Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:34 AM EDT
An off-duty Birmingham police officer shot and gravely wounded his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend Thursday after the man forced his way into their Center Point home, authorities said.

North Precinct Officer Jerry Kennedy, a 10-year veteran of the department, was visibly shaken, but not injured in the incident. The shooting victim, who had not been identified Thursday evening, was rushed to UAB Hospital with critical injuries.

The shooting happened at Kennedy's 613 26th Court NW home, near Jefferson State Community College.

Jefferson County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Randy Christian said the ex-boyfriend showed up at the home about 1 p.m. and tried to force his way in through the front door, but was unsuccessful. He then went to the garage door, which was partially open, pushed it up and got inside.

Kennedy, his girlfriend and five children, ages 7 to 13, were in the home. "They're screaming for him to get out and he's looking for this policeman who has retreated to the back bedroom," Christian said.

Police said the man kept shouting, "Where is he?"

The girlfriend called 911 and much of what happened next was recorded on the tape, Christian said. Investigators had only partially reviewed that tape Thursday afternoon.

"She was hysterical, incoherent really," Christian said.

The man then kicked in the door to the bedroom where the officer had retreated. Kennedy opened fire on his attacker, shooting him at least once. A bullet struck the man's neck.

Authorities had conflicting reports about whether the man had a knife.

Kennedy, who was less than two hours from reporting to work for his 3-11 p.m. shift, then used his police radio to call for help.

In a shaken, breathless voice, Kennedy said over the air that he had shot an intruder in his home who was trying to assault him. In police code, he told the dispatcher the man was wounded and possibly dead.

Although the shooting happened in the county sheriff's jurisdiction, dozens of Birmingham police officers, including top brass, converged on the scene.

As investigators processed the crime scene, Kennedy paced in front of the brick home, still clutching his police radio, for nearly an hour before sheriff's investigators took him to the Center Point substation for questioning.

Birmingham Police Chief Annetta Nunn declined comment.

Pretty dumb to go after a cop in his own home.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#1]
suicide by cop.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I wondering why the cop is dating a woman with 5 kids.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]

And the number of people that give a shit?     0
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
As shitty as it sounds, he did the right thing; retreated to the bedroom, 911 was called, and deadly force was used as a last resort. I'm sure some apologist for the attacker will insist the guy should have maced the intruder first,  but in the bedroom? No jury on earth would consider charges, and unless the DA's an idiot, they won't consider charges.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Were they his kids or her kids or part his, part hers?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Were they his kids or her kids or part his, part hers?

Don't know. Probably a blend like it is at my house.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Maybe she's experienced ?  (Sorry, my bad.....)

On a serious note, maybe some are his from a previous relationship and some are hers.  The article does not make it clear.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]
to a certain degree I agree that the cop did the right thing.  He retreated to the bedroom and used deadly force only s a last resort.  But.....If it was my house, the defense of my family, wife, kids, dog, would require that I stand and allow them to retreat.  the way I read the article, he retreated and left the GF and her brood in harms way.

I can't comment on his relationship with her or the kidletts, but they were not defended.  I don't know all the details, and it is easy to second guess.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
to a certain degree I agree that the cop did the right thing.  He retreated to the bedroom and used deadly force only s a last resort.  But.....If it was my house, the defense of my family, wife, kids, dog, would require that I stand and allow them to retreat.  the way I read the article, he retreated and left the GF and her brood in harms way.

I can't comment on his relationship with her or the kidletts, but they were not defended.  I don't know all the details, and it is easy to second guess.

She was prob trying to calm her ex down.  Maybe he didn't have domestic violence in his past?  So she didn't feel any danger.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She was prob trying to calm her ex down.  Maybe he didn't have domestic violence in his past?  So she didn't feel any danger.

Well then she is an idiot.  Someone breaks into your house whether or not they have a history
of domestic violence doesn't matter any longer.  He should have protected her better than he did.
Since he didn't we might infer that there is something going on here that maybe less
than totally on the up and up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then she is an idiot.  Someone breaks into your house whether or not they have a history
of domestic violence doesn't matter any longer.  He should have protected her better than he did.
Since he didn't we might infer that there is something going on here that maybe less
than totally on the up and up.

I have a feeling none of them are stable...5 kids...ex-BOYFRIEND...crazy...tough world for kids to grow up in these days.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I bet his duty rig was in the bedroom. He probably went there to get his gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a good shooting to me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Pretty dumb to go after a cop in his own home.

Pretty dumb to go after anyone in his own home.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, let the court see it as last resort. Let all us with common sense know he was getting what he needed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And the number of people that give a shit?     0

By the time they picked up the body, I bet he had 5 knives.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#17]

defense of my family, wife, kids, dog, would require that I stand and allow them to retreat.

