Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 9/22/2004 6:47:26 AM EDT
Several weeks before the expiration of the AWB, I ordered a no-ban M4-type kit from Model 1 Sales.

After recieving it, me being the finicky person I am, I decide I would prefer a different configuration. I called M1S, and they told me to send it back, they would refund my money (minus a restocking fee). I decided to wait a few days before choosing my next upper configuration, so I requested a refund instead of a credit. I intended, was I to make my mind up, to get another upper from M1S. I like their prices, and the kit I sent back had appeared to be good-quality stuff.

So I sent the kit back via UPS....

Anyway, according to UPS, the kit was delivered to M1S....some time in AUGUST. After several days, I tracked the package, saw that it had been 'delivered' and called M1S to inquire as to when I could expect to see my refund.

They claim that, to make a long story short, the guy who signed for the package didn't work there. They had never recieved my package.

After a couple of days, I call UPS, and was finally able to track down their tracing department. I believe this would have been on September 7. A trace was inititated. On September 15, I was contacted......UPS was starting to investigate...over a week later!

I forwarded my order-confirmation email to UPS, so they would know what merchandise we were dealing with.

As of this morning, UPS has been in contact with M1S, who still contends that the package was never delivered, and the guy who signed for it does not work there.

Unfortunately, the mystery-signer also signed for several OTHER packages that day for M1S, including a COD package......

So now, UPS is tracing THAT package, too...since there's a good paper trail on COD packages, apparently.

Anyway, I ordered the M4gery kit a month ago. I don't have an upper, and I don't have my money....

So, now I shall add a poll....who screwed the pooch on this one....me, UPS, or M1S?

edit: and THIS is why I'm glad I buy insurance on packages....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
None of the above.

The guy who signed for all those ups packages.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#2]
ups
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#3]
m1s, someone had access to their delivery area and was signing for packages.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#4]
That is crappy business of BOTH Model 1 and UPS........Both companies have insurance to cover you the buyer!  You should recieve your merchandise and let THEM figure out who is at fault and who owes who!  

If UPS takes something from you.....its their responsibility.
If UPS delivers it to Model 1.......then the responsibility lies on Model 1.
If Model 1 claims to have never recieved the parts and UPS has PAST signatures from a known employee.......Model 1 is responsible.

Just my .02 worth...

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#6]
You shipped it correctly

UPS delivered it correctly

Some M1 munch signed for it, and either lost stole it.

Seems like M1 owes you a kit
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
m1s, someone had access to their delivery area and was signing for packages.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Seriously, M1 needs to take respnsility for there facility.  As a customer you did everything you could and UPS delviered the product.  M1 needs to make sure the receiving area is secure especially with the type of stuff they deal with...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
It is not your fault, I don't know if it is Model 1 or UPS (someone somewhere is lying)  Bu you should make it a habit to know if you want something before you order it.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I must admit, this one is all my fault too. My bad, won't happen again
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had to deal with UPS inspectors before - it seemed like the guy was an ex-cop - the kind of ex-cop that gets fired for working too slow (if that's possible).  Also, it seemed like he didn't believe anything I said - imagine what M1S is going through now.

Give them a couple of months - it'll all be straightened out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Your fault!  If you weren't so finicky there would not have been a problem in the first place...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Once you ship it out you have NO control over what happens to the package. That's an issue between UPS and M1S.  M1S should do the right thing and refund you the money and take it up with UPS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Once you ship it out you have NO control over what happens to the package. That's an issue between UPS and M1S.  M1S should do the right thing and refund you the money and take it up with UPS.

+1.
UPS sux. Always use Fed Ex.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I have my doubts about this whole thing, but have a theory.

I can see were a person could intercept the UPS guy and sign for a shipment of stuff without being noticed. My question is who paid for the CODs? If this guy signed for them he had to pay. Not the MO of your average criminal. M1S has always treated me well and I have never had any troubles, not to say they dont happen. UPS however has always casused me greif as well as others. I can see some asshat UPS driver behind this whole thing. Spend few bucks on a COD and get those packages as well as the others mentioned and the whole thing is blamed on either the vendor or a "mystery" man.

It was the UPS driver.
CH
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem here is that you don't know what happened.

