BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Also I would want the Jedi Starfighter from RotS
images.tfaw.com/coversp/A/APR054010I.jpg

Conceivably, the Jedi fighter is a predecessor to the Tie fighters.  I haven't read the books or anything, but I imagine Vader designing improved fighters based on the Jedi design after the rise of the Empire.  Just my inner dork thinking.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Conceivably, the Jedi fighter is a predecessor to the Tie fighters.  I haven't read the books or anything, but I imagine Vader designing improved fighters based on the Jedi design after the rise of the Empire.  Just my inner dork thinking.  

Indeed Darth Vader did design the TIE advanced fighter that he flew in Star Wars (A New Hope).
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
B-Wings Biggest engine, toughest shields, Lasers, Ion blasters, photon torpedoes, and concussion missile launchers. One can kill a capital ship all by itself if you know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My vote goes for the VF-1S Valkrie Veritech Fighter.

Who needs all that other crap when you have an F-14 that can fly through space, has a bigger gun than the A-10 Warthog, lasers, missile hardpoints, detachable accessories such as armor packs, booster engines, added weaponry, etc., can fly through an atmosphere or outer space, uses a fusion engine instead of jet fuel, and turns into a giant frickin' robot?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
[triumph]you are virgins living in mom's basement[/triumph]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[triumph]your are virgins living in mom's basement[/triumph]

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who can forget Flesh Gordon's ride?

Dam.  You beat me to it.    

Flesh Gordon's phallic spaceship.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Not technically a fighter, but a kick-ass machine in it's later incarnation.  
Independance  War is (or was) da bomb.

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Either the GTF Hercules Mark II from Freespace 2 or the Valkyrie 2/ SAP from Macross II.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#11]
lmao wow we are really getting into this
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed Darth Vader did design the TIE advanced fighter that he flew in Star Wars (A New Hope).

I love those details.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
'talyn' from farscape.

Peacekeeper Prowlers are pretty badass, as far as it goes.

Nick

Yep Taylon was an Awesome Fighter/Gunship...He could destroy planets
Now that's Firepower
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Any Farscape fans here? No one has mentioned the Peacekeepers Prowlers
I voted but not sure I did it right.  I know...stupid noobie
Please dont send me to the Pit

That was totally my thought as well.  It has a real predatory look to it - that just screams "fighter"
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
B-Wing

The A-10 of the Star Wars galaxy.

Wouldn't the A10 of the galaxy be those armored speeders they used in Empire Strikes Back?

Nah, that A10 of the Star Wars galaxy is the Y-Wing.
The B-Wing is the Super Hornet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My vote goes for the Delta Flyer -

memory-alpha.org/en/images/5/52/Delta_Flyer.jpg

The Delta Flyer was a high-speed "hot rod" as Tuvok put it during the design phase.   (The Great Race episode was cool.)  I don't think I'd call it a fighter although it was the closest thing they had.

Likewise the 'Drop Ship' from Aliens was an attack platform, not a fighter.  It was still a badass craft though...

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I like the X-Wing because it looks beat up and real.

The new Vipers because they do space flight right.

I wonder if Earth will ever field space fighters.

Killer sattelites is probably the closest we'll ever come, or need to. As far as fighting in space anyhow. Now earth based fighters breaking into orbit to hit targets on the far side of the planet...
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Star Trek has nice capitol ships, but totally suck in the fighter department with the exception of the small Federation fighters seen breifly in DS9, those rock

-Storm

Its the way they imagined the technology.  Their phasers and targeting computers (unlike Turbolasers) track small craft very easily.  The fighters in DS9 were more out of desparation than anything else.  It appears that the Jem-Hadar attack fighter, Defiant, and Bird of Prey are about as small as you can go in the Star Trek universe.  

Except of course when they want to make it dramatic and have a runabout take 50 shots from a Warbird.  

