Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 4:04:41 AM EDT
www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2005/08/22/1182846-sun.html

Heist weapon a maiming machine

KATE DUBINSKI, Free Press Reporter   2005-08-22 01:20:45  

The restricted semi- automatic rifle seized after last week's jewelry heist and police pursuit has a history as an easy-to-carry maiming machine.

"In the gang context, the AR-15 could be deemed a status symbol because it's small and light and compact in terms of assault rifles," said Marko Jugley, a gun owner and executive member of the Maple Leaf Marksmen Rifle and Revolver Club in St. Catherines.

The rifle's cartridges are also lightweight, allowing users to carry more ammunition at a time. That ammunition packs a nasty punch.

The rifle uses .223-calibre bullets -- also known as a 5.56 bullet -- which produces dramatic wounds. The bullet enters the body and quickly turns sideways, breaking into two major pieces and many small fragments.

The AR-15 is a civilian version of the M-16, used during the Vietnam War and designed to maim and incapacitate soldiers, said John Kellaway, president of the Maple Leaf club.

U.S. soldiers in Vietnam reported the bullets did not kill quickly and they often found the enemy by following a path of blood to a body.

An AR-15 assault rifle was found after four men walked into Anstett Jewellers in White Oaks shopping mall on Wednesday and stole an undisclosed amount of jewelry.

The men then led London Police on a wild chase through suburbs in the city's south end, at times hanging out of the sunroof of their vehicle, pointing the high-powered firearm at police cruisers, according to witness accounts.

At least one shot was fired at police, ricocheting off of the windshield of a cruiser, leaving a hole and slightly injuring an officer in the vehicle.

The rifle can be modified and weighs 2.9 kilograms to 3.6 kg.

The rifle can be modified to hold up to 40 rounds of ammunition, but in Canada is only allowed to hold five rounds in a detachable magazine.

Popular in gangsta rap lyrics, the weapon has drawn unwelcome attention in several high-profile shootings.

The AR-15 was used by snipers who terrorized the Washington, D.C., area in the fall of 2002. One woman was killed and several other people were injured in the attacks.

U.S. police warned the public the man known as the Olympic Park Bomber -- who detonated a bomb at the 1996 Atlanta games -- was known to carry an AR-15 rifle.

In Canada, the weapon is restricted.

"You used to be able to use it for hunting, but now it's restricted and all you can basically do with it is target practice," Kellaway said.

The starting cost is about $800 and the price can go as high as $3,000, depending on modifications.

Wednesday's heist left two men dead -- one of them Sean Patrick McGrath, 37, of Montreal -- and two in hospital. One of the survivors, Akili Roberts, 25, of Montreal, is charged with robbery.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Hats off the the modern day AR15 designers! They made one great weapon

I just didn't know I had to pay a $200.00 tax stamp for owning a Machine Gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:10:36 AM EDT
[#2]

A maiming machine  

Fucking idiot.....

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats Canada for you.

Cold weather makes folks stupid.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Maiming huh? Would they feel better if it was a 7.62?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The restricted semi- automatic rifle seized after last week's jewelry heist and police pursuit has a history as an easy-to-carry maiming machine.

"In the gang context, the AR-15 could be deemed a status symbol because it's small and light and compact in terms of assault rifles," said Marko Jugley, a gun owner and executive member of the Maple Leaf Marksmen Rifle and Revolver Club in St. Catherines.

The rifle's cartridges are also lightweight, allowing users to carry more ammunition at a time. That ammunition packs a nasty punch.

The rifle uses .223-calibre bullets -- also known as a 5.56 bullet -- which produces dramatic wounds. The bullet enters the body and quickly turns sideways, breaking into two major pieces and many small fragments.

The AR-15 is a civilian version of the M-16, used during the Vietnam War and designed to maim and incapacitate soldiers, said John Kellaway, president of the Maple Leaf club.

U.S. soldiers in Vietnam reported the bullets did not kill quickly and they often found the enemy by following a path of blood to a body.

An AR-15 assault rifle was found after four men walked into Anstett Jewellers in White Oaks shopping mall on Wednesday and stole an undisclosed amount of jewelry.

The men then led London Police on a wild chase through suburbs in the city's south end, at times hanging out of the sunroof of their vehicle, pointing the high-powered firearm at police cruisers, according to witness accounts.

At least one shot was fired at police, ricocheting off of the windshield of a cruiser, leaving a hole and slightly injuring an officer in the vehicle.

The rifle can be modified to hold up to 40 rounds of ammunition, but in Canada is only allowed to hold five rounds in a detachable magazine.

Popular in gangsta rap lyrics, the weapon has drawn unwelcome attention in several high-profile shootings.

The AR-15 was used by snipers who terrorized the Washington, D.C., area in the fall of 2002. One woman was killed and several other people were injured in the attacks.

