[Last Edit: Jinxsters]
Ship hit it allegedly?

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By basicAR:

Typical GD mouthbreathing ignorance..
View Quote

Why do you like making fun of physically handicapped people.  Do you also despise the blind and people with cancer?

Also, DU is an extremist hate site, it's a better place to make fun of the disabled.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

lol…the knowledge to build bridges is well beyond what it was historically. I would guess regulation & permitting has gotten significantly worse…which also ties back to corruption. The other thing that can’t be dismissed is risk aversion…11 people died building the Golden Gate Bridge, if half that died rebuilding this bridge the lawsuits would double the cost of the bridge and the project owners would be drug in front of congress and crucified in the media. Being safer is great but it normally means more people, more time and more money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fox2008:
Originally Posted By Socio:

They were taking about this on the radio this morning; that back then people knew how to build bridges, today not so much, that with the dumbing down our education system, going from a meritocracy based education and hiring system to a DEI  based system, and the massively increased government regulatory system they speculated at least 20 years before the new bridges completion. That as a result the construction of it will be plagued with failures and flaws far after it is finished.

To me that makes sense, just looking at road work/construction today, at least around where I live,  I bet it is taking easily 5-10 times longer for jobs to be completed than it did 20 years ago even with all the technological advancements since then.

lol…the knowledge to build bridges is well beyond what it was historically. I would guess regulation & permitting has gotten significantly worse…which also ties back to corruption. The other thing that can’t be dismissed is risk aversion…11 people died building the Golden Gate Bridge, if half that died rebuilding this bridge the lawsuits would double the cost of the bridge and the project owners would be drug in front of congress and crucified in the media. Being safer is great but it normally means more people, more time and more money.

It took them less than 5 years to rebuild the I-10 twin span bridge after it was destroyed by Katrina, and that is a much longer bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-10_Twin_Span_Bridge
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm finally back in the US with unfiltered internet. Sitting at the  cruise port in Norfolk because we can't dock in Baltimore. We get to ride a bus for 4+ hours to retrieve our minivan and drive home. It's going to be awesome.

So how tall does ARf think the replacement should be?

The Bay Bridge and the original Key Bridge are/were both 158', severely limiting the ships that can reach the harbor.

The two Bay Bridge spans were built in '52 and '73.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sailboat:
Don't bother with the conspiracy people. Videos of the crash and moments leading up to it are all over YouTube. It's a sad situation and nothing nefarious. Some people lean on conspiracy theories to help understand things they cannot grasp, scary but I get it.

I've seen a Prius crash with the engine laying on the road. I've also seen some others with engines outside of the vehicle but there was some of the vehicle with the engine. None of those were at the speed of that Bentley.

View Quote
I discovered later he was being facetious. Other people said engine blocks don't separate in wrecks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By chibajoe:

It took them less than 5 years to rebuild the I-10 twin span bridge after it was destroyed by Katrina, and that is a much longer bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-10_Twin_Span_Bridge
View Quote
That bridge is mostly a causeway. It has a small arched section or two that permits barge traffic to go in and out of Lake Ponchartrain.

There are no major ports on Lake Ponchartrain.

The arched sections aren't designed to pass Panamax much less Suezmax vessels.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

The Bay Bridge and the original Key Bridge are/were both 158', severely limiting the ships that can reach the harbor.

Kharn
View Quote

It wouldn't hurt to make the Key bridge taller if the cost is going to be negligible - relatively speaking.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense since the bay bridges limit the height of what gets to the Key bridge but it wouldn't hurt for possible future port expansion capabilities.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14j6kf_L3Q
View Quote

Didn't watch, but premise ignores that original Sunshine Skyway was also unprotected.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Because they're designed to. The engines come out STUPID easy in a crash, or a bomb blast
View All Quotes
Don't bother with the conspiracy people. Videos of the crash and moments leading up to it are all over YouTube. It's a sad situation and nothing nefarious. Some people lean on conspiracy theories to help understand things they cannot grasp, scary but I get it.

I've seen a Prius crash with the engine laying on the road. I've also seen some others with engines outside of the vehicle but there was some of the vehicle with the engine. None of those were at the speed of that Bentley.

