Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 1:04:41 PM EDT
Here is some advice to the person who solicited advice regarding a possible purchase of a 92 Ford F150 last week.

My dad is a mechanic.

He states that vehicles with plows have mechanical problems due to the salt damaging components such as brake lines.

He says also the age(14 years old) is also a sign of caution.

That is just his advice, I say Buyer Beware, but draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
uh?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking to buy a 92 or give advice to somebody?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
edit: -comment withdrawn-
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an F250 extended cab 4X4.  Great truck, but it had some serious problems with the coolant system.  Inspect around the water pump and timing chain cover for ANY sign of leaks.  For some reason, the aluminum corrodes easily and they're a cast iron bitch to replace.  Between the timing chain cover corroding and a stopped up water jacket 'somewhere' in the engine block, my truck would overheat in the winter...in Michigan.  I bought it to tow my boat and never could until I did a complete tear down/overhaul of the engine.  Make sure you test drive the SHIT out of it and if something isn't right, unless you are absolutely sure you can fix it cheap, WALK AWAY.

(oh, and it only got about 7 mpg...something to think about with $2/gal gas)

edited to appease the spelling nazis
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
IF yer a man, get a good set of wrenches.

If yer a woman, marry a good mechanic.

That's my advice for Ford owners.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The poster is offering second-hand advice to someone who posted last week about the subject vehicle. The vehicle had most probably been used for plowing, since it had really low mileage, and I think there was even further photographic reason to suspect previous plow duty.

Deej86 was just trying to be helpful in his first post, and since not a Team Member, does not have the Search function at his disposal to track down the original thread. I will do that, and cross-post this response for him.

ETA: Found the original thread here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I just joined and was giving advice
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
At least he's a nice newbie.

According to AR15 .com rules all newbies must post nude photos of themselves in the women shooters forum or risk having your account locked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top