BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 3/23/2024 1:42:12 PM EDT
twice as long

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article287009720.html

Most Americans intuitively know that higher education has become disproportionately expensive for younger generations—thanks to millions of graduates trapped in student debt. But are education costs really so out of reach for younger generations, considering new career opportunities and wage inflation? Creditnews put that theory to the test by comparing the college tuition costs of Baby Boomers and Millennials against what both generations earned after graduation.

Our analysis revealed a stark difference in the "purchasing power" of a college degree in the 1980s and today, driven by the growing disparity between tuition costs and wages. Even though Baby Boomers had it much easier back in the day, student debt is catching up with them, too.

In a twist, Boomers' student debt balances have recently exploded as many Boomers take out loans to put their kids through college.
View Quote

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:

There it is in a nutshell.  Never give up.
View Quote

I don’t think anybody in this thread, old or young, has said giving up is the answer. But the constant degradation sure don’t help.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Tents? I just went out in the desert and found some Indian ruins. Only need a Bluetooth speaker every time the hikers come through to keep em from staying too long. Who knew mud huts made for decent housing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:

Oh, well then welcome fellow stupid lazy avocado toast millennial. JLPIII and Eagerminuteman will be along shortly to give you a tour of the facilities. Please wipe your feet before entering the tents.

thnx.

Tents? I just went out in the desert and found some Indian ruins. Only need a Bluetooth speaker every time the hikers come through to keep em from staying too long. Who knew mud huts made for decent housing?

not even kidding

we looked real hard at self building an 800 sq/ft rammed earth house before packing up and leaving Arizona

realized I'd be living in a mud hut, punched out the next month.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
tent?

look at big pimpin' over here.

i'm still using a stahtah tent AKA harbour freight blue tarp.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfyrx_1jsWfBZjWrdD2cmqrEqX113zi3BS8amr7p9nSTqTKpMCN1OEEH54CtGZ0cC6cIE&usqp=CAU
View All Quotes

Oh, well then welcome fellow stupid lazy avocado toast millennial. JLPIII and Eagerminuteman will be along shortly to give you a tour of the facilities. Please wipe your feet before entering the tents.

thnx.

tent?

look at big pimpin' over here.

i'm still using a stahtah tent AKA harbour freight blue tarp.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfyrx_1jsWfBZjWrdD2cmqrEqX113zi3BS8amr7p9nSTqTKpMCN1OEEH54CtGZ0cC6cIE&usqp=CAU

This is why I work 14 days in a row, so I can splurge on dat Ozark Trail lyfe yo.

I also bought it from the clearance section.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Papposilenus] [#4]

I don't think anybody in this thread, old or young, has said giving up is the answer. But the constant degradation sure don't help.
View All Quotes

I don't think anybody in this thread, old or young, has said giving up is the answer. But the constant degradation sure don't help.

I kinda did

"Lower your standards" he's sorta been my motto

how I woed my wife too.  Hit her with that until she just kinda surrendered
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:

not even kidding

we looked real hard at self building an 800 sq/ft rammed earth house before packing up and leaving Arizona

View Quote

I’m trying to not give up on my state that quickly. But hot damn going into Phoenix makes it hard.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

thnx.

lucky.gif

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]

be me: JL Pettimore III

Big tears boomers ruined American jobs,
buys H1B tent.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]

I kinda did

how I woed my wife too
View Quote

Man my standards are at living in a fucking mud hut, what could be lower? A foxhole?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Man my standards are at living in a fucking mud hut, what could be lower? A foxhole?
View Quote
tuff shed in the home depot pahkin' lot.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]

I don’t think anybody in this thread, old or young, has said giving up is the answer. But the constant degradation sure don’t help.
View All Quotes

The fact that you aren't a multi-millionaire already is clear sign that you in fact have given up. Literally anyone who isn't lazy AF can do it in an afternoon. It isn't that hard.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm trying to not give up on my state that quickly. But hot damn going into Phoenix makes it hard.
View All Quotes

not even kidding

I'm trying to not give up on my state that quickly. But hot damn going into Phoenix makes it hard.

