Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/26/2024 9:41:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy]
Price isn’t an issue. I am just looking for a very high quality brand. Brown leather bound. King James, not that it matters as I suspect the printer will make different versions.

I keep running across “thin line” but I am really not sure that is the brand.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:56:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#1]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread has been amazing but King James was deeply flawed morally, worse than Trump.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:19:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#3]
You have to be careful which one you get. Most modern Bible printers attempt to cheap out and short you by about 12 books. And they don't include all the Psalms
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:
I like the Macarthur study Bible

View Quote

I have that one and another.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Johnny Mac study Bible in ESV.  Otherwise I use the computer or phone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Piwo_Slump] [#6]
I'm surprised the expensive ones don't have gilded edge and thumb notches. I remember that was partly a sign of top quality years back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure the one you buy has all the books in it
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
MacArthur study bible

check it out
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#9]
Free Gideon King James bibles at hotels all over the country for the taking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
KJV  - Pure Cambridge Edition

https://archive.org/details/king-james-bible-pure-cambridge-edition-pdf
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a church I'd ask you pastor
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the eSword app for your phone or computer. It can download loads of different versions, most of them are free.
There are some pay versions, like the NKJV.

Then you can pick which one you like easier.

I have several of them loaded and go back and forth between versions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PoiDog:
Get the eSword app for your phone or computer. It can download loads of different versions, most of them are free.
There are some pay versions, like the NKJV.

Then you can pick which one you like easier.

I have several of them loaded and go back and forth between versions.
View Quote

I specifically want KJV. I am just asking for specific brands. I think it will be the Schuyler.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#14]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thedave1164:
I just bought a new bible last week, this is the one I wanted but ended up with bonded leather because budget

https://www.christianbook.com/kjv-thompson-reference-collection-goatskin-leather/9780310459279/pd/459270?event=ESRCQ
View Quote

A quick glance at the first page, it appears to have typographical errors. I know the wording can be different among versions, so perhaps i am wrong.

"10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas:"

I am assuming it should read the Seas.

I have my mothers Catholic Action Edition, which reads: "God called the dry land Earth and the assembled waters Seas."

The one review it has the person indeed references typographical errors.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:35:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snubfan] [#16]
OP, visit Bible Gateway and you can review different translations and conduct keyword searches. It's an excellent online resource as you study the Bible.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Price isn’t an issue. I am just looking for a very high quality brand. Brown leather bound. King James, not that it matters as I suspect the printer will make different versions.

View Quote

Haunt your local goodwills and find a vintage nicely bound one.  In some ways it’s depressing because people toss what should be an heirloom but then again you’re also rescuing it
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#18]
This is what I have.  Not spendy at all, but the quality is very nice.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#20]
IBTL
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#21]
gutenberg
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#22]
Originally Posted By gpoman:
IBTL
View Quote

Honestly it’s been pretty tame this far. One or two asinine comments, but that was expected.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
You can pick up a nice original Gutenberg for about 3 or 4 million.
View Quote

One of the Vegas hotels had a curio shop that had a couple of Gutenberg pages for sale for around $25k each.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a man who sought me.. The Christ: Jesus.

What you read won't matter without Him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Companion Bible. Leather bound or hard cover. The Appendixes are worth every penny plus All the Hebrew/Greek references. KJV of course. I’ve got about 20 Bibles and this is the best by a long shot.
https://www.ewbullingerbooks.com/catalog/companion-bible-genuine-leather-black-e-w-bullinger-9780825422379
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By grumpalicious:
I hear the Orange Catholic Bible is all the rage in the universe.
View Quote

Galactic problems require Galactic solutions...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BrownShoes:
I went on a search within the last year. That's when I found out about high-end Bibles. Some YT videos gave the appearance that they worshipped the object a little too much. The Word being most important.

But I did get a high-end Bible. Two actually. I couldn't make up my mind, so I went with the "get both" mentality. I liked them both for different reasons.

