Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 11:17:10 AM EDT
So... who really has the "skinny" on mixing acetone with gas in your vehicle.  Does it really improve gas mileage as many claim or is it a hoax.  If you did get positive results, is there any side effects??
Let us know your personal experience with acetone as a fuel additive.

lawdog
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]
leave the funky stuff our of your gas tank.

except for tums.  if you drop two tums in twenty gal of gas it will work!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of this, but I will tag nonetheless.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
if your car can advance the timing enough, maybe

alot of racing buddies use something called Toluene it can be had a hardware stores.  Its has extremely high octane.  Thing is, the gooberment would be pissed cause u didnt pay a road tax on it.  Whats the difference in Jet A and Kerosene, the color of the dye.

Toluene is just methyl Benzene
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the gas additives (STP, etc) are 99.9% Toluene.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I've looked at running a toluene injection system on my turbo, but thats for performance reasons. Never heard of anyone running acetone though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Try some TriNitroToluene.  That will give your engine a serious boost.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
only if you smoke it out of a hooka pipe
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Since acetone runs about $14 a gallon, it would not seem to be an economical way to boost mileage.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thing is, the gooberment would be pissed cause u didnt pay a road tax on it.  Whats the difference in Jet A and Kerosene, the color of the dye.

Diesel and heating oil ring a bell also?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
What I have read is that it takes maybe 2 ounces per 10 gallons of gasoline to increase the miles per gallon of most vehicles up to 35% because it gives the fuel more vapor (I don't know the scientific for increased vapor ability) and burns the fuel completely thereby also reducing emissions.  Search the terms "acetone" AND "gasoline" and see the results for yourself.  Anyone want to be a ginny(sp) pig??

lawdog
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Since acetone eats and softens plastic and rubber do you REALLY think it's a good idea?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Since acetone eats and softens plastic and rubber do you REALLY think it's a good idea?

Is that a hole in your gas line....or are you just happy to see me?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]

The literature says this is a myth and not true at all
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have done it.  Truck is a 90 chevy 1/2 ton with a 350 and TBI.  HEard about it and thought what the hell.

Never noticed ANY MPG gains with 4oz per 10 gallons, though that may have been too much.  It did seem ot gain some HP, but that is subjective.  I need to experiement more to get a better idea of what works and what don't, perhaps I have too much in there.

Basic premise is that 2-4oz per 10 gallons will increase milage by 10-30%, but too high a concentration and milage will plummet significantly.  Supposedly the engine will run cleaner, and produce less emmissions, and beautiful women will come out of the woodwork offering themselves to you.....

Even if there were a 10% gain in milage, the acetone would save you like $160 if you went from 20-22 mpg.  I am still on the fence, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

P.S. get a good funnel, and a glass or metal measuring cup, and possibly use the pint size containers of acetone because they are alot easier to pour without spilling PAINT THINNER all over the place.  The stuff eats polycarbonate measuring cups like Rosie through a box of twinkies.  Then there is the spilling it on you paint issue.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
What is agreed upon is that it is BAD to spill acetone on your paint job.  Whoever tries the experiment (I don't drive all that much any more) please let us know your results.  thanks.

lawdog
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
So all this research into low emission vehicles and increasing fuel economy is a sham, since all we need to do is add a tiny bit of acetone and all our problems are solved?

If something seems too good to be true...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]

You could always try adding this to your gas and oil and washer fluid and refrigeration and and and and and and and
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A couple ounces in a tank of gas aren't going to 'eat' anything.......

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Short answer:  No.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Dunno - interesting theory though.   This is fact however: all things being equal, the HIGHER the octane, the more gasoline you burn. The lower the octane, the less you use.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

DUDE ...

Do you know exactly what the compositions are of all plastics in your fuel delivery system, from the fuel pump gasket and impeller to the gas line itself, to the o-ring on your injector, and everything else in there?  I use acetone on a regular basis and it will completely dissolve some plastics.  Why don't YOU try it consistently for a year or three and get back to us?  The cost savings is not worth having to replace all fuel delivery components imho.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Shitload of hits on Google...

pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#23]
This should help out a little.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

OOOOOOOOOOK, My dad is/was a chief test Engineer at Areoquip. They make hoses and such, I do believe I will trust someone with 4 degrees over you, as they used to test with acetone for NDT and Destructive Testing. While it will not harm SOME plastics, it will dissolve others on contact. Even gasoline and hydraulic fluid resistant ones. While it will not destroy it on contact when mixed with gas, how about when you pour it down the tank? Exactly what is THAT made of, {hint, think rubber or plastic hoses or fittings} A great deal of the fuel line is plastic or the barbs are, injectors need very little to partially plug them. Pressures from newer vehicles are around 50 to 60 PSI or so, I really don't want degraded fuel lines and fittings under pressure to begin leaking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Really?  Acetone will screw up the paint on your car... don't believe me?  Go spill some down the side of your car while you are trying to put some in your gas tank.  

Acetone will soften and break down many rubbers and plastics, AND paints.  Acetone is the best solvent for superglue (alpha cyanoacrylate), too.

It belongs in fingernail polish remover, not in your gas tank.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Try some TriNitroToluene.  That will give your engine a serious boost.

"TNT"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Check your tire pressures......change the air filter and spark plugs........clean the paint brushes with the acetone.......
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#28]
The only thing you should put in your gas tank is  gas.

The only thing I did that improved milage was swtcih to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 and cleaned the MAF. Got me almost 2.7 mpg after a few hundred miles of driving.  Replace the air and oil filters often, keep tires at proper pressure etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#29]
If it worked BP would sell it! Think about it for 15 cents a tankfull more you would get 30% better mileage. They would market it for 30 cents more a gallon and it would be worth it.

Fish Carbureators, Magnets in the tank, Tornado Intakes, Blah Blah Blah.

If this shit worked GM or BP would patent and market it RIGHT NOW!

Diesel fuel has twice the work per gallon as Gasoline. Buy a TDI VW, Mercedes diesel, Jeep liberty CRD. You dont get twice the milage due to parasitic losses due to the ultra high compression but it is at least 40% better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top