Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 6:04:39 AM EDT
LAS CRUCES, N.M.  — New Mexico State University's (search) mascot, Pistol Pete (search), is being disarmed.

University officials have also stripped the word "Pistol" from Pete's name. The new logo shows Pete twirling a lasso. The old Pete toted a pistol.

The changes are part of a marketing plan to remake the university's image on the national stage. Officials have been working on a redesign of Pistol Pete for months.

Athletics director McKinley Boston (search) said the university plans to unveil the new Pete later this month.

The decision to remove the pistol had more to do with a consensus when picking from several designs of the new logo, rather than any push for the mascot to stop brandishing a weapon, Boston said.

He acknowledged there are mixed feelings among alumni, but said he has heard more positive feedback than negative.

Though no one seems to know exactly how long Pete has been around NMSU, the current costume is 40 years old.

Oscar Avalos, a 2003 NMSU graduate, was disappointed that Pete will no longer be packing his pistol at sporting events.

"Is he going to be Lasso Pete now?" Avalos asked.

NMSU also has unveiled new football uniforms and helmets, and officially designated crimson and white as its colors, eliminating black from all uniforms.

Link
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Jesus, this country is doomed. We need to start hanging liberals from the lightpoles.....

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Oklahoma State's mascot is Pistol Pete.  Good luck disarming him.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oklahoma State's mascot is Pistol Pete.  Good luck disarming him.

ROFL

Pistol Pete, IMHO, is still too PC.
It should be "Evil Assault Weapon Bought off the Evil Ice Cream Truck Pete".
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh Geez. This PC bullshit is just too much to take on a Monday morning. I believe I hear the Four Horsemen saddling up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Jesus, this country is doomed. We need to start hanging liberals from the lightpoles.....

They do love that word "brandishing" don't they?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#7]

NMSU's new slogan:  Opposing teams tremble at the feet of "Lasso Pete".

PC gone amok.

The NCAA is trying that crap with FSU's mascot.  I like to see them try to take that flaming spear out of Chief Osceola's hand.

There is going to be a huge backash to all of the PC crap very soon.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

NMSU's new slogan:  Opposing teams tremble at the feet of "Lasso Pete".

PC gone amok.

The NCAA is trying that crap with FSU's mascot.  I like to see them try to take that flaming spear out of Chief Osceola's hand.

There is going to be a huge backash to all of the PC crap very soon.

But that's the problem with incrementalism, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Just change his name to Flavio the Nutless. I can see this shit going over in Sante Fe or Taos but Cruces, c'mon. Christ what a bunch of pussies.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#11]
there is only 1 pistol pete...

he bleeds orange and black........................

BTW..
he was a real cowboy..who would ride into Stillwater.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#12]
This political correctness bullshit is going to bring this
country to it's knees eventually. Sooner than later I
am afraid.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#13]
He's going to be "peaceful" or "protestor" Pete now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He's going to be "peaceful" or "protestor" Pete now.

PEACE through superior firepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
What a crock.......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#16]
how do these people get their way?

i am all for making the most offensive mascot and telling the ones offended to piss up a rope.

its about time to do it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top