If someone had access to M1S's shipping/recieving area & signed and took stuff, then it's M1S's fault...

If the UPS truck delivered to the wrong place, or gave the packages to someone in the parking lot, or the driver was involved in the fraud, then it's UPS's fault...

Of course, the real fault is with whoever stole the package...

All that said, While I like the items I've ordered from M1S, they did send my A2 upper to the wrong address (forgot Apt. #)...  (I got it, they delivered it to the office - UPS caught it and sent it there)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
None of the above.

The guy who signed for all those ups packages.

+1.

It's not really all that hard to walk around a busy shop withouit being bothered by anyone.

And that;s what you and Norman  get for being picky

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Get on Model 1, those guys know they received it and don't want to give you your money back. Money is one thing the gun retailers don't want to give you back is your money unless absolutely necessary. You should think twice before ordering something and asking for a refund. I assumed you paid cash or it s equivalent, pay everything with a credit card even thought the company charges you percentage. The only company that I've ever paid cash was Bushmaster, everybody CC.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a customer who once pulled this.  They needed parts overnight to their facilities in Southern Kali.  I air freight exactly what they asked for - I also warned them about the costs, but they said do it anyway.

Make a long story short, they said they never got it, don't know who signed for it, etc.  Airborne then took up the case and investigated.

Three days later, Airborne Express drove to the physical location, found the guy who signed for it, took him to the office and told them he is the one who signed for it, ask him where your stuff is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#19]
A thief took the package from M1S. You should get a new upper from M1S, but you will have to pay the restocking fee on the original purchase, too.

Bailiff, call the next case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Model One should have traced the package through UPS like you did.  If UPS stands by their statement that someone at Model One signed for it, then it's between Model One and UPS, not you.  You sent it back as they directed and in good faith.  They still have your money.  If you charged it, you might be able to have the charge recovered by the credit card company.  I'd make sure that both parties knew where I stood and wait just a little while for one of them to make good.  If it didn't happen, I'd consider filing a written complaint with the state attorney general's office, Model One and UPS.  

I can't say for certain, but the first suspect I'd look at would be the UPS driver.  Model One can't go anywhere.  They are not a huge corporation. They have a reputation and business to run.  They only have so many employees so theft by one of them might be traceable. UPS on the other hand does have a lot of employees, a lot of locations and a lot of ways to delay any investigations.  However, they also have a reputation and a business to run.  They don't need the grief.  If they had a subsitute driver that week, he could have been a relatively new guy and tempted to steal.  He could have made a lot of thefts in a hurry by intercepting Model Ones packages.  It would be interesting to find out how many packages that particular driver delivered all together that were unaccounted for.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I should have added:

I did pay by credit card.

The kit costs $500.00, plus shipping.

It would now cost $525, give or take. Prices went up after the AWB sunset.

The restocking fee was never specified. I did, however, agree to pay it. If they decided to charge an excessive amount (over 10%, in my opinion), I can live with it if they can live with killing my future business (and possibly the future business of others who learned of it).

I insured the package for $600.

If I start seeing ammo in quantity, I'd like a 6.8 upper. Barring that, I don't know.....

edit: I wonder if anyone at M1S reads the forums......
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#22]
For cryin out loud!

It's George Bush's fault!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]
 I'm in a job where I have to deal with many shipments where UPS is the carrier.  Reading your story, I'd bet that UPS delivered it to the wrong location.  Whoever was at that wrong location probably did no investigation at all of the packages received, they just signed for it and paid the COD.  In my experience the folks that are in receiving departments are primarily concerned with signing for the stuff and getting rid of the UPS driver, everything else comes second.  Similarly, the UPS driver is concerned with getting away from wherever he drops something off and getting on with his route as fast as possible.  So with speed being the primary concern of both parties, lots of mistakes get made.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#24]
You should have put the kit on EE minus what they were to charge you in a restocking fee and your shipping. Returns seem to never work out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 I'm in a job where I have to deal with many shipments where UPS is the carrier.  Reading your story, I'd bet that UPS delivered it to the wrong location.  Whoever was at that wrong location probably did no investigation at all of the packages received, they just signed for it and paid the COD.  In my experience the folks that are in receiving departments are primarily concerned with signing for the stuff and getting rid of the UPS driver, everything else comes second.  Similarly, the UPS driver is concerned with getting away from wherever he drops something off and getting on with his route as fast as possible.  So with speed being the primary concern of both parties, lots of mistakes get made.