Cambridge Turquoise and Schuyler Canterbury.

Now that I've had them for about 3 months, I'm settled on the Schuyler as the better of the two. YT  videos introduced me to a feature called a yap. I didn't think I would like or care about it, but the Schuyler has a partial yap and it just feels good in the hand.
   Another feature it has is a "King's English glossary of terms" that's pretty cool when you want to know what some of the KJV words mean.
  The type is clean and easy to read.

The Cambridge Turquoise has some typesetting issues a high-end Bible shouldn't have. Some words are run together.... no space in between. It's not really a bother to me, just a quality issue that slipped through.
  And it has the "Words of Christ in red while He walked on earth". Which means that His words in Revelation are not in red.
  The typeface is an older style that I like.
   The pronunciation marks are fuller

They both came from EvangelicalBibles.com. I wanted to go somewhere and and physically do my search, but couldn't find a place to do that. This place had returns, but I had my name put on both so that nixed that.

Hope I've helped

View Quote

Does the Schuyler have all the Books and Psalms?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike:
This thread has been amazing but King James was deeply flawed morally, worse than Trump.
View Quote

I've got news for you, my friend. We are all deeply flawed. Those lucky enough to be accepted will be few and far between.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrownShoes] [#30]
Originally Posted By J-Dam:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By J-Dam:
Originally Posted By BrownShoes:
I went on a search within the last year. That's when I found out about high-end Bibles. Some YT videos gave the appearance that they worshipped the object a little too much. The Word being most important.

But I did get a high-end Bible. Two actually. I couldn't make up my mind, so I went with the "get both" mentality. I liked them both for different reasons.

Cambridge Turquoise and Schuyler Canterbury.

Now that I've had them for about 3 months, I'm settled on the Schuyler as the better of the two. YT  videos introduced me to a feature called a yap. I didn't think I would like or care about it, but the Schuyler has a partial yap and it just feels good in the hand.
   Another feature it has is a "King's English glossary of terms" that's pretty cool when you want to know what some of the KJV words mean.
  The type is clean and easy to read.

The Cambridge Turquoise has some typesetting issues a high-end Bible shouldn't have. Some words are run together.... no space in between. It's not really a bother to me, just a quality issue that slipped through.
  And it has the "Words of Christ in red while He walked on earth". Which means that His words in Revelation are not in red.
  The typeface is an older style that I like.
   The pronunciation marks are fuller

They both came from EvangelicalBibles.com. I wanted to go somewhere and and physically do my search, but couldn't find a place to do that. This place had returns, but I had my name put on both so that nixed that.

Hope I've helped

Yes it does. And all the books are double columns except for Psalms which is single column.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Can i ask why you want king james?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#32]

I will likely go with one of these. I guess I realized there were a lot of versions...but there are a lot of versions. Single column, notes, etc.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oakley:
Thomas Nelson Premier collection is very nice.

Schuyler

Cambridge

R.L. Allan

Humble Lamb

I will likely go with one of these. I guess I realized there were a lot of versions...but there are a lot of versions. Single column, notes, etc.

@Canoeguy

Pick a text and get it rebound to your specification.

https://ptlbiblerebinding.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#33]
If you wanted to be fancy, you could get one of these rebound:

https://www.bardinmarsee.com/p-99-kjv-waterproof-bible-camouflage.aspx
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Definitely King James Version Study Bible.  Newer versions have nifty interpretations that change the meaning from the original manuscripts.  KJV is bad enough with that, but others seem more intentional.

I have a Nelson Study Bible that's been sturdy.  Large text.  I also have a Holman that is well made, but not a study Bible.  I use the Nelson most.

I would try to get a good cover material, maybe leather.  I suspect vinyl would be weak.  Be sure to get the thumb tabs, and of course, words of Jesus in red.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#35]
ESV Study Bible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tveddy:
Can i ask why you want king james?
View Quote

Familiarity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Oakley:
Thomas Nelson Premier collection is very nice.

