Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 7:59:25 PM EDT
Got some stuff out of storage and one of the items was a toaster.  I felt like eating some toast, but was concerned about the buildup of dust, dirt, grime and creepy crawlies that might have lived inside while it was at the storage unit.  I wanted to clean it out and turned it over to shake out any crumbs/dirt and the label on the bottom said "Do NOT immerse in any liquid!"

Well, I hate being told I can't do something.  I figure the warning really only applied to those who might submerge the toaster while still plugged in, not me.  So I stick the thing in the dishwasher and let it run.  Then I put it on my dish drying rack to let any excess water drip out or evaporate, and forgot about it for a couple of days until today.  I wanted some toast with my chili.  So, with some trepidation I plug the toaster in and press the lever.  A small bit of smoke, then the wires got hot - yeah toast!

No fires, nothing burned down, no JBTs showed up to shoot my dog.  That is all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
holy shit
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
OH SNAP
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Next time leave it plugged in for a pretty light show
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope they don't allow you to breed     Jking
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You and my Mother.

I end up buying all her gadgets for her as gifts.

I got her the microwave, I got her the VCR, this ended up being my fault.

She spilled OJ on the VCR remote, dont ask me why, she thought it would be a good idea to zap it for a little bit.

<sigh>

Needless to say I had to buy her a replacement remote. She still doesnt think that its very funny.

One day I will tell about the time she........Second thought,. no I wont.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My Potassium is developing some surface oxidation. I've been thinking about tossing it into the dishwasher to get it off, but the warning label on the bottom says not to submerge it in water.

Well I don't like things telling me what I can't do, so I pu.. KABOOM!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
They should give you your own show, like Mythbusters.

Next, bust the myth that you should not stick your tongue in a lightsocket.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
No problem. The industry uses dishwashers to wash electonic boards. Won't hurt em a bit. Wash away. Just make sure it ain't pugged in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No problem. The industry uses dishwashers to wash electonic boards. Won't hurt em a bit. Wash away. Just make sure it ain't pugged in.

Yes, but they use distilled water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I'm going to tell you that you can't breathe with a plastic bag over your head.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1.  What's the big deal.  It's....water.   Hopefully, nothing in a toaster is water-soluble!  The only issue on electronics is oxidation of exposed electrical contacts, and drying quickly mitigates this.  It's not 18 molar nitric acid, people...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Way to push the envelope there...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No problem. The industry uses dishwashers to wash electonic boards Glocks. Won't hurt em a bit. Wash away. Just make sure it ain't pugged in the fuse is fully dried afterwards.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Only on ARFcom.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Next week's episode: Running with scissors...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I dont see what hte big deal is. I have heard of people washing all kinds of shit in their dishwashers, such as computer keyboards,etc.

To remove protein deposits, right?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont see what hte big deal is. I have heard of people washing all kinds of shit in their dishwashers, such as computer keyboards,etc.

To remove protein deposits, right?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#22]
He who dares, wins!

You didn't  let The Man tell you what you can and can't do with your toaster, and as a result, you have grime-free toast. Kudos!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Your such an Anarchist

You should write your own book
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]
What's the big deal?  As long as there's no current running through it and you allow it to COMPLETELY dry after you're done cleaning it, it will be fine.

My mom dropped her cell phone in the water for several seconds... I was there and grabbed it, took the battery off of it IMMEDIATELY, shook all the water I could out of it, set it in front of their dehumidifier and told her not to use it for a week.

It works fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Shouldn't be a problem at all as long as it is given time to dry thoroughly, preferably disassembled.

I have taken keyboards apart and run them through the dishwasher.  Let them air-dry, preferably in front of a fan, and voila:  no more Dr. Pepper in the keyboard.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top