Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2005 8:27:16 PM EDT
Yes, another Pit Bull thread.

The family up the street who owns these two Pit Bulls certainly aren't lowlifes or gangbangers.  In fact, they have one of the nicest looking houses on the block with fresh paint and a nicely trimmed lawn.  And from the contact I've had with them, they seem like nice, reasonable people.  But these two dogs are becoming a problem.  It turns out they have learned to push the garage door up enough to wiggle through.  

The last few times they got out I watched.  They went after a few neighbors, like the nice old lady across the street.  But she dropped her bag of groceries in the driveway and managed to make it into her house and close the front door behind her with just a few feet to spare.  Then the dogs turned on the guy next door to her.  He had to rip a leg off of an old dining room table they put out at the curb and swing it like a Louisville Slugger, actually beating these dogs back.  Normally I'd help my neighbors in a situation like this, but this guy was an asshole and a dope dealer, so he was on his own as far as I was concerned.  They're aggressive and look like they're ready to bite, but they've never gone after anyone I liked in the neighborhood or a child, so I've held my fire so far.

This time they got out and went after the mailman.  Our letter carrier is a nice guy named George who never hurt anyone, knows everybody by their first name, and certainly doesn't deserved to get mauled just for doing his job.  When they got under the garage door and charged him growling, barking, with teeth bared, he immediately blasted them with pepper spray.  To his shock, it didn't have much effect except to slow them down a little.  They had him cornered up against the house, but George used their temporary disorietation to slowly ease by them and retreat off the property.  George had to walk all the way around the block the long way to get back to his truck, but one of the Pits spotted him and charged down the block and cornered him again.  He had to hop behind a wrought iron fence across the street to get away, but the Pit Bull was close behind.  That's when all this ruckus I was hearing came into my field of view.

The dog was on the lawn next door, furiously barking and growling.  I stepped out onto my front porch and shouted to the mailman across the street.   "Hey George, are you ok?"

"No, the dog has me cornered here and I can't get back to my truck!"

Just then the dog decided to make it's move across the street to make another attack run at George.  I grabbed my Red Ryder BB gun to see if I could get it's attention.  The first BB hit the dog broadside and it let out a yelp.  But it stopped and now turned his attention toward me.  Good, and time for another shot.  YELP!  And another, and another.  The dog started backing up, but it was looking at me the whole time.  So I hit it 3 or 4 more times and backed it up a little more.  I could tell it was pissed, but it was also confused.  My plan had worked, and I had broken the dog's concentration on the mailman.  It started coming toward me.  I told George "I think you can make a break to your truck now," as I tossed my BB gun into the house and grabbed my Mossberg 590 loaded with 00-Buck.  George says "But what about you?"  I stepped out onto the porch, pumped the 12 gauge and said "I'll be ok.  If the dog charges you, just stop and I'll shoot it."

George started doing that Egyptian Side Step up against the neighbor's garden fence trying to shuffle down the street, all the while keeping an eye on the dog.  The dog would look over at George across the street and start to make a move, and I yell "HEY DOG, OVER HERE!!!" and the dog would stop, look at me, and start to back toward me again.  Then it would look at George, I'd yell again, and it would look back at me.  This went back and forth several times until the dog looked like it was watching a tennis match.  I had already decided that if the dog either took off toward George or stepped onto my property (it was only a few feet onto the neighbor's lot at the time) I was going to blast Fido and end the problem.  But once the mailman was gone the dog lost interest and I watched it trot back to it's own house behind the gold bead on the end of my barrel.

That was Saturday.  I talked to George today an he stopped delivering mail to that house.  The residents will now have to drive up to the post office every day to pick up their mail until they've resolved the situation to the satisfaction of the USPS.  George also reported the incident to his supervisor who had him fill out all the proper federal complaint forms.  Then he filed complaints with the local city Animal Control departments and the local police.  He also thanked me for helping him out, and remarked that while he's been chased many times by dogs in the past, no one has ever come to his rescue with a shotgun before.

Welcome to my world, George.  

