Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2005 1:48:41 AM EDT
Got this from Glock talk.

I think its messed up to do this and unprofessional.

I was working at a local bank today. The bank was closed, with no bank employees there. One of my co-workers, upon returning from outside, announced "Police here". This particular co-worker's English skills leave a bit to be desired. I was somewhat busy reviewing some documents, and didn't pay him much attention.

Very shortly thereafter, in walked 2 patrol officers. They stated they were responding to an alarm. The alarm company had reported an alert in the vault area. Since my accomplices had been using a jackhammer within 1 foot of the vault, the officers thought they should investigate further.

Since Oklahoma Self Defense Act requires immediate notification of LEO's upon official contact, I thought it would be a good idea to let them know I was packing. It looked like things could get a little ugly before everything got sorted out.

ME: I need to let you know I'm legally armed. I'm carrying a concealed weapon.

OFFICER: Turn around and put your hands behind your back!
BWAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!

They both busted up laughing (as I was turning around). I got the feeling that wasn't the first time they had pulled that.

Edited to fix spelling and note that I got this from Glocktalk.  I did not post there because it was in the coptalk section and GT will ban you faster than the DU.  If you think the story is BS then consider it as a hypothetical.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean (meow)? I don't see (meow) anything out of the (meow) ordinary there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What do you mean (meow)? I don't see (meow) anything out of the (meow) ordinary there.

Exactly.  And this was not just a routine stop.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
They flipped the joke on you... by saying what you "expected" them to say... when they already realized that you guys were there legitimately?

I'd laugh my ass off too!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Gee, why don't we find something to bitch about....

This reminds me of the time my brothers, nieghbor's aunt once heard about this guy that told them about a deal that happened to his sister's cousin. So it has to be true....

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

1. It was not me I got it off of GT

2. Your a cop not a CHL holder so you have  little different perspective.

If I was a cop I would think it was funny too.  Just like the Supertoopers reference.  All those jokes are funny unless you are the guy scared you are about to be taken to jail.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Gee, why don't we find something to bitch about....

This reminds me of the time my brothers, nieghbor's aunt once heard about this guy that told them about a deal that happened to his sister's cousin. So it has to be true....

OK assume it i untrue.  i am not bitching either.  I am asking if it is OK.  NPD233 says it is.  Thats fine.  But he is a LEO. So ofcourse he thinks its funny.  I want to hear from CCW/CHL holders.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Of course you would.  You're a weasel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course you would.  You're a weasel.

Explain?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
aka, social whimp.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
aka, social whimp.

Around someone who can arrest me you are right.  I cannot legally joke with cops.  

Around people who don;t have the power to arrest me I would not care.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Meow you really fucked that up!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
aka, social whimp.

Maybe so, but I'm sure he could spell 'wimp'.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
aka, social whimp.

Maybe so, but I'm sure he could spell 'wimp'.

OMG!!!   BURRRRNN!!!!  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Got this from Glock talk.

I was working at a local bank today. The bank was closed, with no bank employees there. One of my co-workers, upon returning from outside, announced "Police here". This particular co-worker's English skills leave a bit to be desired. I was somewhat busy reviewing some documents, and didn't pay him much attention.

Very shortly thereafter, in walked 2 patrol officers. They stated they were responding to an alarm. The alarm company had reported an alert in the vault area. Since my accomplices had been using a jackhammer within 1 foot of the vault, the officers thought they should investigate further.

Since Oklahoma Self Defense Act requires immediate notification of LEO's upon official contact, I thought it would be a good idea to let them know I was packing. It looked like things could get a little ugly before everything got sorted out.

ME: I need to let you know I'm legally armed. I'm carrying a concealed weapon.

OFFICER: Turn around and put your hands behind your back!
BWAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!

They both busted up laughing (as I was turning around). I got the feeling that wasn't the first time they had pulled that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. It was not me I got it off of GT

2. Your a cop not a CHL holder so you have  little different perspective.

If I was a cop I would think it was funny too.  Just like the Supertoopers reference.  All those jokes are funny unless you are the guy scared you are about to be taken to jail.

If I was a CHL holder I'd laugh my ass off too. It's not who you are, it's what your sense of humor is.

