Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Guys over 50 only! (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/6/2024 1:26:26 PM EDT
Do you find yourself to be more emotional than you used to be?

I will be 50 in October and I find that certain songs and movie clips seem to hit me harder. I have also had friends die that pretty much crushed me and that wouldn't have happened in my 30's.

Is this just me or is there something to just getting older and becoming more emotional?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
55 and no. If anything I give a shit less
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I was more emotional before I got on TRT.  Test smoothed me right out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
View Quote
This. I was already trending that way, and hitting 50 has made my field of fucks even more barren than it was before.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
In regards to my grandkids, absolutely.  All the bullshit happening elsewhere in the world?  Fuckem.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I did this thread about a year ago.

Link, incase you want to check it out op.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-The-older-you-get-more-emotional-/5-2650889/?page=1
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
52.  Yes.

I'm sure it's test related

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#7]
More emotional, I say no, it's likely less.

This being said, I do pay better attention to stuff than I did when young.  Thus a lessened emotional response can appear stronger from simply more inputs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

That

Unless anger is an emotion. Then yes, yes I’m very very much more emotional
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Approaching 51….same.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:32:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#11]
Two things really get me emotional, one is thinking about my grandmother and the other is knowing that I retired from the same company as my grandfather, that I never met, and standing on the exact site at one of our refineries where he worked building one of the units.  That really chokes me up

He had a 1st grade education, worked his ass off for ESSO/Humble Oil, learned math and trig from the young engineers and he retired as the piping design supervisor.  Dad tells the story that he built a two story apartment on their property with nothing but a hand saw, hammer and a bit brace.  I have the saw, hammer and brace.

I am 65 by the way....
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably, but also less fucks to give. Knowing I have fewer years ahead than behind is kind of liberating.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m becoming less and less patient.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
52. Absolutely.

It’s the buildup of bullshit, losing people you love, and yearning for the days when the world made more sense than it does now.

And the knowledge that it probably won’t get better. We’ll all just hold fake smiles as it all gets worse and worse, exponentially.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#16]
Originally Posted By Pesty:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nailed it... not quite in the yelling at clouds phase yet  but I'm getting there.
Now get the fuck off my lawn....
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

This.  Out of fucks to give.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kennyrock12:
In regards to my grandkids, absolutely.  All the bullshit happening elsewhere in the world?  Fuckem.
View Quote

I can agree with this.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#19]
More emotional, not really. Was kind of taken aback by how often people die when you're in your 50's.
In the last few years, it seems like every time I turn around, someone's dead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]
56. No
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:

I will be 50 in October and I find that certain songs and movie clips seem to hit me harder. I have also had friends die that pretty much crushed me and that wouldn't have happened in my 30's.

Is this just me or is there something to just getting older and becoming more emotional?
View Quote

it's a warning sign that you are not properly managing your stress.

find ways to relax or it's going to get worse
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Not emotional, but more like an extremely low level of tolerance for stupid people.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#23]

My anxiety level has gone through the roof.

Used to be nothing bothered me.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm your age, OP, and currently going through a divorce. I have waves of emotion, but they come at the right times and in healthy doses.

It is nothing like the depression I experienced when my high school girlfriend and I broke up when I was 18. I have never experienced depression like that before.

I wouldn't say that I'm less emotional now, or that I don't give a fuck anymore. I would say that I'm not overwhelmed by my emotions like I was when I was younger.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes and no.

I value life more, but give fewer fucks about things.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#26]
54 here.
I get a little sentimental about how much water has passed under the bridge.
How old all the hot chicks must be now that I used to fool around with when I was a young man.
How long ago it was that I started dating my wife and how carefree we were.
How long ago it was that my kids were little toddlers.
Friends and family that have passed on, or gotten so old compared to how I remember them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quite the opposite. I give a shit about very little.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
Yes and no.

I value life more, but give fewer fucks about things.

View Quote

This. I don't like killing animals like I used to either. Often I give vermin a pass just because. Or possibly pass up a game animal/fish.  As a younger man there were no passes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Sentimental, yes

Emotional, not really.  Probably can control anger emotions better.  Tempers tend to cool off in old age.  Unless you become one of those crazy angry old guys but most have learned to let shit go by that age.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#30]

That

View Quote

Ain't that the tuth!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#32]
50 here.... I'm more emotional on family than I've ever been (a proud grandson of Great Depression/WW2 veterans, son of a Vietnam vet and self made parents, husband to an excellent wife and mother, and father to two wonderful, respectful, and productive kids), but far more of a "fuck 'em" attitude on other things in life not pertaining to me or my family's and friend's well being.