Twice in the past I came very close to blasting these dogs.  But unlike JBTs, whenever you kill a dog out on the street you always have to answer for it.  The cops are going to cuff you and ask why you're shooting other people's pets on public streets, why you're shooting guns within the city limits, etc.  And then the dog's owners are going to start crying over the corpse loudly proclaiming that their darling little Fluffy wouldn't hurt a fly and I'm some sort of monster for slaughtering their beloved family pet.  But now the game has changed.  These dogs are officially listed as dangerous by several government agencies, and other people have complained.  So now it won't be so hard to prove to the police that blasting these dogs was easily justifiable.

In other words, no more Mister Nice Guy.  So it looks like I'm going to be keeping my shotgun out for a while.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
dupe
j/k
I had to do it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job.  If not the postman, who would bring the Car Craft or Mopar Muscle?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
[golfclap][/golfclap]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
dupe
j/k
I had to do it.

LMAO!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Those dogs need killing and the owners brought up on charges.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure thing.......

I'll raise this for now:  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Isn't that backwards?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]

You should have shot the dogs immediately - fuck the BB gun. Blast the fuckers with buckshot right where they stood. The mailman would certainly corroborate your story that the dogs were an immediate life-threatening menace to him and to you.

You should have even shot the fuckers (or at the very least called animal control) when they went after the old lady.

but they've never gone after anyone I liked in the neighborhood or a child, so I've held my fire so far.
Fuck it. If they maul or kill a child tomorrow, I can only hope your concience would eat away at your for the rest of your life.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Two questions:

#1 Since when is "JBT"  an acceptable term for describing police officers in general conversation?

#2 If the family up the street has " one of the nicest looking houses on the block, with fresh paint, and a nicely trimmed lawn" , what does your house look like? That should be the norm.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You should have even shot the fuckers (or at the very least called animal control) when they went after the old lady.

It turns out that several neighbors have already called Animal Control on these dogs in the past but nothing has happened.  I called them this time and they're suggestion was to go complain to the dog's owners.  I called the PD and they told me to call Animal Control.

Fuck it. If they maul or kill a child tomorrow, I can only hope your concience would eat away at your for the rest of your life.

The problem is I live in the city, not way out in the country where you can SSS.  You start shooting around here and you're going to have SWAT drawing down on you.  Literally.  A few months ago I caught one of the local GangBangersInTraining breaking into my car and I chased him down the block with a pistol in my hand.  By the time I caught him half a block up I already had a police helicopter circling me with several cars racing to my position.  (That's another story. )  My local PD is not very understandng about these matters.  If I were to shoot these dogs without a whole lot of evidence to back me up, I'm probably looking at least a few thousand in legal bills.  Sorry, but I'm not Animal Contol and I don't have extra thousands of $ to waste.  But now because of this last episode, I don't have to worry about that any more.  It's the opening day of Pit Bull Season.

ETA -

Quoted:
Two questions:

#1 Since when is "JBT"  an acceptable term for describing police officers in general conversation?

I used the term "JBT" to describe police officers who show up an shoot dogs.  Try to keep up with the context of the story.

2 If the family up the street has " one of the nicest looking houses on the block, with fresh paint, and a nicely trimmed lawn" , what does your house look like? That should be the norm.

Who are you - Architectural Digest?    As a matter of fact I just put down a $2k deposit on an $8k complete window replacement contact, and have already hired a roofing contractor.  My house is definitely not a dump, and by September it will be one of the nicest on the block.  Unless, of course, I have to pay legal fees for shooting some stupid dog.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
As a Pitbull owner, I think idiot irresponsible dog owners like that ought to be shot. I see several of them everyday in our apartment complex.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]

I used the term "JBT" to describe police officers who show up an shoot dogs. Try to keep up with the context of the story.

We dont shoot dogs. We TASER them. Get it right, sheesh!

Every time you bash a LEO, a Liberal gets his devil horns.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I used the term "JBT" to describe police officers who show up an shoot dogs. Try to keep up with the context of the story.

