Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2004 5:20:15 PM EDT
Is the exploding targets called tannerite legal as such are the new mongo targets?? can any one own them and has any one had any experiance with them, are they worth it?? hpw loud are they and how far away do you need to be?? thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
They are legal (tannerite) if you shoot them the day you mix them. They are worth it. At 25 yds you'll be showered with dirt and debris. At 50 you'll be lightly dusted with dirt and debris. IIRC, the mfg recommends a minimum of 100yds. They are loud as hell; chest-thumpingly loud; chub-inducingly loud.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your zoning.

A single bottle sets off car alarms within 75 yards.

In mixing more than one bottle together -per Daniel Tanner - you tend to reach a point of diminishing returns at 3 bottle's worth. You can use slightly less than a tablespoon of gray activator for best results - don't waste it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Check your zoning.

In mixing more than one bottle together -per Daniel Tanner - you tend to reach a point of diminishing returns at 3 bottle's worth. You can use slightly less than a tablespoon of gray activator for best results - don't waste it.

you lost me, i have never seen or used this stuff so i dont know what your talking about

also will a .223 set one off or do you need something like a .308??
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check your zoning.

you lost me, i have never seen or used this stuff so i dont know what your talking about

also will a .223 set one off or do you need something like a .308??

Here's what ya get in a standard order :

Tannerite is a binary target. The white bottle contains a powder that you mix with one tablespoon or less of the gray powder seen in the white capped jar next to the video. It requires a high velocity impact to detonate it, a .223 will work just fine.

Go here, read it - lots of solid info : http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html

Link Posted: 12/6/2004 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Check your zoning.

I can verify that. I had a bottle of Tannerite set off a car alarm that was maybe 150 yards away. It is LOUD and fun.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
we mixxed up 5 bottles.
the $195 front windshield taught us a lesson

edit to reflect that the windshield spider webbed not from being hit by a flying object, but rather, from the concusive force alone.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't put it inside of a barrel that you had just recently opened with another bottle...

not good, not good....

Link Posted: 12/6/2004 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to ask 1Gunrunner about where not to put it
It is legal in all 50 states, just call dan and ask, or check out the Washington Home Town Board we went over it there not long ago.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Check your zoning.

We found you need to double the volume of explosives to get a "bigger" boom. That's why we use 1, 2, and 4 pound targets. Adding a third bottle won't add much - adding a fourth should give you a noticably bigger boom than 2 bottles. The next step up is 8 - hope you have good insurance, buying windows is spendy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The biggest I've seen was 20 bottles IIRC. Put all in a gallon milk jug container. It was quite an explosion. 100 Yards is the minimum I'd want to be away from more than 1 bottle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Never shot it here, range doesnt say I cant, but they wouldnt be happy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The biggest I've seen was 20 bottles IIRC. Put all in a gallon milk jug container. It was quite an explosion. 100 Yards is the minimum I'd want to be away from more than 1 bottle.

WORD
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check your zoning.

We found you need to double the volume of explosives to get a "bigger" boom. That's why we use 1, 2, and 4 pound targets. Adding a third bottle won't add much - adding a fourth should give you a noticably bigger boom than 2 bottles. The next step up is 8 - hope you have good insurance, buying windows is spendy.

Good info- thanks!

Quoted:
Never shot it here, range doesnt say I cant, but they wouldnt be happy.

You oughta ask, you might be surprised Especially if they ever have any kind of "private" shoots - I dropped off a half-case at a MG shoot at Miami's Trail Glades range a few year's ago, was a private shoot on a mid-week night when the range was closed to regulars. I figure Dan got a few dozen orders after that from folks who'd never messed with the stuff before.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Most I've seen was 6 bottles taped together, probably around 100 yards away.  Very exciting, and I was quite lucky with the camara that time, too.

picture, 160K
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#15]
great pic, all i can think of is  [joe dirt]  daaang [/joe dirt] .
now i wanna go mix some up. it kills me to not shoot a whole case when i get it. i managed to hold onto 8.  the experience is the same as money burning a hole in your pocket, you just can't fight doing it.
giving in is a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have witnessed 5 gallons go off.....

Beekeeper1 can attest to this as he was the one who set it off using his State Arms 50BMG.

10 gallons was attempted but the mixture absorbed too much moisture that it wouldn't set off.  So, we stuck to various 1,2,3,4,5 pound charges.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
100 Yards is the minimum I'd want to be away from more than 1 bottle.