I just pretended Phoenix was the other end of a weird wormhole I missed falling into that transports you to East LA.  Pretty sure it's somewhere around the 202 loop
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
@eagarminuteman

all joking aside we're just a couple months of financial ruin away from being homeless.

i have no family that wood take me in so i'd probably end up sleeping in my run down 18 year old compact sedan and/or bum camping.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#13]

I just pretended Phoenix was the other end of a weird wormhole I missed falling into that transports you to East LA.  Pretty sure it's somewhere around the 202 loop
View Quote

I always figured it was right past where the 202 passes the Bass Pro in Mesa.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
@eagarminuteman

all joking aside we're just a couple months of financial ruin away from being homeless.

i have no family that wood take me in so i'd probably end up sleeping in my run down 18 year old compact sedan and/or bum camping.

View Quote

100% if the economy goes to shit, my wife and I are fucked. I’ll be back to working landscaping with the Mexicans.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]

The fact that you aren't a multi-millionaire already is clear sign that you in fact have given up. Literally anyone who isn't lazy AF can do it in an afternoon. It isn't that hard.

View Quote

Multi-millionaire before 25 would be nice. I must be lazy to not have accomplished such an insignificant feat at an early age.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

I kinda did

how I woed my wife too

A mud hut on the wrong side of the Copper Queen mine?

They got good hot dogs though
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]

100% if the economy goes to shit, my wife and I are fucked. I'll be back to working landscaping with the Mexicans.
View All Quotes
@eagarminuteman

100% if the economy goes to shit, my wife and I are fucked. I'll be back to working landscaping with the Mexicans.

oh damn

I was "Guero" on a crew WAY back in the day.

Those a-holes dropped my off with a jack hammer at about 4 am and said

"got break up that caliche guero, we'll be back to pick you up."

I said "which caliche?" Like a dumb ass

He says "all of it."

that day sucked super fucking bad, then that week sucked even worse.  I'm still shaking.

those fuckers got me through college.  Miss em. . . Sorta

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
i often think of getting a job at Costco, sleeping in my cah in their pahkin' lot, and frequenting the Costco food court for lunch and dinner.

when i see peeps with their $87,000 horse trailers with tack rooms that are nicer than anywhere i've ever lived who're spending the night at Costco in said tack room in said horse trailer i think:  wowza, muffucka's living the dream.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]

100% if the economy goes to shit, my wife and I are fucked. I’ll be back to working landscaping with the Mexicans.
View All Quotes
@eagarminuteman

Yep. I spent the second half of 2020, all of 2021 and the first half of 2022 scared to death I was going to lose my job. Having to find a different company even at similar level of responsibility would be a significant pay cut.

Don't worry though, you can always just pack everything into your MINT 1984 Dodge Colt in perfect condition and simply move to Dickbeaters, OH and find a job at the local ACE hardware making $27k a year. There are still some houses out by the condemned industrial waste site that are very reasonably priced.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]

oh damn

He says "all of it."

that day sucked super fucking bad, then that week sucked even worse.  I'm still shaking.

View Quote

I ain’t telling you fuckers my Spanish nickname. That’s a secret I’m taking to the grave.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Good ol Copper Queen mine. At this rate it’ll more likely be a mud hut outside Morenci though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Yep. I spent the second half of 2020, all of 2021 and the first half of 2022 scared to death I was going to lose my job. Having to find a different company even at similar level of responsibility would be a significant pay cut.

Don't worry though, you can always just pack everything into your MINT 1984 Dodge Colt in perfect condition and simply move to Dickbeaters, OH and find a job at the local ACE hardware making $27k a year. There are still some houses out by the condemned industrial waste site that are very reasonably priced.

View Quote
bad news, brah.

i drove the minty '87 dodge van 8700 miles east to seek my new fortune per the billy badass billionaire b**mas in Gee Dee.

dying lumberyard in dicksuck, OH only pays $8.70/hr to start and a shitbox tear down 870 SF house from 1887 is still $87,000.

teddy bear:  renters lol.  sucks to suck.  fuck you i got mine lol.  work some OT for me boi.  fuck yourself lol.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]

I ain't telling you fuckers my Spanish nickname. That's a secret I'm taking to the grave.
View Quote
i used to work with a yuge italian dude who was missing a couple fingers.

messicans nicknamed him Ocho and it stuck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't personally know any boomers who have college degrees. Only a few that I know in my GenX/Xennial peer group have them. Lots of degrees in the 35 and under group, based on resumes that come across my desk.

