Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 5:41:05 PM EDT
So I'm sitting there Christmas day and I'm opening presents. I save the biggest heaviest box for last of course. I open it up and what do i find?? A crockpot.

Well, now I have the damn thing and have no idea how to use it or what to put in it. I've heard you can make some GOOD stuff in these things but I need some help.

What do you guys cook in these things, how do you do it, how long do you do it for?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
put any vegetable you have and meat in there till it is 1/2 way full.  Then fill 1/2" from the top with water.  Turn on low and wait 24 hours.

That's it.

Celery, onions, tomates,peas, etc make great veggies.

Also...beans and pork.  Soak beans for 12 hours in water, riinse, throw in crock pot with a ham hock, turn on low for 24 and wait.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I make a mean chili in a crockpot.  The slow cooking really adds to it.  Just go online......there are a ton of slow cook recipies.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So I'm sitting there Christmas day and I'm opening presents. I save the biggest heaviest box for last of course. I open it up and what do i find?? A crockpot.

Well, now I have the damn thing and have no idea how to use it or what to put in it. I've heard you can make some GOOD stuff in these things but I need some help.

What do you guys cook in these things, how do you do it, how long do you do it for?

Thanks for the help!

Crockpot recipes

Stephs Crockpot recipes---main dishes

and

Rival crockpot's recipes
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
a crockpot desset that is easy and impresses  LOL
1 box cake mix (start with yellow, experiment later)
1 can cherry pie filling
2 tablespoons melted butter
nuts, if you desire

pour cake mix in crockpot, top with pie filling....drizzle butter over the top.  add nuts

turn to low for 2-3hrs

eat

can also be served ala mode

try using chocolate cake mix or white...with different pie fillinggs
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
  beef or pork roast  with just enough water to cover the meat .  cook on low for 8 to 10 hrs.  when done shred/pull meat and mix with your favorite bbq sauce.   Kind of simple but it makes for a fast,convienant dinner on a work night.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
get some chicken ( boneless skinless ) or boneless pork lion cut into chop size.

1 large family size can of creme of mushroom soup. ( follow directions for mixing)
1/2 a onion
salt  &  pepper to taste or lemon pepper

mix all the above, cook all day ( 8 ) hours on low....

fix noodles and mashed garlic potatoes  

ENJOY!

also works well with fresh quail an phesant breast!!

COLT!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm tagging this for sure.  I also got a crockpot for christmas, but I asked for it.  What could be better then throwing food in, setting on low, and going to work.  When you get home, you;ve got a good hot meal waiting.  It;s the single mans wife.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Possum Stew

Ingredients:
two cans of tomatoe sauce
three cans of cooked tomatoes
a big bag of pasta noodles
salt and pepper
1 possum
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a good way to eat cheaper cuts of meat.

I like to take a few onions, a shitload a paprika and a nice brisket, stuff it all in the crockpot with a little butter and a bit of water and wait 24 hours.

Nice eats to consume with a nice crusty bread.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I must be tired, I read: CRACKPOT RECIPES!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
chickenshit

3 chicken boobs--boneless skinless works best
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can cream of chicken
8oz sliced mushrooms
a lil sliced onion
garlic powder to taste

put chicken in crock; add mushrooms, onion, garlic powder; cover with soups mixed together

crock on low 5 hrs, hi 3 hrs

serve over noodle or rice
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Take 1 freshly roadkilled raccoon......

Oh, did you say CROCK pot recipes?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Almost nothing beats coming home from work to be greeted, even before
the family, by the smell of a pork roast that has been slow-cooking in the
crockpot since early morning.  Really gets the salivation going.  

DanM
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I just finished loading mine up with bite sized beef pieces, 1 can of whole kernal corn, about 2/3 of an onion sliced and cut in half and lots of bite sized potatoes pieces. I always cook the meat in a fry pan and brown it before it goes in the pot.

