed area that has gone to 40% of the local populace being illegal dairy, ag, poultry, etc. workers and also has a contaminated resovoir problem and whose highest hopes for jobs are a Walmart supply center or Amazon packing center going in 40 miles west near the interstate.

View All Quotes

Yeah, I’m not rooting in defense for the ones that see themselves as a victim.
Were some things harder?
Sure, you had to spend hours in the library looking up, copying, etc, doing references for a pub and type it up. vs doing it online from home with a word processor with a magic cite function.
Were some things more expensive?
Sure, 35 years ago a 19 inch color TV and stereo VCR on sale were the equivalent of about 2200 bucks now.
And that rack stereo system with huge speakers, dual cassette, cd six packs, and turntable was about 2700 bucks in today’s dollars.  Vs 100 bucks a month now for some streaming and internet and a $1000 phone or iPad or a 500 dollar TV.

But that’s pretty much the shit that’s not important.  The soma/opium/entertainment/ etc.

I very much understand and don’t see myself as a victim.
I grew up rural poor.  I spent an enlistment in the military.
I got married.  My wife had her associates and three years of college.
I used the GI Bill, got a work study job, plus worked extra in the reserves.
Could I have gone to college for free?
Well, if I had been raised in a different background, yes, I would have known how and done it.
I turned down an offer of admission to West Point to get married.
I took an ROTC scholarship but they changed it and the requirements and I did not take it.
My wife worked full time and I did take some small student loans that were paid off.

But-
My tuition was 1/2 proportionally what it is there now.
My exact same apartment is now 2-3 times proportionally what it was then.
Buying a three year old all weather, low mileage, reliable vehicle for work is twice as much proportionally.
Our medical insurance was 1/2 proportionally what it is now.
I knew from talking to people that had been in my shoes 20-25 years previously they had things - same apartments, same school, etc. also proportionally better than I had.  And recognized “inflation” or whatever being off in those things.

I don’t see what’s so hard about recognizing someone now in the shoes I was in 35 years ago have rent, education, transportation, and insurance costs way beyond what I did when I was struggling.  And what a shitshow the increased travel, bigger debt, worse living, etc. must be for what they can afford.

After college I went back on active duty, and was selected for an assigned to an area with massive springboard potential and opportunity.  Plus life changing education and training,  my wife worked full time plus finished her B.S.  
We bought a small SFH on a tiny lot with a tiny fenced yard 12 miles from work, with amazing schools, close to outdoor recreation, with zero crime, etc.  We worked crazy hours and were smart with our money.  That home was about 350K in today’s dollars.  Those are now 750K to 800K homes.  Someone in my exact shoes now that I was in then would have two to three times the commute, crappy schools, crime, etc, for 350K.  I was already working so many hours and things were already tight enough more vehicle and transportation expense, hours wasted commuting, etc. would have had a very negative impact.  I want some 25 year old young couple now to have things as good as I did then, if not better.  

Around a decade later I bought the big wonderful dream house that was a fantastic place to raise a family.  The oldest was in grade school, one in preschool, etc.  My wife had been able to stop working and we did single income starting around 30 when we started our family.  It was around a 475K home.  That home just sold for 775K dollars.  I could not have remotely afforded it / my life if it had been 475K a couple of decades ago instead of 300K.  Even if my wife worked full time and we did the day care and all that crap.  Which would not have worked because I averaged about 6 months of each year away from home for the decade we lived there.  We would have lived someplace way shittier with crappier schools, more crime, etc, than we did.  For the same effort and accomplishment.

Around a decade ago, or even now, I could be fully retired/not working and have 130K coming in each year.  I decided to keep working 30-40 hours a week.  My federal income taxes are about the same as the 130K passive.  But…
Still working allowed me to give the wife her farm I always promised her since I took her away decades ago, be a little more rural, keep the kids in good schools, be away from crime, pay for their college, etc.  Now, the farm was about 1M in today’s dollars.  Plus I added about 400K in todays dollars in a new building, pool, etc.  I pay property tax on an assessment of 1.2M.  The house would sell for 1.8-2M.  So, the house proportionally would have been half again as much to buy a decade ago.
Under the current economy, I would never had had this home.  Someone a decade behind me with the exact same accomplishments, drive, potential, sacrifices, efforts, etc. can’t have what I have.

Things got progressively better for young Americans -
And for various reasons have slid back -
While trying to paint over it with cheaper, fancier crap that doesn’t matter-
While the real things that matter are being stolen.

I am absolutely not a communist.
But we have fucked over the younger generations.

