Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 8:53:53 AM EDT
Who is going to pick up the check for rebuilding a large costal city that is below sea level and boarded by a large lake and very large river? How do you feel about tax payers paying?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You and me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Everybody*

*except the people who stayed behind to trash it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Who is going to pick up the check for rebuilding a large costal city that is below sea level and boarded by a large lake and very large river?

Look in a mirror.  The answer to your question will be staring back at you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a tourist Town....so is pompai. Both smashed by desaster. Pompia ia still making money.
If I lived there I would move I sure many who have lost everything will. I guess the question is SHOULD NOLA be rebuilt?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
silly peeon.....that's what TAXES are for...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#6]
There will likely be a large Civil Works appropriation in the next Energy and Water bill.

The project will likely involve raising the height of the levees and increasing pumping capacity.  Precast parapet panels will be bolted to the existing floodwalls raising their heights 6-8 feet.   Also I would think that replacement homes/structures will have to raised to some degree.

There is currently a Dam Safety Assurance (DSA) program currently underway in the Huntington District Corps where existing dams are raised based on new 100 year flood data.  

So to answer your question, our taxes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]
To rebuild would be asinine, it should never have been in the first place.  But alas, the dumbasses of the world will prevail and our hard earned tax dollars will rebuild it .   Then when this happens again, and it will someday the people can bitch and moan about what a terrible thing has occurred.  Fool me once, shame on you... Fool me twice, I had it comming....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Well it sure won't be the good people you see being rescued and relocated because most of them pay no taxes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I feel a hell of a lot better rebuilding N.O. than i do rebuilding what we blow up in Afg + Iraq !!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
According to the experts on FOX News, any building with toxic mold will have to be demolished. All the flooded buildings are being attacked by toxic mold. You're going to be paying for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
To rebuild would be asinine, it should never have been in the first place.  But alas, the dumbasses of the world will prevail and our hard earned tax dollars will rebuild it .  

Times one gazillion.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The American Taxpayer
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I made my first payment last April 15, with many more to come.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I think Saudia Arabia should fork the bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top