I knew there was a reason I don't go to GT. Why would you go to another website forum, snag a thread someone else posted there and decide to make it your thread here? Are you some sort of internet honeybee pollinating all the weapon boards? Do you send chain letters and stuff, too? Try coming up with something original.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#16]
A person with a CCW should never inform anyone that they are carrying.

I don't care what the law states, the majority of your Barney Fife local types aren't going to know it anyway.

My dad and friend almost got shot after he showed his permit to a cop during a routine traffic stop, again according to the law.

In both of these cases everyone involved would have been better off if the CCW had remained unknown to the officers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't care what the law states, the majority of your Barney Fife local types aren't going to know it anyway.

My dad and friend almost got shot after he showed his permit to a cop during a routine traffic stop, again according to the law.

In both of these cases the everyone involved would have been better off if the CCW had remained unknown to the officers.

In TX they are informed of it when they run your DL.

NPD233 = You are a cop not a CHL holder.  You cannot change this.  You have said your feelings. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#18]
who cares
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]
who cares
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was funny.......
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#21]
First I'd get the sand out of my swim trunks........................................

Yeah.................... I guess I should get as upset about that as all the stupid comments people feel they have to share with police..........

It wasn't me
I don't have warrants
Where is your donut
I'm not the one you are looking for
I didn't do it

And all the other hilarious stuff people feel the need to share.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
who cares

clean cut cares.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In both of these cases the everyone involved would have been better off if the CCW had remained unknown to the officers.

NPD233 = You are a cop not a CHL holder.  You cannot change this.  You have said your feelings. Thanks.

Well, now that you've labeled me by my profession, what's yours so I can do the same? Or should I just call you honeybee?

*Regardless of what I do for a living, my sense of humor would be the same. It's a product of my upbringing, not my career.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That is probably a good thing.  At least there, the officers have probably seen or heard of a CCW before and aren't as likely to draw down on the legal carrier.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, now that you've labeled me by my profession, what's yours so I can do the same? Or should I just call you honeybee?

*Regardless of what I do for a living, my sense of humor would be the same. It's a product of my upbringing, not my career.

Its like in sexual harrasment the man may find it funny but women do not.  Its all about who has the power.  The boss finds stuff funny that the employees do not.  You have stated your position now 3 times.  Everyone understands it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who cares

clean cut cares.

How do you know did you ask him?  Since you know I am not clean cut and you continue to call me clean cut that is similar to trolling right?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

In both of these cases everyone involved would have been better off if the CCW had remained unknown to the officers.

That wil get you in more trouble than you think  In Oklahoma the CWL regs state that you MUST INFORM a L.E. when he comes in contact with you, during a traffic stop etc.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#28]
1.If you work at a bank and often have to ask "Mommy. why am I so sensitive?"
This and many more is covered in my new book"The Pussification of the western male"
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Let us review your post:

First of all it is hearsay and not a factual first hand experience and the validity is in question.

You defend a fable that you yourself stated that is harvested off a site that has no authenticity verification.

You have failed to humor me and therefore a pittance post since you did not post any funny facts.

Summary:

You are trolling for Police bashers
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Let us review your post:

First of all it is hearsay and not a factual first hand experience and the validity is in question.

You defend a fable that you yourself stated that is harvested off a site that has no authenticity verification.

You have failed to humor me and therefore a pittance post since you did not post any funny facts.

Summary:

Nope.  I found somthing unprofessional.  I never claimed it to be true but did state the source.  If you want I can put hypothetical on it .  Seems most people here think it is fine so how am I looking for police bashers?  

It seems you don;t findit unprofessional.  Are you a cop? if so thats 2 for 2.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let us review your post:

Summary:

Nope.  I found somthing unprofessional.  I never claimed it to be true but did state the source.  If you want I can put hypothetical on it .  Seems most people here think it is fine so how am I looking for police bashers?  

Ok then, I'll indulge you... exactly what do you think was unprofessional about it and what do YOU think they should have done?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let us review your post:

Summary:

Ok then, I'll indulge you... exactly what do you think was unprofessional about it and what do YOU think they should have done?

I seriously doubt I can change your mind. But....