I’ve been told that empathy is liberal propaganda and we should all be cold heartless assholes who shame those younger than us. Or at least that’s what GD has taught me.

Also GD-

WHY ARE YOU LITREALLY CHE GUEVARA SON?

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:
Just like the last thread, we have lots of problems and lots of bitching. I have yet to see any solutions that would fix the problems. I can only work within the confines of my reality. I cannot affect things like what the prime rate is, it's so far removed from my ability to do anything about it, I simply don't care.
View Quote

Here’s the solutions I’ve been given in this thread:

Don’t eat avocado toast - seriously what the fuck is this shit
Drive and fix old cars - does my 15 year old Toyota count
Live within your means - people don’t do this automatically?
Don’t buy iPhones every year - 3 years of a paid off phone and counting
Don’t use DoorDash - people pay that much for food delivery?
Don’t eat out that often - budget says once every two weeks with a $30 limit

I’m probably missing some but those are the solutions I’ve been given

Oh actually, I can’t forget my favorite:

BOOTSTRAPSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Also GD-

View Quote

I was told in this thread, that the cheap houses have well paying jobs near them. Ya know like the cities do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:
View Quote

So, I decided what not to do-
Call people who did exactly what I did but can’t afford the same things I did losers, slackers, wasting money on Starbucks, etc.
Now, if you spent 200K getting a private MFA and make 40K a year between making sandwiches at the local deli and ficing music lesion, or as a school music teacher- I might not feel your pain-

And what little domain I could do something in-
Pay for all my kids college and keep them on my insurance until they graduated, and their first reliable, late model, all weather vehicles-
To more even the starting field for them so they would not have the disproportionate starting out costs compared to someone coming of age in ‘88 or ‘68, etc.

And will assist with their first land/home purchase.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#17]
But(t) eventually, if one is successful, they pull their head out of their ass and start voting more conservative.

Silents, boomies and X did…the mils and zekes have yet to do so.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:Young people have been voting for Commies for a long time. IIRC, it's a trend that started with the Boomer "hippies."
But(t) eventually, if one is successful, they pull their head out of their ass and start voting more conservative.

Silents, boomies and X did…the mils and zekes have yet to do so.

Wrong. It started in 2020 with the Elder millenials, who had a massive shift to the right. That group is likely to be majority Republican in the next election.

The major shift generally occurs around the age of 40. The millenials are just now getting to 40ish and are shifting to the right bigly. Just like the hippies boomers did.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
I'll let someone else deal with your first point. If building codes are loosening, that's a great development, but it certainly isn't common or widespread yet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
I'll let someone else deal with your first point. If building codes are loosening, that's a great development, but it certainly isn't common or widespread yet.

Minimum size restrictions are only common in upscale HOA dominated developments.  Look elsewhere.  

I'll try to be more clear: raising the price of entry level goods results in fewer market entries. Regardless of quality, elevating baseline price chills market entry. Purchasing any running car is disproportionately more costly than it was 30 years ago, new or used.

A large part of rising home prices is rising expectations of size and amenities and finish materials.  There's also the appliance efficiency mandates (Dem driven big gov intrusion) which has both increased cost and reduced lifespan of most household white goods.

And no, stickered Tercels are not everywhere. They have rusted to dust anywhere that salts their roads. Altimas now hold that market segment, and they still cost more. Likewise, the starter homes of yesteryear have received additions and renovations, elevating the market floor.

You missed my point entirely.  You attempted to equate 30 year old car availability to housing.  There are huge stocks of older houses on the market.  A decently maintained house will last a lot longer than a car.  And not all old homes have been added onto or had major upgrades in quality.  My parent's first purchased home looks 80% the same as it did when we moved out in 1973.

Perhaps the 700sf 1 bath, slab-foundation starter home in a safe neighborhood was the societal exception.

Perhaps you need to open Zillow and actually look around more.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

IM A 74 YEAR OLD MALE FROM ST GEORGE WHO NEVER LIKED ROCK UNTIL I HEARD THIS SONG. IT BROUGHT ME TO TEARS THINKING OF THE SINGERS PAIN.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rtlm:
Can you boomers please stop writing your biographies in Youtube comment sections at least? Thank you

IM A 74 YEAR OLD MALE FROM ST GEORGE WHO NEVER LIKED ROCK UNTIL I HEARD THIS SONG. IT BROUGHT ME TO TEARS THINKING OF THE SINGERS PAIN.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pug826] [#20]
32 year old millennial, married and own a house, zero debt except what’s left of the mortgage. Paid my own student loans by working 3 jobs throughout college. Went to the cheapest, closest school so I could commute. Stayed in a dump of an apartment in a bad area for 4 years after school to save money, jd cheap rent since my wife and I completely renovated the place so the next tenant could be charged a lot more. We both work two jobs each (one full time, one part time hobby that we each love and turned into a business) and chose not to have kids, and live very decently. Sacrifices must be made, and even boomers made them. I remember my parents and grandparents would never buy anything for themselves, always save money and use it for the family, always foregoing their own luxuries. Meanwhile, my friends today spend an ungodly amount on every newly released video game, fart cans for their stupid Subarus, magic cards, and order out lunch every day. Also, they mostly have kids and are not with the mother anymore.

