BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 3/23/2024 1:42:12 PM EDT
twice as long

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article287009720.html

Most Americans intuitively know that higher education has become disproportionately expensive for younger generations—thanks to millions of graduates trapped in student debt. But are education costs really so out of reach for younger generations, considering new career opportunities and wage inflation? Creditnews put that theory to the test by comparing the college tuition costs of Baby Boomers and Millennials against what both generations earned after graduation.

Our analysis revealed a stark difference in the "purchasing power" of a college degree in the 1980s and today, driven by the growing disparity between tuition costs and wages. Even though Baby Boomers had it much easier back in the day, student debt is catching up with them, too.

In a twist, Boomers' student debt balances have recently exploded as many Boomers take out loans to put their kids through college.
View Quote

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Are you at corporate or the mine?

I just went by the mine…it’s still there…just a little deeper than the first time I went by it this AM.
View Quote

I’ll be working at the mine this summer. Project management engineering internship.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I’ll be working at the mine this summer. Project management engineering internship.
View Quote

Congrats, in 14 years you'll be able to afford a house at Queen's Creek or Barney Farms, but only after we take the booma's 401ks
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

Congrats, in 14 years you'll be able to afford a house at Queen's Creek or Barney Farms, but only after we take the booma's 401ks
View Quote

Shoot I want to stay out there. Started my college degree in Thatcher and I just want to go back. I like being in BFE.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
pics?
View Quote

Go to a lake campground during a holiday. Big wakeboard boats with rocking tunes, a toy hauler, 3/4 ton diesel and an SUV. There must be a surprising number of 35-40 year old anesthesiologists with chest tats and beer belly’s
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
@Trunalimunumaprzure

i always wonder about your fellow mericans who've never really suffered in life and therefore don't appreciate what they have.

i've been homeless a couple times and some of those were even as an adult.

one of my post college degree unemployment jobs was working as a mover.

naturally i was homeless because why pay $870/mo rent when you're never home and working on the road?

some of the best sleep i've ever gotten was on a stack of moving blankets folded up in the back of an international T4300 with the doors open in the yahd at night in the high desert of western Colorado.

View Quote

I hear you bro. Sometimes when it's dark and lonely and I think the weight of the world is crushing me down I think about the people before I was born who stared adversity right in the face while making $9 an hour struggling to pay the note on a $40k house. If someone can overcome those odds, anything is possible.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Shoot I want to stay out there. Started my college degree in Thatcher and I just want to go back. I like being in BFE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I got a 1 bed 1 bad in Yuma with your name on it
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

Go to a lake campground during a holiday. Big wakeboard boats with rocking tunes, a toy hauler, 3/4 ton diesel and an SUV. There must be a surprising number of 35-40 year old anesthesiologists with chest tats and beer belly's
View Quote
imagine the pussy even a got dayum millennial could pull if he could afford a wake boat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
@Trunalimunumaprzure

i always wonder about your fellow mericans who've never really suffered in life and therefore don't appreciate what they have.

i've been homeless a couple times and some of those were even as an adult.

one of my post college degree unemployment jobs was working as a mover.

naturally i was homeless because why pay $870/mo rent when you're never home and working on the road?

some of the best sleep i've ever gotten was on a stack of moving blankets folded up in the back of an international T4300 with the doors open in the yahd at night in the high desert of western Colorado.

View Quote

no joke

one of the best nights of my life was in the back of a long bed dodge in eastern Utah

Turned out I was homeless at the time.  I spent so much time wandering I didn't pay much attention to the fact that I didn't have a place besides my truck to sleep.  A girlfriend brought it to my attention after the fact

anyways, it was cold as hell in the Wilderness and a crocheted myself up a hat before I went to sleep.

The stars were something else, and just the right kinda cold

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:

I hear you bro. Sometimes when it's dark and lonely and I think the weight of the world is crushing me down I think about the people before I was born who stared adversity right in the face while making $9 an hour struggling to pay the note on a $40k house. If someone can overcome those odds, anything is possible.

View Quote
oh fuck.

stealing this one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

nice

the Galiuro Wilderness  is one of my favorite places on earth

recall a backpacking trip there where the only evidence of human life I saw was BP horse shit

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Same here.

During my brief foray in the civilian world, I was what millenials despise (besides being the prior gen):  workaholic.  I did whatever they asked; sucked up OT every weekend thinking “instead of working the weekend my co”workers” have rented a houseboat and are jet skiing on Lake Powell…how can they afford to do that?  I can’t, even with the OT.

