Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
nice nice.
You know a peace through superior firepower t-shirt would look awesome in the brown and tan of that patch.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
PTSF...words to live by, to be sure...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
finally! reverse flag stickers, now I can put flags on both sides of my car.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the mug and the stickers.  Will probably get the brown patch.  
I would get the T shirt if it had the design on the front, not just the back.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Where can I get subdued OD American flag patches?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where can I get subdued OD American flag patches?

OT: I don't understand the reason why we have subdued flags and patch, why? Can some please explain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I've found them at local army/navy surplus stores.

We have them because they are cool. Seriously though, aren't the subdued ones worn on cammo uniforms?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Got any "peace through superior firepower" hats?

HINT HINT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure that it has been discussed, but what exactly does the reverse flag mean?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm sure that it has been discussed, but what exactly does the reverse flag mean?

It means one isn't runnning away from battle.  The patch illustrates how an actual flag would wave as one charges towards the enemy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Regardless of what side of you or your vehicle the flag is on, the BLUE FIELD has to be forward, towards the front. If its on the right side of something, it does look backwards but its FLAG Ettiquette.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but I read in several places on the web (including army manual on attire) that (as best I recall):
1. use of subdued flag on clothing is technically prohibited by US Military
2. the wearing of flags on clothing by deployed personel is at the discretion of the field commander in cases where there are concerns about friendly multinational forces, and may NOT be worn on uniforms when NOT deployed.
3. reverse flag on right shoulder is optional for civilians, but REQUIRED for deployed military personal wearing US flag patches.

The reason for reversed flag on the right is so that the flag is always appearing in forward motion... as if carrying a "color standard" during a charge on the battlefeild.  If "normal" were on the right, the sentiment would be one of retreat (again, think of carrying a standard on a battlefield).

Having said all that... if I had a cool application for these, I'd buy/use reverse and subdued flags.  They look quite awesome!  Maybe "subdued glow-in-the-dark green" would be a cool addition!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Army Uniform Rule Requires Flag For All
By Lisa Burgess
February 24, 2004

ARLINGTON, Va. — Every soldier in the Army, not just those deployed, must now wear the U.S. flag insignia on his or her utility uniform, according to a new Army rule.

By tradition, soldiers don't sew the flag on the shoulder of their right uniform until they are deployed. As soon as they are back at their home station, the flag must come off.

But on Feb. 11, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker authorized the universal adoption of the insignia as a reminder to all soldiers that the Army is at war, according to Army spokesman Wayne Morse.

"We're more of an expeditionary force now," Morse said in a Friday telephone interview. "We're at war, and we will be for the foreseeable future."

There's another, more practical reason behind the new rule, Morse said: "It saves wear and tear on the uniform."

"Instead of having people tear the patch off when they get home [from a deployment], and then having to put it back on again, we're all going to wear it,"  he said.

Soldiers have until Oct. 1, 2005, to get the insignia sewn on their uniforms.

The flag Schoomaker has authorized for wear is the "reverse field" patch, in red, white and blue.

Subdued flags (those whose colors match either the woodland or desert camouflage Battle Dress Uniform) are not authorized.

Army regulations call for the flag to be sewn on the right sleeve, one half-inch below the shoulder seam. If a combat patch is also placed on the right shoulder, the flag is sewn 1/8 inch below the combat patch.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if the US Flag Code(Title whatever US Code) has been updated but it's only been in the last few years that the "reverse" flag depiction has been authorized in the military.  Hence the name reverse.  Us old fuds still think it's backwards.  And for the reason they decided, that having the canton to the front looks more correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top