Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2004 10:28:07 AM EDT
Now normally I go to a local Cuban bakery for my Cafe con Leche in the morning.   As most Floridians will attest, Cuban bakeries, their owners and most of their patrons are about as left-leaning as Ollie, G. Gordon and Rush.

For some reason I decided to pop into a Starbucks I've driven by, but never had the pleasure of patronizing.  Outside are parked an eclectic mix of BIG SUV’s made in countries that lost WWII, little econoboxes built in various Pacific Rim nations and bicycles of unknown make or origin. Please note that I have had little experience with "bikes" except for the occasional Schwinn or Harley-Davidson.  God gave us internal combustion engines for a reason and I'm not pedaling.  Over half the vehicles have some variety of "I Kream over Kerry!" or "Bush is a Nazi Thug" bumper stickers - you get the idea.

I decide to back my 90' Dodge Power Ram (Ol' Blue) into the (only available) space directly in front of the (fully occupied) outside patio seating.  My 14 year old exhaust system, coupled with a 4" hillbilly lift, had the unfortunate side effect of fumigating the (outdoor-loving, venti-double-decaf-lite-mocha-frappacino-quaffing, lycra-clad, well-coifed) seated soccer MILFs with several cubic feet of toxic, malodorous Detroit perfume.  

"Ol' Blue"

I'm not sure if it was the smog I produced with Ol' Blue, or the "Viva Bush" and "NRA for Mel Martinez" stickers on the window, but something caused facial contortions like these women just found out their Vietnamese manicurist cancelled their 1 o'clock, the Mall burned down and their "Doctor" won't get any more Botox in for at least a month.  With a jaunty nod and a wink (and admittedly, perhaps a mild leer) to the gagging gaggle of liberal ladies, I proceeded into the store, a small whiff of burned hydrocarbons trailing behind.

After taking my place in the queue and wasting a precious 1.3 seconds of my life listening to the lesbians biologically-confused females in front of me argue the merits of Starbucks coffee additives,  I did my best to filter out the cacaphony of conversations besieging my tender, conservative ears.  

I sunk into myself and attempted to keep up a running self-help mantra; "Go to your 'Happy Place', Bay. Find your center. Stay on target. Soylent Green is people. STAY ON TARGET! Really explore the space. More Cowbell. Did Nietzsche die of syphilis?”

In spite of my internal monologue, I maintained visual situational awareness and noted that Starbucks Corporate HR and Recruiting must have some guideline mandating the hiring of thirty-something, over-the-top, flaming gay gentlemen and twenty-something, sort-of-cute-in-a-hippie-way, ambiguously gay women.  It appeared I had fallen into a radiation-induced mutation of "Friends/Will & Grace".  As I started to feel curiously faint, a growing wetness on my chest alerted the drool-mitigation subsection of my brain that it was time to perhaps slurp, or at least close my jaws.

Aroused from my reverie by the insistent, "Hello.       Hello?           HELLO!" of the diminutive "Barista", I casually wiped the drool from my chin, gathered my wits and girded my loins for the beverage ordering process to come.

---An aside, if you will allow me.  What the hell makes a "Barista" different from Flo at Mel's Diner or even Muhammed's wife at my local Dunkin' Donuts?  Why doesn't Muhammed's wife have a name tag?  Why do Baristas rate an Action Figure?
Why is there a World Barista Championship held and what compelled Tim Wendelboe of Norway to not only compete in this "Contest" but have the drive to beat out an international field of coffee-grinding, water-boiling, filter-swapping athletes?---

I don't want to give the reader the wrong impression.  I am not a complete Starbucks neophyte.  I have traveled this path before; in airport kiosks, in supermarkets and even in my local library with it's two pumper carafes of Seattle's liquid gold.  But it had been a very long time since my last trip to a standalone store.  I was rusty.  I was also mildly disoriented from my recent drive in "Old Blue" and the vibrations, banging and strange, low-frequency hum that accompanies ownership of a classic American pickup truck.  I still couldn't remember if Nietzsche died of syphilis and this was making my left eye twitch for some reason.

I should have backed out.  

