Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/15/2024 4:33:01 PM EDT
I'm thinking really hard about a 300cc or smaller dual sport for my first bike

The new Honda XR150L looks neat, I've heard good things about the KLX300 and CRF300L

However I'm 5'10 and weigh about 245
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If this is your first bike,  go take the local motorcycle safety course.  That will give you some exposure to the small cc bikes.  If this is really your first time on a bike, the dual sports might be a bit tall for a beginner.

At 5'10" and 245, you are gonna want more than a 300.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#2]
Lol no. Get a larger displacement bike. You'll thank yourself by summers end

Eta. I guess it also depends on what your plans are with it. Highways vs putting around the rv park for example
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 2015 Honda crf250l

It's serves my purpose of running around town and occasionally hitting small trails or county road cruising.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:48:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#4]
I rode a 300cc dual sport as my only transport for a few years.  It's the bare minimum if you're hitting highways.  If you live on dirt roads and only going into towns on the odd occasion on surface roads the 150 is perfect.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on how dual sporty you want to be. What's your dirt riding going to be? Just dirt roads or something more difficult.   What's your road riding going to be ?  Short distance county 2 lane or interstate?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 5'9 250lbs and bought a 2021 DR650.   I upgraded the suspension with Cogent Dynamics front and rear springs and it's a pretty decent bike for running around.

Don't think I would want anything smaller for my fat ass.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Beamy:

The new Honda XR150L looks neat, I've heard good things about the KLX300 and CRF300L

View Quote

I’ve been riding a KLX300 for a couple years, mostly off road. It’s pretty capable depending on what you want to do.

What percent pavement Vs off-road?

If/when off-road, are you just planning on easy two tracks or wanting to do something more difficult.

All that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

I’ve been riding a KLX300 for a couple years, mostly off road. It’s pretty capable depending on what you want to do.

If/when off-road, are you just planning on easy two tracks or wanting to do something more difficult.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

Mainly dirt road and paved back roads
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#9]
250cc to 350 cc is a pretty sweet spot

Enough power & speed to drive in the city or fire roads, but light enough for off road fun.

It is not going to be some interstate cruiser, but for trails & town pretty well sized.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]

This would make a perfect FIRST bike...!

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:11:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nightstalker] [#11]
I had a 250 Husqvarna (FI) that I put an Athena kit on for 298cc. Also have a 350cc Beta (carbed)that is pretty ideal for me.  Had it over 80 on the highway.  Nice 6 spd wide ratio trans.  Both bikes around 250#.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#12]
Originally Posted By miseses:
I rode a 300cc dual sport as my only transport for a few years.  It's the bare minimum if you're hitting highways.  If you live on dirt roads and only going into towns on the odd occasion on surface roads the 150 is perfect.
View Quote

Holy shit - Which? That's serious

Peeps will tell OP sub 500cc is prolly too little. If you're gonna be on Super Slab, I'd prefer something larger than 250 or 300cc. But the current crop of 300cc ain't the old school, XT or DR 200 better XR, TTR, DR/DRZ. They're pretty capable, I'd roll cross country on one. But I wouldn't roll often on urban highways in the States.

@Beamy what is your intended use patterns?

ETA - for a backroads knock around you'd be fine. Might need to re-spring if you're gonna have any gear on the bike.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, don't make a mistake that will cost you big $$ to correct.
Don't go small.
Years ago I did and bought a KLR650. It was a gutless pig that I couldn't even keep up with traffic on.
I know they are popular and serve a purpose but I now have an Africa Twin and it's a whole different universe.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Peeps will tell OP sub 500cc is prolly too little. If you're gonna be on Super Slab, I'd prefer something larger than 250 or 300cc. But the current crop of 300cc ain't the old school, XT or DR 200 better XR, TTR, DR/DRZ. They're pretty capable, I'd roll cross country on one. But I wouldn't roll often on urban highways in the States.

ETA - for a backroads knock around you'd be fine. Might need to re-spring if you're gonna have any gear on the bike.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacrity:
Originally Posted By miseses:

@Alacrity

I'm mainly looking at back roads and dirt roads
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alacop] [#15]
Attachment Attached File
Thank me later. KTM 350 EXC
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The Yamaha XT250s are nice little bikes but you're a big guy and going to want some more HP.  The KTM 350 EXC have a decent amount of power but they are a little pricey.  They also have very high quality components and the price reflects that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#17]
drz400 or better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll go against the grain here...

Unless this is a commuting tool or long rides will be the norm, I find smaller bikes to be a lot more fun.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the CRF300 is a better bike, the XR150 is trying to hit the budget price point and for better or for worse it shows.  The difference between the two of them at the dealership isn't going to be all that much thanks to dealers throwing on all sorts of fees on the budget bikes to get their money out of them.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a KLX230S now.

