Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 1:44:04 AM EDT
One of the local Houston TV stations did a report on the "average" police response time for priority one "life and property in danger" calls. It's quite enlightening. There is a link towards the bottom
of the story that accesses police response times in different Houston neighborhoods (you need to know what "beat" you are on). It's a series of .pdf files, so you'll also need Adobe Acrobat reader.

Link here:
Local 2 Houston

They break it down, priority 1 call to priority 6 call.

Priority 1: Life-threatening situation is occurring
Priority 2: Life-threatening situation has just occurred, or property-threatening situation in progress
Priority 3: Delayed reports of crime-serious
Priority 4: Delayed report of crime-non serious
Priority 5: Report calls with no evidence (follow-up investigation)
Priority 6: Officer "on-views" crime

Worst average I SAW was : 39.2 minutes. BUT the worst PRIORITY 1 call was: (and this is SICK, IMO) 10.3 minutes

NOW, what you folks (TX folk), (IMO) need to do is BEAT this info 1/2 to death, with regard to "see? Relying on the police to "help" IS a good option, ASSUMING you think you can keep a criminal "otherwise occupied" for 10 minutes or so. Otherwise, rely on your SELF with a FIREARM to "discorage" criminals from preying upon you!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My place is 4.5 for P1 calls.

I wonder if that is measured from when they pick up the phone?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell, it takes over half an hour to get through to a 911 operator around here, I'm not kidding. I don't bother with 911 any more.

CW
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
One night in Fort Worth, we called about someone busting up our car at 11 pm. Officer shows up at 5 am.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One night in Fort Worth, we called about someone busting up our car at 11 pm. Officer shows up at 5 am.

Yep, one of those: "Call 911 and die" type deals
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]
About a year ago I had my next door neighbors in my apartment complex get tied up in an invasion robbery by three scumbags.  Woman was able to untie herself after they left and come to my place to call the popo.  "Help!  We've been robbed at gunpoint!"

The police showed up 35 minutes later.

Dial 911 my ass.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have called 911 in Austin while watching an asualt in progress (do not think it was a life treatening assualt, but the lady begged me to call and the man was definately violent and pushing her arround.  Took about 2 minutes to explain to dispatch what was going on, but in the next 3 minutes 5 squad cars showed up.

He resisted, one cop filmed while the others took him down.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
About a year ago I had my next door neighbors in my apartment complex get tied up in an invasion robbery by three scumbags.  Woman was able to untie herself after they left and come to my place to call the popo.  "Help!  We've been robbed at gunpoint!"

The police showed up 35 minutes later.

Dial 911 my ass.  

Had to finish their coffee and doughnuts first. I was riding down the street a couple of years ago and this cop went by with lights flashing. A block ahead, he pulled into Krispy Kreme doughnuts and went through the drive in.

CMOS

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Makes me feel a little better that we have Nazi's in our city.
Very simply put : Don't Fuck Around
The LEO's around here on top of their shiite
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah we'll I'd like to see just how they make their stats.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
This is one of the reasons we are heavily armed here in Texas.
Call 911, wait, hope etc.
Protecting yourself is an art form here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1  No offense to the boys in blue, but a double-tap will always be quicker.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have called 911 in Austin while watching an asualt in progress (do not think it was a life treatening assualt, but the lady begged me to call and the man was definately violent and pushing her arround.  Took about 2 minutes to explain to dispatch what was going on, but in the next 3 minutes 5 squad cars showed up.

He resisted, one cop filmed while the others took him down.

That's good, but you pay for it in other ways.  We're REALLY shorthanded, and essentially go from one priority call to another.    It's not unusual to see non-priority calls (old car burglaries for example) with a 4-6 hour wait.

On weekends, such calls as yours will find NO officers available.   We then have to pull officers from other sectors routinely.

Then people bitch about officers speeding.  Heck,  he's probably leaving North Austin for a priority call in South Austin.  (20 miles).
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Isn't Houston short a bunch of officers? I know they have come to Alabama many times trying to recruit officers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  No offense to the boys in blue, but a double-tap will always be quicker.

There's a shortage of officers in Houston, although I see a ton of em at McDonalds and Starbucks....
Ya gotta be able to protect yourself here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No doubt. BUT, IMO, it's similar most places.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There's a shortage of officers in Houston, although I see a ton of em at McDonalds and Starbucks....

Do you ever eat and or drink coffee or are you some type of robot?
I hate it when people talk about seeing cops eating lunch or dinner.  Do you work 10 or 12 hours and never stop to even get a cup of coffee?  Cops are human and still need to eat and drink once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate it when people talk about seeing cops eating lunch or dinner.  Do you work 10 or 12 hours and never stop to even get a cup of coffee?  Cops are human and still need to eat and drink once in a while.

