Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/27/2005 12:16:06 PM EDT
Dang kid solicitors and their parents! Almost drew down on one....

I have had three of the little bastards stop and ring my door bell within the last day.

I guess the sign on the door just doesn't cut it these days.

I just had one about 15 minutes ago, as soon as I opened the door (I was expecting my wife coming home from shopping) there was this little bastard trying to sell me something.

As soon as I saw it was a solicitor I slammed the door shut in his face.

Not more than 10 minutes later there is a knock at the door, I look in the peep hole (this time) and see an adult male standing at the door with the kid solicitor.

He rings the doorbell and knocks again, this time telling me that he knows I am home.

All the while Mr. Glock is in my hand.

I answer the door and this guy unleashes on me about his kid and rude and some other shit.

I let him get about 10 seconds into his rant and I go to close the door, he puts his arm out, shoves the door and blocks the door from closing.

I stepped back from the door and let it swing open, letting him see Mr. Glock.

He turns white and freezes up.

I yell to my wife (he doesn't know she's not there) to call 911 as there is someone trying to break in the house.

I wish I could have said something witty like "Call the police, there's about to be a shooting INSIDE the house".

Mr. kid solicitor's dad takes two steps back, then turns around and beats feet with his kid in tow.

I shut the door and then called the police and let them know what happened.

They sent an officer over within 5 minutes.

The only questions he asked were "Are you hurt?", "Did you shoot anyone?", "Would you like me to try find him" and "Do you have hydra-shocks in your Glock?"
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
to the whole thang
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Is this a humorous post, or did this really happen?

Why slam the door in the kid's face, unless he is being rude or something?  Why not just say 'sorry, not interested'?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Your neighbors seem to lack basic reading comprehension skills. There is no vaguery whatsoever in the two words, "No Solicitors."
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It happened.

Because I have a sign that reads "NO SOLICTORS PLEASE" posted right above the doorbell.

It's my fucking door and I'll god-damn fucking slam it in whoevers face I want to.

Quoted:

Why slam the door in the kid's face, unless he is being rude or something?  Why not just say 'sorry, not interested'?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I agree, lead by example in front of kids. Of course it is his GD door.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes, it is your house.  Was this kid even old enough to know what 'solicitors' means?  Are you talking about an 8-year old, or a 13-year old?

I don't see a need to act uncivilized over a child's behavior.  You're a grown man, set an example.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know why people can walk onto my property to ring my doorbell in the first place.  Shouldn't they have to have my permission to step onto my property?  Just because I live in a housing tract and not on a sprawling ranch property with keep out signs doesn't mean anyone should be able to come onto my property and ring my doorbell.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Slamming the door on a kid?  Grow up.

The adult thing to do is to sternly say, "Young man can you read?  There is a sign right here that says no solicitors."  

If the child tries to sell you anyway, you then ask to know where his parents are and you tell them.  They might be assholes and not care, but that is the adult thing to do.

Now, with regard to the parent forcing his way into your doorway, I would back up draw and yell to get back now.  When he does, you would call the police and report the attempted break in.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
So getting a door slammed in your face while soliciting when there is a "no soliciting" sign above the doorbell is now cause for someone to try and force his way into your home?

While I would have *closed* the door and not slammed it, daddy was WAY over the line when he attempted to keep you from closing the door.

Maybe the asswipe will get a clue and advise his son that "no soliciting" means *EVERYONE* and that his spawn isn't exempt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So getting a door slammed in your face while soliciting when there is a "no soliciting" sign above the doorbell is now cause for someone to try and force his way into your home?

While I would have *closed* the door and not slammed it, daddy was WAY over the line when he attempted to keep you from closing the door.

Maybe the asswipe will get a clue and advise his son that "no soliciting" means *EVERYONE* and that his spawn isn't exempt.

+1 I bet he had to check his pants after that mistake
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Haha! What an idiot. Regardless of whether or not you agree with KA3b, you must say that the adult reaching into the house was a BAD move.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
If it was a little kid, he might not have known what it meant (the sign). It might have been better to politely explain it to him (then he wouldn't bother any other like minded people either).

The dad was over the line though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I seriously doubt it matters one whit whether the child was 8 or 13, when I was a cubscout we were ALL taught what solicitors meant in regards to doing the Christmas tree Drives, selling chocolates, or bottle drives....

Reading Comprehension and proper education in regards to the matters at hand would solve many of these incidents.

I'd have slammed the door as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#14]
You never know those so called children could be midget ATF agents in disguise
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It happened.

