Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Fallout Amazon series (Page 1 of 35)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 4/9/2024 12:52:06 PM EDT
Looks like all the other threads went to archive. Season drops tomorrow at 6pm PST. I'm sure it'll have some shit that annoys me, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Fallout isn't even fallout anymore.

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hostile1:

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.
View Quote

So edgy
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Virtual transvestites.   Like regular trannies, but less courage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By fike:
Female protagonist, so arfcom won’t like it as they “can’t see themselves” in the character.

Yeah, I do wonder how many people are going to claim that the choice of a female protagonist automatically makes it "woke"  

I am guessing the people who will complain about that are not people who actually played Fallout games a lot.

It's always struck me as odd how many males play as female characters in video games.  Nothing like just playing your game and some chick comes up and a dude starts speaking over the in game comm.

If they're going to play in 3rd person () and hear someone grunting in melee fights for thousands of hours, they want a female ass and vocal track.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:26:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#4]
Watching the first episode, really enjoying it so far.

Kind of pissed about the actor they chose for her brother, Moises Arias.

He's another one of those Hollywood creeps.

Hadn't heard his name for awhile and figured he was canceled awhile back.

One of the incidents is him having a relationship with Will Smith's daughter, Willow Smith, when he was 20 and she was 13.

And having the balls to take pics of them in bed together with his shirt off.

Why would 20 year old man be hanging out with a 13 year old girl???

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/willow-smith-in-bed-with-moises-arias-fans-outraged/

But of course the Smith family is deranged and they defended him.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/willow-smith-photo-moises-arias-jada-pinkett-6084548/

Imagine anyone else in that situation being seen as perfectly normal and swept under the rug.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Or they don't want to stare at a dudes ass for 40 plus hours.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#6]
7 min in and it’s awesome
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CavScout:
This was intended to attract minors then…show the real stuff, the raunchy sex, the jacking off, the wipe, this is precisely what they intended. Reel in a youthful audience to watch the video game production and bam.
View Quote

Fallout was rated as mature.  If you were letting your kids play it you are the problem.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#8]
S1E2

"Please don't murder me sir .... that guy was f**king my chickens..."

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:39:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#9]
Originally Posted By callmestick:

Fallout was rated as mature.  If you were letting your kids play it you are the problem.
View All Quotes
This was intended to attract minors then…show the real stuff, the raunchy sex, the jacking off, the wipe, this is precisely what they intended. Reel in a youthful audience to watch the video game production and bam.

In fallout 2, if you did the prostitute, you got a happy face on a blacked-out screen and squeaky mattress noises, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#10]
There's some good fallout swag coming out for this release.

Mini Nuke card holder with all pc games
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:54:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wineraner] [#11]
Originally Posted By November5:
Vault Tec didn't expect a real apocalypse.  They were going to fake news an apocalypse, lock people away, and conduct their experiments.  Then China nuked the US and Vault Tec ceased to exist as a company.  I'm probably remembering wrong, but I think it was New Vegas that covered that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By November5:
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Aside, that is one of the stupidest fucking parts of the canon, that the vaults were psychological experiments.  For the benefit of who, assholes?  WHO IS GOING TO CARE ABOUT PSYCHOLOGY AFTER A GLOBAL APOCALYPSE?
Vault Tec didn't expect a real apocalypse.  They were going to fake news an apocalypse, lock people away, and conduct their experiments.  Then China nuked the US and Vault Tec ceased to exist as a company.  I'm probably remembering wrong, but I think it was New Vegas that covered that.

That's better?  Does that sound possible to anyone?  Even with the considerably more lax attitudes about customer safety or warranty, that abounded within the Fallout universe.  Along with a media that made Pravda (or our own) look hard-hitting. No one's going to miss 1-2% of the US population?  Wonder where they went, etc?

Look, I love the Fallout series.  I can excuse a lot of inconsistencies in the writing.  The Sierra Madre cornucopia technology for one.  As a critic of the Star Trek transporters termed it, "It's like seeing a movie about Ancient Egypt, sitting on Queen Hapshepsut's Barge, and seeing a working nuclear reactor."  It just doesn't fit.  If you can create whatever you want, atom-by-atom, we're fighting why again?

For me though, "They were supposed to be experiments," is just too dumb to excuse.  Still entertaining to find 200 years later though, however it's excused. (The 200 years later, is another beef with the canon, but whatever.)  

Edit:  sounds like the show was quite well done.  Hmmm.  Yar!  Maties....
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#12]
We watched the first episode last night, all we had time for.

