Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2004 9:28:33 AM EDT
My twin brother is training as a WSO in the Air Force at the Naval Base in Pensacola. He decided to stay for the hurricane last night.

Anyway, he said that it's just massive destruction down there right now. Every tree is fallen over, power lines down, debris everywhere. He didn't have a garage to park his car in, so he parked it away from trees, but other people had their cars completely demolished by trees. Roofs are ripped off, siding on his apartment is ripped off.

It sounds pretty bad. He said they might not get power back for three weeks! He has enough bottled water for 1 week and after that he'll have to find some FEMA workers. You can't get gas and he's not sure if he has enough gas to drive far enough to get to a working gas station, so he's staying put for now. The only orders he knows of are to stay within 8 hours of base, so he can't come home (not sure if he could even make it anyway). Basically all he can do is just check the messages on his cell phone periodically to see what they want him to do. He has to leave it off to save power, but he can turn it on periodically to check his voicemail and he can also run it off his car battery if need be.  I'm sure he'll have lots of pictures with his Canon 10D. He won't be able to send them for a while though. I'll post them when he does.

In the mean time keep him in your prayers. It's going to be tough. He was supposed to make it to my wedding in Oct., but he probably won't be able to now because of the delay in his training.

UPDATE #1

Ok, well I jsut got a brief call from my brother who is down in Pensacola and he told me that the destruction down there is just unbelievable. The news and pictures just don't do it justice. He went to some of his friends houses and they were destroyed. His apartment is about 1 mile from shore and luckily only had exterior damage, but the houses on the beach are gone. He said they have dogs searching the beach and there are over 40 people missing down there.

His class officer also called him and told him that the Naval base has SIGNIFICANT damage to all the hangers down there and that all operations are cancelled for at least three weeks. So, his training is completely on hold. He got permission to come home to WI, but he has one major problem that I would appreciate anyone who could help him out with. The gas stations are all destroyed or not working in his area and he says he's got enough to get about 75 miles, maybe 100, but he's afraid he won't make it to a working gas station before he runs out and he doesn't want to get stranded. He asked me to do some research and find out if there is gas in the Mobile, AL area because he can make it that far. If anyone knows anything about that area or can help him out with gas I would REALLY appreciate it! I'm sure he would too. I haven't seen my brother in almost a year and I would love to see him come home for a little while.  When/if he can make it here he said he's got pictures on his digital camera that i'll try and post.

Again, if anyone can let me know any information on where to get gas or if anyone can help him get out of the hurricane destruction zone to get home I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard part of the I-10 Bridge was destroyed
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I do believe that Team Member Valkyrie (not to be confused w/ the other valkyrie) was in Pensacola doing some training this week.

Anyone heard from him?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not sure if it's I10 or not but it ain't no creek crossing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
So WTF would be driving a truck across a bridge during conditions bad enough to destroy said bridge?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040916/i/r3972275978.jpg

"A bridge over Escambia Bay north of Pensacola, Florida is cut in two by Hurricane Ivan with a tractor-trailer rig swallowed by the gap, September 16, 2004. Hurricane Ivan slammed into the U.S. Gulf Coast early Thursday with devastating winds and pounding waves that ripped homes apart, flooded deep inland and spawned tornadoes that killed at least eight people. REUTERS/Rick Wilking"

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My brother rode out the storm on NAS Pensacola.  He was one of the Marines that volunteered to stay and ride.  He just got word that he lost his offbase house/dog this morning and will probably be stuck on station for the next few days.  Does that bridge connect the base/town?

They really got it good down there.  Good luck to ya all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know how the outside display airplanes did at the NAS Pensacola museum?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My brother rode out the storm on NAS Pensacola.  He was one of the Marines that volunteered to stay and ride.  He just got word that he lost his offbase house/dog this morning and will probably be stuck on station for the next few days.  Does that bridge connect the base/town?

They really got it good down there.  Good luck to ya all.

