Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:37:41 AM EDT
Folks, we have a member who is need of our help, JB69 – John.

John has had some medical issues ongoing that removed his ability to work, and thus he is facing being homeless. His original thread can be found here, Life's little twists

I will save you all some reading and tell you that John is being thrown out of his place for non-payment of rent due to being out of work, and is facing some serious medical problems that need to be resolved before he is able to get back to work. He is out of money, and out of options.

Not wanting to see anyone homeless, Camy and I offered our spare bedroom to John free of charge, including all his needs such as utilities, food, toiletries, etc. We are also providing a phone with unlimited long distance, high speed Internet access, and high-speed cable. I also have some easy work for him to do helping me out with my business so he can have some money in his pocket to avoid being stuck here in the house all the time. Camy and I have further achieved medical insurance for John so he can get healthy again and return to work and his home in CT, should he decide to. We are storing his stuff here in my house.

JB has decided to take us up on our offer – a hand UP, not a hand OUT. However, this means we are faced with yet another problem: the cost of moving him from Connecticut to Arizona, which is pretty darn expensive. Renting a Uhaul truck and dolly for his car would cost upwards of $3,000, and that doesn’t include gas, food, and hotel stays. After some research, we have found a few companies who can accomplish this for right around $2,200, and John can drive his car out here. That still leaves the costs of gas and food, but better than a Uhaul!

Unfortunately, I don’t have $2,200 – not even close to that! I am disabled myself, and Camy works for the Sheriff’s department, so we are relatively poor people.

I am asking for your help to raise the necessary funds to move John from CT to AZ. $2,200 seems like a lot of money, but if only 110 people donate $20 to this cause, we can get John started on his new life. He doesn’t want welfare, living on your tax dollars as some would naturally do… He just needs a chance to get healthy and go back to work, and here is his opportunity to do so. And your opportunity to help a fellow shooter and American get back on his feet and stay out of the system. Of course, any contribution in any amount is greatly appreciated!

Please help, folks. I am accepting pay pal donations at richardh247@(remove me) cox.net, Every person who donates will receive a confirmation from me personally, and for accountability I will post your name in a thank you thread. There MIGHT just be a surprise drawn randomly for anyone donating over $20, as well.

It is time to come together and help a brother who needs a chance to help himself.

In advance, I want to thank you! We are shooters, a community and a brotherhood of people who need to look after each other. Time to prove the liberals wrong, open our hearts, and get er done! May God bless each and every one of you!

Please use this thread to let me know if you are able to help so I can make certain everything runs nice and smoothly.

Richard
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Funds sent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Richard check your IM.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Richard,

Thanks for offering a fellow member a hand up.
I only wish I could do more to help.

Phill

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Palmer

Reply sent

pv74

More?  Are you kidding?  Your generosity is far above what I would have expected!  Thank you so very much, bro.  You have an email coming shortly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
$$ sent to JB
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in.  I don't have Paypal, but I can send a check.  Where to?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]
IM sent
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Junker and Gary,

IMs sent to you both.  Thank you!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I just wanted to give everyone an update so you can the ball is moving forward!

As of the time and date of this post, we have funded $780 for the move in cash;

We have another $100 promised;

One extremely generous individual (I will not identify you, but please feel free to identify yourself) has donated a shotgun if we can sell it for what it is worth;

And there are many checks via snail mail that are promised.

So, all in all, the response thus far has been extremely gratifying.  We are not there yet, and donations are still desperately needed, but as you can see a little here and a little there really adds up quick.  A $5 donation...  A $10 donation...  These add up people!  

This goes to prove the power of people who come together for a united cause.  We are a selfless bunch, this group of family of gun owners so incorrectly portrayed by the media as uncaring, heartless, cretin fanatics who feel the need to do harm, rather than good.  Not only are we giving John a new chance at life - to be a man, stay out of the system, and follow his passion to return to work as a productive citizen - but we deliver a slap in the face to those who stereotype us as nothing but anarchists.

And I am going to say that I have never been more proud to be associated with a group such as yourselves.  I don't care if you believe in God, if you like 9mm more than 45, Ford over Chevy, or what color you are or what the plumbing in your britches resembles.  I am DAMN proud to have my name lumped in with you, period.  They can call us what they want, but this thread is proof they are dead wrong.