Schuyler

Cambridge

R.L. Allan

Humble Lamb

View Quote

Humble Lamb makes some great Bible...with the only problem being a Chinese source.

Ebay also has great deals on vintage Bibles.
Paper and print quality is a huge deal...if you open it and find it easy to read with minimal bleed through it makes it much easier on the eye strain.

Older Holman and World publishing can be found on there quite easily.

Some of the new and even pricy Bible has an odd print type that just seems a bit harsh to my eyes. Check the websites for pictures of the text block.

Hit up your local used book store and just thumb through various Bible which will help you figure out what you want.

sending you an ebay link.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#38]
1599  Geneva
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:07:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawnydog] [#40]

I specifically want KJV. I am just asking for specific brands. I think it will be the Schuyler.
View Quote
All KJV will be translated exactly the same, kind of. I mean, you won't get the 1611 verbage, but all modern KJV will be the same words. Where you have to go from there is, do you want bare bones Gideon Bible, one with concordance, interlinear, commentary, all kinds of bells and whistles. Just do a Google search for what, if any, "upgrades" you want and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Familiarity.
View Quote
I use NASB and ESV, but I agree that certain passages just don't sound right until it's got a "thy," "ye," or "art".
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I like NLT for easier reading with a NKJ for clarifications.

Or did you mean brand as in what printing company?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:

View Quote

Yes, the printing/binding company.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pineywoodsbuck] [#44]
I recently bought a new KJV Study Bible
Red letter edition , large print , brown leather

Bought my wife a new NKJV , she has a little trouble with the KJV verbiage
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
All KJV will be translated exactly the same, kind of. I mean, you won't get the 1611 verbage, but all modern KJV will be the same words. Where you have to go from there is, do you want bare bones Gideon Bible, one with concordance, interlinear, commentary, all kinds of bells and whistles. Just do a Google search for what, if any, "upgrades" you want and go from there.
View All Quotes

There are minor differences between at least some of the texts depending on if it's ... going by very foggy memory here ... cambridge or oxford edition.

The differences between the 1611 and the 1769 blayney edition are quite noticeable, and virtually all kjv nowadays are based on that revision.  

Irony, there were two versions of the 1611 *at initial release*

1611 he  vs 1611 she - I forget in what specific verse.

As best as we can figure out, the original manuscript got broken up, or there were two of them.  Much ink spilt and angst has happened on the topic of trying to re-assemble a "true" 1611 original manuscript. At this late date I would say it is impossible for us to do that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:

If you get the book rebound you can have any text you want in any option of binding that the rebinder offers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

There are minor differences between at least some of the texts depending on if it's ... going by very foggy memory here ... cambridge or oxford edition.

The differences between the 1611 and the 1769 blayney edition are quite noticeable, and virtually all kjv nowadays are based on that revision.  

As best as we can figure out, the original manuscript got broken up, or there were two of them.  Much ink spilt and angst has happened on the topic of trying to re-assemble a "true" 1611 original manuscript. At this late date I would say it is impossible for us to do that.
View Quote
Well now, there it is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#48]
So just an update. The Schuyler bibles I am interested in won’t be in until August. Pre-order in late June.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Well now, there it is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Well now, there it is.

All that stuff is just the consequence of how print media and publican/translation by committee works. The history is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#50]
So just an update. The Schuyler bibles I am interested in won’t be in until August. Pre-order in late June.
View Quote

@Canoeguy

My opinion is that Schuyler produces the best bible. I had one gifted to me many years ago. I have currently been on a kick if buying all the Thomas Nelson Premier bibles. I don't know why, but I enjoy their quality for the price. I currently favor the NKJV, but also have ESV and KJV on the shelf. If you remember.. let me know how long it takes from time of order to receiving your Schuyler. I may also jump in on a couple.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top