That wouldn't surprise me. UPS appears to be taking the position that they're in the clear here, however, and M1S is trying to avoid refunding me. I sort of doubt that.

The one thing that sticks in my mind is the guy at M1S said the package was dropped off at a receiving dock (as was noted on the tracking info I read), but M1S doesn't HAVE a dock.....

Again, I wonder if M1S has any reps that post here......
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#26]
It is insured, don't sweat it
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#27]
If you buy somthing in a store and a guy picks up the item you bought before it is handed to youand leaves with it then the store you are in is responcable.you never recieved what you paid for and the item you paid for was last in the store .

I have been in many gun shops when UPS came in and I have even seen customers sign for packages because the owner was busy . This would seem to me to be the same as shop lifting as the item in the store was stolen inside the store.If it where taken from the UPS man without a siginature then it would be on UPS but because it was signed for in the store it was dilevered. Model 1 is totaly at fault if you had insurance.If you did not have insurance then you are taking a chance somthing like this may happen and you gotta pay the price for that gamble.

Why didn't model 1 call the police when they found out someone took a bunch of packages?sounds fishy. Without a police report the insurance comapny will probably not pay .
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#29]
What if the guy at M1S who received it just signed some other guys name?
Can you get your CC company to credit you on this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What if the guy at M1S who received it just signed some other guys name?
Can you get your CC company to credit you on this?

While I *DO* need the money, I'm trying to get UPS and M1S to work this out without getting the CC company involved.

I still wonder if any of their reps read these forums (how could they NOT?).
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#31]
UPS delivered my new Bushmaster parts (barrel, A1 upper, bolt, etc...) to my neighbor 5 houses down the street, the house numbers werent even close. Idiots ....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
UPS delivered my new Bushmaster parts (barrel, A1 upper, bolt, etc...) to my neighbor 5 houses down the street, the house numbers werent even close. Idiots ....

It's amazing, even when I lived in YOUR part of the world, I never had a UPS problem...it's always been FedEx that gave me fits.

Fedex still can't find my current house.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's amazing, even when I lived in YOUR part of the world, I never had a UPS problem...it's always been FedEx that gave me fits.

Fedex still can't find my current house.

FedEx "quarantined" an upper one time for 2 weeks because they thought it was a complete rifle (x-rayed it). I guess they figured it would jump up out of the box and shoot somebody on it's own....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have my doubts about this whole thing, but have a theory.

I can see were a person could intercept the UPS guy and sign for a shipment of stuff without being noticed. My question is who paid for the CODs? If this guy signed for them he had to pay. Not the MO of your average criminal. M1S has always treated me well and I have never had any troubles, not to say they dont happen. UPS however has always casused me greif as well as others. I can see some asshat UPS driver behind this whole thing. Spend few bucks on a COD and get those packages as well as the others mentioned and the whole thing is blamed on either the vendor or a "mystery" man.

It was the UPS driver.
CH

I agree 100%! Sounds like he has a contact somewhere close by M1S and they are stealing the stuff to either make extra cash on the streets, or they are trying to build up one heck of an arsenal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
bumped for the night crew....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#36]
*UPDATE*

So I call UPS this morning, and I get:

"Uh...yeah, I think the supervisor went out there friday,,,I haven't talked to him yet...not sure what he found. I'll call you back when I find out something."

If I don't hear back from them, I guess I'll start chewing my way up the chain of command this evening.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Depends on how the signature checks out. If it ain't someone from M1S then the fault is on UPS, if it is a legit M1S signature then the fault belongs to M1S, regardless you are in the clear.
Good luck, this might take some time.

BTW, since M1S and you are not in the same state could this rise to the level of a federal crime?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#38]
next update....

the 'supervisor' who is *supposed* to be visiting M1S (from UPS) to resolve the issue...hasn't done so yet.

As I type this, I am (in theory) on hold to speak with this supervisor's manager.

wait...no, nevermind....he's in a meeting until this evening (they're always in a meeting....)