Completely anecdotal FWIW.
View Quote

I believe you. However, growing up in the suburbs, I know/knew quite a few college graduates among friend's parents and my parents' friends. Most were in professions that required higher education. By that I mean MD, JD, PE, CPA, et cetera, rather than jobs that "require" higher education only because the job description says so. I also had friends whose father (like mine) didn't have college degrees. Some were blue collar, some were white collar, and some were business owners. All living in the same subdivision, although some houses were larger or nicer than others.  

As far as the resumes that come across your desk, are they applying for jobs with a degree required in the job description? That's another thing that's changed. My mom worked as a secretary before she married my dad and returned to work after we kids were "old enough" to be home alone after school. She didn't have a degree. However, even entry level office jobs these days seem to require a college degree. I don't know how much of that is a real requirement, and how much is HR laziness to limit the number of applicants, but I have my suspicions.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
bad news, brah.

i drove the minty '87 dodge van 8700 miles east to seek my new fortune per the billy badass billionaire b**mas in Gee Dee.

dying lumberyard in dicksuck, OH only pays $8.70/hr to start and a shitbox tear down 870 SF house from 1887 is still $87,000.

teddy bear:  renters lol.  sucks to suck.  fuck you i got mine lol.  work some OT for me boi.  fuck yourself lol.  
View Quote
Teddy bear is gonna be mad when AOC gets elected in 2028. Hell I’m gonna be mad, but I’ll at least enjoy watching the redistribution of the 401ks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#26]
bad news, brah.

View All Quotes

bad news, brah.

Sir, this is entirely contrary to the unimpeachable anecdotes FACTS that have been presented time and time again in this very thread by our betters. You sir, are fake news.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:

I was born after 1975 . Be tough or smart, preferably both .
View Quote

Yes, but you had Sizzler's, Hometown Buffet, and antenna-connected free television for the majority of your life. Have mercy, sir.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#28]

I ain't telling you fuckers my Spanish nickname. That's a secret I'm taking to the grave.
View All Quotes

oh damn

He says "all of it."

my man

thay crew liked me

I wasn't trying to date any of their daughters

One tia though, damn.  Tamales and fresh tortillas right to an early grave

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Good ol Copper Queen mine. At this rate it'll more likely be a mud hut outside Morenci though.
View All Quotes

Good ol Copper Queen mine. At this rate it'll more likely be a mud hut outside Morenci though.

San Manuel isn't all bad

Ajos downright charming in a Yuma kinda way
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]

my man

thay crew liked me

View Quote

They liked me too. I was a high schooler gringo that worked a whole summer with them, and then decided to come back and do it all over again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Teddy bear is gonna be mad when AOC gets elected in 2028. Hell I'm gonna be mad, but I'll at least enjoy watching the redistribution of the 401ks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

If there are any packing plants nearby the starting pay is about 2x that
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By samsilk:

I believe you. However, growing up in the suburbs, I know/knew quite a few college graduates among friend's parents and my parents' friends. Most were in professions that required higher education. By that I mean MD, JD, PE, CPA, et cetera, rather than jobs that "require" higher education only because the job description says so. I also had friends whose father (like mine) didn't have college degrees. Some were blue collar, some were white collar, and some were business owners. All living in the same subdivision, although some houses were larger or nicer than others.  

As far as the resumes that come across your desk, are they applying for jobs with a degree required in the job description? That's another thing that's changed. My mom worked as a secretary before she married my dad and returned to work after we kids were "old enough" to be home alone after school. She didn't have a degree. However, even entry level office jobs these days seem to require a college degree. I don't know how much of that is a real requirement, and how much is HR laziness to limit the number of applicants, but I have my suspicions.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By samsilk:
I don't personally know any boomers who have college degrees. Only a few that I know in my GenX/Xennial peer group have them. Lots of degrees in the 35 and under group, based on resumes that come across my desk.

Completely anecdotal FWIW.

Degrees are not required, at least for any positions I would be hiring for. But they are listed as a possible alternative to having relevant experience (though I have never personally hired anyone with a degree in lieu of having at least SOME experience in the field or related). This is entry/mid level office work in the less than glamorous freight industry, not a lot of doe eyed kids fresh out of college knocking on our door. It's mostly late 20's to mid 30's who have been in the work force for a few years already.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sirensong:
i probably don't have to say it on this forum, but this is a direct result of democrat policies that claimed to be helping the poor.

Ds: "let's drastically expand the scope of federal student loan guarantees, remove the limits on how much you can borrow, and wildly liberalize creditworthiness criteria."