Keep those donations coming in, folks, and God bless you all!  Thank you for the thoughts and prayers, which are, in my eyes, even more important than money.  To those of you who so selflessly give your time and money - well, there awaits a VERY special place for you, my friends.

Richard
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, folks, as you can see from last update we are still not where we need to be as far as getting John the money he needs to secure the truck and accomplish the move.  We have a man here who could just accept a little welfare and sit on his ass for the rest of his life, burdening the taxpayers…  But he won’t.  

He’s already losing his home, and I know what it’s like from personal experience to lose everything.  It sucks.  The man just wants to get healthy and go back to work without losing everything he has worked all these years to get – which ain’t much, because as we all know, working for a living with your hands doesn’t exactly pay premium wages.  Like John, I was once an electrician before I became disabled, and I can tell you it hardly pays the bills.  SSI and welfare don’t pay em either.

So, while there has been some criticism from a very few members who refuse to help out simply because we are trying to get him a truck, rather than sell all his stuff for a plane ticket, I have decided to ignore their rude behavior and up the ante, so to speak.  

My donation to this is a prize in the form of a raffle for people donating a minimum amount.

This rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard MK IV, chambered in .270.  She has exactly 85 rounds through her of only the best ammunition.  Fluted and ported bolt, synthetic stock, and padded sling.  I am including the Nikon 9x variable Buckmaster signature series scope and rings as seen in the pictures below.  This is one hell of a nice rifle!!

All who donate $40 or more will be entered for this rifle.  If you have already donated in that amount, I will automatically include you.  If you have donated less than $40 but still want to be entered for the rifle, simply donate again to bring the total to $40 and then shoot me a PM telling me you did so.  

After I secure the truck for JB (John), I will put all the names in a hat and draw for it.  As the winner, though, YOU get to pay for shipping and FFL fees.  But that’s not bad for a $600 rifle!  I need at LEAST 20 people each donating $40 for this, though, or I will pull it because of its value.  

Here’s what she looks like, and for just $40, could look like in your personal collection:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
How cool is this place?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet a raffle count me in
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:How cool is this place?  

Awesome!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Folks, if you have pay pal funds to me, please make sure you let me know your screen name when doing so.  When I recieve pay pal funds, all I get is an email address and a short note, if you chose to include one.  I really have no way of knowing who sent what, and in what amount, if you don't tell me.  

I want to make certain I keep all of this straight so that anyone eligible for my Weatherby is included.  Plus, I want to make a big thank you thread when this is done, and I don't want to post names on the 'Net except for screen names.  PM me with your email addy, screen name, and amount and time sent so I can credit you properly, please?  

Richard
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Donated $30, parents wouldn't let me have any firearms in the house (I'm 21)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Time to move or transform your parents.

Thanks for the donation!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thank you sir!!!!!

As for the parents, get some Tannerite...

They will be forever changed!

21 YO and already you are willing to help others.  Man, dude, I wish I had your wisdom at your age.  God bless you bro!   You will not be disappointed in your generosity.  Karma works!!!  Trust me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]
PayPal sent...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
has he lost his house yet? If the foreclosure has not happened I may be able to purchase it and give it back to him on good terms so he can stay (no profit for me). I have not read any of the letters so dont jump on me just trying to help. LMK

If not I'll donate of course.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:09:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
has he lost his house yet? If the foreclosure has not happened I may be able to purchase it and give it back to him on good terms so he can stay (no profit for me). I have not read any of the letters so dont jump on me just trying to help. LMK

If not I'll donate of course.

That's a really cool offer bro.  But his house is a rental, so he is not the owner.

Where do y'all come up with all this generosity?  Pretty damn cool!  Thank you so much for a great idea.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Well folks, the generosity of some people never ceases to amaze me.  We are getting there!  And here’s another information update for all you not lucky enough to be at the range throwing lead at targets today!

First, I want to offer my most sincere appreciation to all of you who have offered your time, money, thoughts, and prayers to John’s plight.  Not everyone is capable of donating financially, and I keep getting notations of. “I wish it was more.”  People, let me tell you:  it doesn’t matter if you donated 1 dollar or 100 dollars; they are equally appreciated and needed.  Giving is not about the size of the gift, it is about the very willingness to ignore the natural desire of the human nature to be selfish and hoard what we refer to as ours.  