I am required by law to show a LEO my CHL when I am asked for ID (which is a little different then this guys story) so if they joke about they are making fun of the fact that I have to do that.  

They are also joking about what power they have over this guy.  Notice they waited till he started to comply before laughing.  

Also they have the power to arrest him.  They should not take this power lightly.  With power comes responsibility it should also come with restraint and professionalism.  

I am not saying this is a terrible thing.  And the cops in this senario probably did not mean any harm by it. But it would make me feel belittled and is the improper way to act.  

As a cop I would think  you don't want people to think informing you of something they are legally obligated to do is just a big joke.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd think the cop would be fucktards for the "joke"
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let us review your post:

Summary:

You did not find anything unprofessional; you are passing on rumors with an attempt to draw others into a speculative scenario.

No I am not, but that is your speculation once again in attempting to justify your post which carries no validity and is not factual.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let us review your post:

Summary:

You did not find anything unprofessional; you are passing on rumors with an attempt to draw others into a speculative scenario.

No I am not, but that is your speculation once again in attempting to justify your post which carries no validity and is not factual.

My post is not factual? I got the senario off of another board.  My post was my reaction to it.  So what is your current position? That the cops acted professionally or not?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let us review your post:

Summary:

I seriously doubt I can change your mind. But....

I am required by law to show a LEO my CHL when I am asked for ID (which is a little different then this guys story) so if they joke about they are making fun of the fact that I have to do that.  

They are also joking about what power they have over this guy.  Notice they waited till he started to comply before laughing.  

Also they have the power to arrest him.  They should not take this power lightly.  With power comes responsibility it should also come with restraint and professionalism.  

I am not saying this is a terrible thing.  And the cops in this senario probably did not mean any harm by it. But it would make me feel belittled and is the improper way to act.  

As a cop I would think  you don't want people to think informing you of something they are legally obligated to do is just a big joke.  

I'll agree with that, in theory. I definitely don't feel that officers should use their authority to make jokes at the expense of those they encounter.

However, the way your post read, gave me the impression that the officers "joke" was more intended to convey to the guy that they are aware of the need for him to notify them of the concealed weapon, but - that they are completely comfortable with average joe citizens carrying weapons, and not the type of cops who freak out when they encounter someone with a weapon. Thus, the "joke" wasn't really at the guy's expense, nor to embarass him or exert power over him, but a subtle way of saying, "hey, we're cool with you being armed."

Of course I think that this scenario ought to have played out differently from the get-go. An alarm at a closed bank... with workers inside using a jackhammer a foot from the vault? uh huh... very likely would result in all involved being put at gunpoint before things are resolved. A bank that's going to have THAT kind of work being done ought to have had some notification made to the police department so as to avoid any confusion when and if any alarm happened, or, on the off chance an officer just happened to "rattle the doors" and see what was goin on inside.

Worked a 12 hour shift last night and needing to get to sleep soon to recharge. Later.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How would you feel if a cop did his to you.  

Would you PLEASE fix your misspelling in the the subject line?  I can live without the question mark, but "did his to you" gives me the creeps.........
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I AM a TX CHL holder and thought in was funny as hell.

Also, I deal with state and local law inforcement at my office very often, but I can't imagine informing each and every one that I have a CHL and am carrying. If I'm ever ask for ID, it's in the wallet next to the DL, in a seperate compartment so they both can be pulled out in one motion at the same time. But for a casual cantact??
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought it was funny as well
and im always ready for a good cop bash this was just not good enough fuel to start it
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#41]
CHICKEN FOOKER!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I thought it was funny as well
and im always ready for a good cop bash this was just not good enough fuel to start it

was not my intention.  just wanted to know other peoples opinions.  We don't have a non cop forum so I cannot ask that only cops repond like the brthers of the shield forum can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not sure if I would've done that, but I often joke around with folks I interact with while on duty(of course when it's appropriate).

I've even had some seriously drunk or disorderly ass bats in my car and made CAREFULLY placed wise cracks about their situation. Funny thing is, most the time it works like a charm and they will calm down & go with it. No harm no foul.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Its like in sexual harrasment the man may find it funny but women do not.  Its all about who has the power.  The boss finds stuff funny that the employees do not.  You have stated your position now 3 times.  Everyone understands it.  Thanks.