Because I have a sign that reads "NO SOLICTORS PLEASE" posted right above the doorbell.

It's my fucking door and I'll god-damn fucking slam it in whoevers face I want to.

Quoted:

with that attitude and anger problem you should really lock up yopur fireams and seek some help
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
What were they seliing, candy bars for the school field trip?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Now see, this is why if I don't know the person standing on my porch or they're standing out of sight, I always answer the door with a weapon in my hand hidden behind my back. IF I answer the door in the first place.

Too many people forcing their way in when you answer the door these days.

Whenever we leave my younger sister and cousin at home alone (they're 17 and 15, they SHOULD be fine unsupervised for an hour or two) we always have to tell my idiot cousin not to answer the door unless it's one of us. Dumbass never even looks to see who it is, she just (literally) flings the door wide open and stands there with this expectant, vacant look on her face like maybe it's the ice cream man bringing free goodies.

We got sick of this serious breach in security and family rules, so I arranged to have it taken care of. I had a friend get a skin mask and airsoft pistol come knock on our door a few minutes after the rest of the family "left". We just drove around to the end of the block and parked the car, then walked down with my friend to watch him knock on the door. Once again, true to her idiot habit, she flings the door open. He ripped the screen door open, shoved her into the house and stuck the airsoft in her face while screaming "IS THERE ANYBODY ELSE IN THE HOUSE? IF YOU LIE TO ME YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD!"

She basically just broke down sobbing and whining and we walked in the door and asked her if she was going to be opening the door to anyone but immediate family anymore. After she calmed down, she said yes, then snatched away the airsoft and shot my friend in the ass with it to get back at him.

Less than a fucking MONTH later, the idiot completely forgets the entire incident and starts doing it again.  When it happens for real, I know I'M not sticking my neck out to save her stupid ass.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have had three of the little bastards stop and ring my door bell within the last day.

I just had one about 15 minutes ago, as soon as I opened the door (I was expecting my wife coming home from shopping) there was this little bastard trying to sell me something.

Not more than 10 minutes later there is a knock at the door, I look in the peep hole (this time) and see an adult male standing at the door with the kid solicitor.

He rings the doorbell and knocks again, this time telling me that he knows I am home.

I answer the door and this guy unleashes on me about his kid and rude and some other shit.

I let him get about 10 seconds into his rant and I go to close the door, he puts his arm out, shoves the door and blocks the door from closing.

I yell to my wife (he doesn't know she's not there) to call 911 as there is someone trying to break in the house.

I wish I could have said something witty like "Call the police, there's about to be a shooting INSIDE the house".

Mr. kid solicitor's dad takes two steps back, then turns around and beats feet with his kid in tow.

The only questions he asked were "Are you hurt?", "Did you shoot anyone?", "Would you like me to try find him" and "Do you have hydra-shocks in your Glock?"

Right on.  I fucking hate solicitors, regardless of what they peddle or their age.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#20]
To me that situation screams "Pepper Spray", not Glock.  That way you get the satisfaction of watching him in pain for a half-hour as the stuff wears off rather than just a couple seconds of him turning white and running.  It also should keep him in place long enough for the police to get there and cuff and stuff him for the attempted forcible entry.

Anybody still have a link to Treetop's Security Screen Door thread?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right on.  I fucking hate solicitors, regardless of what they peddle or their age.

Yeah we dont have a no solicitor sign but once a younger crack head looking minority lady came to my door asking if I would like to buy some cleaning agents and asked if sh could come inside and show them to me on some household surfaces. Well that set the final alarm off in my head I just told her look if you want to try and break into my house go ahead you will have to get passed a dog and an angry gun owner and slammed it in her face. Well guess what a week later a lady 3 doors down from are house got broken into she didnt even wake up they took all her shit :(
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The "kid" was about 12-15, I could not tell.

The two other solicitors were from one of those kid solicitor mills, the ones that hire kids from out of state to sell all sorts of shit.

My wife saw one of them get dropped off in front of the house on Friday afternoon, the bastard walked across the lawn and hopped the railing to the walk to get to the door.

He got the not interested/door shut.

The second one was early Friday evening (in fact I was watching Atlantis) when this bastard knocked, rang the doorbell and knocked again.

He got the open door / slam door shut treatment.

And how many of you guys answer the door with gun in hand?

I would of ignored the kid had I not been expecting to see my wife standing at the door with groceries...SOooooooo, it's kind of my fault, ok.
Bad situational awareness and all.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
because of this thread I am thinking I need an excuse for a opening the door gun :)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]
While pepperspray is an obvious hint, nothing says "NO!" like .45ACP.