I think they did a good job on some things, a "meh" job on other things, and a "yep that's modern Hollywood" job on a few more things.

I'll keep watching it as it did a good enough job of making me want to see more, and when it comes down to it that is how a first episode should land.

My own personal observations:

The good... they nailed the props, sets, costumes, and the general ambiance. The main cast seems very capable so far. They've planted decent story seeds that they can cultivate provided they don't derail themselves on other things. There are already enough references to the games to keep true fans busy.

The "meh"... I'm not a fan of their lighting or camera work, as many shots look flat or like they're in front of a cyc or green screen (which they undoubtedly were). You can really tell what is a set and what is an effects shot. The majority of the supporting cast is flat. The power armor moves like a guy in a cardboard costume until they need it to really move, then it becomes CGI.

The "yep, that's modern Hollywood"... Benetton ad casting, including a Brotherhood aspirant trans-go-joe-bot. But that is commonplace now. Lucy had sparks of power girl tropes, but at least they made sure to humble her a few times to keep it from going totally strong woman. How does Overseer Dale Cooper have a smokin' daughter but an absolute chicken boy troglodyte of a son?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.
View Quote

I played Fallout 1 on a 133mhz PC with only 32mb of RAM and yet I still loved Bethesda's games too. Take off the nostalgia glasses man.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:18:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#14]

That's better?  Does that sound possible to anyone?  Even with the considerably more lax attitudes about customer safety or warranty, that abounded within the Fallout universe.  Along with a media that made Pravda (or our own) look hard-hitting. No one's going to miss 1-2% of the US population?  Wonder where they went, etc?

Look, I love the Fallout series.  I can excuse a lot of inconsistencies in the writing.  The Sierra Madre cornucopia technology for one.  As a critic of the Star Trek transporters termed it, "It's like seeing a movie about Ancient Egypt, sitting on Queen Hapshepsut's Barge, and seeing a working nuclear reactor."  It just doesn't fit.  If you can create whatever you want, atom-by-atom, we're fighting why again?

For me though, "They were supposed to be experiments," is just too dumb to excuse.  Still entertaining to find 200 years later though, however it's excused. (The 200 years later, is another beef with the canon, but whatever.)  

Edit:  sounds like the show was quite well done.  Hmmm.  Yar!  Maties....
View Quote

Your right,  but it's being deliberately absurd. It is part of that Dr Strangelove kind of gallows humor style comedy. That's how I think of it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.
View Quote

Communist detected on American soil.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.
View Quote

The future is now old man.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

That’s been out for a while,
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I haven’t watched it yet, I saw a comment about a guy wiping his unit on a curtain and a tranny growing a mustache,  is this actually in the show? My daughter is stoked for this show but now I’m not so sure she’ll be watching it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
I haven’t watched it yet, I saw a comment about a guy wiping his unit on a curtain and a tranny growing a mustache,  is this actually in the show? My daughter is stoked for this show but now I’m not so sure she’ll be watching it.
View Quote

Yes it's in the show, also heads exploding etc

Definitely not for little kids
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Watching the first episode, really enjoying it so far.

Kind of pissed about the actor they chose for her brother, Moises Arias.

He's another one of those Hollywood creeps.

Hadn't heard his name for awhile and figured he was canceled awhile back.

One of the incidents is him having a relationship with Will Smith's daughter, Willow Smith, when he was 20 and she was 13.

And having the balls to take pics of them in bed together with his shirt off.

Why would 20 year old man be hanging out with a 13 year old girl???

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/willow-smith-in-bed-with-moises-arias-fans-outraged/

But of course the Smith family is deranged and they defended him.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/willow-smith-photo-moises-arias-jada-pinkett-6084548/

Imagine anyone else in that situation being seen as perfectly normal and swept under the rug.
View Quote

Looked like a little weirdo since he was a kid
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

I played Fallout 1 on a 133mhz PC with only 32mb of RAM and yet I still loved Bethesda's games too. Take off the nostalgia glasses man.
View All Quotes

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.

Did they new games let you marry a chick, make money off her by prostituting her, and then selling her to slavers?

I also recall planting explosives on the theiving kids in the Den. Good times.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MTpint:

Communist detected on American soil.
View Quote

Liberty Prime Sings Ain't I Right (Kits.AI)
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TurtlesAlltheWayDown:
Fallout 3 was amazing.  The NPC interaction had real consequence.  The storyline options were great.