When i first called this morning, I was told that my contact person had stepped out for a moment, but would call me back in 5 minutes...an hour later, I had to call back.

Ok, so now I have this manager's phone number.

I'll call this evening.

Anyone think I should call M1S and try to discuss this with them?

I was under the impression that UPS resolved these things in 10 days or less.

It's been 22 days.

UPS is convinced (from what I have gathered) that M1S simply didn't want to issue a refund, so they just denied recieving it.

I *still* can't believe nobody from M1S has read this and responded.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#39]
It's between UPS and M1S. Tell 'em it's insured, pay you and solve their problems on their time and dime.

When the carrier picks up the package, THEY are responsible for it until it is delivered, EVEN IF THEY DELIVER IT TO THE INCORRECT ADDRESS, IT GETS LOST, ETC.
Your shipment became UPS's property until they delivered it.

I'd start climbing the corporate ladders at both places. Seems like M1S isn't treating you too well, either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I would call them and give them an "update". This looks bad for them and  can say that I put off an order for some parts due to the lack of resalution here. Though I think UPS is at fault here, M1S should have just stepped up and taken care of it, and delt with UPS later.

CH
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I was under the impression that UPS resolved these things in 10 days or less.

Good luck with that. UPS "misplaced" a L.A.R. upper receiver that I ordered - and that was on 8/31/2004. They're still giving me the runaround and playing "pass the hot potato". The best part is when they claim they can't deal with me because I'm not the shipper, then when L.A.R. calls, they play dumb and claim they have no idea what's going on and then I have to call back and start the process again... Sadly, this has probably cost more in money man hours to more than cover the $48 receiver they lost.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Try this: Call UPS Capital Insurance Agency, Inc.  1-877-242-7930
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Try this: Call UPS Capital Insurance Agency, Inc.  1-877-242-7930

Thanks....that'll be on the agenda for this evening. I'm gonna give the manager a chance first.

<---wants his money back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Another Customer Service Success Story brought to you by the fried chicken-eatin fat lady of Nesard/Sherluk/Model1 Sales...

And when you do get your shit, please DO report back to us and let us know if it works.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Keep us posted
CH
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#46]
As you approach the 30-day mark, I'd consider calling your CC about the matter since they usually only have a 30 day window for such disputes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I want to hear the outcome on this as well.  If it doesn't turn out to be a crooked employee of either company, then I'm going to boycott which ever one tried to screw you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#48]
*Ahem*

To the guys at M1S who I now understand to be aware of this thread.......

I haven't 'whined' about you...yet.

Now I will.

I see that you're watching this thread....

Xxxxx wrote:
>
> You should really check this out. Seems you are in the middle of a dispute between UPS, and a customer. Regardless who is at fault, m1s is involved in a negative situation.
> http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277277&page=1
>
>
> Regards,
>Xxxxx
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: [email protected]
> To: Xxxxx
> Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 9:17 AM
> Subject: Re: M1S customer service under fire....
>
>
> We know, He shipped something here and we never got it................So he's whining about it to anyone who he thinks will listen
>
> Thank you very much
>

>
>

So, did you guys ever figure out how you managed to cut a check for that COD package, signed for by the guy that signed for my package, yet you somehow never recieved my package?

Interesting, I tell you........

Are you in some sort of competition w/ UPS to see who can give the worst service?

Thanks. Not only will this now be forwarded to the appropriate folks at UPS, but you also just lost an order for the .300 whisper upper I was considering. Further......whether you like it or not, anything that happens customer-service-wise in the ar15 world WILL be discussed here, whether it involves you or any other ar15-related company. Get used to it. You just got outed on the #1 gun-related site on the internet. Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#49]
No M1S for me.........

My new slogan......

"Friends don't let friends buy M1S"..........not very original but VERY effective....  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#50]
This seems to go hand in hand with my experiance just asking them questions. I emailed them asking about priceing and availibility and they responded in like 30 minutes. After my order i emailed them questioning there product and get totaly ignored.  This is the reason my last Model1 upper will remain just that, My last!!!! I have taken my money elsewhere to a place who deals in customer satisfaction and not just AR parts.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top