I don't think it's like sexual harassment at all.  

It was clearly a JOKE that lasted 5 seconds, and everyone knew it was a joke immediately (as the story is described).  There was no harm done, and the INTENT of the cops was just to joke around, NOT to abuse power or harm anyone.

Sexual harassment is completely different, because the INTENT is to take advantage of people (ultimately harming them) by abusing power.  

I only agree that it is "unprofessional" if you definition of professional behavior for police does not include any opportunity for them to actually have a sense of humor, joke around, and be friendly.  So, yeah - it COULD be considered unprofessional, but I think it's a stretch.  Definitely falls into the "sand in the mangina" category if someone were to get really upset about it.

I once had a person at the BATFE jokingly threaten my immigration status - and we both knew it was a joke, and I laughed along with her.  Had I thought she was SERIOUSLY threatening me, I would have been outraged, but since it was clearly a joke, I laughed.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was clearly a JOKE that lasted 5 seconds, and everyone knew it was a joke immediately (as the story is described).  There was no harm done, and the INTENT of the cops was just to joke around, NOT to abuse power or harm anyone.

Sexual harassment is completely different, because the INTENT is to take advantage of people (ultimately harming them) by abusing power.  

I only agree that it is "unprofessional" if you definition of professional behavior for police does not include any opportunity for them to actually have a sense of humor, joke around, and be friendly.  So, yeah - it COULD be considered unprofessional, but I think it's a stretch.  Definitely falls into the "sand in the mangina" category if someone were to get really upset about it.

I once had a person at the BATFE jokingly threaten my immigration status - and we both knew it was a joke, and I laughed along with her.  Had I thought she was SERIOUSLY threatening me, I would have been outraged, but since it was clearly a joke, I laughed.  YMMV.

If this guy KNEW it was a joke why did he get up and start to turn around?  You knew the woman was joking the whole time.  In this situation they demanded immediate action, and only let him in on the joke when he complied.

OK I see 2 ways that this is funny.

1. HAH he actually got up.  

2. HAH he actually told us what a joke.

Either way is innapropriate in my opinion.  But YMMV.  I don't like to be toyed with.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Thats what I love about this place.
If the cops shoot a dog, they are evil
If the cops pull a joke that harmed nobody and reminded you that they are just people, like everyone else, they are ..... you guessed it, still evil.

I for one would have laughed my ass off afterwards and offered to buy a round after shift.

If you cant laugh at that, you need to get out more.
CH
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Thats what I love about this place.
If the cops shoot a dog, they are evil
If the cops pull a joke that harmed nobody and reminded you that they are just people, like everyone else, they are ..... you guessed it, still evil.

I for one would have laughed my ass off afterwards and offered to buy a round after shift.

If you cant laugh at that, you need to get out more.
CH

I would laugh my ass off if I was the cop.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#49]
title (21)1290.9c (oklahoma statutes)
  It shall be unlawfull for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state of its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detention or routine traffic stop.  

I think it's funny but what do I know. I agree it just shows the cops were cool with guy having a gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this guy KNEW it was a joke why did he get up and start to turn around?  You knew the woman was joking the whole time.  In this situation they demanded immediate action, and only let him in on the joke when he complied.

OK I see 2 ways that this is funny.

1. HAH he actually got up.  

2. HAH he actually told us what a joke.

Either way is innapropriate in my opinion.  But YMMV.  I don't like to be toyed with.

EVEN if the "victim" here thought for about 5 seconds that he was actually going to be frisked, or maybe put in the back of a cruiser while they checked his ID, WHERE IS THE HARM??

For the conduct to be truly "unprofessional", I think some kind of harm would have to be demonstrated as a result of their behavior.

Making a guy believe for about 5 seconds that he might be slightly inconvenienced doesn't really meet that criteria to me.  I mean, it's not like he thought that he would be gunned down, or raped or anything (for those 5 seconds), right?  He probably thought "oh great, now I have to put up with this until they call in my CCW"  

But, I do understand how someone could SEE it as "unprofessional", but I still think you'd have to be really thin-skinned and overly sensitive to see it that way.  But, just my opinion.  Like you said, YMMV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top