Rs: "that will have an inflationary effect."

Ds: "you racists."  
View Quote
Now add in the dem's looting of Social Security so that is now a monetary blackhole..........
I registered to vote on my 18th birthday as a Republican in the then Deep South which made me a political minority in a old time Hughie P Long Democrat political machine. I didn't have a choice in Social Security for they took that out my pay regardless of what I thought or did. So, don't want or need to hear Jack or Shit out of Renters except about giving it all back to me plus interest as reparations.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trunalimunumaprzure] [#35]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

A whole $60k? Got dayum I might even be able to get my wife her own MINT 1986 Ford Festiva.

JLPIII, bro. We need to head to Dickbeaters, OH stat. They paying people big city money there.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Degrees are not required, at least for any positions I would be hiring for. But they are listed as a possible alternative to having relevant experience (though I have never personally hired anyone with a degree in lieu of having at least SOME experience in the field or related). This is entry/mid level office work in the less than glamorous freight industry, not a lot of doe eyed kids fresh out of college knocking on our door. It's mostly late 20's to mid 30's who have been in the work force for a few years already.
View Quote
Allegedly, fewer listings are requiring degrees. Perhaps that is a sign of companies being more willing to train employees - and taking better measures to keep them after the investment.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#37]

They liked me too. I was a high schooler gringo that worked a whole summer with them, and then decided to come back and do it all over again.
View All Quotes

my man

thay crew liked me

summer landscaper in Arizona

we can be sure you're not lazy.. . .maybe dumb though
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

My dad’s a lineman, what do you expect?

@JLPettimoreIII
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#39]

My dad's a lineman, what do you expect?

@JLPettimoreIII
View All Quotes

@JLPettimoreIII

I kinda miss raking gravel

Like some ASMR witchcraft

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By fingas:
They talk about the purchasing power of a degree in the 80s being more than now.  I don't doubt that, I bet the number of people in college today for non-STEM, management or finance degrees is astronomically higher than the 80s.  Sorry that your degree in afroeurasian bisexual art appreciation isn't paying off the loans you took to get it.
View Quote

It's not just the 80s. I can think of 3 years of a very strong economy, until a certain Asian bug and the great idea people had to torch it all. I remember when people were being told that the only ones who had a right to any opinion were the marginalized 3rd worlders. And now, they have 3rd world problems, but, would they listen to us when we told them it doesn't work, never has, and never will?

But somehow, it's our fault that their socialist utopia is failing?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I agree.

This social security

I was recently in a small AZ town (pop 913…nine hundred and thirteen!) waiting on my crew and what do I see:  a steady stream of boomies with outlandish toys.

$125k trucks pulling even more expensive boats, quads, horse trailers, etc., $200k motor homes (like my neighbor’s!), etc.

All supported by those of us contributing to social security.
View Quote

I doubt that. No one is buying stuff like that on Social Security. Besides, the odds that they contributed far more to social security while they were working is obvious.

It's not like they did Walmart greeter for 45 years and then banged out to that lifestyle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#44]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#45]

A whole $60k? Got dayum I might even be able to get my wife her own MINT 1986 Ford Festiva.

JLPIII, bro. We need to head to Dickbeaters, OH stat. They paying people big city money there.

View Quote

note: my first cah was a not mint '88 subaru GL wagon.

perfect for sleeping in during the occasional bout of homelessness.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#46]

@JLPettimoreIII
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I agree.

This social security

I was recently in a small AZ town (pop 913 nine hundred and thirteen!) waiting on my crew and what do I see:  a steady stream of boomies with outlandish toys.

$125k trucks pulling even more expensive boats, quads, horse trailers, etc., $200k motor homes (like my neighbor's!), etc.

All supported by those of us contributing to social security.
View Quote
pics?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Unfortunately, as they sow, so shall we all we reap.
View Quote

Eli: Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#50]
@Trunalimunumaprzure

i always wonder about your fellow mericans who've never really suffered in life and therefore don't appreciate what they have.

i've been homeless a couple times and some of those were even as an adult.

one of my post college degree unemployment jobs was working as a mover.

naturally i was homeless because why pay $870/mo rent when you're never home and working on the road?

some of the best sleep i've ever gotten was on a stack of moving blankets folded up in the back of an international T4300 with the doors open in the yahd at night in the high desert of western Colorado.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top