I don't know what one bottle of Tannerite weighs, but when the Boomershoot started Joe stayed 100 yards from 1/2 pint containers. Right now we're shooting 6" (2 pound) containers from about 20 feet. I've shot larger from closer, but I got a pierced cheek from a rock so I don't do that any more.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check your zoning.

We just used 8 last weekend to bring down a dangerous tree snag.  I shot it from about 60 yards away.  Video to be posted later this week.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#19]
One gallon milk jug:

First pic of blast radius is about 20 feet wide.... second pic is about 30 or more.  There was a 10 foot (or more) area on the ground, where the percussion had literally sheared the wheat stems, they were gone.  There was a case of diet strawberry cream soda duct taped around the milk jug, and an old shot up propane cylinder sitting on top of the whole mess.

We never found the reamins of ANY of the cream soda, nor did we ever find that propane cylinder.  Just one small piece... a twisted chunk about 1/10 of the tank.

Yeah..... it's worth it.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#20]
tannerite is 1/2 pound charges..

videos here
http://www.lanpartyworld.com/ww2/files/tannerite/

and this 1
http://www.lanpartyworld.com/ww2/files/he-test.wmv

the mongo targets i make my self.. my cost is about 1$ a pound compared to 11 for tannerite :)

i have video of 13 tannerites in a milk just blowing a 4 foot hole at a MG shoot.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#21]
WRT gasoline combustion, we added pixie dust of various kinds to go from:

to:

Here are some 1 gallon shots from 275 yards:

More pictures, videos here

More videos here, including the famous kim.avi.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It is legal in all 50 states, just call dan and ask, or check out the Washington Home Town Board we went over it there not long ago.

I'm having a hard time believing that any explosive is legal in NJ.  Even one of those little Thunderbombs that you can blow up in your hand would get you into big shit here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Is that Diesel?  Will compression set diesel off like that or does it need a flare?
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Would it be possible to blow beaver dams with this stuff??
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
After having done a number of really stupid things with it, I'd strongly advise NOT putting anything metal anywhere near the charge.  Propane tanks, computer cabinets, anything that can produce shrapnel is very, very dangerous.  This stuff is very fun, but without common sense can quickly become deadly.  

Absolutely, and 1 Tannerite related "incident" could become VERY BAD FOR US!  Please act responsibly or else the teacher will take your toys away.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen plenty of tanneite shot. Please keep this one thing in mind. Do not set any object around it unless you are doing this in the desert. It will throw objects a long way, 100's of yards, damage to cars & property are one thing, damage a wall or something at your local range and see what happens. It's only a matter of time before someone is killed ar seriously injured with this stuff because they wanted to be a DUMBASS. Local range here banned it. A single bottle detonated on top of a 2x4 will slice a 4" section out of the 2x4 and leave splinters on the remaining ends. For all of or sakes & the sake of future fun, please be safe with this stuff and use a little common sense.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've seen plenty of tanneite shot. Please keep this one thing in mind. Do not set any object around it unless you are doing this in the desert. It will throw objects a long way, 100's of yards, damage to cars & property are one thing, damage a wall or something at your local range and see what happens. It's only a matter of time before someone is killed ar seriously injured with this stuff because they wanted to be a DUMBASS. Local range here banned it. A single bottle detonated on top of a 2x4 will slice a 4" section out of the 2x4 and leave splinters on the remaining ends. For all of or sakes & the sake of future fun, please be safe with this stuff and use a little common sense.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is that Diesel?  Will compression set diesel off like that or does it need a flare?

We used gasoline. Diesel didn't work as well. If you read the links I posted, you can see the entire process for making it work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#30]
We shot a couple Tannerite targets at a get together back in 02.  One bottle was enough to shake the travel trailer I was sitting in, which was about 130-150 yards away from the target.

BOOM!

Didn't detect any debris, but then, I was inside a travel trailer.  

And .223 set it off just fine.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Tannerite is fun in 35mm film cases... its still LOUD and booming... and lasts alot longer.

Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes, it will blow the shit out of a beaver dam.  

But theyre protected animals and you should just kindly ask them to leave and not blow them into pink mist.....riiiiight.

Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Tannerite is fun in 35mm film cases... its still LOUD and booming... and lasts alot longer.

Good tip!  Thanks.

