Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2005 7:56:10 AM EDT
www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

thought I would just post this since the last one was clearly a husky of some type.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Pitbulls are kind of like assault rifles sometimes. If a pitbull bites or kills someone, it's in every paper and on every newscast in the nation. If it's another breed, it will only get a passing mention.

If an assault weapon is used in a crime, boy, that will be the first detail they give you. But if it was a knife, seems there's little interest in the weapon.

To the uninformed, pitbulls and military style rifles are scary. And the media is largely to blame.

I have been around no less than 30 pitbulls in my lifetime and all were the biggest babies I ever saw. None of those dogs ever exhibited any aggressive behavior. That's because they were properly bred, trained and cared for by the owners.

On the other hand, the only dog that ever tried to bite me was a beagle!

Any weapon can kill. Any dog can and has killed. But to take one type, brand it as evil and keep pumping that out when it's often not the case pisses me off. With either, it is more about what you do with it than it is about the gun or the dog. But since pitbulls and AK's look scary, the same ol' bullshit will continue.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
petey the dog on the little rascals=pitbull
rca dog=pitbull
#1family pet in the 1st half of 20th century=pitbull

they are NOT the monsters people think they are.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
IBTPH (In before the Pit Haters)

Rottweiler owner (both rescues), here.  The local rescue has placed over 3000 Rotts over the past 13 years...with zero human bite incidences recorded.  Funny thing is, we don't have a local PitBull rescue, so we place them too.  Guess what?

ZERO HUMAN BITE INCIDENCES RECORDED.

But they're all evil, mean, child eating, monsters right?

Thanks for the link, Luxan.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh stop it.  We all know that ONLY pit bulls attack people.

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Rottweiler owner (both rescues), here.  The local rescue has placed over 3000 Rotts over the past 13 years...with zero human bite incidences recorded.  Funny thing is, we don't have a local PitBull rescue, so we place them too.  Guess what?

anytime
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That seems to echo the experiences I have had with those breeds of dog.

FWIW, I have a 100 lb bullmastiff that I got from a breeder when he was 9 weeks old. He's big, he's muscular and he has a head the size of a dish pan. He also eats large amounts. But he's probably the biggest baby I've ever seen.

He stays inside with me and I've taught him tons of stuff. It's amazing how he can basically understand English. LOL. I don't talk to him like he's a dog, I talk to him more as if he's a person. He certainly knows the meanings of words.

He is one of the smartest, most gentle and playful dogs I've ever had. I will never own another dog that isn't a bullmastiff. He is so well mannered it's hard to believe. I had him house broken in a day and a half. He has NEVER once chewed anything in the house. You could sit a steak in the floor and unless you tell him he can have it, it won't be bothered.  I really lucked out with him and like the breed.

He will bark when someone first arrives, but he's not at all aggressive. But because he's rather large and has that "bull" look about him, people are terrifyed of him. Yet when they finally get over their fear and come to him, he will usually end up trying to lick them in the face.

I have seen stories where this breed of dog has also attacked and killed people. But when I examine those cases, more often than not, the dogs belonged to drug dealers who neglected them or abused them in some manner...or who were completely irresponsible.  However, I know my dog and I would trust him with my life. He wouldn't harm a fly.

-CH
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The only dogs I have ever been attacked was this mean ass little cocker spaniel and he bit me on my arm damn near to the bone.  I was attacked and bit pretty bad by a lab mutt and have killed 3 dogs to keep from getting bit including the latter.  Never been attacked or even growled at by any of the killing machines everyone talks about.  I have owned pits all my life and so have my parents with NO bites what so ever.  

It is total media hype.  Mine are family and that is that.  I would move to another city or state if I had to keep them.
I may be mistaken but I think I read that more bites come from Cockers and Dalmatians than any other breed and Rotts are responsible since they started keeping records for more deaths of humans in this country than all others.  I remember when I was in the Army I saw a Chow attack a SGM’s kid and almost kill him.  He was like 14 at the time too.