U.S. police warned the public the man known as the Olympic Park Bomber -- who detonated a bomb at the 1996 Atlanta games -- was known to carry an AR-15 rifle.

"You used to be able to use it for hunting, but now it's restricted and all you can basically do with it is target practice," Kellaway said.

The starting cost is about $800 and the price can go as high as $3,000, depending on modifications.

Wednesday's heist left two men dead -- one of them Sean Patrick McGrath, 37, of Montreal -- and two in hospital. One of the survivors, Akili Roberts, 25, of Montreal, is charged with robbery.

Don't you like how the she got the facts wrong. Aw, hell, there's a lot wrong with this article.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Who are those bozos of the Maple Leaf gun club?  Statements to the media must be coldly bland so that it becomes difficult to manipulate into a disfavorable light.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
oops...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey, it's been downgraded from a Baby Killing Machine to a Maiming Machine.  Wow...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you like how the she got the facts wrong. Aw, hell, there's a lot wrong with this article.

[Frank Sinatra Singing]That's why the Lady is Tramp...[/Frank Sinatra Singing]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn Canadians.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes, the Canadians prefer a bullet that makes an entry hole, goes out the other side, and damages more people and property.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
People are so ignorant.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Woot!

I GOT one!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A maiming machine  

Fucking idiot.....

Damn right. Everyone knows it's a killing machine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Are the guys at that club in Canada? I don’t know Canadian gun laws and really don’t care, but aren’t AR's illegal in Canada? and if that’s the case these guys must just be sad they cant get one so they got to ruin it for us in the United States wtf.
What ever, if I was a gang member I would just go back to useing my AK to make them happy.
~prue~
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the Canadians prefer a bullet that makes an ntry hole, goes out the other side, and damages more people and property.

Sorta like a Barrett?

Im a proud owner of a Maiming Machine!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
So under her logic a car is nothing more than a mobile death/injury contraption?  Far more people are injured/killed by automobiles.  And bicycles, and swimming pools, the list goes on and on.

Once again the least intelligent in a society is given license to broadcast stupidity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm sure the bad guys had a 5 round mag!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I know a maiming machine what would you call something like a chainsaw clearly it has other uses besides cutting down trees like Disemboweling instrument of DOOM
What a bunch of jerks these guys are.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#21]
MODIFIED to hold up to 40 rounds?

I beg to differ, Toots.

How the bejesus is an AR modified to hold 40 round mags?

"ooh look. a 40 round mag! I wonder if it'll fit in my AR..i've only ever shot 5 round mags outta it."

"well shit. It does. Looky there!"

That, and they DO sell drum mags for ARs. Meaning they can hold ALOT more than 40 rounds, not just "up to"

I think the colander in my kitchen has fewer holes than her reporting does.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
MODIFIED to hold up to 40 rounds?

I beg to differ, Toots.

How the bejesus is an AR modified to hold 40 round mags?

"ooh look. a 40 round mag! I wonder if it'll fit in my AR..i've only ever shot 5 round mags outta it."

"well shit. It does. Looky there!"

That, and they DO sell drum mags for ARs. Meaning they can hold ALOT more than 40 rounds, not just "up to"

I think the colander in my kitchen has fewer holes than her reporting does.

SHHHHHHHH!
Dont tell them about the drum mags if they ever saw a Beta mag they woud crap themselves LOL
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thats Canada for you.

<---------- Careful now!  

GM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Too big, too small, too many rounds, too deadly, it maims, it's too accurate.....blah, blah, blah. Yes, guns come in all sorts of sizes, styles, calibers, and yes they can kill and maim. Why do they keep writing this garbage? Give it a rest already!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, AR-15's only carry bullets now?  Since when did they make a caseless cartridge AR?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Who are those bozos of the Maple Leaf gun club?  Statements to the media must be coldly bland so that it becomes difficult to manipulate into a disfavorable light.

They're getting a bit of heat from shooters up here re. the statements made..
Figures though... the club is basically a old boys bullseye outfit.
Black rifles are forbidden on club property....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#27]
You didnt hear about the new caseless models. Im so getting one!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
but aren’t AR's illegal in Canada?
~prue~

AR's are perfectly legal in Canada... They're somewhat "restricted", but very common on the range.
They're treated much the same way we treat/regulate handguns... Oh, and you can't hunt with them, but you can hunt with a SL8, AR180B etc...
'Makes little sense, but that's how it is...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Jesus H.........What an articel!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#30]
"At least one shot was fired at police, ricocheting off of the windshield of a cruiser, leaving a hole and slightly injuring an officer in the vehicle." and destroying an airliner 5 miles away.  Gotta be carefull how you spray that ammo when you only have five rounds.  