If the sign said no solicitors and the kid didnt know what the hell it meant, he should have asked. It is the "adult's" fault for not telling them to leave those houses alone. Both solicitor and idiot adult got what they had coming.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Haha! What an idiot. Regardless of whether or not you agree with KA3b, you must say that the adult reaching into the house was a BAD move.

Slamming a door in a little kid's face is okay if you're an asshole(teenager's face is a different story). Getting pissed off about someone slamming a door in your kid's face and trying to force a door open is suicidally stupid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why slam the door in the kid's face, unless he is being rude or something?

Why? Because it will build a little character in the kid. Everyone gets a door slammed in their face a few times in their life, be it literally or figuratively.

Why not just say 'sorry, not interested'?
Sure, you could say that THEN slam the door.

The friggin' neighbor should have told his kid that he was being rude by ringing a doorbell with a "NO SOLICITORS" sign hung above. After all, no means no.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Slamming a door in a little kid's face is okay if you're an asshole.

I am. So what.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am. So what.

Do you park your car in handicapped spaces, so handicapped people make handicapped faces?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am. So what.

Do you park your car in handicapped spaces, so handicapped people make handicapped faces?  

No, but I like to kick the walkers out from under old people.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I feel badly for the kids who go to schools that force them to sell this shit. The school goes on and on to the kids about how important it is to help raise $, and how if they work really hard they can earn these great prizes. Then the kids feel pressure to succeed and/or to win these prizes. It's kind of sad really, it's not the job of the kids to raise $ for their fucking school. It's the school's job to manage their budget.

And not to mention it's not safe sending kids knocking on strangers' doors these days. You never know what kind of child rapist sicko fuck lives in your neighborhood.

I also don't like the parents like the asshole you mention in your post. He was the asshole!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am. So what.

Hey no offence, my wife says I'm a pushover, wish I could be more direct in telling people to F/off sometimes.

I grew up in a small town and am pretty polite with people and I make a good mark for solicitors(fortunately never buy what their selling unless it's girl scout cookies)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It happened.

+1,000,000,000
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not sure KA3B is getting the response he'd hoped from the members of this site.
IMO you created a very volatile situation because you can't control your temper.  With
your attitude you placed the lives of a man and a child at stake over a No Soliciting policy.
God help the next kid who knocks on your door to sell a candy bar or something.  I have a
six year old that will probably have to start selling candy to support his soccer team.  You
taught me a very valuable lesson as I will be very aware of the home we approach to ensure
there are not any No Soliciting signs.  If there are we will run like hell in case the person
thats live there is crazy.  

Edit to state that I do agree that the guy putting his arm in the door was just as stupid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I am not flaming anyone, but where is it written that you have the right to come onto private property to sell something.
I mean if I need a "candy bar" or some other useless item door to door salespeople are pushing, I 'll get my fat ass up and go to a store.

Just my .02

Travis
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm not sure KA3B is getting the response he'd hoped from the members of this site.
IMO you created a very volatile situation because you can't control your temper.  With
your attitude you placed the lives of a man and a child at stake over a No Soliciting policy.
God help the next kid who knocks on your door to sell a candy bar or something.  I have a
six year old that will probably have to start selling candy to support his soccer team.  You
taught me a very valuable lesson as I will be very aware of the home we approach to ensure
there are not any No Soliciting signs.  If there are we will run like hell in case the person

Edit to state that I do agree that the guy putting his arm in the door was just as stupid.

Then the whole event was a success.

One down...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It happened.

Quoted:

I agree with you most of the time, but lets get real -- How many 10 year olds know what "solicitor" means?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#39]
i think the proper corse of action would be:

to tell the little future fellon "NO" THEN slam the door on him.
As far as brandishing mr. glock to the hot headed adult attempting forced entry.
i see no problem there.  

OR you could start answering the door in a leather speedo,gag mask and a well greased anal intrusion device.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It happened.

Quoted:

I agree with you most of the time, but lets get real -- How many 10 year olds know what "solicitor" means?

I did.  Parents explained to me before I went "door to door".
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have a six year old that will probably have to start selling candy to support his soccer team.  

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do what KA3B did, not really my style at all....but damn it I can't stand people coming to my house trying to sell me shit.

Seriously if I wanted a friggin' candy bar for $5 I'd go to Starbucks or something.  I have NEVER been approached by a solicitor who had ANYTHING I was remotely interested in purchasing. Period. Have you?!?!