I hate the fighters in Star Trek. ST started out okay with the capitol ships duking it out. It really got around the typically physics issues by having the ships relatively static. But then they tried to appeal to the audience and provide action sequences and got all starfightery. Adding the Defiant to DS9 do deal with the problems of a series based on a space station. The joy stick that popped up on the Enterprise, and Riker had to stand. Who the hell came up with that. "Lets see, Riker is sitting in the chair, and he wants to fly the enterprise, so we'll have him stand up and grab a joystick." Who in their right mind thinks that's a good idea?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My Votes:

Imperial Advanced Missile Boat
TIE Defender
TIE Advanced

The Missile Boat needs an ion cannon, I'd rather have a Gun Boat.
I hate dogfighting with rockets. I know you have a huge magazine, but it seems like overkill.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
'talyn' from farscape.

Peacekeeper Prowlers are pretty badass, as far as it goes.

Nick

I was going to list prowlers, but they are the kind of thing where you need a group of themto be effective.

Talyn could kick the crap out of stuff all by himself. And later, D'argo's ship was turning out to be pretty powerful.

Too bad the idiots at scifi canceled the show before they could fully develop what that ship could do.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My votes go to the StarFox ArWing.
That fighter is up there in the tear of my dream fighter (though it defies numerous laws of physics).

My second Vote goes with the A-Wing.
Fast, manourvable, sleek and stylish.

The A-Wing was basically designed as a high speed attack craft.  To my knowledge theTie fighters were faster than the X-wing but the X-Wing was more balanced with weapons, shields and speed, the thing was also a bit bulky.  The X-wing could go up with with a star destroyer mainly because of the photon torpedoes, and a good shot to the bridge.

The A-Wing was more of a fighter to fighter craft.
you could 'thread the needle' (what I call fast attack to confuse) with the A-wing easiler than the X-Wing.  

The X-wing is my third vote.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Who needs all that other crap when you have an F-14 that can fly through space, has a bigger gun than the A-10 Warthog, lasers, missile hardpoints, detachable accessories such as armor packs, booster engines, added weaponry, etc., can fly through an atmosphere or outer space, uses a fusion engine instead of jet fuel, and turns into a giant frickin' robot?

That's "a giant frickin' robot with lasers on it's head"
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Coolest...ship...ever...

Only in the Xwing vs. Tie Fighter video games do you really have a chance in a fighter attacking a capital ship by yourself. They had to change the power levels of the fighters to make them superior so it would be a fun game to play. I mean, taking on a star destroyer all by yourself in a y-wing sure makes you feel like the best pilot in the world. But in truth, they made the starships shields and weapons far weaker than they should have been and the number of turbolasers was too small. Unless you are Luke Skywalker, going up against a Star Destroyer in an x-wing all alone would be sheer suicide. Also, it is not true that the big globes on top of the ISD are shield generators, but are actually sensor globes. The video games and a book or two got it wrong in that part. Many other official sources state that they are indeed sensor globes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Also, it is not true that the big globes on top of the ISD are shield generators, but are actually sensor globes. The video games and a book or two got it wrong in that part. Many other official sources state that they are indeed sensor globes.

there was a sequence in return of the jedi that certainly implied that the globes were tied to the shields.  Then again, there are many ships with shields that do not have globes.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Jedi Starfighter
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Delta Flyer was a high-speed "hot rod" as Tuvok put it during the design phase.   (The Great Race episode was cool.)  I don't think I'd call it a fighter although it was the closest thing they had.

Likewise the 'Drop Ship' from Aliens was an attack platform, not a fighter.  It was still a badass craft though...

True.  Even better than that would be the USS Promethius -

Multi-Vector Assault mode rules!
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#27]

The Delta flyer was a nice lookin Star Trek fighter, since it was a fairly capable shuttle craft.  However, only one was made....

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, it is not true that the big globes on top of the ISD are shield generators, but are actually sensor globes. The video games and a book or two got it wrong in that part. Many other official sources state that they are indeed sensor globes.

there was a sequence in return of the jedi that certainly implied that the globes were tied to the shields.  Then again, there are many ships with shields that do not have globes.