He's disgruntled...he's always got bad things to say about cops.  

I call BS on these stats.  I hear code ones drop on my air and HPD air and they always have people there alot quicker than 10 minutes.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#19]
hpd won't show up to my house, when I call them back they say that an Officer had come by and there was no answer, and this while I had a guy at gun point in my yard for two hours...they never came. There are too many times to list them all, I'm on my own here. Four nights ago there was a long running shoot out across the street in from my Town home, there was a guy with maybe a  40, or 357 sig aginst a guy with what sounded like a 380, anyway the cops never came even though I was not the only one who called 911 after the 20th shot rang out, the shoot out lasted over half an hour, HPD SUCKS
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Never had a problem with HPD's response times.  For the most part, they're damn good cops and guys.

HH
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#21]
you now it is bad when H.P.D. has to hunt down and wait for back-up for their own officers! but of course this has nothing to do with all the city jailers being laid off and moving H.P.D. officers in do to their job. between the loss of city jailers and higher than normal officers retiring, Houston is running low on police officers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
hpd won't show up to my house, when I call them back they say that an Officer had come by and there was no answer, and this while I had a guy at gun point in my yard for two hours...they never came. There are too many times to list them all, I'm on my own here. Four nights ago there was a long running shoot out across the street in from my Town home, there was a guy with maybe a  40, or 357 sig aginst a guy with what sounded like a 380, anyway the cops never came even though I was not the only one who called 911 after the 20th shot rang out, the shoot out lasted over half an hour, HPD SUCKS

Wow...you must be pretty darn good to be able to tell what kind of caliber the shots are while a gun battle is going on for 30 minutes.  Unless someone really dropped the ball I have a hard time believing that a gun battle can happen for more than 30 minutes and the cops never come.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I can't count how many family businesses have a "we don't dial 911, we dial Smith and Wesson" signs on the front door in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That's good, but you pay for it in other ways.  We're REALLY shorthanded, and essentially go from one priority call to another.    It's not unusual to see non-priority calls (old car burglaries for example) with a 4-6 hour wait.

On weekends, such calls as yours will find NO officers available.   We then have to pull officers from other sectors routinely.

Then people bitch about officers speeding.  Heck,  he's probably leaving North Austin for a priority call in South Austin.  (20 miles).

So, I didn't look closely... what's up w/the shortage? Is it a "funding" issue, like in Cleveland (OH) or poor planning, mass exodus? What?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, they're not robots. But there IS a "shortage" of officers... that's what the article was about. (And how that was affecting "response time".
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hell, it takes over half an hour to get through to a 911 operator around here, I'm not kidding. I don't bother with 911 any more.

CW

Thats because of 85 year old ladys calling 911 20 times with no real complaint, and then they get arrested. (Saw it in another thread)
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow...you must be pretty darn good to be able to tell what kind of caliber the shots are while a gun battle is going on for 30 minutes.  Unless someone really dropped the ball I have a hard time believing that a gun battle can happen for more than 30 minutes and the cops never come.  

yea I can tell by how they sound(close anyway), and yea they didn't come and the last shot rang out about 30min after it started, and I don't care whether you believe it or not and don't be a smart ass to me buddy, I show up to the Tx events too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#27]
There was a report done this past spring where the OPD gave average P-1 response times. The times looked good overall.
Then an officer that was the local union leader came out and said that those times are not a real measure of  response times. P-1 calls require 2 cars before they will roll up on scene. The suits would log time when the first car would call in on location (holding back a block or so) and waiting for the second car to get there. Not when they were actually on location. Those times according to him were quite a bit longer.
If I remember correctly the whistle blower got into a bit of trouble over that statement.

edit spelling.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try living in LA.

CW
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There was a report done this past spring where the OPD gave average P-1 response times. The times looked good overall.
Then an officer that was the local union leader came out and said that those times are not a real measure of  response times. P-1 calls require 2 cars before they will roll up on scene. The suits would log time when the first car would call in on location (holding back a block or so) and waiting for the second car to get there. Not when they were actually on location. Those times according to him were quite a bit longer.
If I remember correctly the whistle blower got into a bit of trouble over that statement.

edit spelling.

Yeah, THAT sounds a bit more like "reality", to me. NOT looking to LEO-bash, just like to deal in "reality".
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#30]
IRONY=the same dip-shit liberal police chief/executive who will tout those figures as acceptable given "current budget constraints" would tell all who listen that the average joe blows should not have guns for self protection!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top