Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 8:31:38 AM EDT
I have been up in the San Isabel Natl forest a handful of times. I just got back from a camping trip up there and like usual, I head down the pass to Leadville for my celebration dinner at Quincy's.

There is an area that the road goes through called Mount Massive Lakes, Inc.
It look like a normal, rural, residential settlement...except for what appears to be electric fence around the perimiter of every property, extremely conspicuous 'no trespassing' signs posted every where, I never see any people outside of the houses..ever, and there is a gate on both sides of the settlement that instructs drivers to stay on the road (since its bordered by electric fence this is pretty obvious already)

I have tried to find out something about it on google, but nothing significant pops up.

Is this really a residential community?
I have never seen a place more conspicuous about their desire to NOT have visitors.

Who knows something about this place?
Thanks (I am going to like to this thread in the Colorado hometown forum as well)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the barbed wire at the top of the electric fence pointed inward
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is the barbed wire at the top of the electric fence pointed inward

No barbed wire that I saw, just what appears to be electric fencing.
Place is eerily quiet...no one ever outside, although I do see vehicles parked in driveways.

Also, not that this is out of the ordinary, or a bad thing in any way...but pretty much every house has a big, crisp, clean, American flag displayed. Very conspicuous...I am not that familier with residential communities in Colorado (I dont live there) but it seemed like the displayed flags were almost following an accepted format for the community....all new and sharp, all big, all prominently displayed (which I really liked about the place)

The other thing I found was that the place is apparently incorporated. (as in: Mt massive Lakes, Inc) How does a private interest establish a town?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The lakes are WELL stocked with trout and are private property.  Fishing is limited to property owners and their guests.  Some people live there, but a number use them as second/vacation homes.  The electric fence is a recent addition.

Stopped a Quincy's and didn't even call.......I would have showered, promise.

SRM
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
There wasn't an electric fence there last year...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, they put it up about April or May.  Do you need me to find out the story?

SRM
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The electric fence is to keep deer/elk/Bigfoot out. You don't think somebody's going to pay $2Million for a crib in the middle of a beautiful forest and have <gasp> wildlife <gasp> on their manicured lawn, do you?

The flags? Familiarize yourself with the following two words: Homeowners' Association.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The lakes are WELL stocked with trout and are private property.  Fishing is limited to property owners and their guests.  Some people live there, but a number use them as second/vacation homes.  The electric fence is a recent addition.

Stopped a Quincy's and didn't even call.......I would have showered, promise.

SRM

DAMNIT!!!

I remembered that I exchanged IM's with a member a while back about that but I couldnt remember who

I will be back out there again though, I go at least once a year...you will get an IM next time.
If you are familiar with the pass, then you probably know the mine shaft accross from the parking area at the top....(down the jeep trail about 1/2 mile)....I go shooting up there everytime I go out to Colorado.

Next time I will catch up with you....for some range time and then the 20oz & sour cream/butter!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top