I'm getting less attached to material things. Also, I'm being more satisfied on having something that works well enough vs having the "best". That $300 Savage bargain rifle vs that $1200 Remington Mountain rifle, etc.

I'm proud of my country but am ashamed, annoyed, and pissed off regarding my federal government.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I cry when getting blow jobs? Does that count?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JamiesGotAGun:
52.  Yes.

I'm sure it's test related

View Quote

It's not hormone related.

Things matter more. You are closer to facing mortality.

I'm a hell of a lot more sentimental now than I used to be because I see how quickly it goes, never to return.

Being an emotionless tough guy is dumb.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By el_hombre:
I was more emotional before I got on TRT.  Test smoothed me right out.
View Quote
This.  Your T levels are falling and e2 (estradiol aka estrogen) levels are probably rising, contributing to more emotional state that prior.  At least get that checked out if not already done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Does this include movies where a dog dies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#37]
No for me.  At almost 60 I don't really give a shit about much of anything.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Most people get softer with age. I’m a pretty hard motherfucker but I even notice it in myself.

Embrace getting older-the only alternatives are being unhappy or being dead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
^ agreed
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Guys over 50 only!
View Quote

I'm not 50, but you're not the boss of me!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#41]
No, I take CBD oil and over the counter stress gummies as defense against my wife's anxiety fits triggered by her emerging menopause.

Now I'm dulled and calm.  And from calm came contentment and focus.  It's great.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By APBullet:
Not emotional, but more like an extremely low level of tolerance for stupid people.
View Quote

I'll be 60 next month and this describes me lately.

Wife passed away Christmas of 2020 and I don't cook aside from frozen pizza.

The other night I go to the drive-thru at Culvers for a $16 fish dinner and the $15/hr
kids can't manage to get the right food in the friggin' bag. So then I have to go in the
store in the pouring rain to have them fix it and the kids are all goofing off and not
even acknowledging my presence at the counter. Yeah I lost it and made a scene in
front of about 20 customers at the counter.

My life as a grumpy old man I guess.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#43]
There are many subjects that I care less about as I'm aging, but I seem to be feeling a little more compassion and empathy, I guess. Parents both have passed, relationships are becoming more important. I don't have any work stress anymore, either, so I've seen some changes in my demeanor like less anger (some subjects see increased anger, though) and more patience.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

You should get your hormone levels checked.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:14:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#45]
53, but only about family, other stuff just seems to annoy me more.  My son went into the Army in January.  I've cried twice in the last 25 years, when our 16 year old Heeler died and when my Dad died,  but I had a hard time when my son left.  I hated going into his room for a few months.  Now that I know he's not just surviving, but actually thriving, I'm more at ease.

My oldest daughter and her boyfriend are talking marriage, so she'll likely be gone soon.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#46]
55 sometimes if it strikes a specific memory.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#47]
56 here. In 2018, about a month before my son was going to report to West Point, it hit me that my baby boy was leaving. Forever. It was the first time I teared up probably 30 years - more if you only count when I was sober. That includes wedding, divorce, 2 of my kids being born, those kids graduating high school and college for my daughter, deaths of aunts, uncles, cousins, and a one month old nephew.

More emotional? Maybe. But I think it was just such a monumental milestone it overwhelmed me.

ETA: forgot about major depressive episodes. 2018 was my worst one ever, triggered by 2 breakups and my son leaving for school. The only reason I didn't commit suicide was because of what it would do to my son's plebe year. Bad enough that I was going to be scheduled for ECT when we tried one last med and it worked. And I found a new GF. But the thing is, depression isn't really an emotion. More like a lack of any and all feeling. And I've dealt with it my whole life, so not an after 50 thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#49]

That

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cacinok] [#50]
Originally Posted By PvtCowboy:
No, I take CBD oil and over the counter stress gummies as defense against my wife's anxiety fits triggered by her emerging menopause.

Now I'm dulled and calm.  And from calm came contentment and focus.  It's great.  

View Quote

I swear my wife's perimenopause is going to drive me to drink - which I don't.  She will just randomly lose her mind and starting ranting about stupid shit.  

I take CBD to sleep, it knocks me out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Guys over 50 only! (Page 1 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top