I really don’t understand the love of new Vegas.  It was so linear.  I play fallout for the “choose your own adventure” aspect.  Maybe I’ll just kill off an entire faction, maybe I won’t.  It’s my wasteland world in 3.  Not so much the other fallouts
View Quote

Very much agreed.  Fallout 3 was my introduction into the franchise, and an amazing one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

Very much agreed.  Fallout 3 was my introduction into the franchise, and an amazing one.
View Quote

My intro to it was New Vegas. Which I wonder if that sets me up for failed expectations for every past and future FO game. Because the first game is what your mind sets as the standard..... and NV is in like the top 5 all time greatest OWRPGs ever made.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
The show is great.

I want a set of power armor.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Who_Me:
The show is great.

I want a set of power armor.

View Quote
Dat grip strength.

Nick
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#28]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Yep...it's pretty clear that's what they are going for.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
Originally Posted By fike:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Yep...it's pretty clear that's what they are going for.

"TG,tB,&tU meets Monty Python" is a pretty good way to sum it up.

Like the BoS acolyte carrying the oversized golf bag full of shit everywhere, when it wouldn't affect the knight.

Episode 3:
Click To View Spoiler

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

It was a pre-order when I ordered it on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Watching it last night, and today while I pack for a work trip.  E5 so far.  Never played any of the games but so far its interesting
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Definitely nailing the dialogue and quirky humor. The fact that there's no explanation for the technology and the timeline might be confusing for non-game players.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Well then it must be a rerelease because I remember seeing this months ago.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

In fallout 2, if you did the prostitute, you got a happy face on a blacked-out screen and squeaky mattress noises, IIRC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

There was the arm-wrestling challenge with the Super Mutant in the mining town (Lost Hills?  Where you can meet Marcus.) that you really didn't want to lose...  i think my favorite was the chess match with the enhanced radscorpion.

God, FO2 could get *weird*.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I said earlier in this thread they would fuck it up.  I was wrong and actually pleasantly surprised. They did a fairly good job with this. Binged the whole eight episodes.  It didn’t follow any of the games specifically but there were a few Easter eggs and they did the lore pretty well.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#35]
Like everyone else. I have high hopes because I love the Fallout series, but am ready to turn the TV off early if it's a bunch of woke garbage .

Edit: Looks like the series might be OK based on some of the earlier posts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#36]
This is all I can picture evertyime the Ghoul makes it into the shot.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Spade:

Did they new games let you marry a chick, make money off her by prostituting her, and then selling her to slavers?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spade:

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.

The shotgun wedding with her was a nice touch.  As was cuckolding the Wrights or Morellos, I forget which.  

I forget, did letting the Den kids pickpocket a running timed charge or grenade, and getting turned to paste, earn you the "Child-Killer" badge or not?  (With Fallout Guy kicking a pregnant woman right in the guts, as the image.  Or was that just a draft version?)
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

My intro to it was New Vegas. Which I wonder if that sets me up for failed expectations for every past and future FO game. Because the first game is what your mind sets as the standard..... and NV is in like the top 5 all time greatest OWRPGs ever made.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

You've played 1 and 2, right?  The interface and gameplay is butt ugly (not like that's a big change from NV) and it can be very rough, with few of the gatekeeping heralds NV has to prevent you from dying right away, but the writing and plot pathing is exquisite.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#39]
My introduction to Fallout was Fallout 4 that I just started playing two weeks ago.  I wanted to be able to relate to the series.  Fantastic game and I really enjoyed the show.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

That was one of the props in Ma's store.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:14:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#41]
Binged the series.  Overall I liked it.   Each episode had unique out tros which was cool.

Favorite part of the whole series was a knight running away like a bitch yelling "fuck" for like 20 seconds.  

I fully expect a video of that dubbed over with the benny hill soundtrack.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Pleasantly surprised with Ep 1.

Don't even mind trans surface dwellers.  Honestly that's the most sensible place for them to exist.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

A lot of the people who loved Fallout and Fallout 2, and who have disdain for Fallout 3
View Quote

I was prepared to hate 3 when I found out that it is first-person. Luckily I was wrong.

'Wasteland 2: Director's Cut' is scratching my FO@ itch at the moment.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]
1 and 2 were the iconic emmersion.  And completley naild the tone and the pace.  In an era where that was cutting edge technology, the emmersion was amazing.

3 was OK.   After that, they kind of slid.