I guess if cities with bad dog problems started treating attacks like shootings and holding the owner responsible instead of the dog or gun and keeping very strict penalties like 1st degree assault then maybe these dogs would not be so bad.  Make dog attacks felonies if they can be proved to be the owners fault.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
It is all about how they are raised.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have a dog in this fight but the guy I share my office with at work had his golden retriever attacked by two pit bulls last night.  The owners of the pits were letting their 6 yr olds walk them and they got away from them.  His dog has several punture wounds and is very sore. They have already told him they would pay the vet bills.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not the dog - it's the owner's fault.  A dog will do as it is trained.  If not trained, it will rely on instinctive behavior.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#11]
the probalm is that there's such a close correlation between pit bulls and irresponsible owners
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Most dog bites aren't from pit bulls but from what I understand, most maulings/deaths are.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pitbulls are kind of like assault rifles sometimes. If a pitbull bites or kills someone, it's in every paper and on every newscast in the nation. If it's another breed, it will only get a passing mention.

If an assault weapon is used in a crime, boy, that will be the first detail they give you. But if it was a knife, seems there's little interest in the weapon.

To the uninformed, pitbulls and military style rifles are scary. And the media is largely to blame.

I have been around no less than 30 pitbulls in my lifetime and all were the biggest babies I ever saw. None of those dogs ever exhibited any aggressive behavior. That's because they were properly bred, trained and cared for by the owners.

Any weapon can kill. Any dog can and has killed. But to take one type, brand it as evil and keep pumping that out when it's often not the case pisses me off. With either, it is more about what you do with it than it is about the gun or the dog. But since pitbulls and AK's look scary, the same ol' bullshit will continue.

Very well said.  I agree 100%
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Great list.
Now put it side by side to a list of pitbull attacks.
CH
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Read the results from the American Temperament Testing Study .
www.atts.org  
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#16]
"Pitbulls don't kill people - People kill people"
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey my rule of thumb is never own a dog that can take ya.  I (my wife) owns two Papillons and a Yorkie.  All thee of them would have to catch me dead drunk, passed out and they just may have a chance.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#18]
i noticed no rot attacks for the 3 months i read through, but just about everyother dog listed, how bout that, glad i have 2. people keep telling me how bad they are.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
the probalm is that there's such a close correlation between pit bulls and irresponsible owners

Fact:  ALL dogs can be abused,  mistreated or mis-trained and be dangerous
Fact:  A higher percentage of dogs bred for aggressive work attack people.  AKA Pits, Rotts, Mastiffs etc
Fact:  If you get latched onto by a Pit or a Rott, you are going to get torn up a lot worse than if the you quiero taco bell chiuauha gets ahold of you
Fact;  Non-restrained dogs can be very dangerous and the owners should be held accountable.
Fact;  If I am walking and your dog approches me and I feel threated,  I will kill it.  I love dogs but not ones that are aggressive in any way.

I've raised and trained labs of various kinds for my whole life. On the order of 500+ dogs and I've never seen a lab bite someone and leave a puncture wound too big for a band-aid.  EVERY lab bite I've seen has been a puppy or juvenile dog that was rough-housing or being played with very hard and just overbit in excitement.  I've NEVER seen a lab aggressivly go after somone and actually bite them. I have seen them growl (Chesapeak bay retrievers excepted.  Those damn things are MEAN).  

There are breeds of dogs that are generally more aggressive than other breeds of dogs.  Pits and Rotts have earned their reputation.  They aren't the only dogs that bite but if you are approached by a stray dog,  you are more likely to get a piece torn out of you if you are facing a rott or a pit than if it's a golden or something.

Actually we went for a walk last night two dogs ran up and started growling at us,  a young pitt and some other damn ugly looking thing that looked like a large version of that dog on MIB that was the alien.  The pit was really growling and barking and only broke contact after I bounced a discarded piece of 2x4 off his melon. The wife was very distressed. Then they chased some other poor lady walking a little midget dog  back into her house. I was stupid and not carrying but will be on the next walk and if they come again we'll have  a S,S and S incident.