So sorry to hear about his dog. My brother ended up at one of his superior officer's houses to watch his cats while he was in the hospital with his pregnant wife. He said he had to take the cats in the hallway and sleep in the hall away from windows because they were breaking. With 130mph winds you don't want to get caught in a room with broken glass.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone know how the outside display airplanes did at the NAS Pensacola museum?

Not sure about that, but my brother was wondering about the hangers that they kept the trainer planes in. He said with the destruction he's seeing, he wouldn't be surprised if the hangers were demolished along with all the planes in them, but he hasn't been able to get there to check yet.

Hopefully the display planes and his training planes are ok.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup...that's the I-10 bridge...both Eastbound and Westbound spans are out, as well as the Rt. 90 bridge...they're fucked...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Anybody know how Battleship Park did?

I figure Alabama came through just fine, but what about the F-4 and B-52 outside and the hanger?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn.  My brother said the roof blew off the hospital early this morning and the NAS is so choked with debris it's hard to get anywhere.  The impression I got is the destruction is pretty bad.  Glad to hear our troops are OK so far.

NewbHunter...keep us posted if ya can.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Damn.  My brother said the roof blew off the hospital early this morning and the NAS is so choked with debris it's hard to get anywhere.  The impression I got is the destruction is pretty bad.  Glad to hear our troops are OK so far.

NewbHunter...keep us posted if ya can.

No problem, I will. I probably won't hear from my brother in a while because he has to save power on his cell phone, but I left him a voice mail to take plenty of pictures.

If I hear anything else I'll report it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#14]
NOOOO! Please tell me that the FloraBama is still there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#15]
My parents, my two sisters, their families, and my wife's entire family live there.  We've heard they are OK, but LOTS of destruction down there.  Will keep them in my prayers and thank God they are safe and sound.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

THIS BRIDGE???

I THINK SO...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#17]
ANy info on how Ft. Walton made out?

My folks own a house down outside of Niceville...

THe trainer jets should have been launched on a hasty cross country, alon with just about every other T/S/M on base that could fly.

Standard SOP to keep them from being destroyed...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS BRIDGE???

southeastroads.com/alabama100/al-182_eb_intracoastal_br_01.jpg

I THINK SO...

No, the bar on the Alabama-Florida state line between Pensacola and Gulf Shores.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#19]
How did Battleship Park in Mobile make out?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Miss Florabama 2004.

The Florabama lounge home page:
www.florabama.com/

We're Riding Out Ivan!
Thanks for All the Well Wishes!
Updates Will Be Posted As Soon As Possible!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.florabama.com/images/Miss%20Summer%202004/Miss%20Summer%20090504/Disc%202/MVC-021S.JPG
Miss Florabama 2004.

The Florabama lounge home page:
www.florabama.com/

We're Riding Out Ivan!
Thanks for All the Well Wishes!
Updates Will Be Posted As Soon As Possible!

That's one of my favoritist places in the whole world.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Not surprised the base got walloped, iirc from a brief stay many years ago that it is full of stately OLD trees in "soil" that is mostly sand in other words a healthy sneeze could knock most over.

SOP is to fly anything that can get in the air out of town.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not surprised the base got walloped, iirc from a brief stay many years ago that it is full of stately OLD trees in "soil" that is mostly sand in other words a healthy sneeze could knock most over.

Well, hopefully the planes are fine then, but my brother didn't sound so sure about the hangers. I still haven't been able to get in contact with him since about noon CST today, so I don't know if he has anything new or not. I'll keep everyone updated when I hear back.

I'm sure my mom is worried sick that he didn't leave after he told her he would be gone. On monday when she talked to him he said everyone was evacing. She asked if he was, and he said as soon as the Packer game was over he would leave. Talk about getting your priorities straight!

Anyway, I guess he did leave on monday and then decided to come back before the storm hit.