Some of us simply can’t give money.  But I need to tell you that every thought and every prayer is as equally as valuable as a monetary contribution.  You don’t need to believe in the power in prayer, but I do.  Whether you are on your knees with clasped hands or just offering a warm thought of success, we can feel that!  

John gets to go to court today to request a stay of execution for the eviction.  Please be in prayer for him.  He is providing the judge with all of my contact information to verify he fully intends on paying his landlord every dime he owes him, and we hope his sincerity in this matter will give him a few more days to finish packing and making arrangements.  We are still short the amount we require to secure the moving necessities, so those extra few days are needed.  John is just going to make payments on his debt as he can from here – which is refreshing with so many people these days trying to get OUT of their responsibilities.  

I received a PM last night from one of our members.  He asked to remain anonymous, and I will keep my word to him to reveal neither his screen name nor his real name.  But I know who you are sir, and your amazing offer astounds me.  You are indeed blessed, just as you have blessed John.

This gentleman has graciously offered to match up to $500 in new donations.  $500!!!!  I think I am in the wrong business, LOL.  So if you were thinking of giving to this cause but were a little hesitant, now is the time to get er done!  His match effectively doubles what you have to offer, and it is desperately needed.  So please, kind folks, let’s take full advantage of his offer and pick the man’s pockets so dry not even lint is left  J

Think about it: your $40 becomes $80, and you get a chance to win the Weatherby and scope package I put up as a raffle prize.  How can you beat that?  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I have already spoken to Richard thru IM but I want to publically thank him for his overflowing generosity. I have sent a donation and I hope that everyone will pitch in even a few dollars if that is all you can afford.

Do any members live along the route from CT to AZ that can provide a place to spend the night to keep moving expenses further down?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Guys, it is so cool of y'all to say if you win you'll give me back the rifle.  But think about it...

The rifle is my financial donation to John.  What have I sacrificed if not for the rifle?  And if I am beyond sacrifice for a cause I believe in, I am a hypocrite to ask anyone else for donations.  

The rifle can simply no longer be mine if I am to donate, too.  I originated this idea, knowing full well what I was doing, and giving is something I actually LIKE to do.  I don't have much, but I give of what I have.    If the need is beyond my capabilities, I announce the defecit  - but that does not in any way alleviate me from my responsibilities to the cause.  I simply don't have cash to give towards this move...

So I give a portion of my home to John, and my rifle goes to one person who decided it was more important to see John have a home than it is to buy their weekly ammunition.   While your intentions are honorable and appreciated, they detract from what I want to offer.  I want to offer this, not have to.  I give with a glad heart, and nothing would make me happier than to see John comfortable in his new, if only temporary home; and to see the Weatherby in some successful hunting pictures.  

If you do not want to be included in the raffle, I will respect your wishes.  But I will not keep her.  If you win the drawing, I will give you the option:

1.  Keep her and send me some fresh meat after she drops an animal as she was designed for;

2.  Deny her and I will give her to the next name out of the hat;

Or, 3.  Sell her and donate 100% of the money to the charity of your choice.  

Ok folks?

Again, thank you so much for the kindness, but I want to pass along kindness of my own.  The very LEAST I can do is thank a member by giving my rifle a new home where she is appreciated, donated in the name of John.  He is the real hero, here.  It takes a bigger man to deny getting in the system - he's fighting for the right thing to do, to get back up on his feet and go back to work.  I want to be a part of that.  Honor like that is rare these days.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]
i sent a little to his paypal last week...i'll try to send some more in a couple of days
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Dad always said to help out wherever you can, because you never know when it might be YOU that needs the help.

(It's amazing how much smarter he got in my eyes in the last 10 years...)  

Count me in.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Dad always said to help out wherever you can, because you never know when it might be YOU that needs the help.

(It's amazing how much smarter he got in my eyes in the last 10 years...)  

Count me in.  