Geez, you guys are way too touchy.  I would've said "sensitive" but you guys are too touchy for me to say that.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, another Pit Bull thread.
BLAH BLAH BLAH  

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
sounds composed
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#16]
It's photoshopped!!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sure thing.......

I'll raise this for now:  

Sounds like some of the other "fooled ya!! " "drew down on him" threads. Good story though. I wish I coudl do that to my neighbor... I mean his dog...
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Try and get some  videotape before shooting. (Not you setting up for the hunt, but the dogs behaving maliciously ) It may help your situation. If you have complained to the cops, there has to be some incident number associated with it, be sure to get those.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I would have shot them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#21]
buy 1 of these 1st

www.thehuntcam.com/

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I have to ask: What's "JBT"?  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
 A few months ago I caught one of the local GangBangersInTraining breaking into my car and I chased him down the block with a pistol in my hand.  By the time I caught him half a block up I already had a police helicopter circling me with several cars racing to my position.  (That's another story. )  

UMM, I think I missed that post...lol link?

EDIT THE TITLE OF YOUR THREAD IS HAUNTING MY HEAD....to the tune of Rainbow connection.....

...and that's why they call it, the Mossberg connection,
the pitbull, the mailman, the 12 gauge and me..
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

excatly, the dogs are vicious and have no place in a neighborhood or in society and seeing the owners won't do thier job, I guess it's up to you. I have owned dogs for the last 27yrs and have ALWAYS kept control of my animals.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#25]
pit bulls are such gentle creatures
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#26]

A few months ago I caught one of the local GangBangersInTraining breaking into my car and I chased him down the block with a pistol in my hand. By the time I caught him half a block up I already had a police helicopter circling me with several cars racing to my position. (That's another story. )

Screw the dog story - this is the story I want to hear.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#27]
With all of the dope dealers in your neighborhood and agressive pitbulls, why do you still live there?

Oh add 1 more

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Isn't that backwards?

HaHA, your 100% correct!!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#31]
This story is made up just so he could throw out "JBT'S."
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
EDIT THE TITLE OF YOUR THREAD IS HAUNTING MY HEAD....to the tune of Rainbow connection.....

HA!! You have fallen victim to my insidious mind control plot.  In retaliation for ARFcomers being so mean to me I will now subject you to listening to the Muppets sing in your head for the next three days....

Quoted:
With all of the dope dealers in your neighborhood and agressive pitbulls, why do you still live there?

One word - equity.  Besides, I already got rid of the pot dealer across the street.  Now I just have to take care of these dogs.

Quoted:

To all the "JBT Whiners," grow a set of balls and get a sense of humor.  "JBT" was a reference to those mythical dog shooters who kill harmless family pets and get away scot free.  I was making the point that if I shot these dogs I would be answering some hard questions down at the police station.  It wasn't an actual depection of the local PD.  In my next post when I mention going to "the car wash" I'm not really going to a car wash.  I can see that ryann skipped his Mensa meeting to post here.  And there's no apostrophe in "JBTs."  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA!! You have fallen victim to my insidious mind control plot.  In retaliation for ARFcomers being so mean to me I will now subject you to listening to the Muppets sing in your head for the next three days....

Quoted:

One word - equity.  Besides, I already got rid of the pot dealer across the street.  Now I just have to take care of these dogs.

Quoted:

To all the "JBT Whiners," grow a set of balls and get a sense of humor.  "JBT" was a reference to those mythical dog shooters who kill harmless family pets and get away scot free.  I was making the point that if I shot these dogs I would be answering some hard questions down at the police station.  It wasn't an actual depection of the local PD.  In my next post when I mention going to "the car wash" I'm not really going to a car wash.  I can see that ryann skipped his Mensa meeting to post here.  And there's no apostrophe in "JBTs."  

Yeah, this pretty much seals it:

This story is 100%
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Good for you.  I'd have shot the rascal dead... but then again I don't live within city limits.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Ya don't have a pet porcupine do ya?

AB
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
pit bulls are such gentle creatures

So are ARFCOM members.

AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top