That is a very interesting segment when fighters blow up one of the scanner globes on the Executor. Right after that, one of the officers state that the bridge shields are down. This is one of the examples many make for the globes being shield generators. However, remember than at this point most of the rebel fleet was ganging up on the Executor and it has taken heavy fire. The shields were in a weakened state and the act of blowing up a major system like a scanner globe could cause a power surge or spike that may have knocked the generators offline, accounting for the bridge shield failure. It would seem like a very stupid idea to place something critical like a shield generator in a easy to hit target. The globes are in a perfect location for a sensor however, as they have a unobstructed field of view for long range targets and the geodesic shape is very similar to the globes on some radar systems.

What is also interesting, is that if this battle had taken place in a region of deep space, destroying the bridge would only disable the starship for only a few moments while backup command centers take over. It was only the proximity to a large gravity source that drew in the ship while it was out of control that caused its destruction. The A-wing crashing into the bridge would have hardly been a fatal hit in most cases. Just like in Episode V, when a star destroyer got hit in the command tower by a big asteroid, and the tower was obliterated. The remaining hull was able to continue on after damage control took over and the ship was able to make it all the way back to a port for repair.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Y-wing or Cylon Raider... memories of 6th grade art projects...

Although that one F-14 looking craft was pretty cool, I never could get into the "Plane-that-becomes-becomes-a-robot-then-turns-into-a-toaster-microwave-or-self-cleaning-litterbox" concept.

Battlemechs and such are neat ideas, but a VW Jetta that turns onto a spaceship is a little too far out, even for the Uber-geek realm we're creating now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
A-wing.  Fast, good shields, and did I mention fast?

+1
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The Delta flyer was a nice lookin Star Trek fighter, since it was a fairly capable shuttle craft.  However, only one was made....

Two

memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Delta_Flyer_II
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Holy crap I totally forgot about that one!

-Storm
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#33]
damn gooch you know your shit.  i'd have to watch RotS again because i rmemeber seeing some really really cool stuff in that one; especially seeing the progression from the ship kenobi flew in AotC through the ships in RotS and finally the tie fighters.  I voted for the X-wing but the rest of the thread got me thinking...

Oh yeah and B-wing is one of the slowest ships in the X-wing series of pc games.  i'll take the A-10 reference but the X-wing is definitely the F-15 of the... past.  I want to own an A-Wing in real life.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Another vote for the "UFO Interceptor" from the Gerry Anderson TV show.  I guarantee you that no other space fighter EVER had a bigger or badder weapon that that huge, bulbous nuclear missile tacked onto the front of that puppy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#35]
TheCynic and Redhorse have it right. The Hammerhead from Space: Above and Beyond was a great ship.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#36]

True.  Even better than that would be the USS Promethius -

Hmmm.  I think in I-War vs. Trek, I-War wins.  While the Promethius is engaged in one of its ponderous aircraft-type turns and showing it's ass, the I-Wars frigate is obeying the laws of physics, able to keep it's business end pointed at the Trekkie, supplying generous amounts of anti-matter, plasmas, lasers, chaff, projectiles and missiles.  

Anyway, I-War in arcade mode is a great space-shooter.  In real-physics (at least by our standards today) it's a cool way to get blown away.

Matthew    
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Species 8472's Bioships were pretty awesome too.  A group of them to annihilate a planet....

Cant find any good pics of em though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Nell from "Battle Beyond the Stars"

GOOD LORD!!  It is a uterus with breasts!!!  GAH!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#39]
How about Red Dwarf
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Just as a side note, if any of you are more interested in further technical information about Star Wars, there is a good site that has a ton of information. As a warning, only the most nerdy arfcom members should visit!

Star Wars techincal commentaries

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nell from "Battle Beyond the Stars"

www.badmovies.org/movies/battlebeyond/battlebeyond1.jpg

GOOD LORD!!  It is a uterus with breasts!!!  GAH!!!!!

What have the nerds been up to?1?!11

Link Posted: 6/9/2005 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
What is also interesting, is that if this battle had taken place in a region of deep space, destroying the bridge would only disable the starship for only a few moments while backup command centers take over. It was only the proximity to a large gravity source that drew in the ship while it was out of control that caused its destruction. The A-wing crashing into the bridge would have hardly been a fatal hit in most cases. Just like in Episode V, when a star destroyer got hit in the command tower by a big asteroid, and the tower was obliterated. The remaining hull was able to continue on after damage control took over and the ship was able to make it all the way back to a port for repair.