[flamesuit on for pit/rott/aggressive dog apologists]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hey my rule of thumb is never own a dog that can take ya.  I (my wife) owns two Papillons and a Yorkie.  All thee of them would have to catch me dead drunk, passed out and they just may have a chance.

Bull.

One to the testicles and two to the throat.

You're a dead man.

I love big dogs. I owned an English Mastiff. Best damn dog on this planet. I am not scared of dogs.

But in my job I am required to make entry into peoples houses and yards under very stressfull and immediate circumstances. All dogs may bite and are treated as such if acting aggressively. I can distract most dogs with a tennis ball.

Anyone have the stats on FATAL dog attacks? I could get bit by a chihauhau and probably survive. I think that as a rule, pit bulls are over represented on that list. They are built to kill.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They are built to kill.

Uh, isn't every large breed dog physically built to kill?  They are carnivores.  They all have intense jaw pressure capability.

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#22]
"Pitt bull haters. list of other dog attacks   "

Who gives a Rat's ass. Individual examples mean shit. Until someone can produce some solid stats to the contrary, my impression / assertion is that the bulk of deadly attacks are committed by Pit Bulls.
And based on that, I say "Pit Bulls should be wiped out."
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are built to kill.

Uh, isn't every large breed dog physically built to kill?  They are carnivores.  They all have intense jaw pressure capability.

Okay, true to a degree. Like I said I had a Mastiff. Huge is an understatement.

Maybe I should have said that they are built, bred and trained to kill. It DOES depend upon their upbringing and training. But physically they are among the most awesomely powerful pound for pound breed out there. Bred specificalyy for their massive forelimbs/shoulders. And their jaws. Why is that?

In the US they are used as status symbols by the wrong people. You can't stop that. The dog is demonized by the press. But those dogs are friggin' scary.

And unpredictable. How many of these fatal attacks are on children? Pit bulls have the ability to see themselves at the top of the pecking order. The alpha creature of the pack. If not properly acclimated and trained they will take over. And maul your kid.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are built to kill.

Okay, true to a degree. Like I said I had a Mastiff. Huge is an understatement.

Maybe I should have said that they are built, bred and trained to kill. It DOES depend upon their upbringing and training. But physically they are among the most awesomely powerful pound for pound breed out there. Bred specificalyy for their massive forelimbs/shoulders. And their jaws. Why is that?

In the US they are used as status symbols by the wrong people. You can't stop that. The dog is demonized by the press. But those dogs are friggin' scary.

And unpredictable. How many of these fatal attacks are on children? Pit bulls have the ability to see themselves at the top of the pecking order. The alpha creature of the pack. If not properly acclimated and trained they will take over. And maul your kid.

Your wrong about the strenght, you have read to many articles, just like pitbulls have lock jawws

The reason you see so many pitbull atacks is because people buy them thinking they are tough mean dogs and raise them this way.

Its funny how those of us with pitbulls who raise them like our other dogs have great 80lb lap dogs. But we just must be lucky. I know 4 people with pitbulls who have never had a problem and have great dogs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Your wrong about the strenght, you have read to many articles, just like pitbulls have lock jawws

The reason you see so many pitbull atacks is because people buy them thinking they are tough mean dogs and raise them this way.

Its funny how those of us with pitbulls who raise them like our other dogs have great 80lb lap dogs. But we just must be lucky. I know 4 people with pitbulls who have never had a problem and have great dogs.

I guess that you missed the part where I stated that it does depend upon the upbringing and training. It's in the post above.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"Pitbulls don't kill people - People kill people"

If AR's had a brain and motor skills and could make a decision to pull the trigger on it's own, I'd say you would have a valid comparison.

Since AR's are objects and not living, clearly you are an idiot to draw comparision to the gun motto... also rather ignorant as well. Next thing you know, the hapless voters in the country will automatically equate AR's as having a brain like a pitbull.