The price was right, and I still have a lot of fun on it.

I've had 200's, 250's, 450's and yea more power can be more fun if you're ready for it, but it doesn't make a smaller bike useless.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By IchWarrior:
I have a KLX230S now.

The price was right, and I still have a lot of fun on it.

I've had 200's, 250's, 450's and yea more power can be more fun if you're ready for it, but it doesn't make a smaller bike useless.

View Quote
I have the same, great bike for exploring dirt roads and a ton of tun in the paved twisties too, especially in the tighter confines of Appalachia.  I have had mine on the interstate for a short bit, about 30 miles trying to meet up with some folks after some mixed signals.  The bike held fine at 70mph, but that isn't something I would want to do on this bike regularly even though it can.

I've been gravitating toward smaller bikes in general since I find them more fun to ride in most cases, touring being the exception.  In that case I still value the comfort of a bigger bike, but I'm less interested in long tours these days.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Let me just throw this out there…my DR650 very lightly modified weighs about the same.

But I think the CRF is likely a fine bike like most every bike nowadays.

Do consider the new Himalayan though…it’s looking pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
You are looking for KTM 500 EXC-F.  Perfection.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

At your weight, I’d look at a used DRZ-400 or 650.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I feel like if I’m going to be primarily on more technical slow speed woods type trails, I want a small, lighter shorter bike.

Mainly because after I pick it up a few times I won’t be smoked.

If I was more road biased, with the occasional gravel road I would go towards a larger bike.

10 plus years ago, I had everything from a drz400 to a xr650l and an xr650r as far as dual sports go.  Even had a tw200 at one point.

I would love to get on one of these newer fuel injected 300s. These options didn’t exist then
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#26]

View Quote

On dirt, your weight doesn't matter a ton unless you're really trying to rip it up hard.  I've grabbed my kids' 125cc dirt bike and done 50+ miles of trail without any problem other than it's truly sized for kids.  

On the roads, a 300cc probably isn't what you want for highway driving, but is fine for regular roads.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Honestly with the years I did ride motorcycles, I would recommend sitting on several models including different engine sizes. A good salesman will hold the front wheel so you can get the "feet off of the ground" feeling. At your size a DRZ400 might be a good option. I'm 5'6" 180 and prefer the CB500X (not a true dual sport) for it's size and highway capability.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#28]
A midsized bike that your don't have to wring out to get moving is going to be easier to ride, more comfortable, less taxing, and last longer as it won't be as stressed. You also are less likely to be tempted to trade up.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By StanGram:
I'll go against the grain here...

Unless this is a commuting tool or long rides will be the norm, I find smaller bikes to be a lot more fun.

View Quote

+1, Easier to learn on in the rough.  Fun & flickable.  Big bike you will be too cautious in dirt.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a KLX250, it was great for bombing around town and back roads. Definitely not a highway cruiser tho
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#31]
What’s your budget? I’m part of the DR650 clan and think it’s a great option.  A lot of the Japanese bikes are similar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimesSU] [#32]
Unless you plan to do a lot of offroad/dirt where a smaller CC bike makes more sense, get the 650 dual sports.

1.) The Suzuki DR650 is a great option, with TONS of aftermarket and OEM support.  Super simple as the design hasn't changed much since 1996.

2.) The Honda XR650L is a good bike, but is like sitting on a skyscraper and unless you are TALL, you will have trouble reaching the ground.

3.) The Kawasaki 650 is nice and has a lot of electronics and fuel injection. Even has an ABS option. Though it is a bit heavy at 100lbs more than the other bikes.

4.) If you want a fancy dual sport, there's the BMW dual sports, but they are EXPENSIVE.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Gas gas has a 500 dual sport that is basically a cheaper Ktm. Right now you get a free full suspension e bike if you buy a gas gas. Makes it an even sweeter deal.

Gas gas es 500

They also make a 350 and a 700.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I have owned a lot of bikes over 20 years of riding
I can honestly say at my age the Crf300l is an amazing little bike.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
Gas gas has a 500 dual sport that is basically a cheaper Ktm. Right now you get a free full suspension e bike if you buy a gas gas. Makes it an even sweeter deal.

Gas gas es 500

View Quote

Kawasaki makes a 230S.  The S stands for short.  I wouldn't do anything less on a dual sport.  

kwg
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Gas gas es 500

View Quote

GasGas are basically KTM, but with a few high dollar parts replaced with cheaper ones.