Not quite. That was another technical goof. Spaceflight in Star Wars is really bad wrong. That A-Wing would've been the equivelent of a bug hitting your windshield. Whatever happened in the ship, the ships own thrusters would've been the culprit, not gravity. They were in an established orbit. They should've continued in that orbit. That ship turned 90 degrees after being hit, only it's own thrusters could've done that.
But it doesn't matter. Star Wars is Fantasy, not Sci-Fi, so we'll let it slide.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Not quite. That was another technical goof. Spaceflight in Star Wars is really bad wrong. That A-Wing would've been the equivelent of a bug hitting your windshield. Whatever happened in the ship, the ships own thrusters would've been the culprit, not gravity. They were in an established orbit. They should've continued in that orbit. That ship turned 90 degrees after being hit, only it's own thrusters could've done that.

You might be correct, but it is uncertain if the plunge of the Executor was due to engine misfires, or that its gravity repulsors lost control and were unable to resist the gravitational drag placed upon it by the Death Star, which happens to contain some very dense and exotic matter to power its reactor, explaining its unusually high gravitiational drag. It is not clear if the star ships were really ever in a true orbit of Endor as they appear to be artificially holding positon relative to the moon with their engines/repulsorlifts. It is know that the Death Star was being held up by massive repulsorlifts to help keep it in position over the shield generator complex.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It is know that the Death Star was being held up by massive repulsorlifts to help keep it in position over the shield generator complex.

Wouldn't it have been MUCH easier and use much less energy to put it in a geostationary orbit?
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might be correct, but it is uncertain if the plunge of the Executor was due to engine misfires, or that its gravity repulsors lost control and were unable to resist the gravitational drag placed upon it by the Death Star, which happens to contain some very dense and exotic matter to power its reactor, explaining its unusually high gravitiational drag. It is not clear if the star ships were really ever in a true orbit of Endor as they appear to be artificially holding positon relative to the moon with their engines/repulsorlifts. It is know that the Death Star was being held up by massive repulsorlifts to help keep it in position over the shield generator complex.

and the borg would assimilate them all, so HA!
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

img110.echo.cx/img110/2351/poster2ez.th.jpg

img110.echo.cx/img110/6294/mec5283731et.gif

img110.echo.cx/img110/5797/mec532298xg.gif

img110.echo.cx/img110/739/mec5177551qg.gif

img110.echo.cx/img110/8251/vs1sc4sz.th.jpg

img110.echo.cx/img110/8146/vf1sb0xj.th.jpg

img110.echo.cx/img110/821/vf1sa5pm.th.jpg

img110.echo.cx/img110/1079/vf1sbattroid6tp.jpg

The Macross Valkyries ARE the space combat dream machine- but unfortunately even with fusion power and removing the need for volitile fuel (they do carry some reaction mass-hydrogen, water, compressed air something like that) their transformation sequence is STILL impossible. Alas.  I seriously doubt we will ever have actuators that small and that powerful to fit in that kind of space and yet work in gravity and atmosphere.

Shoji Kawamori, the director and the origninal mechanical designer for Macross had such obsession to detail though that the impossible Valkyries actually LOOK more realistic than the technically acheveable Gundam Mobile Suits- in large part due to the Gundam world mechs child friendly box o Crayola color schemes and silly antenna.

The best SciFi space craft are the Babylon 5 Star Fury, and the Gundam RX-78GP01Fb from the Gundam 0083 OAV.  And even though I hate the series as a whole, and most of the other mecha designs are silly, the Leo Space Type from Gundam Wing is not bad either...

It would be interesting to see the two go head to head.  The Star Fury is so simple as to make you go "Damn why the hell have they not built that yet".  And its tiny.  Mobile Suits are as far to the opposite as you can get as far as size and complexity.  But that complexity allows them to be both fighters in free space and to be able to land on and occupy space objects themselves without having to wait for specialized landing craft to deliver the Marines.  And their ability to shoot off boresight using their arms and hands to aim weapons is quite useful too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is know that the Death Star was being held up by massive repulsorlifts to help keep it in position over the shield generator complex.