Fortunately he said that the pool outside his apartment has plenty of water in it. He said that, and a bucket come in real handy to fill up the toilet tank so that he can still flush. Good to know he's still got a comfortable seat to take a crap on
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS BRIDGE???

I THINK SO...

No, the bar on the Alabama-Florida state line between Pensacola and Gulf Shores.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the bridge...dunno about the Florabama bar...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS BRIDGE???

I THINK SO...

That looks like the bridge over Perdido Pass as you leave Orange Beach.  It is NOT the I-10 Bridge in your pic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Dude, sad news....
I was listening to the CBS (radio) World Report, they said that the Florabama is gone.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That looks like the bridge over Perdido Pass as you leave Orange Beach.  It is NOT the I-10 Bridge in your pic.

Yes, it is the Perdido bridge on AL 182...I never said it was I-10...

BTW, Rt. 98 is washed out, too...just saw it on TV...that whole area got assfucked bad by Ivan...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
ANy info on how Ft. Walton made out?

My folks own a house down outside of Niceville...

I believe Max_Power and Naked_Gunman both decided to ride it out - no telling when they will be able to post again.

I will be heading back Friday - if I can get a cell phone signal I can post a status for the area.  I just hope I have something resembling a house left.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Man, after Charlie and Frances and all the urging by us folks that went thru that, why no one would heed the advice to get the fuck out is beyond me. Forget FEMA and the NG they simply do not have the resources to supply the amount of food, water and ice that people will need to get by. Much less repair to the infrastructure. Why people can't take advice from others experience boggles my mind. Hell, the Red Cross is advertising here for folks to send what ever supplies that they may have left over from Frances & Charlie, batteries, water, generators etc. to the hardest hit areas. Home depot and Lowes are pulling resources from the Left coast and those are just about depleted.

We are a dealer for Stihl chainsaws, the factory is out, the distribution center is out and there won't be any for another 6 weeks minimum. Hope they can get some saws & generators from Texas.

I pray that everyone makes it thru o.k., unless you've been thru it, you cannot realize the magnitude of the disaster. This is as close to SHTF as you can possibly come without experiencing civil unrest. Consider it training for some possible future terrorist attack.

On the upside, the construction business and resulting economy will be booming thru next year as people rebuild their lives and community.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

There is nothing but sand where the FloraBama used to be.  It's gone.

SG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

True.  Anything that wasn't bent or broke went north.  I saw the deployment orders for the AF at least, they've got planes from every military base in the area (don't forget Ft Rucker, Maxwell, Eglin, etc.) spread all over the northern half of the states.  And, from what I've seen so far, they're going to stay there for a while.

Sounds like Ivan the Terrible lived up to its name!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SG

16 foot surge and 20+ foot waves will do that, I guess...RIP, Florabama...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Dude, sad news....
I was listening to the CBS (radio) World Report, they said that the Florabama is gone.

Quoted:

Wait...you heard it on CBS news? Then all is not lost! I'm sure that Florabama is just fine if CBS is saying it's destroyed!

On another note, my brother said that there was a lot of looting going on. I told him to be careful and to keep a gun in his car in case people decided to start carjacking or trying to loot his apartment. He's got a nice brand new Yamaha R6 that I'm sure some idiot would love to get his hands on. Fortunately the bike did survive the hurrican undamaged, but his car has lots of cosmetic damage.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Does that bridge connect the base/town?

It's about 45 mins. from NAS... If your brother lives in Pace/Milton area, he used this bridge, otherwise he is fine.

On a side note, I feel for anyone trying to get back from evacuating to the west.  HWY 90, I-10, and HWY 98 are Impassable.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#35]
What about Ft Pickens and Peg Leg Petes and all of the hotels on the Pensacola beach? We were there back in July during the Blue Angels arrival for the 4th of July airshow.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

SG

Damn.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's my problem.  My mom and grandmom are together alone in Pace.  I didn't know that the area was supposed to be evacuated, and my mom didn't mention it.  She had someone board up all the windows of the house and stocked up on food and water the other day.  If anyone knows if Pace is one of the areas that was supposed to be evacuated please tell me.  I'm thinking about driving down there from AZ to check up on her.