Your and others on this board who are trying to tie pitbull issue with the gun issue, are dangerous to those of us trying to preserve our 2nd amendment rights. If you feel you need pitbull rights in the constitution, get your issue off our wagon and go for your own amendment.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

While true, that's irrelevant.  It's like saying "There's a correlation between AK-47s and thugs"... sure lots of gangstas have AK-47s.  But so what?
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"Pitt bull haters. list of other dog attacks   "

Who gives a Rat's ass. Individual examples mean shit. Until someone can produce some solid stats to the contrary, my impression / assertion is that the bulk of deadly attacks are committed by Pit Bulls.
And based on that, I say "Pit Bulls should be wiped out."

The basis for most of the hype is a report that lists "pit bull type" dogs.  What is that?

Seriously?

The most recent one that had the "pit bulls" at the top of the attacks list had individual compilation data that listed the breed as "pit bull type".

Would a boxer bred to fight in the pit be a "pit bull type" dog?  Or would it fall under Boxer?

You would take action on an "impression"?  How sad/pathetic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Fact:  A higher percentage of dogs bred trained for aggressive work attack people.  AKA Pits, Rotts, Mastiffs  etc.

Fact: I have no Idea where you got Mastiffs, but you forgot to add Doberman Pincers, Airdales, and GSDs.  I also fixed your factual error.

I've raised and trained labs of various kinds for my whole life. On the order of 500+ dogs and I've never seen a lab bite someone and leave a puncture wound too big for a band-aid...I've NEVER seen a lab aggressivly go after somone and actually bite them.

You should see my neighbor's kid.  She required plastic surgery when she got too close to the uncle's lab while eating.  She's almost back to normal now, but it wasn't pretty.  Also, please refer to the number of abandoned and stray (some from drug-houses ) Rotts that have been placed by Wisconsin Rottweiler Rescue I posted above.  The estimate is low, and there have been ZERO human bite incidences.

There are breeds of dogs that are generally more aggressive than other breeds of dogs.  Pits and Rotts have earned their reputation.  They aren't the only dogs that bite but if you are approached by a stray dog,  you are more likely to get a piece torn out of you if you are facing a rott or a pit than if it's a golden or something.

Nope.  Guess again.  Breeding has nothing to do with it, and training does.  You can have any animal bred for a high prey drive, but to make them "agressive", you either have to allow it to happen (no training whatsoever), or train them to act on it.  ETA: For clarification, Pitt's should (according to the standard, which doesn't exsist) be bred to be animal agressive, but not human aggressive.

[flamesuit on for pit/rott/aggressive dog apologists]

No flame intended, but get out in the real world, get over your irrational fear, and spend some time with these dogs.  You might be pleasently suprised.

Pitts (and Rotts) have lots of things about them that are potentially dangerous, just as any large breed dog does (and yes, that includes labs).  Irresponsible owners seem drawn to these breeds however, and THAT is where the blame for the reputation should be placed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Spot on, unfortunately.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]
The only dog I've ever seen attack someone was a Boston Terrier.  That dog knew me damn well and just randomly decided to take a chunk out of my leg.

I've never met a mean pit bull, rottweiler, doberman, etc.  It really depends on how the owner raises them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I have to agree with those that said training, or lack of (and I'd throw in socialization) have much more to do with aggresive behavior than breed.  We've got a Neapolitan Mastiff, and a Catahoula Leopard.  Both have made many peoples lists of aggressive or "bad" dogs.  Both are easily capable of inflicting the same or more damage than a pit bull.  Niether has ever bitten anyone, or shown any aggresive behavior towards a human, discounting the one time that they were protecting my wife.  Even in that case, they placed themselves between her and the perceived threat, never once advancing.  The mastiff is our constant companion at all of the local festivals, parades, etc., and is routinely petted, squeezed, climbed on, and many other things by the local kids and adults, most of whom he has never seen before.  The majority of the time, ignorant owners are to blame for aggresive dog behavior.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#33]
The point is taken.  However, having experience with some homeowners' insurance carriers, I can say that if you own a pitbull or a rottweiler, you'll have a much more difficult time obtaining liability insurance.  This is because these two breeds are statistically much more likely to attack somebody.  And the insurance industry runs on statistics (actuarial tables).
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
This is because these two breeds are statistically much more likely to attack somebody.

Statistics based on poorly contrived incident data that may or may not list accurate breeds of dogs.

