Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT
Might be a dupe, lemme know.
BROCKTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- A man lifting his infant daughter out of his car was killed in an apparent case of road rage by a motorist "who obviously exploded" and shot him four times at close range in front of dozens of witnesses, authorities said.

The victim's 10-month-old girl was covered with blood but uninjured when police found her in a car seat on the floor of the vehicle.

Walter R. Bishop, 60, who was taking medication for depression, was arrested Tuesday and charged with first-degree murder in the death of 27-year-old Sandro Andrade. He pleaded innocent and was ordered held without bail; a hearing was scheduled for August 26.

Plymouth District Attorney Timothy J. Cruz said Bishop had made a calculated decision to "shoot a man in cold blood in broad daylight on the streets of Brockton."

Police Chief Paul Studenski described it as a case of road rage.

Bishop's attorney, Kevin Reddington, said Andrade had provoked his client during a traffic altercation.

"We have a homicide that resulted from a circumstance where somebody picked a fight with an individual who obviously exploded," Reddington said. Bishop, a former soldier and security guard, had recently begun taking two medications for depression, he said.

Bishop told investigators he was driving his wife to the train station when Andrade's vehicle backed toward him on Main Street, Cruz said. The two exchanged heated words.

"He said his wife was scared, and he said he was angry at that encounter," Cruz said of Bishop. "He said he made up his mind right there that he had to do something."

After dropping his wife off, he allegedly returned to the scene of the confrontation, pointed a handgun through an open window and fired, police said.

"Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop! Four shots. It sounded like a cap gun," Louis McPhee, the manager of a car wash across the street, told The Boston Globe. "The guy was lying there in his own blood with a hole in his head and his arm still on the baby."

Bishop left before police arrived, but witnesses gave investigators his license plate number and police found him at his home.

Police said Bishop has a valid handgun license.
www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/03/road.rage.ap/index.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Bishop, a former soldier

Why did they feel the need to say this? At age 60, he's likely not been in the service for a number of years. Are they somehow trying to suggest that his being in the military taught him how to be a violent person?

Maybe I'm reading more into it than I should. But I just didn't see why his being in the military was relevent to this story.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]
He was on anti-depressants and had a pistol license.  I don't know if he was ever institutionalized or anything but I know on the NYC pistol permit they ask if you have any "mental illness" and I think you get auto-reject + they take your fee $$ for themselves.

Eitherway, this guys a fool and makes us look bad mainly because he had a "license".
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#6]
You're probably right DoubleFeed. Afterall, this is The Boston Globe we are talking about.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
shooting at the carwash, who'd have thought
ok, across the street from the carwash
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Walter R. Bishop, 60, who was taking medication for depression,

Stockton Massacre (CA weapons ban),  Columbine, this case.

notice a trend? Why aren't we working on Prozac control?  Or can only guns be bad?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
dupe #4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top