Wouldn't it have been MUCH easier and use much less energy to put it in a geostationary orbit?

I thought it WAS in geostationary orbit, its how it looked in the hologram showing it that they they played in the breifing scene.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it WAS in geostationary orbit, its how it looked in the hologram showing it that they they played in the breifing scene.

The Death Star is far too close to the planet/moon for being so large without using some sort of technology to asist it to stay up. Remember, in SW, power genration is very easy and ample, it would not be that big of an issue to hold it up like it is withe their power technology.

Here is a quote from the SWTC about the DS2 in orbit over Endor.
www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

Therefore an object moving at the altitude of the Death Star II and which also has a period slow enough to be synchronised with the moon's rotation cannot be in a free natural orbit. In other words, the battle station was moving around the moon too slowly and with insufficient energy to stay up by itself. It needs supplementary support against gravity or else it will literally fall from the sky. The Death Star II therefore possessed an artificial support mechanism.

This mechanism could not have been the simple kinetic action of the station's sublight thrusters, since they would lead to either an increased orbital distance or increased rate of orbital revolution. Even in the last few minutes of the station's existence, it would have visibly moved away from its position above the location of the rebel strike team. As seen by the rebels, it would have moved close to or over the horizon. (Moving to the horizon would involve only about a tenth of a free orbit. A free orbit at that altitude is only a couple of hours long; hence only about a dozen minutes are needed to reach the horizon.)

The support was most likely provided by a large-scale repulsor field projected along with the security shield, generated at the surface facility. Alternatively, repulsors may have been mounted within the shell of the station itself. This seems most likely, since the station did not immediately fall out of the sky after the ground facility was obliterated.

In any case, the repulsors were destroyed either when the shield facility was demolished or when the station itself exploded. The artificial orbital equilibrium was broken and the remains of the Death Star II would drop into moon's atmosphere within only a few minutes, even if it were not already exploding in all directions (including the direction towards the moon).

Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
[The Death Star is far too close to the planet/moon for being so large without using some sort of technology to asist it to stay up.... Therefore an object moving at the altitude of the Death Star II and which also has a period slow enough to be synchronised with the moon's rotation cannot be in a free natural orbit.

I want to know HOW they know the mass of the Death Star, the Mass of the Moon, the DS's altitude and orbital speed.

For Earth it would have been too low & slow - but another planet?  No where NEAR enough information to make that determination.

Cheap energy? On a scale that large?  Even Star Trek doesn't try to make that kind of claim (and their tech is MUCH cooler/more advanced).

I'm agreeing with the other post much more 'fantasy' than sci-fi.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[The Death Star is far too close to the planet/moon for being so large without using some sort of technology to asist it to stay up.... Therefore an object moving at the altitude of the Death Star II and which also has a period slow enough to be synchronised with the moon's rotation cannot be in a free natural orbit.

I want to know HOW they know the mass of the Death Star, the Mass of the Moon, the DS's altitude and orbital speed.

For Earth it would have been too low & slow - but another planet?  No where NEAR enough information to make that determination.

Cheap energy? On a scale that large?  Even Star Trek doesn't try to make that kind of claim (and their tech is MUCH cooler/more advanced).

I'm agreeing with the other post much more 'fantasy' than sci-fi.

If you read some of the articles on the site, they are very long, you can find out how he makes many of his assumptions. Granted, thats all they are, but he has put a TON of time and work into it.

As far as the size, altitude of orbit, and so forth, he draws conclusions from the many scenes in the movies and novel sources. For one, we observed the death star in a scene from the ground. With math, we can use the angle of the sky the DS takes up to determine altitude as we know the diameter of the DS is about 900km. The size of Endor is thought to be very close to Earth or Mars based on the fact it has a breathable O2 atmosphere, and an Ewok can fly a simple glider so that gives us an idea about how thick the air is. He estimates it to be about 5200km in dia.