Today, those “worthless” pennies I scraped into retirement are now quite substantial ; it just takes time.
View Quote

Overtime? I almost remember what overtime was, I've not earned overtime in six years.

Salary life sucks
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, Cho Cho, be that way!
View Quote

Nice try but it was worse than that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]
imagine the pussy even a got dayum millennial could pull if he could afford a wake boat.
View Quote

I’m guessing they are getting a 10+ year note on the boat and camper.  I don’t know if you can go past 5 on a car.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:07:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trunalimunumaprzure] [#17]
Originally Posted By 7255:

Overtime? I almost remember what overtime was, I've not earned overtime in six years.

Salary life sucks
View All Quotes
Same here.

During my brief foray in the civilian world, I was what millenials despise (besides being the prior gen):  workaholic.  I did whatever they asked; sucked up OT every weekend thinking “instead of working the weekend my co”workers” have rented a houseboat and are jet skiing on Lake Powell…how can they afford to do that?  I can’t, even with the OT.

Today, those “worthless” pennies I scraped into retirement are now quite substantial ; it just takes time.

Salary life sucks

Well there's your problem. Just demote yourself down to hourly and you'll be paying $6,000 mortgage payments like nobodies business with all the sweet sweet overtime.

Just make sure you don't work TOO much OT. Don't wanna get bumped into that next tax bracket, no sir.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Papposilenus] [#19]

View All Quotes
OK, Cho Cho, be that way!

you said they liked you?

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#20]

I’m guessing they are getting a 10+ year note on the boat and camper.  I don’t know if you can go past 5 on a car.
View All Quotes

84 months are doable now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Well there's your problem. Just demote yourself down to hourly and you'll be paying $6,000 mortgage payments like nobodies business with all the sweet sweet overtime.

Just make sure you don't work TOO much OT. Don't wanna get bumped into that next tax bracket, no sir.

View All Quotes
Same here.

Salary life sucks

I can't demote myself without being fired, so I'm looking to leave
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:

no joke

one of the best nights of my life was in the back of a long bed dodge in eastern Utah

Turned out I was homeless at the time.  I spent so much time wandering I didn't pay much attention to the fact that I didn't have a place besides my truck to sleep.  A girlfriend brought it to my attention after the fact

anyways, it was cold as hell in the Wilderness and a crocheted myself up a hat before I went to sleep.

The stars were something else, and just the right kinda cold

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#23]

I can't demote myself without being fired, so I'm looking to leave
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
With all that federal help, what could possibly have made college so much more expensive?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SwannyJ:
With all that federal help, what could possibly have made college so much more expensive?
View Quote

Avocado Toast™

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
This is fine, everything is fine
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Go to a lake campground during a holiday. Big wakeboard boats with rocking tunes, a toy hauler, 3/4 ton diesel and an SUV. There must be a surprising number of 35-40 year old anesthesiologists with chest tats and beer belly’s
View Quote

30 Year Old Boomers go Fishing
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I agree.

This social security

I was recently in a small AZ town (pop 913…nine hundred and thirteen!) waiting on my crew and what do I see:  a steady stream of boomies with outlandish toys.

$125k trucks pulling even more expensive boats, quads, horse trailers, etc., $200k motor homes (like my neighbor’s!), etc.

All supported by those of us contributing to social security.
View Quote

You must be smoking the good stuff if you think SS is paying for $125k truck. I hope you come down to earth before it is too late and have to live on just SS.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Says the guy who works at/for an open pit mine.

Your mine is their back yard…well, technically the tailings.
View Quote

Shit they pay me, I work. I was told this is how life works.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Standard for the poors is 72 months on cars.

Anything more than 36 and you’ll always be underwater.
View Quote

Sometimes literally in Houston.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]
This is fine, everything is fine
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:21:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: O_Guiness] [#35]
Originally Posted By pug826:
32 year old millennial, married and own a house, zero debt except what’s left of the mortgage. Paid my own student loans by working 3 jobs throughout college. Went to the cheapest, closest school so I could commute. Stayed in a dump of an apartment in a bad area for 4 years after school to save money, jd cheap rent since my wife and I completely renovated the place so the next tenant could be charged a lot more. We both work two jobs each (one full time, one part time hobby that we each love and turned into a business) and chose not to have kids, and live very decently. Sacrifices must be made, and even boomers made them. I remember my parents and grandparents would never buy anything for themselves, always save money and use it for the family, always foregoing their own luxuries. Meanwhile, my friends today spend an ungodly amount on every newly released video game, fart cans for their stupid Subarus, magic cards, and order out lunch every day. Also, they mostly have kids and are not with the mother anymore.

