User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2005 4:11:07 PM EDT
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/18/AR2005081801167.html

Tiger Kills Kansas Teen Posing for Photo

The Associated Press
Thursday, August 18, 2005; 6:38 PM

MOUND VALLEY, Kan. -- A Siberian tiger attacked and killed a teenage girl who was posing for photos at a family-run animal sanctuary Thursday in southeast Kansas, authorities said.

The Labette County Sheriff's office identified the victim as Haley R. Hilderbrand, 17, of Altamont. A statement from the office said Hilderbrand was at the Lost Creek Animal Sanctuary posing for photos with the 7-year-old tiger, which was being restrained by its handler, when the animal turned and attacked her.

Officers and handlers killed the animal. Emergency personnel were not able to revive Hilderbrand.

Doug Billingsly and his family opened the 80-acre sanctuary in 1994. According to the sanctuary's Web site, its animals include lions, leopards, tigers and bears. The site says the sanctuary has an affiliated Animal Entertainment Productions, which trains animals for stage performances, movies, television shows and magic shows.

Billingsly didn't immediately return a phone call for comment.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad Kitty.  No special treat.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Bad Kitty. No special treat.

Sounds like kitty got its treat already.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Very sad,

And I do not think humor needs to be in this thread. A child lost her life.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very sad,

Damn I'm screwed , I agree with Oly
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Not matter how friendly these animals are, they should still be considered wild animals. Was it was the owner's daughter that got killed? I guess even if the animal is declawed, I think they are still dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
But the Disney channel assured me that if I was ever lost in the woods benevolent tigers, lions and wolves would look after me if I only showed them genuine respect and cared about their environment.

Obviously this girl didn't care about the environment enough.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Very sad.

Should have put the handler down as well
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I read this thread wrong but it seems as most of your are supporting the girl who died.

WTF, the cat was wild. Its here fault, never go around a wild animal, esp a Tiger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
And they want to bring lions and elephants back
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
why would they kill the cat?

they should sterilize the girl's extended family for producing morons.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
What dumbass puts their kid in with a TIGER to have their picture taken?

Sorry the child was killed, but that is the height of stupidity.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a TIGER, not morris the cat. Nuff said. Sad story but if the dude from Siegfried and Roy can get mauled after what, 30 years?, working with them, a kid sure can.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#14]
well at least DARWIN will sleep comfortably tonight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Very sad,

We all can think what we want.

At NO point in my life have I ever thought posing by a WILD CARNIVOROUS ANIMAL was a good idea.
Not even a remotely good idea.

People sometimes forget that 600 pound cat eats MEAT, and to him YOU are food. The handlers/owners/child got a big dose of stupid and someone ended up dead. While I greive for the family, I also chuckle at the morbid humor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]
That is what happens when you mess with wild animals. No matter how long they've been locked up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]
A kid shouldn't get killed by a tiger in Kansas.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
When you get around big cats, bears, dogs, etc. you become part of the food chain.

You can't forget that. When you do, this shit happens.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
People need to learn when they are around wild animals they become part of the food chain.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Right about now, Walt Disney is laughing his ass off.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
People need to learn when they are around wild animals they become part of the food chain.

Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Why in the hell can't shots like that be photo shopped?

If her Dad had been there and armed... she might be in surgery instead of on a slab at the morgue.

ARM YOURSELF!

PITSNIPE OUT
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#25]

the 7-year-old tiger, which was being restrained by its handler

This must be some strange usage of the word "restrained" that I was not previously aware of.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry folks, but someone had to post it.....

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Bye-bye kitty.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

the 7-year-old tiger, which was being restrained by its handler

This must be some strange usage of the word "restrained" that I was not previously aware of.

I agree...they need to insert the word "unsuccessfully" right before (or after if you want) "restrained".  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, the handlers and zoo owners ASSURE people that the animals are tame and safe, when in reality they are not.  The average layperson who doesn't know anything about animals simply takes the word of the "expert."  I don't blame the parents or people who come to see these great animals, I blame the handlers and others whose hubris allows these incidents to take place.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, the handlers and zoo owners ASSURE people that the animals are tame and safe, when in reality they are not.  The average layperson who doesn't know anything about animals simply takes the word of the "expert."  I don't blame the parents or people who come to see these great animals, I blame the handlers and others whose hubris allows these incidents to take place.

We aren't talking about eating puffer fish or the deadly sting of that goofy conch or some other 'hidden' danger; It's a TIGER. You know:

Certainly the handlers need to be held accountable; no question of that. But if you are willingly going near a tiger, well...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not an expert either, but I can promise you this.... my child will never stand next to BoBo the Grizzly, or Fluffy the African Lion, or Giggles - the worlds friendliest Rhino.  Why, cause I wasn't born stupid.  I'm sorry the girl died but that was beyond dumb, simply a pathetic level of stupid.  You can't tell me that some little voice in a good parents head isn't screaming when your kid is standing next to a damn tiger that kills prey several times your whole families combined weight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3, 4 and 5.