And the insurance industry runs on statistics (actuarial tables).

Which are flawed based on the input data from poorly compiled incident reports.

The CDC report I saw listed "pit bul type" dogs.  Again, there are Staffordshire and American Pit Bull Terriers, why can't they accurately identify the dogs?

Or are they simply MUTTS?  Well of course a majority probably are, but then again "MUTT ATTACKS CHILD." won't sell as many papers as "Super Aggressive Pit Bull Bites Child.", now will it?

Truth is most experts at a shelter, SPCA, the vet's office can't tell what's EXACTLY in a mutt.  If it looks like it MIGHT be from a pit bull breed, they list it as "pit bull", it's easier for them.

Truth is there are many dogs that look like TRUE pit bulls, especially when mixed and crossbred with other dog types.

As to "statistics" that use flawed incident data:

Garbage in; Garbage Out.

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
My dog is named buck, and he once pulled a 1000 pound sled loose from the ice, making me enough money to go on an expedition across the klondike.

On the expedition we discovered gold, but were attacked by indians.  I appeared to be killed, but was really playing dead.  Buck thought I was dead, though, and ran off to become wild.

Still, it was a harrowing experience.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My dog is named buck, and he once pulled a 1000 pound sled loose from the ice, making me enough money to go on an expedition across the klondike.

On the expedition we discovered gold, but were attacked by indians.  I appeared to be killed, but was really playing dead.  Buck thought I was dead, though, and ran off to become wild.

Still, it was a harrowing experience.

LOL!

Do you have a sidecar for Buck?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Over the years we have owned just about every kind of dog but a Pit. I'll be 50 in November and for the first time that I can remember we do not have a German Shepard right now. Boxers, chows, Dalmatians (the most worthless dogs on the planet) Collies, various breeds of cow dogs.....you name it we have had one. We have never had a biter luckily.

I've been a telephone repairman for 23 years and have had many encounters with just about every type of dog you can think of.  Most of my encounters have been with dogs inside fences or chained up. Usually if you call the dog and talk to them ( even if loose in the yard on a drive up) in a calm voice, and let them sniff you everything is cool. In that time I have been put in the truck by four dogs........a female boxer, a male Great Pyrenees, a male Dalmatian, and a male Lab. I have been bit three times in 23 years....twice by the same Teacup Poodle (dog just didn't like me) and a Pit Bull. The Pit got me back in Feb of this year and am in the process of settling a claim with Workman's comp for a 3% amputation of my thumb on my right hand. Owner didn't tell me the dog was in the back yard or I would have approached things differently. I violated the dogs space and he got me before I knew he was there. The dog was used to hunt feral hogs so I understand the aggression.

With radio host like this one..www.goldtalk.com/Portal/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1918&highlight=pitt+bulls it's not hard to understand why the dogs have such a bad reputation.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Pit Bulls are illegal to own in Miami-Dade County.

Media hype or not, there is a higher incidence of unprovoked attacks from Pit Bulls than most other breeds around.  Certainly proper breeding and good training helps to reduce these incidences.  Just the other day I spoke with an LEO buddy of mine who recently worked with the local animal control department and he confirmed this very fact.  Pit Bulls are simply more prone to attack people than most other breeds.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Purely anecdotal observations.

Recently lost a basset and have gone to a few shelters to see what was"in stock"

All the shelters were about 75% pit bull/mixes, 25%  whatevers.  Most of the pits or pit mixes were noted to have a bite history or "unknown".  Most of the others were "No" bites although many of the smaller  hound types had "bite" histories  There's a reason why the owners don't want them anymore.

Now around here in SoCaL a lot of gang bangers and wannabees have trained their pits to be a symbol of their tough aggressive masculinity (transferance?).  This generalized sociopathic behaviour is recognized in their dogs.  Hencae all the problems.

Now you take similar dogs and raise them to be like normal dogs, you get normal dogs.

but like ANY OTHER ANYTHING, the bad apples are going to get the publicity.  I mean what the heck is the story in dog doesn't bite?hell 99% of dogs never bite

Are you freaking in la-la land?  Pitbulls are average dogs raised by average people and perform on the average dog expected bell curve..