Because they're designed to. The engines come out STUPID easy in a crash, or a bomb blast
We know .
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
I discovered later he was being facetious. Other people said engine blocks don't separate in wrecks.
View All Quotes

I wish people would put something in their post when being sarcastic. We have so many tards and flat earthers here that I can never tell if someone is serious or lot, I just assume they're serious.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Torches, rigging, and crane(s) to get the channel clear...along with divers and support craft/barges.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Didn't watch, but premise ignores that original Sunshine Skyway was also unprotected.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14j6kf_L3Q

Which is why I keep posting this pic.  This is what the new Francis Key bridge is going to look like.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By brass:

Well, to be fair.....

https://i.imgur.com/XtKaHT2.jpg

View Quote

I’m living proof that you can believe our federal (and most state) government is evil, immoral, corrupt, crooked, devious, underhanded, disingenuous, nihilistic, satanic, perverse, counterproductive, and just plain stupid, and still also believe that sometimes crap happens and it wasn’t government’s fault, nor intention, in any direct way.

*shrug*.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how long until smaller ships will be able to pass through, and if they will do a partial opening.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm finally back in the US with unfiltered internet. Sitting at the  cruise port in Norfolk because we can't dock in Baltimore. We get to ride a bus for 4+ hours to retrieve our minivan and drive home. It's going to be awesome.

Kharn
View Quote

GO VISIT THE BATTLESHIP!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
It's hard to build a cable stayed bridge that looks ugly.

Bridges aren't buildings. Going to be difficult to apply style terms like brutalist to a bridge.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

They won't. It'll be a triumph of brutalist utilitarianism. No matter how much time and money they throw at it.
It's hard to build a cable stayed bridge that looks ugly.

Bridges aren't buildings. Going to be difficult to apply style terms like brutalist to a bridge.

You're right, if it's cable stayed it'll likely be at least somewhat attractive. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Pocahontas parkway bridge over the James.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
I wonder how long until smaller ships will be able to pass through, and if they will do a partial opening.
View Quote

There’s a coast guard 87 (CGC mako) that’s been out there doing a safety zone. If you look at its public AIS track, it’s moved above and below the bridge, going under the un-collapsed section on the west side. It’s still 20+ feet over there and the navigational draft (2x physical draft) of that class is only 12 feet. So as long as the Captain of the Port allows it, the path exists. I would bet it’s still declared closed for the safety of salvage operations though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

Not sure what's going on here.  Is there a suggestion that illegal workers filling pot holes on the bridge somehow caused the ship to crash into the bridge?
View Quote

The ship's crew were all Indian guys, paid around $2-3/hour.  They were responsible for maintaining and operating the ship.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#18]

There’s a coast guard 87 (CGC mako) that’s been out there doing a safety zone. If you look at its public AIS track, it’s moved above and below the bridge, going under the un-collapsed section on the west side. It’s still 20+ feet over there and the navigational draft (2x physical draft) of that class is only 12 feet. So as long as the Captain of the Port allows it, the path exists. I would bet it’s still declared closed for the safety of salvage operations though.
View Quote

I reckon the Navy is going to move its assets the f__k out of there the literal moment it becomes physically possible.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
When dudes are flame cutting the steel members, how do they know that a massive amount of stored energy won’t be released when they complete the cut and unalive their asses?

Or do they use expendable/disposable type guys for this type of work?
View Quote

There comes a time when decisions must be made. Do we send the union in or the illegals?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By xd341:
sank?  Nah, that will get recycled.  10K tons of steel at 3 cents a pound!  It's half a million bucks in scrap.  Does baltimore have tweakers?  They'd have it cleaned up in no time.

It'll be car bodies or structural beams in a year or two.
View Quote

All the concrete will be dumped off shore for artificial reefs. Depending on costs vs salvage on the metal. At least that’s what they do down here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Salvage at the Baltimore collapse site of the Francis Scott Key Bridge is well underway.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Tried to take a peak this morning...they won't let you anywhere near it on the Anne Arrundel side.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

GO VISIT THE BATTLESHIP!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Kharn

GO VISIT THE BATTLESHIP!

I could see the prow for about five minutes while waiting for our bus. It's Easter, everything is closed.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:11:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#24]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371724/20240331_091154_jpg-3174508.JPG

Tried to take a peak this morning...they won't let you anywhere near it on the Anne Arrundel side.
View Quote

What are you trying to say?

They won't let you see the wrecked bridge in some way?

Is the pic supposed to show chemtrails or something else?  For what purpose?

ETA:  Now I see the 'barriers' in the pic.  That's what is preventing folks from looking at the bridge from land or something?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#25]

You're right, if it's cable stayed it'll likely be at least somewhat attractive. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Pocahontas parkway bridge over the James.
View Quote
No pics?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:29:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:

The ship's crew were all Indian guys, paid around $2-3/hour.  They were responsible for maintaining and operating the ship.  

