Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 9:09:20 PM EDT
And I am in MO 700 miles away. First thing tomorrow morning I am putting in an emergency leave form and heading home to do what I can.

My restored 1943 Ford GPW (WWII jeep) is under 6 feet of water, its in one of my smaller wharehouses, my store has at least 6 inches of water in it and my home a foot.

I don't think I have ever felt so useless in my life, stuck here while my fiance, parents, and friends back home on the FD fight the water, and its till rising.

This fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
better pick up some submersible pumps on your way there
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't think I have ever felt so useless in my life, stuck here while my fiance, parents, and friends back home on the FD fight the water, and its till rising.

Well, now you may have an inkling of what they will be feeling while you are overseas. Use that knowledge to your advantage.

That said, I feel for you, and send along my prayers. Hang in there!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
better pick up some submersible pumps on your way there

Nowhere to pump the water to. He's going to have to wait till the river goes down....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Garand_Shooter, If I were anywhere near you I would be there to help you out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Frances is a gulley washer, that's for sure (we're just starting to get it)

as long as family is safe, that's the main thing, hope everything else dries out ok

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, yeah everyones safe, fiances in tears about our place but still out doing what she can to help everyone else (she is a FF/EMT on the FD with me). She just said on the phone there isn't anything she can do about our place so she is just doing all she can for those they still can help.

From what I am hearing its hitting our county and all around hard, very hard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks to hear, expecially about the restored GPW.

Floods suck.....been there, done that....flood of '93 here in MO.

About the only GOOD thing to be said is that 6" in the shop is better than 6' in the shop, and a foot in the house at least won't ruin EVERYTHING, but its still not fun to clean up from.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And I am in MO 700 miles away. First thing tomorrow morning I am putting in an emergency leave form and heading home to do what I can.

My restored 1943 Ford GPW (WWII jeep) is under 6 feet of water, its in one of my smaller wharehouses, my store has at least 6 inches of water in it and my home a foot.

This fucking sucks.

Sorry Man
Hang in there
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow.  Double Wow.
Hang in there.  I can't imagine the thoughts you must be wrestling with right now.'
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Garand_Shooter: Sorry to hear about your plight. Too bad there isn't a way to get the water from where you're to So. Calif. We're suffering something like the 5th or 6th year of drought around here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn that sucks.

will be watching to see a jeep condition report.

Also if you can get it out of there either after the water backs off or by floats you should.  Ivan's on its way and very well could go near the same path.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you build over the 100 yr. flood?

if so FEMA should help.

not to make fun, but insurance down there is gonna suck in the near future...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I hear ya and feel for ya man. I may be dealing with the same stuff myself by morning. It's been raining here all day, as the leading bands of what remains of the hurricane are getting here. I am under a flood watch as we speak and have already received about 1.5" of rain. Before it's over, the weather service is saying 5" are possible. In this hilly terrain, that much rain could create some serious problems.  To make matters worse, a cold front is pushing in from the west and meeting the leftovers of the hurricane. That will really make it come down. I suppose the cold front I just mentioned will get here and push the tropical stuff away though, so that much is good.

Anyway, I wish you and your family well getting through this mess. If there's a bright spot, that front should be passing through within the day or so and the rain should stop. And hopefully the stuff will have pulled N of your area by later. So at least maybe it won't get any worse.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This fucking sucks.

Hey, Garand_Shooter,

You are never useless.... perhaps helpless, but never useless. I am In Nevada and if I were close to your Kin I would be there in a heartbeat.....

Keep the faith Bro.

You, yours, and everyone else that is suffering during this trying time are in my prayers.

Be Safe.

Joe

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hear about this.  Sounds like you have one great fiance' and a very giving family.  

Prayers sent.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Material things can always be replaced. Although costly and sometimes hurtful when we lose then they don’t mean a thing in comparison to your loved ones wellbeing. I regret that you have suffered damage to your store, jeep and home but I praise God that your family is ok.

My prayers are with you and may God bless you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Man that sux.

Hang in there.

Good news is the family is safe....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#18]
G_S, that does suck.  I didn't realize how bad it was back home until I saw Chimney Rock on CNN Headline News.

Here are some pics from my house down in Rutherfordton.  My girlfriend will be stuck there for a few days.  No way to get off the "island".

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm just down the road in Spartanburg. Anything I can do???

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top