BTW - I just ordered two cases yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

But theyre protected animals and you should just kindly ask them to leave and not blow them into pink mist.....riiiiight.

I'll work provided you can protect the tannerite from moisture.

If ANY water gets into the mix you are screwed.  Introduction of water happens very quickly too.  I floated a bottle of tannerite on a lake and shot it.  Nothing happened, and we recovered a bottle with a hole in it filled with dark grey mud.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If ANY water gets into the mix you are screwed.  Introduction of water happens very quickly too.  I floated a bottle of tannerite on a lake and shot it.  Nothing happened, and we recovered a bottle with a hole in it filled with dark grey mud.

I was thinking that maybe if it was mixed in a Mason jar on the down stream side of the dam, that it would work.  Critiques, suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#38]
AWESOME pics and vids, gents - makes me feel like a piker
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking that maybe if it was mixed in a Mason jar on the down stream side of the dam, that it would work.  Critiques, suggestions?

Well, the container I was using was waterproof as well, but somehow the mixture got spoiled.

I don't know if the mason jar idea would work or not.  Keep in mind that using a glass jar will greatly increase the risk of injury!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#40]
i have 75 pounds at my house right now... me and a buddy split up 150# we bought :)

75# fits in 2 5 gallon paint buckets.

Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the container I was using was waterproof as well, but somehow the mixture got spoiled.

I don't know if the mason jar idea would work or not.  Keep in mind that using a glass jar will greatly increase the risk of injury!!!

No Glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plastic soda bottle or other thin walled plastic container. No PVC pipe!!!

Stuff has to be mixed properly, must be dry and must be hit with a high vel round.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stuff has to be mixed properly, must be dry and must be hit with a high vel round.

And FMJ's--no soft points.

I have had great success with the Winchester White-Box 45 grain JHP rounds.  They work great, and are far more accurate than the other stuff.  I have had duds with A-Max, and V-Max rounds.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
After having done a number of really stupid things with it, I'd strongly advise NOT putting anything metal anywhere near the charge.  Propane tanks, computer cabinets, anything that can produce shrapnel is very, very dangerous.  This stuff is very fun, but without common sense can quickly become deadly.  

Can attest to that.  Approx. 7lbs. in a washing machine.  Only found little pieces of shrapnel, but at about 100 yds.  Oh and the warranty info about 50 yds away.  (Sometimes I make the mistake of letting the coolness factor override the common sense factor, but usually only once per day)

Don't put in metal objects for sure unless you have some kind of barrier between you and the explosion.  

Putting in pumpkins is cool though.

Also tried adding a little magnesium powder for flash, but haven't really gotten that to work yet.

Have fun
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Does anybody know what the shelf life is if it is unopened, and unmixed?
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Putting in pumpkins is cool though.

Also tried adding a little magnesium powder for flash, but haven't really gotten that to work yet.

Here: pumpkins, explosives, and a flash; watch the videos here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#47]
wow i didnt expect this to be so popular!! So I guess i need to try it huh?? way out in the country though. so setting htis stuff off wont get the atf confiscating everything you own??
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Seen a bottle set off on a flat rock about 1 inch thick and the size of a piece of letter sized paper: all that was left was little rock bits no bigger than a peanut.  It is very powerful stuff and to be respected.

If you set 2 bottles off on a 8 inch tree it goes about half way through.  One more charge and it cuts through.  

If you put it into a plastic bag you can shape it into a cone, tape it up, and direct the force one way or the other by shooting the tip of the cone.

One question I have never heard answered is will a binary emergency cracker will set off tannerite?

(Emergency crackers are like tannerite but mixed up and put into a card tube to make something which looks like an M-80 and set off with with a fuse.)
Link Posted: 12/7/2004 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Does anybody know what the shelf life is if it is unopened, and unmixed?

The white part (ammonium nitrate and ammonium perchlorate) is hygrosocpic and it will clump up somewhat over a period of months even if you leave the bottles closed.  Probably the existing moisture in the bottle is enough to cause crystals to form and re-form.  An open bottle goes to shit pretty fast, of course depending on your ambient relative humidity.

Don't ask how I found out, but in a mixed condition (ready to blow) it stays good over a year if the bottle is kept sealed.

Tannerite pumpkins and watermelons are great.  So is a Tannerite mannequin, or the followup Tannerite mannequin head.

<Removed.  Please don't recommend stupid shit that could get someone killed.  WTF is wrong with you?>
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top