But as I stood there; male, hetero, Roman Catholic (well-endowed), conservative, drooling, twitchy and disoriented, puzzled at the final fate of a long dead 19th century philosopher, needing a cigarette..........

cigarette.

Cigarettes! Smoking! Quitting!  

I quickly recovered my composure, at last making the proper synaptic connections in my addled brain - remembering my dozens of smoking cessation dramas, their ultimate failure and my final, bittersweet justification that "Quitting is for losers".

Quitting is indeed, for losers.  I will not quit.

"I want a medium Ethiopian Yergacheffe".  

<one million one>

<one million two>

Bad Bay!!!  Judging by the raised eyebrow of the retro-hippie coffee slinger in front of me, I have erred.  "Large, Grande or Venti, sir?"  She asked with barely concealed delight.  Wrong I may be, in Barista World – but dammit  I'm Irish, I was raised in Philly and I'm stubborn.  I point, with my outstretched 35" arm, to the second of three waxed-paper-cup towers piled next to the register.

"That one", says I.

"Grande?", says she.

"Medium", says I with the finality of tone and the grizzled countenance of Josey Wales facing down four Bluebellies on the dusty porch of a General Store in a no-name western town.

"OneGrandeEthiopianYergacheffe", she defiantly spits back in a mono-syllabic burst of rapid fire Barista-speak.  

Through the rapidly growing red fog in my vision and the blood pounding in my ears, I only dimly recall paying for my GrandeEthiopianYergacheffe.  Damn her. Damn them all to hell or whatever these Baristas consider an unpleasant afterlife.   I grab my GrandeEthiopianYergacheffe, palm and pocket the change from my transaction and spin from the counter.  Lurching forward like a three-legged AT-AT, I barrel upstream into the double-line of "Regulars" waiting like $5 Ho's jonesing for their crack pipe to come back around.

For the love of God! Get out of my way!  Make a hole!  Let me out of here!

Out the door, past the formerly asphyxiating, now-haughty patio spawn and their gym-hardened, surgically-sculpted bodies and their little, liberal, morally bereft minds.  Past the newly arriving, crusty old, Jimmy Buffet-lookin' m-fer on his "E-bike" (WTF is an E-bike?) and into the blessed sanctuary of my loyal companion - Ol' Blue.  

Shades on, key in ignition, turn the key, experience the gratifying roar of a 318 cubic inch beast straining at it's leash.  Crank the windows down (no A/C for this real man), rev the engine once... twice.  Dragon's breath spews from the rear end.  The patio dwellers recoil in horror.  Now the radio.  Fox on AM,  or risk the FM dial for the acoustical accompaniment to my grand exit from the parking lot. Punch the selector for FM and immediately hear the instantly recognizable opening words of SWEET HOME ALABAMA! The Red Neck Anthem!  

[ronnie vanzant]Turn it up.[/ronnie vanzant]

Bwahahhahahaha!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Outside are parked an eclectic mix of BIG SUV’s made in countries that lost WWII,

Huh?  Which BIG suv's are made in Germany or Japan?  Ford Excusion? nope.  Chevy Suburban? nope.  GM H2? Nope.  Nissans big new SUV? nope.  Was there a little whisky in your coffee?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Their sizing system is messed up.  A small coffee there is a Tall.  If its small shouldn't it be called a Short? How is Grande medium? Grande, you think grand, you think grand you think big and calling a large Venti, wtf does Venti mean?  Fuck starbucks and their messed up system.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
[golf clap]---------[/golf clap]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Outside are parked an eclectic mix of BIG SUV’s made in countries that lost WWII,

Huh?  Which BIG suv's are made in Germany or Japan?  Ford Excusion? nope.  Chevy Suburban? nope.  GM H2? Nope.  Nissans big new SUV? nope.  Was there a little whisky in your coffee?

Those fullsize lexus and toyotas ain't little and neither is that boxy Mercedes thingamajob.  Looks like an old Trooper.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#5]
AWESOME POST!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent story.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Great story BayEagle.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude, that's one of the funniest stories I've read in a LONG time. Nice job! You sir, rock.