+1  

"Your honor, I retreated to the inside of the door he was forcing, then tried to warn him off by spreading plastic tarps on the floor."
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]
If the intruder had been armed, it would have been a different story.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

SGatr15

It's a good thing Arfcom exists, otherwise you'd have to look in a mirror to find someone to listen to your bullshit.

Back on topic: good shoot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
As shitty as it sounds, he did the right thing; retreated to the bedroom, 911 was called, and deadly force was used as a last resort. I'm sure some apologist for the attacker will insist the guy should have maced the intruder first,  but in the bedroom? No jury on earth would consider charges, and unless the DA's an idiot, they won't consider charges.

I only fault him for hitting the neck instead of the head.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

It's a good thing Arfcom exists, otherwise you'd have to look in a mirror to find someone to listen to your bullshit.

Huh?

What is your problem buddy?

I meerly made an observation.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Good shoot. I can't wait for the replay!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Lots of "what if" senarios come to mind in a story like this.  Bottom line is though, getting shot is a risk you take when forcefully and illegally entering someone's house.  I don't see how they could bring the shooter up on charges.  If the perp had confronted the cop outside the home it would be different, but breaking and entering sealed this man's fate.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
suicide by cop.

Not in the classic sense.  This falls more under the love triangle gone bad/domestic violence area.

Sounds like the guy went looking to kick the ass of the man that stole his girl, and got himself shot in the process.  Good shoot though.

Rule #1 for staying out of the jail/morgue: Avoid love triangles.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

Show her plumbing works? and she is willing to use it?

and in answer to the previous question of course they are part hers.  probably about 50% her and 50% the Father.  Usually works out that way (natural selection or  directed breeding)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yes. Nothing worse than a psycho ex...

~Dan
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, thats the way it sounds to me. If he was runnin from the guy, wouldn't he have went out a window or something instead of shooting him?

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Some more on the STORY

Saturday, August 13, 2005

A man shot by an off-duty Birmingham police officer remained in serious condition Friday, and detectives said they hope to have their investigation complete early next week.

Authorities on Friday identified the shooting victim as Gregory Marcel Robinson, 34. Court records show Robinson has a lengthy criminal history, including numerous arrests for theft and drug possession and distribution.

Jefferson County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Randy Christian said doctors have predicted a 50 percent survival rate for Robinson.

Authorities say the West End man was shot at least one time in the neck Thursday afternoon when he burst into the home where his ex-girlfriend, Tracy Hood, lives with Birmingham police Officer Jerry Kennedy.

Authorities said Robinson showed up at Kennedy's 613 26th Court NW home about 1 p.m. and tried to force his way in through the front door. He then went to the garage door, which was partially open, pushed it up and got inside.

Kennedy, Hood, and five children, ages 7 to 13, were in the home. Authorities said three of the children were Hood's and the others were visiting.

Police said Robinson was looking for the officer, saying, "Where is he?" Kennedy had retreated to a back bedroom and locked the door . He opened fire on Robinson when Robinson kicked in the door.

"He knew this guy he was dealing with was a police officer and chances were there was a gun in the house," Christian said. "So he's either the bravest guy I've ever heard of or the dumbest. Or his emotions just got the best of him." Christian said Friday it's still unclear whether Robinson had a knife.

"We should have the investigation wrapped up by Monday and turned over to (District Attorney) David Barber for review," Christian said.

The cop must have known her Ex was criminal . He also knew the guy
had bad intent when he tried to force his way in the front door .
I'm sure they also had words at the front door before the guy got inside

He also must have known the guy was looking for him , since he was yelling
" Where Is He "  

So he runs to a back bedroom and locks the door , leaving
the women and children to deal with the guy ??

Now I'm not trying to cop bash here , but this guy must have had
some firearm training , as well as some more dealing with handling
aggressive suspects .

Yet he only hits the guy once in the neck at room distance
with the guy framed in a doorway after kicking in the door ?

Something doesn't add up here
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#30]
That stupid cop didn't go in front of his woman and the 5 kids? He should've grabbed his gun and shot the ex-boyfriend at the front door!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Updated:

Sheriff's Department officials said an investigation into the Thursday afternoon shooting of Gregory Marcel Robinson, 34, by an off-duty North Precinct officer neared completion Monday.

The case was expected to be turned over to Jefferson County District Attorney David Barber today, according Sgt. Randy Christian, a spokesman for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department.

It is routine for the Sheriff's Department to investigate officer-involved shootings for municipal police departments.

Robinson's condition was upgraded to fair Monday after he was listed in serious condition throughout the weekend.

Authorities say the West End man burst into the 613 26th Court NW home where Kennedy lives with Robinson's ex-girlfriend. Kennedy had locked himself in a back bedroom with his girlfriend's five children, ages 7 to 13, when Robinson kicked in the door. That is when Kennedy shot Robinson

So he was holding out in the back WITH the kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top