But that aint the way it is, life isn't average.  Take a dog being raised by a sociopath, to exhibit sociopathic behaviour, in an area where there are a lot more than the average occurrence of those sociopaths (gang types) in  a higher than average population density area  and you will get a BIG spike in negative occurrences than if  you were looking at everything average.

Yeah your pit may be a great dog, and you may be a great guy, but of the total population of pits and pit mixes, more are raised to be "baaad" dogs by "baaad" people.  ERGO you get bad results, and the breed is getting blamed for a very real problem compared to most avaerage breeds raised by average folks in average conditions.  The breeds bell curve isn't a bell curve but it has been skewed way out of alignment.

Come take a walk inparts of east LA or SouthCentral and look at the dogs.  Tell me tha bad rep isn't accurate in those areas.  BTW, I've seen videos of the Animal Control picking up strays and some of the pits and mixes were real pussies when the cataching noose was on.  Little lady hooks em up walks over and picks them up, carries them away.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is because these two breeds are statistically much more likely to attack somebody.

Statistics based on poorly contrived incident data that may or may not list accurate breeds of dogs.

The CDC report I saw listed "pit bul type" dogs.  Again, there are Staffordshire and American Pit Bull Terriers, why can't they accurately identify the dogs?

Or are they simply MUTTS?  Well of course a majority probably are, but then again "MUTT ATTACKS CHILD." won't sell as many papers as "Super Aggressive Pit Bull Bites Child.", now will it?

Truth is most experts at a shelter, SPCA, the vet's office can't tell what's EXACTLY in a mutt.  If it looks like it MIGHT be from a pit bull breed, they list it as "pit bull", it's easier for them.

Truth is there are many dogs that look like TRUE pit bulls, especially when mixed and crossbred with other dog types.

Garbage in; Garbage Out.

If there's ANY group whose statistics I will trust, it's insurance companies.  Actuarial tables are the life-blood of insurance companies.  It's what they use to make sure they remain profitable.  They spend thousands of man-hours every month making sure those tables are accurate and updated.  It's how they survive.  What kind of ACTUAL EXPERIENCE do you have with actuarial tables?  None?  That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I have 2 people in my immediate neighborhood that breed/raise pitts.  One of them has oversized teddy bears that are absolutely loveable.  (he has some beautiful pups for sale right now)  I went and checked out the unweened pups and the mama dog had no aggressive reaction to me whatsoever.  In fact, she wanted a little more attention for herself.  The other fights his dogs.  They are mean, aggressive and I wouldn't go anywhere near them.  2 different kinds of owners and 2 different kinds of dogs.  

Now, breeds.....  Pit Bull Terrier, jack russel terrier.......They are both terriers.....So, eddie on Frasier must be a killer....

RCA dog, the pup is a Jack Russel.....
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Satan the chihuahua proves that even little dogs are VERY dangerous.

www.alldumb.com/item/12227/

A bobble head version of him protects my car when I'm not there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Garbage in; Garbage Out.

If there's ANY group whose statistics I will trust, it's insurance companies.  Actuarial tables are the life-blood of insurance companies.  It's what they use to make sure they remain profitable.  They spend thousands of man-hours every month making sure those tables are accurate and updated.  It's how they survive.  What kind of ACTUAL EXPERIENCE do you have with actuarial tables?  None?  That's what I thought.

Jbombelli is spot on here.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm curious to see the relationship between these two groups, but doubt good numbers are available.

1)  Documented attacks by pit bulls (and close relations), and the criminal records of their owners
2)  Documented attacks by all other dogs, and the criminal records of their owners

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

And lets be realistic a minute…

If a Beagle attacked you , you could kick it to death without any trouble… even a kid could probably put up a good defence, certainly long enough for an adult to cme to it's aid and intervene.

NOT SO with a pitbull… if one of those attacks you no matter how strong you are you are going to be fighting for your life and in a world of hurt… a kid does not stand a chance of mounting a defence against a Pitbull.