View Quote

Are you implying the crew of a foreign flagged vessel were in the U.S. illegally, taking U.S. citizen jobs and collecting welfare?  

Not even mad.  Impressed actually.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Somewhere on arfcom, someone can't understand why a bridge crash didn't cause a giant 2 stroke Marine diesel to fly out of the ship and land somewhere.
View Quote

I am just asking questions!!!!!

Bunker fuel can't melt steel beams!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Because they’re designed to. The engines come out STUPID easy in a crash, or a bomb blast
View Quote

Ha! You believe engines are real open your eyes engines are made up by the WEF and the global elite to make us eat bugs!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

That’s decent money for India.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#31]
When dudes are flame cutting the steel members, how do they know that a massive amount of stored energy won’t be released when they complete the cut and unalive their asses?

View Quote

Pay attention?  Metal starts to move, get the fuck out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Kharn
View Quote

I like the "use a fucking ferry" approach.  Clear the port, fuck the bridge.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Waze says my bus is 50 minutes from Baltimore, but they've already updated the map.

Attachment Attached File

Ooof.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

View Quote
Lots of stored energy can suddenly turn highly kinetic before you have a chance to get the fuck out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#35]
From the COE

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

.... Bunker fuel can't melt steel beams!
View Quote

Bunker fuel?  I thought big ships burned big coal!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Bunker fuel?  I thought big ships burned big coal!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#38]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#39]
What's the going rate for commercial divers who are going to "disassemble" the bridge for removal?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#41]
No pics?
View All Quotes

No pics?

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Are you implying the crew of a foreign flagged vessel were in the U.S. illegally, taking U.S. citizen jobs and collecting welfare?  

View All Quotes

I'm implying they are probably worth only $2-3/hour.   Very little training, experience, certification.  

AFAIK, while they're on the ship, they're legal because they're technically outside the USA.  But they'll need a passport and visa to step off the ship into the USA.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#43]

I'm implying they are probably worth only $2-3/hour.   Very little training, experience, certification.  

AFAIK, while they're on the ship, they're legal because they're technically outside the USA.  But they'll need a passport and visa to step off the ship into the USA.
View Quote

That’s kinda the funny thing about how people are upset the sailors are being kept on the ship. They don’t have entry visas to the USA so why would we let them in? They’ll probably tow the ship to a yard to get the bow repaired and they’ll stay on it there too. They aren’t Americans and don’t have permission to come here. What are we going to do, put them up in a hotel and then “make sure” they don’t disappear in to the country side?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:30:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#44]
(10:19) Interesting info on the incoming cargo shipments.

MV Dali and the Francis Scott Key Bridge | March 31 Update & Who Pays for the Salvage?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Kharn
View Quote
You should have hit me up I would have taken yall out for dinner.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

The ship's draft might be the factor unless Maryland wants to dig the channel deeper.

Maybe not, ships for the Suez Canal can go to 17 meters, 55 feet.  Most of the rest are similar to Dali.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By Cycolac:

Kharn

It wouldn't hurt to make the Key bridge taller if the cost is going to be negligible - relatively speaking.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense since the bay bridges limit the height of what gets to the Key bridge but it wouldn't hurt for possible future port expansion capabilities.

The ship's draft might be the factor unless Maryland wants to dig the channel deeper.

Maybe not, ships for the Suez Canal can go to 17 meters, 55 feet.  Most of the rest are similar to Dali.

The Baltimore harbor is dredged to 50' deep, the Key Bridge's former span and both spans of the Chesapeake Bay bridge are 158' to the water line.
It is a very undersized port for today's ships.

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -SkyRaider-] [#47]

The Baltimore harbor is dredged to 50' deep, the Key Bridge's former span and both spans of the Chesapeake Bay bridge are 158' to the water line.
It is a very undersized port for today's ships.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/Ship_measurements_comparison_svg_png-3174990.JPG

Kharn
View Quote

God damn.  A Chinamax drafts 79 feet.  Down by the keel is practically like a submarine at that point.  I wonder how thick the hull is down there to resist the pressure.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Mayor Pete says he has no idea when the damaged bridge will be cleared.  LOL.  
https://nypost.com/2024/03/31/us-news/buttigieg-says-timeline-for-clearing-baltimore-bridge-unclear-a-very-complex-process/
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Dali size container ship steering system. How it’s designed to not hit Francis Scott key bridge

Dali size containership steering system. How it’s designed to not hit Francis Scott key bridge
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

I climb trees and cut them down. Wouldn't catch me anywhere near that mess with a torch/lance, braver men than I.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top