Will eat it tomorrow for lunch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
You can bake a turkey breast in one.  Takes about 6 hours.  Thawed turkey breast, salt, pepper, butter/margarine in it and on it.  Turn it on high until done.  As good as or better than in the oven.  We also bake sweet potatoes in it.  Wash potatoes.  Dry.  Put in.  Cook until soft (time depends upon how many/how big.  If you really want them to be good take them out of crock pot when soft and then put in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes to carmelize (sp?) the sugar.  We've baked meatloaf in ours.  It's good to simmer things like soup in.  Clam chowder is good in it, but it sticks pretty bad.  Beef roasts with lipton onion soup mix poured on top with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan is good.    

Back when my wife and I both worked (pre-kids) we used ours a lot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my favorites is 2 turkey thighs, 1 large can of golden mushroom soup/with milk, 1/2-1 cube butter. I put it in before I go to work. When I return, I make a pot of sticky rice.Damn good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Chicken.  I put it in with no water, either whole or in pieces, with garlic salt, poultry seasoning and pepper and let it cook from when I leave in the AM until dinner time, on LOW setting.  Simple as hell, the meat falls off the bones.  

I also cook chile and stew in it, but that is a longer story.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#19]
tag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Get the "Fix It and Forget It" cookbook. It's got *hundreds* of recipes (at least 3 per page) from real people who cook real food the way real people eat it. No fancy schmancy stuff. It's all from stuff you probably already have in your kitchen.

I don't know what I would have done with my crock pot without that book.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Plenty of recipes on the internet, as many people have posted before me. One thing I can add is if you choose to cook a single cut of meat like a roast or whole bird or something put it on TOP of the vegtables. Vegtables take longer to cook.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So I'm sitting there Christmas day and I'm opening presents.
I save the biggest heaviest box for last of course.
I open it up and what do i find??

A crockpot.

Merry Christmas!    

'Gotta love the the beef  roasts/stews.  Cover with water.  Throw in some veggies.  Cook about 8 hours.  Yummy.

Damn, wish she hadn't dropped and broken ours.      
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I put the xmas turkey skeleton and xtra meat in a freezer bag, probably make some soup this week
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#24]
You can use it for more than meat, soup, and chili which are the three things I make most often in mine.

This one is new for me, and damn if it's not tasty and healthy too.

1 cup steel cut oats
4 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 cups dried fruit of your choice.

Set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Italian Beef

take roast and cube it up, put in crock pot, add 1 packet dry italian dressing, add a little water, cook all day, pull or shred and serve on hoagie roll with swiss and banana peppers...yummers!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I cook a Corned Beef in it. Then when it's ready (fork tender, but not falling apart) I put the roast on the gas BBQ and brown/char it and slice it from there..OH MAN THAT'S GOOD!

I also make chili and all other types of stews and soups....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Beer roast...

1 roast
1 beer  
some veggies

cook overnight on low and enjoy for dinner the next night...and then lunch....and dinner....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#28]
btw...when using tomato products I cook on low to avoid burning. The newer crockpots cook at a higher heat than the original types. Skin chicken--or it will produce a flabby, greasy dish.

Simple Crockpot Chicken w/Salsa

Place in pot: 1 cut up chicken, or package parts,  *SKINNED* (do not use wings).

Pour over: 1 jar (about 16 oz-24 oz ) medium heat salsa-your choice, red or green

Cook on low 4-6 hours.  Don't overcook chicken breasts.

Serve with rice or noodles, etc. with pan juices.

Simple Chicken Cacciatore

Slice 2-3 stalks of celery with leaves, 1 onion and a carrot, place in bottom of pot.

Place 1 cut up *skinned* chicken or package of chicken parts over veggies

Pour over all 1 large (303 size) can of Italian seasoned canned tomatoes..

Cook 4-6 hours on low

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Im not a big fan of stuff out a crock pot, a few of these sound decent but I dont own one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:32:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I know more than one person who keeps an eternal stew going.  When it gets low they just tosses in some more veggies or meat.  Kind of like sourdough I suppose.  The pots look nasty.  They are bachelors that eat to live, not live to eat.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#32]
+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Not sure if it's been said yet, but take some venison roast and jalepenos and put it in the crock pot. Let that roast all day long until the roast is so tender that it falls apart. Shred it up, mixing it with the jalepenos, get yourself some nice homemade buns and you've got a great bbq sandwich!

