Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 2:53:41 PM EDT
The sheriff's deputy was off duty(no uniform on), in his personal vehicle and he pulled up alongside a car and signaled another car to stop.  They did so (I wouldn't have).

He pulls in behind em, gets out and starts to walk towards the car.  As he does so, the driver hangs his hand outside the window.  The deputy freaked out and fired 8 shots at the car.  No one in the other car was hit.

He said he "thought" he saw a gun in the guy's hand.  It turned out to be a cellphone.

They never said why he even stopped the car either.

And no I don't have a web link, I just heard about it on the radio driving back from corpus.

eta: Oh and the sheriff's office said he did everything right.  I guess they teach em to shoot first and look what you're shooting at later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
he better get fired
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey . . . at least he went home safe . . .
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Later reports will show there was a bobble head dog on the rear deck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
According to ksat this evening, he was in uniform. They threw a beer bottle at his car. The female driver of the car was charged with DUI and the male who threw the bottle was arrested on a prior warrant. He was supposed to have made threating gestures and appeared to have a gun.  I am sure more details will be forthcoming. The deputy remains on duty.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
According to ksat this evening, he was in uniform. They threw a beer bottle at his car. The female driver of the car was charged with DUI and the male who threw the bottle was arrested on a prior warrant. He was supposed to have made threating gestures and appeared to have a gun.  I am sure more details will be forthcoming. The deputy remains on duty.

Ok, if that's true then he did the right thing.

Except why would they bother to throw a beer bottle if they had a gun?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Good thing they can't hit the broadside of a barn, someone may have got hurt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, if that's true then he did the right thing.

Except why would they bother to throw a beer bottle if they had a gun?

Sounds like a CYA story to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The sheriff's deputy was off duty(no uniform on), in his personal vehicle and he pulled up alongside a car and signaled another car to stop.  They did so (I wouldn't have).

He pulls in behind em, gets out and starts to walk towards the car.  As he does so, the driver hangs his hand outside the window.  The deputy freaked out and fired 8 shots at the car.  No one in the other car was hit.

He said he "thought" he saw a gun in the guy's hand.  It turned out to be a cellphone.

They never said why he even stopped the car either..

The story I saw said the driver threw a beer can at the cop, the cop tried to arrest him, and when he resisted arrest and fled he shot the tire out on the suspect vehicle.  Texas has some pretty lax use of force laws so this one may be okay in that state.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quickly now folks, badmouth the cop before more evidence comes out that he was in the right.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe you should edit your original post with the updated info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By :
Later reports will show there was a bobble head dog on the rear deck.

Who was tragically killed  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Always,always shoot first!Then ask questions later.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Had that been me in the car, the aggressor would not have walked away....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Had that been me in the car, the aggressor would not have walked away....

Where is that masturbation smiley?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Since he drew down and fired at them, I wonder if he's an arfcomer?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top