Why don't people just pay the damned fees for their kids to do whatever it is that they're doing? Make 'em earn the money by doing stuff around the house, cutting grass, ironing, washing clothes, whatever.

Going out hawking overpriced shit door to door is just ridiculous.

-Observer
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Some of you guys are complete 'tards.

I said the "kid" was 12-15 years old.
To me a "kid" is anyone who is younger than 21 years old.
He is not from the immediate neighborhood.

I opened the door and slammed it shut in his face.
Big fucking deal.
If you think that's showing a "temper" then you are a libtard and need to sell your guns and go live in a "kinder, gentler place".

Showing a temper would have been me in a kneeling position naked with an AR15 ready to unload 30 rounds of bump-fired fury while screaming at the top of my lungs as spit streamed from the corners of my mouth and sprayed anyone within a 10 foot radius.

Again, it's my house, it's my door, the kid was uninvited.
Fuck 'em.

BRB, I hear someone knocking on the door, I gotta get my AR15.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
because of this thread I am thinking I need an excuse for a opening the door gun :)

"....this is my opening-the-door-gun, this is my sitting-on-the-toilet-gun, this is my taking-a-shower-gun, this is my watching-tv-gun, this is my walking-across-the-house-gun, this is my getting-a-midnight-snack-gun...."
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"....this is my opening-the-door-gun, this is my sitting-on-the-toilet-gun, this is my taking-a-shower-gun, this is my watching-tv-gun, this is my walking-across-the-house-gun, this is my getting-a-midnight-snack-gun...."

I think I wet my pants....I gotta try that with the wife.....But I need it for the door, ect..

Great!!

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Again, I'll ask the question:
How many of you answer the door with a gun in your hand or within easy reaching distance?

I didn't the first time because I was expecting the wife.
However, it was in a "quick and easy access" location.

The second time around I grabbed the gun AFTER I looked into the peephole.

Should I have just let the guy keep knocking at the door until he went away?
I would have, EXCEPT I WAS STILL WAITING ON MY WIFE TO RETURN FROM THE STORE.

Last thing I need is some pissed off soccer dad going off on my wife.

I didn't pull the door open, I didn't raise and aim my gun, all I did was step back and let the door open AFTER soccer dad shoved it open.

I didn't scream at him or lose my temper, I didn't do anything except STAND IN THE HALL OF MY OWN FUCKING HOUSE AFTER SOMEONE KEPT ME FROM CLOSING MY DOOR.

Sheese.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Good move.  He was acting violent in my opinion. He got what he deserved,  I would of had the cop chase him down and charged with illegal entering.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I would say that KA3B's response so far has been overwhelmingly positive. I doubt he posted this "hoping" to get any specific reaction, but so far the reaction has been supportive.

Slamming the door in the face of a teenager (or anyone old enough to sell door-to-door) who can't read and comprehend English and persist on attempting to peddle some crap is not evidence of a temper. It's not "creating a situation". The situation was created when the mouth-breather in question failed to heed the posted sign. His attitude did nothing to place the lives of a man and child at stake; the father's actions placed his own life in danger.

I am pleased that you have learned from KA3B's experience and will instruct your child as to the meaning of "no soliciting" before sending him off door-to-door. Here's hoping that his new-found respect for private property and the wishes of others nets him great success in his fund-raising drive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Again, I'll ask the question:
How many of you answer the door with a gun in your hand or within easy reaching distance?

I do. Usually holstered and not actually in my hand.

There's a lot of weirdos that move through my neighborhood. The neighborhood itself isn't bad, but there's a Section 8 apartment complex about three blocks down and a bus stop around the corner.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Both parties placed themselves in a bad situation.
I try to be very conciensious of my surroundings and try my best to position myself
where I will never have to draw down on anyone.  In this case KA3B was justified
to be prepared to protect himself.  The situation could have been averted completely
with self control on both parties.  I lear a lot from visiting this website and yes I did learn yet
another valuable lesson.  A wakeup call to stay on alert even when hawking a
candy bar as anything could happen.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Someone asked about a door gun?  I have a front door and a back door and I keep confusing which gun is for which door so I have a door gun and a backup door gun.  

As far as the actions of the original poster, I would have asked if the kid could read the sign over the doorbell but I can see slamming the door as well since it solves things quickly.

As far as the adult, he got his free reality check and did not receive any physical damage or a police report for being a moron so I think he got off easy.  When he shoved the door he changed things from verbal to physical.

I used to live in a place where soliciters had to register and it was fun to ask the morons about that since they never did register and I enjoyed getting license plate numbers and saying I was going to call town hall about them.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top