Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 10:30:49 AM EDT
Like the title says how were these brakes attached? Were they pinned and welded or were they silver soldered? Also If they were pinned and welded where is the pin located, top of the brake, bottom of the brake or left or right side of the brake?

The AK Brake has got to be the most obnoxious noise maker out there and I would like to replace it with a 5.5" flash hider. So if there is anyone out there who can give me some solid answers to the questions above I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
AKASL
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT Some one on this board must know the answer to these questions.

AKASL
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Like the title says how were these brakes attached?  

Thanks
AKASL

With Brake Pads!!!

But seriously folks... Before you start hacking into that, i would call Bushmaster tomorrow and see if you can talk to someone there. From experience, you may get an answer that is "Holy sh*t, its THAT easy" to "Well, I guess i'm stuck with it"
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
i LOVE my ak brake, yes its not a flash hider, but it works so well! that I am going to keep it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually the loudest most obnoxious noise maker out there is the Bushmaster Mini-Y-Comp. Sorry I can't help you in removing the comp.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Your right Headless,the mini "Y" Comp is much louder than  the AK Brake on AKASL's Bushy..........He is just a wimp!!!....................................Just kidding Andy!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
In case anyone wondersabout AK brakes on 20" Bushmaster rifles. Here's how I got the AK brake off my 20" Bushmaster.

I had to cut a slot over the hole for the cross pin with a Dremel to get it loose . Then I  had to make another cut down the length of brake where it joins the barrel. There was a little radius of metal left in the cut where the brake meets the barrel, and I carefully broke that apart with a chisel. At this point the brake still on the barrel tighter than crap, so I pried at the cut with a screwdriver till the brake cracked open a little. A light wack with the hammer send the brake flying off.

From the looks of it the brake had been pressed fitted to the barrel (with Loctite). The barrel (smooth--no threads) is stepped down where the brake was attached; barrel .721, step down .700.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Ak break, its one of the few that work good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at the brake. You should see a finish flaw,thats where the pin was welded over. Dremel off that weld to reveal the pin.  the pin will be a pin, or a screw. If its a screw, just back it out.  If its a pin put the Brl in a vice, put a big wrench on the brake and wiggle the break back & forth just a little bit to loosen the pin until it will fall out.  Its not difficult.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dissipator with the AK brake has  the pin clearly visible on the underside of the barrel. Yeah, its loud...wish I could swap it out for a standard GI  A2 comp since the whole purpose of having the Dissipator was to have the 16 " barrel and the AK brake adds an inch or two over the standard  military comp, but being here in NYS, I am stuck with the state AWB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top