Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 7:26:07 PM EDT
now they fucking did it.

ASSWHOOPING TIME
Two Battalions from 82nd Airborne to Deploy

(08/31/05 -- FORT BRAGG) - Two battalions from the 82nd Airborne Division will begin deploying to Iraq to bolster security in advance of the country's upcoming elections and constitutional referendum.
The deployment involves approximately 300 paratroopers from Second Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment and Third Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

This will be the 82nd Airborne's third rapid deployment to provide election security within the last year. In September 2004, the First Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment deployed in support of the Afghan presidential elections.

In December 2004, the Second and Third Battalions of the 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment deployed to Iraq to support its national elections.

www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.military.reut/index.html
Army regulars alerted to aid relief
Military forces in along Gulf Coast approach 50,000

Thursday, September 1, 2005; Posted: 5:33 p.m. EDT (21:33 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The military is increasing the National Guard force on the storm-ravaged Gulf coast to 30,000, and 3,000 Regular Army soldiers may also be sent to help end lawlessness in New Orleans, officials said Thursday.

The boost would bring to nearly 50,000 the number of part-time Guard and active-duty military personnel committed to the biggest domestic relief and security effort in U.S. history after Monday's onslaught by Hurricane Katrina.

New Orleans' mayor, Ray Nagin, issued "a desperate SOS" Thursday, saying that violence and lawlessness have overtaken the city, and hope is fading for the tens of thousands of starving survivors still stranded. (Full story)

"We will not tolerate lawlessness, or violence, or interference with the evacuation" of New Orleans, Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff told a news conference. "I'm satisfied that we have ... more than enough forces there and on the way."

Army Lt. Gen. Steven Blum, head of the Pentagon's National Guard Bureau, said an additional 4,200 military police troops would be moved into New Orleans over three days and would be under command of the governor and state officials.

"This is not martial law," Blum told the news conference, adding that the Guard members would only support local law enforcement officials.

Each U.S. state has its own part-time National Guard force, which historically is at the command of the state's governor to mobilize for emergency duties ranging from police work to disaster response.

The Navy, meanwhile, said it was sending the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman to join an armada of vessels off the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.

The Air Force said it was adding a high-flying U-2 spy plane to the relief effort to take pictures to help relief efforts at the request of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The Army has put on alert roughly 3,000 active-duty ground troops from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to be prepared to deploy to New Orleans to help bring security to the flooded city amid looting and lawlessness, said an Army official, who asked not to be named.

The brigade-size force, likely from the 82nd Airborne Division, would engage in crowd control and site-protection activities, the official said.

The regular U.S. armed forces are prohibited by federal law from performing police functions unless authorized to do so by the president in a major emergency.

The Army official said, however, that crowd control and site-protection were not defined as law enforcement activities.

The official said another 240 troops from the Army's 4th Infantry Division at Fort Hood, Texas, also were going to the region.

Meanwhile, the number of National Guard troops in Louisiana and Mississippi will grow to 12,000 in each state in the next three days.

Another 6,000 in Alabama and Florida will bring the total in the devastated area to 30,000, according to Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita.

"It is a trying situation at best," Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, commander of the military effort in the Gulf Coast area, told Pentagon reporters from Gulfport, Mississippi, which was devastated by the hurricane. (Watch Honore's news conference)
Rules of engagement

Honore said the Guard troops were under command of the governors of the four states and that "rules of engagement" on how to crack down on looters and other lawbreakers would be set by the states, not the Pentagon.

Most of the nearly 15,000 active-duty personnel committed to the relief effort so far are Navy, including about 5,000 aboard the aircraft carrier.

Pentagon officials said Wednesday the number of National Guard troops would reach 21,000 by the end of Friday. Now the number will top 30,000 in the next few days, mostly in Louisiana and Mississippi.

The USS Truman would provide a major naval command post in the Gulf of Mexico, helping coordinate the actions of nearly a dozen other warships and supply vessels, including two Navy helicopter assault ships.

The Navy dock landing ship USS Whidbey Island also is leaving Norfolk to join the relief effort, the Navy said. Whidbey Island will bring the capability to employ a movable causeway to the region. Many bridges were destroyed.

The military hospital ship Comfort is scheduled to depart Baltimore to provide an offshore floating medical center with 12 operating rooms and up to 1,000 beds.

The Truman is capable of carrying more than 80 aircraft, including large helicopters. The Navy said it would carry additional helicopters from Naval Air Station Jacksonville in Florida to support search and rescue efforts.

Dozens of helicopters are also being used to help rescue trapped citizens in flooded New Orleans and provide food, water and other relief for destroyed coastal areas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Dupe, lemme find thread.  Hang on
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly right, i talked to my friend fresh in the 82nd tonight. He told me they'd know in a day or two if their going. Ive got some pics and a video he sent me of him on a 3 day live fire exercise. The video is them using up some leftover 40mm practice rounds in their M4's. If someone can tell me where to host the vid i'll put it up here. The pics too if anyone is interested.