The challenge with FPS interface is it becomes a FPS experience.  The action becomes the focus, and the story and theme gets lost.  Fallout was amazing because of the setting and world you were in, and the complexity and nuances that far exceed "center crosshair, hit mous button" that first person generally simplistically becomes.  

I find isometric games the more emmersive and what tell the story better, and where I can see the overall detail better.  The 1950's style theme, with the cigar indians, and the art-deco styling in 1 and 2 are part of what made the setting so interesting, and that shows up better in isometric than it does in first person

Same with Tomb Raider - the original game, it's soundtrack, and the way it revealed the settings, made the exploration and adventure the theme, with the action an exciting thrill of the total story and experience.  First person makes the action, the experience.

That's just me - no idea if anyone else feels the same way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#45]

You've played 1 and 2, right?  The interface and gameplay is butt ugly (not like that's a big change from NV) and it can be very rough, with few of the gatekeeping heralds NV has to prevent you from dying right away, but the writing and plot pathing is exquisite.
View Quote

No only New Vegas. I recently started a FO4 campaign and not very far into right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Fallout 1 & 2 were king.
View Quote

I started on fallout 3 and fallout new vegas then fallout 4

I watched the first 2 episodes today. I enjoyed it. I will watch some more later on today.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By trainfreaky:
S1E2

"Please don't murder me sir .... that guy was f**king my chickens..."

View Quote

Haha i was laughing at this part as well
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bologna:

Yes it's in the show, also heads exploding etc

Definitely not for little kids
View Quote

She is 24 he is just over protective
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
1 and 2 were the iconic emmersion.  And completley naild the tone and the pace.  In an era where that was cutting edge technology, the emmersion was amazing.

3 was OK.   After that, they kind of slid.

The challenge with FPS interface is it becomes a FPS experience.  The action becomes the focus, and the story and theme gets lost.  Fallout was amazing because of the setting and world you were in, and the complexity and nuances that far exceed "center crosshair, hit mous button" that first person generally simplistically becomes.  

I find isometric games the more emmersive and what tell the story better, and where I can see the overall detail better.  The 1950's style theme, with the cigar indians, and the art-deco styling in 1 and 2 are part of what made the setting so interesting, and that shows up better in isometric than it does in first person

Same with Tomb Raider - the original game, it's soundtrack, and the way it revealed the settings, made the exploration and adventure the theme, with the action an exciting thrill of the total story and experience.  First person makes the action, the experience.

That's just me - no idea if anyone else feels the same way.
View Quote

See I feel the opposite.  You don't have to play first person; third person imo is the better option.  You are actually exploring the landscape and interacting with the living creatures whether friend or foe.  It's less like reading a book and more like being a character in a movie.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
We watched the first episode last night, all we had time for.

I think they did a good job on some things, a "meh" job on other things, and a "yep that's modern Hollywood" job on a few more things.

I'll keep watching it as it did a good enough job of making me want to see more, and when it comes down to it that is how a first episode should land.

My own personal observations:

The good... they nailed the props, sets, costumes, and the general ambiance. The main cast seems very capable so far. They've planted decent story seeds that they can cultivate provided they don't derail themselves on other things. There are already enough references to the games to keep true fans busy.

The "meh"... I'm not a fan of their lighting or camera work, as many shots look flat or like they're in front of a cyc or green screen (which they undoubtedly were). You can really tell what is a set and what is an effects shot. The majority of the supporting cast is flat. The power armor moves like a guy in a cardboard costume until they need it to really move, then it becomes CGI.

The "yep, that's modern Hollywood"... Benetton ad casting, including a Brotherhood aspirant trans-go-joe-bot. But that is commonplace now. Lucy had sparks of power girl tropes, but at least they made sure to humble her a few times to keep it from going totally strong woman. How does Overseer Dale Cooper have a smokin' daughter but an absolute chicken boy troglodyte of a son?
View Quote

Watched the first episode, it's pretty solid.  The atmosphere of the Vault is great.  

The CGI was pretty good to me.  The Brotherhood aspirant trans joe is a fuckin' joke, they don't look like they could hold their own as a soldier but that's expected with Hollyweird and they don't get much screen time.  I checked IMDB Fallout page and didn't find them.  Assuming that means we aren't going to see much more of whatever it is.

You're right about Lucy's brother, totally miscast and the most jarring part about the first episode.  Chicken boy troglodyte is spot-on.  Overseer Dale Cooper should have demanded a DNA test.  WTF?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Fallout Amazon series (Page 1 of 35)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top