I thought AK's were the bling for the gangsters?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
"At least one shot was fired at police, ricocheting off of the windshield of a cruiser, leaving a hole and slightly injuring an officer in the vehicle." and destroying an airliner 5 miles away.  Gotta be carefull how you spray that ammo when you only have five rounds.  

I thought AK's were the bling for the gangsters?

LMAO!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#32]
destroying an airliner five miles away?

I didn't even see that!

If ARs can do THAT, i'm taking out a loan and buying ten of them!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thats Canada for you.

no its not the cold, its the lack of quality beer that gets em.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Let's in see America = Bullet Hose, in Canada = maiming machine. Hummm, I think this thread could use a poll!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:21:47 AM EDT
[#35]

this goes to show that you can't [nor would you like to] appease gun banners.

when a round [really] is high powered and capable of long range kills, they don't want you to have it because it is capable of long range kills.

when the round is not, they bitch because they just injur instead of killing.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Man What a Weapon!
Tell me MORE about the WOUNDS!  I want to hear all about the BLOOD TRAILS!  And the slooow deaths, agonizing I hope!  And the SNIPERS!  DON"T LEAVE OUT THE SNIPERS!!!!  Tell me ALL about THOSE!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#37]
www.vaxxine.com/mlm/ That's the Maple Leaf Marksmen's website. Maybe we can invite them to register with arfcom! Oh no, wait, we might not want those lamers on here. Take a look at some of their "Regulations".

22) Only .22 caliber shooting is allowed outdoors on Sundays. 23) No shooting of human shaped targets.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Seriously Im glad that club is in another country.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#39]
damn canucks
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Seriously Im glad that club is in another country.

Thats a "no shitter!"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Gangsta rap "artists" have no idea what an AR15 is, and I can assure you that there are very few if any references to the AR15 in rap music.  All they know is "nons"(nines), "tecs", "Glocks", "Macs", and "AK's".  This is just a lame attempt to attach a stigma to AR's.  Gangsta rap = BAD, therefore AR15 = BAD.  Guilt by association, and the association does not exist.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#42]
E mail sent:

to: [email protected]

frm: SWO Daddy

Subj: Maple Leaf Gun Club Stupidity

Nice comments you morons made about the AR15 to the press.

You fucking idiots are a disgrace to law abiding gun owners EVERYWHERE.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#43]
It would be great if this club was within ear shot of Knob Creek that would be the grounds for a good movie angry self hating gun club who mocks all who care black un-pc firearms next to on of the greatest celebrations of the 2nd Amendment. Let the hilarity ensue!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like the Maple Leaf Club is on the receiving end of a fire mission!

Subject: Re: London Free Press article
Date: 8/24/2005 11:16:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Reply To:  
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], ashort@com
BCC:  
Sent on:  

Sent from the Internet (Details)  

After I sent the note to the first fellow, I now get this message from
someone else??  Does anyone know what this London Free press article is???
I do not remember having a meeting on any position the club has on the
AR15??
I am not enjoying getting hate mail!
Marko, What is going on??
Steve

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 9:32 PM
Subject: London Free Press article

>
> Greetings my neighbor to the north.
>
> I read with much dismay the London Free Press article
> by Kate Dubinski (2005-08-22) regarding the MLM view
> of the AR15 rifle.
>
> The statements by your member, Marko Jugley, are in insult
> to gun owners worldwide. The sort of drivel espoused by Jugley
> is exactly what the anti-gunners love to spoon feed to the sheep
> that make up the masses. By pinning some sort of evil nature
> on a particular rifle, which, by the way, is FAR less lethal
> than any of my deer rifles, MLM furthers the unjustifiable
> bigotry faced by owners of any firearm.
>
> But you probably know this already. You Canadian gun owners
> seem to want to lose your rights to self defense. The
> "my target rifle is safe because its not evil like that
> other rifle" attitude is bogus and is a precursor to you
> losing all firearms. Your botched and expensive registration
> debacle was the start of it.
>
> I pity the steadfast in Canada. They are fighting a losing
> battle.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jerry
>
>

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#45]
That is some of the most idiotic, ignorant, and sickening things I've ever read about AR's...

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Dibs on "Maiming Hose"!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Thats Canada for you.

Really Cold weather makes folks stupid.

fixed it for you. We in MN are not that stupid although they do eat Lutefisk up here
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#48]

"At least one shot was fired at police, ricocheting off of the windshield of a cruiser, leaving a hole and slightly injuring an officer in the vehicle."

Yes, it is an incredibly DEADLY weapon, BUT the round won't go through a windshield?
Man - what a bunch of tards.

And for the record, cold weather is supposed to make you smarter.
You have to adapt to a more hostile climate, you can't farm, so you have to eat meat and hunt, which leads to larger brain capacity, etc etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top