Dumasses.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not an expert either, but I can promise you this.... my child will never stand next to BoBo the Grizzly, or Fluffy the African Lion, or Giggles - the worlds friendliest Rhino.  Why, cause I wasn't born stupid.  I'm sorry the girl died but that was beyond dumb, simply a pathetic level of stupid.  You can't tell me that some little voice in a good parents head isn't screaming when your kid is standing next to a damn tiger that kills prey several times your whole families combined weight.

I don't disagree with you.  I wouldn't put my kids (assuming I had them) in the situation.  But, you'd be surprised how convincing these experts are.  Just watch Dave Letterman when he has the animal guy on sometime.  Everybody is quick to call the parents stupid, but you nver really know what else is going on and what the orginal situation was before someone had a bright idea.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Look we all know that there is a gunshop in every town that has an "expert" running it.  You know the guy that was in nam and carried an AK because it could use M16 (223), M14(308) as well as AK(762x39) mags with no modification; he just picked up whatever when he was out of ammo.  Lay-people listen to him because he is an expert on guns.

Idiots are everywhere.  If Joe-Bob can run a gun store and be considered an expert then his cousin Billy-Bob can run a wildlife refuge and be an expert.

Otherwise smart people are still morons.  Its a lack of common sense.  99% of the population lacks it.  Wild animals are wild.  There is a reason in the millions of years man has been around and TIGERS have NOT been domesticated.  Ditto grizzlys, panthers, lions, aligators.

What is sad is the girl had stupid parents.  It wasnt the Tigers fault or her fault but the owners and parents for believing the stupid owners.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

homepage.ntlworld.com/julie.trigg1/cj_27226.gif

One guess who I was for Halloween that year

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OOO! OOO! I Got it! You were a homosexual!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OOO! OOO! I Got it! You were a homosexual!

good one!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Maybe I read this thread wrong but it seems as most of your are supporting the girl who died.

WTF, the cat was wild. Its here fault, never go around a wild animal, esp a Tiger.

That is true the girl was stupid to go so near the tiger.
The parents if they knew and allowed it were stupid.
The tiger is a wild animal and is dangerous.

However, this is a human being and so even if she did something very stupid we as humans will support her and feel bad for what happened to her.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#41]
The first thing that I thought of was the pictures of my cousin's 4 year old son posing next to a tiger....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#42]
[chris rock] People were sayin' when that tiger bit Roy, that the tiger went crazy. Bullshit! That tiger went tiger! [/chris rock]

What the fuck do people expect to happen when they interact with a tiger?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn.

Now, I have fed tiger cubs before.  I have been to a petting zoo with small juvenile tigers.  But it would be a cold day in hell before I come anywhere near a Siberian fucking tiger.  Aren't they among the largest terrestrial predators on earth, right next to the Kodiak Bear???

non sequitur: speaking of Kodiak Bears, check this shit out:

Looks like he shot that fucker in the face.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Hippies who worship Gaia.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Doug Billingsly and his family opened the 80-acre sanctuary in 1994. According to the sanctuary's Web site, its animals include lions, leopards, tigers and bears.

Oh my!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
why would they kill the cat?

they should sterilize the girl's extended family for producing morons.

Because they can.
The same reason the cat killed the girl.

We are all animals remember, cat gets stupid, it dies...simple as that.

You telling me that if some cat ate your kid, you would stand to see it's fucking face every morning. STFU

You would blow it's head off.

With a full power shot
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Damn.

Now, I have fed tiger cubs before.  I have been to a petting zoo with small juvenile tigers.  But it would be a cold day in hell before I come anywhere near a Siberian fucking tiger.  Aren't they among the largest terrestrial predators on earth, right next to the Kodiak Bear???

non sequitur: speaking of Kodiak Bears, check this shit out:

www.greenapple.com/~jorp/amzanim/ted&paw.jpg

www.greenapple.com/~jorp/amzanim/ted&bear.jpg

Looks like he shot that fucker in the face.

Those pictures where taken after that bear had eaten a hiker. It was a depredation hunt to rid the area of a man eating bear!

And it is sad that a young child lost her life.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Ron Howard's brother Clint never would have been a major film star if he had never been with Gentle Ben.

First time that I ever saw "Clint Howard" and "major film star" in the same sentence.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/tiger422x317.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/tiger3317x422.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/tiger2317x422.jpg

EPOCH

not to hijack this thread but dayum!  that nurse has some legs!  beautiful long legs! Paging Ilikelegs!  I found your new avatar!

Also sorry to hear about the little girl...very sad
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3, 4 and 5.

Dumasses.

+6
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top