Am I the only one reminded of Dennis Leary? "A menu...coffee doesn't need a menu, it needs a cup, that's all it needs!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those fullsize lexus and toyotas ain't little and neither is that boxy Mercedes thingamajob.  Looks like an old Trooper.

They are midsized "SUV's" (station wagons) at best, and most of them were built by US workers in US plants. Your complaining about Starbucks sizing sytem, yet you think a lexus "SUV" is BIG in a market that includeds the Excusion, Suburban, & H2. Now THAT'S funny.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Starbucks coffee?  Too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[golf clap]---------[/golf clap]

+1. That was beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Dang good writin'.

Perfect attitude.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
this story has inspired me. i dont know how. it just has
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

me too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#16]
LMAO!!!

The ONLY way this could have been better was if Ol' Blue had a Cummins instead of a Mopar 318.

LET 'ER RIP, BOY!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Very good sir very good
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#18]
mmmmmm.... Nothing like a $8 cup of coffee, in who the hell knows what size.

Bravo BayEagle.  If you go back make Ol' Blue jump up the curb of the patio a little, just to give em a scare.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are midsized "SUV's" (station wagons) at best, and most of them were built by US workers in US plants. Your complaining about Starbucks sizing sytem, yet you think a lexus "SUV" is BIG in a market that includeds the Excusion, Suburban, & H2. Now THAT'S funny.

You obviously can't appreciate my advanced literary skills in attempting to juxtapose the vehicles of choice driven by my antagonists - the Big and Little imports.  The dichotomy of it, the sheer irony.

<sigh> My talents are wasted.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Excellent Post

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
great, great, great!!!!

I loved the Wedge reference with the three-legged At-At.

Last time I was at Starbucks, it was here in Jacksonville after we had been without power for two days due to one of the fourteen hurricanes that came our way this season.  The Starbucks in Riverside was the only one open.  My wife and I NEEDED coffee.  So we go to the repository of wonderful coffee and all things Democrat.  Riverside is a section of town known for its large gay population, WAAAY overpriced real estate and by far more Kerry yard signs than W.

Anyway, the line extends far out the front door.  My wife and decide to wait.  The woman in front of me has W and Bush/Cheney buttons all over her purse.  She and I strike up a purposely LOUD conversation wherein we extolled the virtues of W and reveled in discussing the pathetic state of a democratic party that would offer up Kerry for sacrifice.  This LOUD conversation lasted for about 30 minutes.  We discussed everything from the necessity of the Iraq war to the lies and flip-flopping of Kerry and everything in between.  

Not a single patron, many of whom had bumper stickers for Kerry or other democrat-identifying marks, had the cajones to say anything to oppose us.  

It was the single best cup of coffee I have ever received at Starbucks.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Beautiful, just beautiful!

Watch out piccolo!  We have another master storyteller here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn, I need coffee!!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both Lexus and Acura SUVs are made in Canada.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Their sizing system is messed up.  A small coffee there is a Tall.  If its small shouldn't it be called a Short? How is Grande medium? Grande, you think grand, you think grand you think big and calling a large Venti, wtf does Venti mean?  Fuck starbucks and their messed up system.

Oh sure.  Tell us your straight.

I didn't even know they had a 'naming system'.  You can not only name them, but explain them.

They have good quiche there, too?

TRG

Hey now, no where did I explain the naming system? instead it was a mini rant against it, whoever came up with the system must have been high on something .  

guiche? isn't that what french people eat?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, they're called 'Baristas' because it would hurt their feelings if you called them 'Coffee girls/boys'.  I mean, that would be so unsophisticated and neanderthal!  

The same goes for the cups!  They need to have some hippy fresh name for everything so as to be 'different'.   The whole precept of the liberal mindset is being different from everyone else by being more 'enlightened'.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#27]
This story needs more AT-AT!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#28]
That's good shit man...and the AT-AT reference was funny as hell.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay with me people!  Follow the money!  Ain't no damn Canucks named Toyota!  Who is gettin' PAID? That's what I'm sayin'.