Owning homes and living well is still absolutely attainable for my generation, but sacrifices must be made. Get married to someone you absolutely trust (no finding thots on tinder or whatever the hell it is), work at whatever job you have to, and if you have a passion and talent find a way to turn it into a business. Don’t have kids until you are absolutely ready (when debts have been paid off, income is somewhat stable after two or so years of working a job), stop hooking up with randos for one night stands, limit hobbies, etcetera

Now I do have a huge collection of board games and tabletop rpg books, so I am deep into hobbies myself, but I thrifted about all of it, and spent next to nothing. That’s a great way to maintain hobbies, and personally I love the thrill of the hunt. I also have a side business of flipping things from thrift stores and garage sales, and it has been crazy successful. If you know what you are doing, there is always a way to get by.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Me irl talking to my booma coworker who said they were proficient at Microsoft Office but can't even open the VBA editor in Excel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3IPam0PHI
View Quote

Me talking to my millennial boss last week:

"Trying to buy a house, put an offer in, gonna have to sell the newish travel trailer, maybe the newish side by side"

You just bought em less than 2yrs ago and financed one for 12yrs and the other for 5yrs good luck on that.

"Well you could offer some financial advise instead of just laughing"

Don't buy toys you can't afford when a house purchase is on the horizon, save that money.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#23]

"Trying to buy a house, put an offer in, gonna have to sell the newish travel trailer, maybe the newish side by side"

You just bought em less than 2yrs ago and financed one for 12yrs and the other for 5yrs good luck on that.

Don't buy toys you can't afford when a house purchase is on the horizon, save that money.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By greenranger:
My parents built their house in 1971 for $25,000

Today the taxes and insurance on that house are about $3,000 a year
View Quote

Wow! Taxes now cost more than 1 year of take home income was when they bought it
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:43:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:44:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trunalimunumaprzure] [#28]
Same here.

During my brief foray in the civilian world, I was what millenials despise (besides being the prior gen):  workaholic.  I did whatever they asked; sucked up OT every weekend thinking “instead of working the weekend my co”workers” have rented a houseboat and are jet skiing on Lake Powell…how can they afford to do that?  I can’t, even with the OT.

Today, those “worthless” pennies I scraped into retirement are now quite substantial ; it just takes time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure: On the whole? Yes. Absolutely.

The ones who are attempting to be somewhat responsible? No. There is no way that I could maintain the lifestyle of the person who also saved a substantial amount towards their retirement. All my peers drive cars that cost more than my house. I drive a 10 year old jeep or my wife's camry. The person who held my position before me lived on the golf course. Lakeside. I have a 35 year old double wide. I can't even afford a 30 year old 1500sq ft ranch on a bit of acreage without blowing up my retirement funds.

But fuck me for being lazy, I guess.
Same here.

During my brief foray in the civilian world, I was what millenials despise (besides being the prior gen):  workaholic.  I did whatever they asked; sucked up OT every weekend thinking “instead of working the weekend my co”workers” have rented a houseboat and are jet skiing on Lake Powell…how can they afford to do that?  I can’t, even with the OT.

Today, those “worthless” pennies I scraped into retirement are now quite substantial ; it just takes time.

When he bought the lakeside property in the mid 2010's they were only selling for $400k. I could have afforded it then, in 2015. Now you can't sniff those houses for less than $1 million.

But this is fine. Another 10 years and a few more tens of trillions printed of worthless dollars and I'm sure it'll all work itself out.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#29]
Your facts feelz generate zero emotion from me.

Well, except for
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

If you view a list of facts as emotional, you are the emotional one.
Your facts feelz generate zero emotion from me.

Well, except for

A gave a list of facts that generated an emotional response from you.

And now you claim that a list of facts is "feelz"

You can't distinguish between facts and emotions. Ironic, because that's what a lot of boomers claim about Millenials.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#30]

A gave a list of facts generated an emotional response from you.