ANdy
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Garbage in; Garbage Out.

Yes, of course.  I need to have experience using industry tools to illustrate that the experts who provide data on the breeds of dogs, that feed the statistical data of every kind can almost NEVER get a dog's breed correct just by looking at the dog itself.

Which means that all data collected, without a historical ancestry of the dog present, is a GUESS as to its heritage -- at best.  At worst, it's simply a hack job that places blame on "pit bull type" dogs, of which ANY BREED can be mixed in.

Get it?  I bet not.

A "pit bull" {notice the quotes}, can be any dog bred to fight another dog to the death.  Any breed, any crossbreed, any mixture of mutts.  It could be a boxer/mastiff mix.  A rottweiler/bulldog mix.  A shepard/doberman mix.  Whatever.

Saying the "pit bulls" are the leading dog in # bite cases, or the leading dog to create fatal dog attacks is like saying people with guns are the leading cause of gun shot wounds.

The CDC is one of the premier entititie that tracks bod attacks and fatal dog bites.  Not even they can compile accurate breeds.  Their actual final report includes "pit bull type" as a BREED.

The sources of those reports are the same sources as the insurance industry will use to development their risk assessments.  It's incident data that forms a trend.  It's too bad that the incident data is flawed due to poorly identified BREED's of dogs.

Please feel free to argue more.  But you may need to start with what the definition of a "pit bull type" dog is...since it can be ANYTHING someone wants it to be.

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Yeah, identifying dog breeds by sight inspection is like trying to trace a person's geneology by looking at them.

Somebody might look at a 100% Italian guy and say he was Turkish.  While close, it's not quite right.  While the insurance companies may get "close", and it will ultimately keep them profitable for being prudent.  Their data must come from incident data, if it doesn't then it's BS.

The incident data has been shown to be patently misleading, or downright wrong.

If they aren't using incident data, then they are simply making shit up, which could also keep them profitable, but it doesn't help us arrive at whether or not a "pit bull type" dog has a higher probability to bite someone.

It just doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#49]
I was attacked by a pitbull on the Fourth of July actually.

Me and a few buddies went over to this kids house. We're sitting in his basement when he came back down and said he let his pitbull back in. We all cowared in fear as we heard the dog trotting down the stairs. The door was slightly shut and the dog suddenly appeared by blasting it open with his snout. Everyone sat there watching in fear as the 90+ pound pit bull looked around. The dogs jaws were literally wider than my upper leg. As we all sat wondering who was going to get bit, the dog suddenly looked at me. The dog's owner told me I'm sitting in his dog's normal spot. Just then the dog rushed at me. As it approached, I got in a defensive position. The dog leapt up next to me on the couch. Then the psycho man eating beast proceeded to lick my face a couple of times, and rest it's head on my chest, begging me to pet her.

Seriously, it was one of the nicest dogs I've met. It didn't sniff me, she just came right up to say hi. After that, everyone got their chance of being demolished by the pitbull's tongue.

ETA: I forgot to mention that this dog's mother and father both were fighting dogs. She's three years old and has never attacked anyone. She is around kids, other dogs, and lots of people every day and is nothing but loving.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, identifying dog breeds by sight inspection is like trying to trace a person's geneology by looking at them.

Somebody might look at a 100% Italian guy and say he was Turkish.  While close, it's not quite right.  While the insurance companies may get "close", and it will ultimately keep them profitable for being prudent.  Their data must come from incident data, if it doesn't then it's BS.

The incident data has been shown to be patently misleading, or downright wrong.

If they aren't using incident data, then they are simply making shit up, which could also keep them profitable, but it doesn't help us arrive at whether or not a "pit bull type" dog has a higher probability to bite someone.

It just doesn't.

THEY DO USE INCIDENT DATA!!!!!  INCIDENT DATA IS WHAT ACTUARIAL TABLES ARE ALL ABOUT.  They have ENTIRE DEPARTMENTS dedicated to making sure THE DATA THEY USE IS AS ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE.  They can't afford to get it wrong.  I will trust them MUCH MORE than some internet schmo that thinks he knows what he's talking about.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top