I told him that some looters in the streets have some ak's, semi ones. His reaction was this:

Him: yea a warning order came down today from the 18th corps, which the 82nd is under
Me: damn
Him: the CO said that we'd know for sure within 24/72 hours
Me: ive been checking updates on the internet, shit that isnt on tv. Its like a war zone
Him: but it looks like shit is getting out of hand, so I think we've got a good chance of going
Me: yeah
Me: definately let me know what ya do
Him: we'll see how some looting cajun motherfuckers like my m4
Me: haha
Me: Some of them have AK-47s though
Me: semi ones im sure though
Him: it doesn
Him: 't really matter dude
Him: a squad has so much firepower
Me: heh yeah, thats true
Him: i got in from 3 days of live-fire at like 4:30am this morning
Him: a squad with a gun crew is so much of a force dude
Me: how is your hearing?
Me: i bet god damn
Him: haha
Him: think about it, you got one medium MG, two SAW's, two grenade launchers, 5 M4 gunners
Him: actually 7 m4
Him: i forgot team leaders
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Things were so dull when I was in.

I've sure missed out on a lot of fun, haven't I?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope they give them bullets.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Exactly right, i talked to my friend fresh in the 82nd tonight. He told me they'd know in a day or two if their going. Ive got some pics and a video he sent me of him on a 3 day live fire exercise. The video is them using up some leftover 40mm practice rounds in their M4's. If someone can tell me where to host the vid i'll put it up here. The pics too if anyone is interested.

I told him that some looters in the streets have some ak's, semi ones. His reaction was this:

Him: yea a warning order came down today from the 18th corps, which the 82nd is under
Him: the CO said that we'd know for sure within 24/72 hours
Me: ive been checking updates on the internet, shit that isnt on tv. Its like a war zone
Him: but it looks like shit is getting out of hand, so I think we've got a good chance of going
Me: yeah
Me: definately let me know what ya do
Him: we'll see how some looting cajun motherfuckers like my m4
Me: haha
Me: Some of them have AK-47s though
Me: semi ones im sure though
Him: it doesn
Him: 't really matter dude
Him: a squad has so much firepower
Me: heh yeah, thats true
Him: i got in from 3 days of live-fire at like 4:30am this morning
Him: a squad with a gun crew is so much of a force dude
Me: how is your hearing?
Me: i bet god damn
Him: haha
Him: think about it, you got one medium MG, two SAW's, two grenade launchers, 5 M4 gunners
Him: actually 7 m4
Him: i forgot team leaders

That conversation sounds about right.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure sounds like law enforcement activities to me....

Crowd control and site security/looter control..... HMMMM?????

Not martial law? Me not so sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Time to fire up the USS Alabama docked in Mobile and lock and load..
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If they want to move in, then they need to do it quick...They need to show enormous force to scare those animals sh!tless.  Hope they don't just stand around with all the fricking red tape....
 Just do it...

Well, either that, or they can go the other route, finding out who to shoot back at
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Time to fire up the USS Alabama docked in Mobile and lock and load..

Supposedly she's permanently docked there.

Last pic I saw showed her with a list though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Why the F*ck are all the politicians so afraid to say "martial law"?
Good god how many civilians have to be raped and killed by "pillagers" before it is considered a necessary measure.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:57:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sure sounds like law enforcement activities to me....

Crowd control and site security/looter control..... HMMMM?????

Not martial law? Me not so sure.

Agreed, the PTB are playing word games.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#13]
So I guess posse comitatus is no longer enforced?  Did Congress authorize US troops to be used in NO?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#14]
2/325 Airborne Infantry Regiment.  My old unit!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Army has put on alert roughly 3,000 active-duty ground troops from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to be prepared to deploy to New Orleans to help bring security to the flooded city amid looting and lawlessness, said an Army official, who asked not to be named.

Alright men, I won't lie to you. We are about to jump into the worst example of scum and villany on the planet, 'Nawlins.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I just heard from a very reliable source that Camp Lejeune is sending a large contigency of "Divers" to New Orleans as well...

I only know of one kind of Marine that is a "Diver".

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#17]
New Orleans is a quagmire.  It is our new Vietnam.  We made a mistake going in there, and we should just pull out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Bush never had a coherent plan for going in to New Orleans.  Bush and Rumsfeld are to blame.  When is Rumsfeld going to resign?  Some ground commanders were calling for 10x the number of troops.

Our supply lines are thin, and we can't get food or ammo to the good guys.  This whole thing was a mistake, and we should just pull out of New Orleans.

Our even being there is creating more thugs and terrorists then ever existed before.

Those poor people looting the Best Buy are the brave ones.  It takes a lot of guts to run into a building and risk taking fire from psychotic 'cops' and store owners.  The rescue workers staged 10 miles are cowards.  The 'cops' hiding in their stations are the cowards.  It takes REAL bravery to steal water from a Childrens Hospital!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So I guess posse comitatus is no longer enforced?  Did Congress authorize US troops to be used in NO?

This was my first thought.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Bush never had a coherent plan for going in to New Orleans.  Bush and Rumsfeld are to blame.  When is Rumsfeld going to resign?  Some ground commanders were calling for 10x the number of troops.

Our supply lines are thin, and we can't get food or ammo to the good guys.  This whole thing was a mistake, and we should just pull out of New Orleans.

Our even being there is creating more thugs and terrorists then ever existed before.

Those poor people looting the Best Buy are the brave ones.  It takes a lot of guts to run into a building and risk taking fire from psychotic 'cops' and store owners.  The rescue workers staged 10 miles are cowards.  The 'cops' hiding in their stations are the cowards.  It takes REAL bravery to steal water from a Childrens Hospital!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top