Sure.  There's a McDonald's in Machuria.  Ray Kroc (RIP) is gettin paid the big bucks, dangit.  Not  Wang-Hung Low.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#30]

I feel so
lame
I drink black coffee
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me too.

Me Three.......

Great Post!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I feel so
lame
I drink black coffee

Don't. I don't add any crap to my coffee, either. When I see people dumping loads of sugar and cream in their coffee, it maks me wonder if they actually like COFFEE or not.

The most you'll ever see me do is add a touch of salt if it's extremely bitter (i.e. cooked down for a couple of days) and I need my fix.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay with me people!  Follow the money!  Ain't no damn Canucks named Toyota!  Who is gettin' PAID? That's what I'm sayin'.

That may be what you meant, but it's not what you wrote.  I apologize for assuming you actually meant what you wrote.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey, I know!  Let's argue semantics about a hell of a good story.  For fuck's sake...

BayEagle, OUTSTANDING!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That may be what you meant, but it's not what you wrote.  I apologize for assuming you actually wrote what you meant.

Good Lord!  When Steinbeck talked about the Green Light at the end of the dock in The Great Gatsby, was he talking about outdoor lighting or money?  Was the sign with the Big Eye just overbearing Optometric marketing? Or was it something more?

Did I mean what I wrote or was it a trap?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe they had some Unimogs parked there.

They're a little bigger than an H2.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hey, I know!  Let's argue semantics about a hell of a good story.  For fuck's sake...

BayEagle, OUTSTANDING!

If we want to argue about something let's argue about the fact that there was only one AT-AT reference.

THIS STORY NEEDS MORE AT-AT!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

BayEagle, OUTSTANDING!

AR15fan just ran out of "I Hate W" stuff to post and has to piss on BayEagle.

BayEagle: I laughed. I cried. It changed my life. You have some real talent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BayEagle, OUTSTANDING!

If we want to argue about something let's argue about the fact that there was only one AT-AT reference.

THIS STORY NEEDS MORE AT-AT!

Well they are foreign built.  Perhaps I missed one in the parking lot.

Hmmm.    It may go in the movie version.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Here is a perfect match to BayEagle's story!  Click here and watch "Small, Medium, Large" and "COFFEE HOUSE PROPAGANDA"  

edited to add profanity warning
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#42]
P.S.  Mercedes, Hyandi's, and Toyota parts are made in America, in AL to be exact.

But I do feel ya, bro.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#43]
AR15FAN, you're a big dork.  Your stupid, pedantic argument just sullied what was otherwise the best post of the day.  Thanx, dickhead.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
LMAO!!!

The ONLY way this could have been better was if Ol' Blue had a Cummins instead of a Mopar 318.

LET 'ER RIP, BOY!!!!  

A Cummins and a rifle rack, with an AR and a FAL.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That may be what you meant, but it's not what you wrote.  I apologize for assuming you actually wrote what you meant.

Good Lord!  When Steinbeck talked about the Green Light at the end of the dock in The Great Gatsby, was he talking about outdoor lighting or money?  Was the sign with the Big Eye just overbearing Optometric marketing? Or was it something more?

Did I mean what I wrote or was it a trap?

Oh, i thought this was a discussion board, not a bulliten board for short stories. again, excuse me for assuming you meant what you wrote. i didnt realize it was pretend story time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Oh, i thought this was a discussion board, not a bulliten board for short stories. again, excuse me for assuming you meant what you wrote. i didnt realize it was pretend story time.

Was it pretend?  Or was it real?

Is it being discussed?  Or being trolled?

Does it rub the lotion on it's skin?  

BTW- I appreciate your lack of capitalization in your last post.  Very "ee cummings" of you.  Well done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is picking apart a good story your talent. If so, you have none!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Bravo BayEagle !!!
Magnificent post! A fucking classic indeed!

P.S. If you ever go back there, go on open headers!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#49]
You're Pa Kettle on steriods!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Lesse.... "redneck" goes to Starbucks while making fun of people who go to Starbucks... ridicules bicycles  while bragging about stinky exhaust.  Makes sense. (heh)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top