Owning homes and living well is still absolutely attainable for my generation, but sacrifices must be made. Get married to someone you absolutely trust (no finding thots on tinder or whatever the hell it is), work at whatever job you have to, and if you have a passion and talent find a way to turn it into a business. Don’t have kids until you are absolutely ready (when debts have been paid off, income is somewhat stable after two or so years of working a job), stop hooking up with randos for one night stands, limit hobbies, etcetera

Now I do have a huge collection of board games and tabletop rpg books, so I am deep into hobbies myself, but I thrifted about all of it, and spent next to nothing. That’s a great way to maintain hobbies, and personally I love the thrill of the hunt. I also have a side business of flipping things from thrift stores and garage sales, and it has been crazy successful. If you know what you are doing, there is always a way to get by.
View Quote

Quiet, please! Your age cohorts have a well formed circle jerk underway, and I think there are three serious contenders for pivot man. Don't disrupt the pity party.

You have received no replies to your comment because there were no redundant memes or goober spellings in your statement.

Can't you see that you should give up and become one of the jlII or trunlkjbhnlihn (whatever the fuck) group of whiners?

You are probably a well rounded person and don't need the approval of your juvenile peers.

Edit @pug826 thought you might like to see this.  A man of your stature will probably not revisit this thread.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By O_Guiness:

Quiet, please! Your age cohorts have a well formed circle jerk underway, and I think there are three serious contenders for pivot man. Don't disrupt the pity party.

You have received no replies to your comment because there were no redundant memes or goober spellings in your statement.

Can't you see that you should give up and become one of the jlII or trunlkjbhnlihn (whatever the fuck) group of whiners?

You are probably a well rounded person and don't need the approval of your juvenile peers.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pug826:
32 year old millennial, married and own a house, zero debt except what’s left of the mortgage. Paid my own student loans by working 3 jobs throughout college. Went to the cheapest, closest school so I could commute. Stayed in a dump of an apartment in a bad area for 4 years after school to save money, jd cheap rent since my wife and I completely renovated the place so the next tenant could be charged a lot more. We both work two jobs each (one full time, one part time hobby that we each love and turned into a business) and chose not to have kids, and live very decently. Sacrifices must be made, and even boomers made them. I remember my parents and grandparents would never buy anything for themselves, always save money and use it for the family, always foregoing their own luxuries. Meanwhile, my friends today spend an ungodly amount on every newly released video game, fart cans for their stupid Subarus, magic cards, and order out lunch every day. Also, they mostly have kids and are not with the mother anymore.

Owning homes and living well is still absolutely attainable for my generation, but sacrifices must be made. Get married to someone you absolutely trust (no finding thots on tinder or whatever the hell it is), work at whatever job you have to, and if you have a passion and talent find a way to turn it into a business. Don’t have kids until you are absolutely ready (when debts have been paid off, income is somewhat stable after two or so years of working a job), stop hooking up with randos for one night stands, limit hobbies, etcetera

Now I do have a huge collection of board games and tabletop rpg books, so I am deep into hobbies myself, but I thrifted about all of it, and spent next to nothing. That’s a great way to maintain hobbies, and personally I love the thrill of the hunt. I also have a side business of flipping things from thrift stores and garage sales, and it has been crazy successful. If you know what you are doing, there is always a way to get by.

Is your shift at Burger King over already?

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
nice personal attack there, chief.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

LOL renter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#39]

LOL renter.
View All Quotes

LOL renter.

lol I own a house you fuck wit

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

What personal attack? Feelings on sleeves?  Spell it out, how do you "feel" attacked?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: O_Guiness] [#41]
View Quote

View Quote

Now that is a personal attack.

Should I cry and report him Mr. Mod? @JLPettimoreIII
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Where did any of us here say we “give up” lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

cry more than you already are?

scary people under 50 said things that triggered my fee fees on arfcom. muh fragile out of date by 30 years world view.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Where did any of us here say we “give up” lol
View Quote

Whining about the bad deal you have isn't ever going to get you anywhere. How about pushing forward and being the best man you can, in the current times?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#45]

cry more than you already are?

scary people under 50 said things that triggered my fee fees on arfcom. muh fragile out of date by 30 years world view.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#46]

GigaChad™ thread again.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Millennial with $6k/mo mortgage checking in
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By HLB0302:

Millennial with $6k/mo mortgage checking in
View Quote
hellyeahbrother.gif

the idea of spending 87% of my take home pay on a place to live means i could never do what you're doing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
you do whatever you gotta do there, cowboy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#50]

GigaChad  thread again.

View Quote
is there any other kind?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top