UPDATE

Fire chief in Milton is a good guy!!  He offered to go and check on my mom for me in about an hour.

God bless that guy.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here's my problem.  My mom and grandmom are together alone in Pace.  I didn't know that the area was supposed to be evacuated, and my mom didn't mention it.  She had someone board up all the windows of the house and stocked up on food and water the other day.  If anyone knows if Pace is one of the areas that was supposed to be evacuated please tell me.  I'm thinking about driving down there from AZ to check up on her.

UPDATE

Fire chief in Milton is a good guy!!  He offered to go and check on my mom for me in about an hour.

God bless that guy.

Glad to hear it. Let us know how she's doing.

I still haven't had word with my brother again. I've left hima few voice mails, but I don't know if he has enough battery power to call me or not. I'll keep everyone posted...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

He has enough bottled water for 1 week and after that he'll have to find some FEMA workers. You can't get gas and he's not sure if he has enough gas to drive far enough to get to a working gas station, so he's staying put for now.  

Might want to send him over to the SURVIVAL forum here and we'll help him get ready for the next one.

Preparation beats desperation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#40]
BTT see update on first post.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#41]
BTT

I can't get through to any gas stations in Mobile or anywhere within 100 miles of Pensacola. If anyone knows anything please let me know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

It's just a memory now...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been hearing rumors now that the Florabama suffered severe damage - but was not completely destroyed.  Heck, supposedly some liquor bottles were left standing in place, undamaged!

Still no power here in FWB.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#45]
the hell with the Florabama, I'm in SoCal, broads in bikines are a dime a dozen (looking over shoulder for wife).

What happened at the Aviation Museum?  Planes aren't replaceable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been hearing rumors now that the Florabama suffered severe damage - but was not completely destroyed.  Heck, supposedly some liquor bottles were left standing in place, undamaged!

Did the new bridge from Niceville to Destin survive?

How about Destin it's self?

Found out that my folks house down there survived just fine. Just some tree limbs and debris strewn around, thank God....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw a pic of the Florabama today...it's still there...kind of...it's partially buried in sand, but the roof looks intact...it's a real mess, though...they're probably gonna have to start from scratch...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#48]
UPDATE #2

Well, I was away from my computer all day today, so I wasn't able to check since the update last night, but my brother decided to just go for it in Mobil, AL to see if they had gas. Turns out they did and he was able to fill up and head home. He should be getting to Scott AFB in St. Louis about now where he's going to spend the night and then he'll get home tomorrow. He said that as he was leaving Pensacola this morning two gas stations in town opened up, but the lines were so long he would have had to wait a couple hours to fill up. He doesn't know anything about Florabama.

More news about the Naval Air Station in Pensacola though... He said the whole NAS is almost completely destroyed.

They probably won't be able to finish thier training there now and will have to finish at Moody AFB in GA and possibly in Memphis too.

I know that he has pictures of some of the destruction down there, so I'll see if I can give an update sometime tomorrow with some of those so you guys can see what the damage is like.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the new bridge from Niceville to Destin survive?

How about Destin it's self?

Found out that my folks house down there survived just fine. Just some tree limbs and debris strewn around, thank God....

I think the mid-bay bridge is ok, but I do believe you cant enter Destin at the other end. My parents live right there at the end of the bridge in Niceville. They lost thier pool cage and some limbs as well, but never lost power. Niceville is up further inside the bay area and better protected than the beach front. Even after Opal I didnt see any real signs of damage except when we crossed over into Destin and Fort Walton Beach. Im starting to understand why they really call it "Nice"ville.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Any word on how the museum at Pensacola faired? They had some really awesome one of a kind aircraft in there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top