And now you claim that a list of facts mis "feelz"

You can't distinguish between facts and emotions. Ironic, because that's what a lot of boomers claim about Millenials.
View Quote

Math is feelz, that’s a new one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Who knew arfcom has so many members who are spoiled little brats with no fucking clue how to manage their money or prioritize shit.

Jeez... here is a tip for free:
Sell that $5k AR - you shoot like stormtrooper anyhow.

We are making plans at our place to celebrate Independence day this summer, as its also our mortgage burning party!

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

IF THOSE GOD DAMN MILLINEIALS HADN'T VOTED TO GET THE GOVERNMENT INTO STUDENT LOANS SON

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By norseman1:
Who knew arfcom has so many members who are spoiled little brats with no fucking clue how to manage their money or prioritize shit.

We are making plans at our place to celebrate Independence day this summer, as its also our mortgage burning party!

View Quote

Who the fuck can afford guns? Not like I would have a place to shoot it anyway.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#34]

IF THOSE GOD DAMN MILLINEIALS HADN'T VOTED TO GET THE GOVERNMENT INTO STUDENT LOANS SON

View Quote

Got damn millenials causing problems 5 years before any of them were born.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#35]
Originally Posted By norseman1:

View Quote

Congrats on the mortgage being paid off. I hope I get a mortgage to pay off someday.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#36]
You would have to be a moron to sign for student loans for your child. Texas A&M strongly advised against it when our kids went there.  They maintained the kid needs skin in the game and they can hold down a student job while going to school instead of mommy and daddy footing the bills on credit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Boomer parents paid ____ in the 80's
My dad mad.$27/hr

Gas          $0.99 gal
Pickup     $15,000
House.     $85,000

Millennial in the 2020's
Me making $27/hr

Gas.        $4.27 gal
Pickup.   $52,000
House.   $500,000

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

It's not even math. It's just reading historical facts and current analysis / statistics and comparing them. People have even done that for them and boiled it down to simple 6th grade reading. Then the bootstrap idiots say those simple facts are feelings.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JohnnyLoco:
Also, guys in their 30s and 40s complaining about how much a guy in his 60s and 70s sells his house for is stupid considering those boomers 40 years ago probably had far less fancy crap and lived within their means while raising more children at an early age. Probably didn’t have much of a 401k either. That house is like a retirement investment and is only in certain areas. I have older family in rural Pennsylvania who sold their house for 20k recently.
View Quote

401ks weren’t needed because you could retire at 55 with a lifelong pension.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Their actual voting record from the last election indicates otherwise:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_4620-3121434.png

So hopefully your coulda/shoulda/maybe works out for you in the future…as of the last and most likely the next election…not so much.

What people fail to realize is that, statistically (not feelzistically) mils and zs are so far left that nothing short of a black swan or unlikely epiphany will shift enough to the right to make a difference.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Missilegeek: Wrong. It started in 2020 with the Elder millenials, who had a massive shift to the right. That group is likely to be majority Republican in the next election.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/576591/Screenshot_20240324-111510-3168077.png
Their actual voting record from the last election indicates otherwise:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_4620-3121434.png

So hopefully your coulda/shoulda/maybe works out for you in the future…as of the last and most likely the next election…not so much.

What people fail to realize is that, statistically (not feelzistically) mils and zs are so far left that nothing short of a black swan or unlikely epiphany will shift enough to the right to make a difference.

The graphic I posted compared 2016 to 2020. The false claim you made was that there is no shift to the right for millenials. Well there is. NYT wrote a whole article about how meaningful it is. That doesn't mean that a majority of them are voting R 4 years ago. It means more of them are shifting R, just like the hippies Boomers did. Less millennial voting for Biden than voted for Hillary and Obama. And the trend will continue for the generation, as they age.

Maybe leave the comparisons and analysis to the millennials and go learn how to save a .pdf.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:02:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#44]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#46]
We hate them, too…just because.

In reality, most of the boomers and boomer stuff we hate is really silent gen stuff but who cares, hate is hate, misplaced or otherwise.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
GOT

DAYUM

SILENTS

wait, what?

In reality, most of the boomers and boomer stuff we hate is really silent gen stuff but who cares, hate is hate, misplaced or otherwise.

If the silents were on here telling everyone to suck it up and just pay millions over the life of the mortgage for a meh house 40 miles one way from work that would have been lucky to sell for $200k ten years ago when wages haven't moved in 20 they would probably be getting memed on instead.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
GOT

DAYUM

SILENTS

wait, what?

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

My boss is a younger mil so I feel your pain amigo
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#50]
[Deleted]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top