The best thing is that you can keep the roast in there for several days. When you're hungry, just take the lid off, put it on a bun and enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Little involved (about 15-20 min prep)

Brautwurst and Sauerkraut

1lb Sauerkraut
pkg of 6 brauts
2 apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
3/4 cup applejuice

Put 1/2 lb kraut in bottom of pot
brown braut links in pan
core and chunk apples & place on top of kraut
put in pot this order- brown sugar, salt, pepper and caraway seeds
put  brauts on top, then top with remaining kraut
pour applejuice over top.

Do not stir.

Turn on low for 6-7 hrs.

Like to put honey mustard on the brautlinks when serving up.

Real quick recipe (5 min prep)

Chinese-style Country Ribs

3-4 lbs small beef ribs
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/2 teaspoon diced garlic
2 tablespoons ketchup.

Mix soy sauce, marmalade, garlic, ketchup.
Stir.

Cut ribs into 2-3 rib chunks.
Dip rib chunks (both sides) in sauce and place in pot.
Pour remaining sauce over ribs.
Slow cook 8-9 hrs.

Link Posted: 1/25/2005 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, I'm gonna give it a go. Some great recipes on here for sure, i've written a few down.

Gonna try a corned beef with some cabbage in there too. Fill up with water to just the top of the meat and cook for 4 hours. Sound like it will work?  

I've heard you can't screw these things up but...

Now i just need to go pick up some Bud.
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Just did some chili the other day.
Thumbs up, for everyone in the house.

Upcoming
St Patrics Day
Corned beef and cabbage
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just did some chili the other day.
Thumbs up, for everyone in the house.

Upcoming
St Patrics Day
Corned beef and cabbage

AZ-gunner

How do you do your corned beef?
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#39]
I cheat. I buy the one that comes with a seasoning packet.
I put the corned beef, seasonig, peeled potatoes, carrots in the pot. Add water, so it's about
1-1.5" above the food.
Set on slow cook, and go to work.
Come home, put it on high. Add cabbage and cook until cabbage is preferred texture.
Serve and eat.
I know it's not autherntic. However, it's better than some of the stuff I've had, while out celebrating St Patty's Day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
a crockpot desset that is easy and impresses  LOL
1 box cake mix (start with yellow, experiment later)
1 can cherry pie filling
2 tablespoons melted butter
nuts, if you desire
pour cake mix in crockpot, top with pie filling....drizzle butter over the top.  add nuts

I tried this one and it was no good.  SOme of the cake mix stayed as powder.  Also a little too much sugar because of the cake mix.

On the other hand I made a mean pot of Baked Beans in the crockpot during the snowstorm last weekend.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Crockpots are the best for consistently easy and good venison. In fact, most people won't be able to tell the difference between the venison and beef pot roast.

4 cups water
4 packets Lipton onion soup
Stir
add the venison roast

Turn on "HI" and go to work

come home and it's ready to go. Bachelor easy and foolproof.

Spice it up by adding your favorite spices and veggies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I use one regularly and could write a small book.

Here's one of our household staple dinners in (2) variations that we eat at least once a week

(1) lbs Cubed Stew Meat , beef
(1) Can Cr. of Mushroom Soup, cond
(1) Can Campbells Golden Mushroom
(1) Can Campbells Beef Consumme
(1) can mushrooms, sliced
salt/pepper 2 taste

Add all ingredients at once to the Crock Pot and cook on High for 5 hours or on Low for 8-9 hours.
Serve over rice.

Variation 2:
Add a small or large tub of Sour Cream to the mixture during last 10 minutes of cooking and then
Serve over No Yolks Noodles or Egg Noodles
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Just watch the water part.

I never add water to meats because you wind up with boiled meat. If you do a roast, put the vegis on the bottom, the roast on top. At the end of the day, you'll have enough liquid to nearly cover the roast. Drain that off and make your gravy from it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Yall finally got me pegged, I got mine as a wedding present.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top