Another good tidbitwww.theforce.net/swtc/ds/

astrophysical considerations [DS2]
More useful size comparisons can be made between the Endor Moon and the Death Star in its orbit. Measurements of the Mon Calamari tactical holographic displays of the system and actual photographs of the two globes consistently give a diameter for the moon which is 11.5 ± 0.1 times that of the Death Star. The absolute size of the moon remains to be determined.

The Endor Moon must be of a size which is approximately equal to that of the Earth (which has a radius of 6378 km). If it were very much smaller then it would not have enough gravity to hold an atmosphere thick enough for human comfort, let alone thick enough to allow Ewok glider craft to fly. The fact that the cumbersome-looking gliders do work at least as well as a (terrestrial) parachute whilst having only a fraction of the surface area suggests that Endorian gravity is somewhat lower than on a standard human world. Otherwise (or additionally) the air pressure may be exceptionally high (though this would tend to imply a world larger than Earth).

The two main factors determining a world's surface gravity are its composition and its total mass. The least dense solids available to compose a planet are icy compounds, composed of the lightest chemical elements; they may have densities around 1 g / cm³. However the habitable temperature of the Santuary Moon means that cannot be made of ices (such a moon would have evaporated aeons ago). Silicates (rocky solids) typically have densities of 1½ - 3 g / cm³. Metals like iron and nickel have densities around 6 g / cm³, and they are the most stable and favoured end-products of the nuclear reactions occurring in multiple generations of stars (which provide the raw materials forming new planets). Heavier chemical elements, like uranium, are disfavoured in stellar nucleosynthesis. They are now, and always will remain, only a tiny fraction of the mass of the universe. Though their densities may range between 10 and 20 g / cm³, their cosmic rarity means that they can only comprise a negligible fraction of the mass of a natural planet or moon. The smallest celestial objects have average densities comparable to the intrinsic densities of their constituents, but more massive planets are slightly compressed under their own weight. Self-gravity has compressed the Earth to a mean density of about 5.5 g / cm³. A smaller world like Mars (3397 km radius, 3.9 g / cm³ density) is less self-compressed; and a larger terrestrial planet would be slightly more compressed than Earth.

The Endor moon needs to have a surface gravity strong enough for humans to move in comfort, and an escape velocity comparable to Earth's in order to retain a breathable atmosphere [for detailed discussion, see Planets: Habitability]. The two extremes of viable solutions are:

a low-density planet composed entirely of the lightest silicates with an extreme povery of metals, but with a radius substantially greater than Earth; or
a globe with approximately Earth-like composition but a slightly smaller radius.
In the latter case, the Endor moon would be intermediate between Earth and Mars, but closest to the size of Earth. Assuming a bulk composition consistent with known terrestrial planets and a best estimate of 2/3 terrestrial surface gravity, the sanctuary moon's average density would be about 4 - 5 g / cm³ implying a radius of roughly 5200 km (80% that of Earth). This is a very approximate value and might vary by hundreds of kilometres depending on the weighting of the particular assumptions. However this value serves as a strongly indicative lower limit because a light-element composition would imply a greater global radius, and a heavy-element composition is astronomically unattainable (and couldn't shrink the diameter by much better than half). The moon's radius could not conceivably be less than about four-thousand kilometres.

If there is nothing abnormal and artificial about the moon's compostion then the diameter of the Death Star II is scaled to approximately

D = 900 ± 60 km .
This is very much greater than the unsupported estimates that appear most often in the literature (contrived by West End Games and duplicated uncritically in later references). The Death Star Technical Companion and The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook claim that the diameters of the first and second Death Stars were only 120km and 160km respectively. If the Death Star II were this tiny then the sanctuary moon would scale down to be barely larger than half the diameter Earth's moon and it then could not possibly hold a life-sustaining atmosphere. The 160km scaling of DS2 is untenable. Q.E.D.

The constraints of planetary physics require than the Endor Moon be much larger than Earth's moon and close to the size of Earth itself. Because of its fixed relative scale, the Death Star II must have a diameter greater than about 900km

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top