Recieved sir, and thank you very much!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll send a donation when I get home from work. I'm in CT and could help him with the move.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#30]

eta:

Please IM any questions or comments.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll help, where can I send the M.O. to assist a brother in need?

--VT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Incoming via PayPal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
im gonna send a money order for 40 when i get the chance, it's not to win the rifle. But it is to help a fellow man out. wish i had more to send but im jobless myself. don't worry i am still a teen untill june heh.

edited to ask to send me payment info
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Funds inbound
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Donation sent! You are a good man! God will remember this.

Kris
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Money sent.

I still can't believe the good that thrives on this site!

Well done gentlemen!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

eta:

Please IM any questions or comments.

Received!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:27:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'll help, where can I send the M.O. to assist a brother in need?

--VT

IM sent sir!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Incoming via PayPal.

Got it!  Thanks bro!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
im gonna send a money order for 40 when i get the chance, it's not to win the rifle. But it is to help a fellow man out. wish i had more to send but im jobless myself. don't worry i am still a teen untill june heh.

edited to ask to send me payment info

IM sent! :)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Funds inbound

Splash!  Thank you, you guys are fantastic!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Donation sent! You are a good man! God will remember this.

Kris

He ain't gonna forget any of us that come to our neighbor in his hour of need.

Recieved, and thank you!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Money sent.

I still can't believe the good that thrives on this site!

Well done gentlemen!

There is a lot of good.  Today's society sensationalizes the bad, becuase that's what sells.  But there is much good that happens, we just rarely hear about it.  Funds recieved, and thank you!

Everyone,

Well done ladies and gentlemen indeed!  We are getting there, and there are still checks I have had promised via snail mail that I am not counting until I get them and verify.  

Several people from this site have donated, and very gratiously, and have asked to remain anonymous.  I understand the principle behind this, and I will respect their request...  However, I would really like to thank each of you members publicly, too.  

On just about any page in any forum there is bound to be a thread just filled with members bitching at each other.  We criticize religion, call each other trolls, and apparently mothers in combat boots is getting popular.  But we forgot about all that bullshit when it was time to get our dickbeaters off our johnsons and dig into them pockets for some ammo money to help out a member in need.  I want to thank you all for that very much.  When the metal his meat, we weren't afraid to help or concerned with John's religion, his mother's choice of footware, or any bullshit like that.

Way to go folks!  Let's keep the ball rolling.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Where at in Az, Phoenix?

I don't have much money but I could Help unload the truck when He gets here,
or we could go shooting or something.

My prayers are with him.

To all who have donated, to all those who want to donate but cant.... God knows whats in your hearts, you will be rewarded FAR BEYOND any mortal reckoning.

There are some damn good people on this board. It gives me hope for America.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Where at in Az, Phoenix?

I don't have much money but I could Help unload the truck when He gets here,
or we could go shooting or something.

My prayers are with him.

To all who have donated, to all those who want to donate but cant.... God knows whats in your hearts, you will be rewarded FAR BEYOND any mortal reckoning.

There are some damn good people on this board. It gives me hope for America.

Yes sir, in Phoenix.  The loop 101 and I-17.  I will DEFINATELY accept help unloading the truck!  I will have beer and soda and a BBQ with some good steaks.  Both John and I are disabled, so help like that is GREATLY appreciated!  

And oh yes, we need to go shooting!  Plus I need to load up on prickly pear fruit as my mom is canning a bunch of prickly pear jelly, so we'll send you home with an armload of that.  She does it real good!  

John is going to be here around the weekend of the 2nd or 9th...  Not sure yet.

PM me and I'll give you my phone number and exact directions to my house if you can make it.  

God does know the heart, and we, as a community stretched out across the US, will all be rewarded.  In fact, I think we already are.  Just being willing to give is reward enough for denying the selfish habits.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Someone commented that if each of the 360,000 churches in the US took it upon themselves to support these evacuees and helped get them back on their feet emotionally and financially the overall effect on the nation's psyche would be tremendous and the long term confidence of the nation to handle any crisis would relieve the burden on bureaucracies and put it back on the people who actually make this country strong, individuals.

AR15 is not a church but it's no surprise to me it's stepping up.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#48]
tag for later
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#49]
paypal sent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
paypal sent.

And received!  Thanks very much!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top