Parts support isn't that great either if you buy an older model.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: linx310] [#37]

OP, don't make a mistake that will cost you big $$ to correct.
Don't go small.
Years ago I did and bought a KLR650. It was a gutless pig that I couldn't even keep up with traffic on.
I know they are popular and serve a purpose but I now have an Africa Twin and it's a whole different universe
View Quote

Man I put 65,000 miles on my KLR650 and had no issues keeping up with traffic.  And you can get decent ones used for less than 3k

I currently have a klx300 as well and it does 75-80 mph
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jonyng:
I'm 5'9 250lbs and bought a 2021 DR650.   I upgraded the suspension with Cogent Dynamics front and rear springs and it's a pretty decent bike for running around.

Don't think I would want anything smaller for my fat ass.
View Quote

Can you mod the suspension and lower that bike? That would make it a perfect starter bike that you can grow into. Honda 650 would be great lowered also
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#39]
My son took the MSF Rider Course when he was in college, then bought a Honda CB500X for his first bike.

It's perfect for him.

I took it out for a long ride, including highway riding at 70-80mph. It's a superb motorcycle.

It will be a long time before he outgrows it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

Can you mod the suspension and lower that bike? That would make it a perfect starter bike that you can grow into. Honda 650 would be great lowered also
View Quote

The DR can be easily lowered and actually comes ready to do so very easily.

But at 5’10” the OP won’t need to.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
My son took the MSF Rider Course when he was in college, then bought a Honda CB500X for his first.

It's perfect for him.

I took it out for a long ride, including highway riding at 70-80mph. It's a superb motorcycle.

View Quote

The CB500x is likely the most overlooked bike out there and should be much more popular.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Mainly dirt road and paved back roads
View Quote

Yamaha XT 250. Fits your small CC and it's reliable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:11:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDennis] [#43]
I have a KLX300.

It is the most fun street legal motorcycle I have ever had.  I put a rack on it with soft bags. If I want to go fish, I put my travel pole case and tackle box on it. If I want to go shoot, I carry ammo and rifle cases. If I want to cruise to work or the store I can, and if I want to go to the riding park, I do and pound the trails and come home.

Also the thing is bombproof....

I do not regret getting rid of my Harley at all.  In fact, I have been getting the itch to add a adventure bike to the compliment the dual sport.

ETA: I am 6' and 250.  The KLX has great suspension and power for our weight. I can cruise 55-60 no problem and 70-75 if needed.  I considered a Honda crf300 till I road it. The suspension sucks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I've extensively rode a family member's XT250 and it never felt underpowered to me. The size was really useful on the trail and it was light enough to fit a hitch mounted carrier.

I'm in the market for one now to putt around town and replace my old Trail 90 as a hunting bike.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

The CB500x is likely the most overlooked bike out there and should be much more popular.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
My son took the MSF Rider Course when he was in college, then bought a Honda CB500X for his first.

It's perfect for him.

I got back into motorcycles at 55 years old.  The 500x was my pick, and it's been perfect for my needs.  Running around farm country with some gravel roads mixed in.  

I can travel the speed limit easy on any local highways, and I don't have to worry about getting any 100+ mph tickets either.  

Also, at 7k new, the price is right.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:24:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phil_Billy] [#46]
Husqvarna 701 Enduro or the KTM 690 equivalent.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By alacop:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276816/KTM_knobs_jpg-3188798.JPG Thank me later. KTM 350 EXC
View Quote

I love my KTM 500, but it’s way better as a second bike. The maintenance schedule on a KTM is not ideal for an everyday bike.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GrimesSU:

GasGas are basically KTM, but with a few high dollar parts replaced with cheaper ones.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GrimesSU:

Gas gas es 500

If you buy a pre Ktm gas gas yes parts are harder to get but rejiu is making the old gas gas models or at least some of them still.  Post Ktm gas gas will be easy for motor and most other things.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dboy11:
I feel like if I’m going to be primarily on more technical slow speed woods type trails, I want a small, lighter shorter bike.

Mainly because after I pick it up a few times I won’t be smoked.

If I was more road biased, with the occasional gravel road I would go towards a larger bike.

10 plus years ago, I had everything from a drz400 to a xr650l and an xr650r as far as dual sports go.  Even had a tw200 at one point.

I would love to get on one of these newer fuel injected 300s. These options didn’t exist then
View Quote

I have an irrational desire for a TW-200!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#50]

I love my KTM 500, but it’s way better as a second bike. The maintenance schedule on a KTM is not ideal for an everyday bike.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alacop:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276816/KTM_knobs_jpg-3188798.JPG Thank me later. KTM 350 EXC

If you buy the 690 it's pretty reasonable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top