Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 9:07:41 AM EDT

Raining cats and dogs here today and no thing else to do so I'm gonna dust off the slow cooker. Any suggestions as to how that could best be done?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
1 large piece of meat
2 big bags of vegetables
1 slow cooker
1 Kitchen
1 woman

Combine ingredients allow 4 to 6 hours. Enjoy.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
   * 1 beef roast (rump, lean chuck, or other pot roast)
   * 1 can cream of mushroom soup
   * 1 can cream of onion
   * 1 can or jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
   * 3/4 cup beer

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours, until beef is tender. Serves 4 to 6, depending on size of roast.

-----------------------

*  1 envelope onion soup mix
   * 3 tablespoons flour
   * 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
   * 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
   * dash garlic powder
   * 1 bay leaf
   * 2 pounds stew beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
   * 12 ounces beer

PREPARATION:
Combine all but beer in slow cooker. Toss until meat is well coated. Pour beer over beef mixture; stir to blend. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours.
Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.

---------

Or my way.

Roast (if you want to be fancy you can flour the meat and brownit  in a skillet first)
Large white onion- quartered
1-2lbs of potatoes-chunked
3-4 large carrots split lengthwise then into 2-3" pieces
3-4 stalks of celery cut into 2-3" pieces
As much garlic as you like (at least one clove), just smash it and toss it in.
One cup of beef or chicken stock, one cup of water, (more or less liquid depending on the size of your cooker) a couple splashes of soy sauce

Vegetables go on the bottom meat goes on top. (the crockpot works best at 2/3rds or more full)

Cook on low for 6-8hrs or until the meat is fork tender.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Include a can of Coke in the mix.
1.  Sweetens the meat
2.  That acid in colas will tenderize like nothing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#4]
taggage
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#6]
3 1/2 to 4 pounds beef roast, sirloin tip or rump roast
12 ounces (jar) Italian Giardiniera, drained, less if you want it less spicy
12 ounces (jar) pepperoncini peppers
1 envelope Italian salad dressing (zesty Italian)
10 ounce can condensed beef broth
PREPARATION:

Place beef roast in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Combine Giardiniera, pepperoncini peppers, dry salad dressing mix, and condensed beef broth.
Add all mixture to crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 12 to 14 hours, until meat is very tender. Use a fork to shred for sandwiches and serve with crusty Italian rolls or crusty bread. Serves 10 to 15.

I like it on good bread with some provolone, and I use other types of pepper sometimes.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks guys I'm putting together some stuff and will decide which to go with.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
3 - 5 lb roast. Cheap is fine.
1 - Can Cambells Golden Mushroom soup (Do not dilute - use straight from can)
1 - Can Cambells Cheddar Cheese soup (Do not dilute - use straight from can)
1 - Package dry onion soup mix (Do not dilute - use straight from package)

Mix the 3 soups together in crockpot. It'll make a paste.
Put in roast and use spoon to coat all sides with soup paste
8 hrs+ on Low in Crockpot

Roast will be tender
Gravy will be ambrosia
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It's easy.

Just throw in a roast. some salt and pepper, cut up some carrots, potatoes, celery, and onions and throw those in. Sprinkle a little Dales or some worchester sauce and some hot sauce in there and turn it on.  So simple even a caveman can do it.  
( I hope I didn't offend any cavemen.)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Include a can of Coke in the mix.
1.  Sweetens the meat
2.  That acid in colas will tenderize like nothing.

Seriously?  I've never tried that, but it sounds interesting.  Does it make everything taste like Coke, or does it cook off for the most part?

Seriously.
The Coke will carmelize in the oven and give a slightly sweet, sugary flavor to the meat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
mmmm... tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
1 envelope onion soup
8oz mushrooms
1/2 cup water
chuck roast

and tagged
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Pepper Steak

1 1/2 pounds to 2-lb. beef round steak
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 tomatoes, cut into eighths
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
2 large green peppers, cut in strips
1/2 cup cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Cut beef into 3- x 1-inch strips; brown in oil in a skillet. Transfer to a slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper, and ginger; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hrs or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green peppers; cook on low for 1 hr. longer. Combine the cold water and cornstarch to make a paste; stir into liquid in slow cooker and cook on high until thickened. Serve over noodles or rice.

I had to get the recipe off of a website, but I love it. In fact, it's even better when you use venison.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
yum!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't cook worth a shit tag.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
1 package of Lipton's onion soup mix.
1 can of coke.

Brown roast on both sides and cook on low for 8 hrs.  Nice, easy, and tasty!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
If anybody's looking for good old-fashioned cook'n with an Old West touch get a copy of Trail Boss's - Cowboy Cookbook.  Great recipes in this thing, I've had this cookbook for years, and it's never has let me down.  Most of the recipes are pretty hardy fair.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#22]
taters on the bottom
roast on top
to taste  garlic powder, add onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and a bay leaf if you like.
on low all day while at work.

thicken the left over liquid for an outstandng gravy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#23]
tagalicious
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]
pot au feu-if ya don't like frog food stop reading.
 1 piece boneless chuck-big as will fit in the pot(chuck or clod is essential -rump. eye of round etc ain't got enough fat/cartilage/gello).

Put in a pot of cold water, bring up to boil, and remove to your crock(this removes "scum"that would stay in your stock).

Add sliced onion, carrot, celery, a bay leaf or 2, a few peppercorns, a couple of cloves and/or star anise(very important for correct flavor profile) homemade or canned stock to cover, salt lightly.

Cook until tender. Remove and cut to pack into a loaf pan/meatloaf pan/terrine/ etc. cover and weight down overnight with a piece of cardboard and a couple of cans of something out of the pantry. Strain the sauce, put in cooler, pull off fat on top the next day.

To serve, cook potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbage, pearl onions etc(any root veg) in the stock till done. remove the meat from the mold, slice thickly(it'll hold its shape), reheat in the stock, and serve with veg and jus.

Pass course salt and dijon mustard on the side. Simple green salad and cheese after with a bottle of vino works well.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#25]
roll a lean roast in flour, salt and pepper.

Brown the hell out of the outside of it in a frying pan with some butter or oil.

toss that sucker in the crock pot.

Cut up an onion and dump it in, also a big carrot, some potatos, and maybe some other veggies.

pour in a couple of cups of beef stock, and a couple of cups of red wine.

let that sucker cook all day.

should taste good eventually.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
step one call mom and whine

step two LETS EAT!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Big time tag...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#30]
This is how I make mine.

Big Ol' Pot, put on stove on HIGH

Cut up some onions and celery put them in the pot with some butter or oil till they get almost see through
Take the meat rub some garlic powder, pepper on it
Throw it on top of the onions fat side down first, the fat will give enough moisture to keep the onions from burning.
Brown all the other sides.
Add some water or vegetable/beef stock and rub all the brown stuff that stuck to the bottom of the pot, that is all great flavor that will burn if you don't rub it into the liquid.
Throw in a tall glass of water or stock everytime it starts to bubble.
When it is about half way add some soy sauce, worshtishire (sp) and just a splash of vinegar
Keep adding water or stock till you covered the meat over about an inch.

Simmer till whenever, I usually leave on at least 3 hours. Just before your ready to dish up, take cover off and turn up the heat let the liquid reduce by half.  Take out the meat and put in large bowl. Let it liquid in pot cool down a little or you will get lumps. Mix up some water and flour in cup and mix with the liquid turn up heat again till you start to get bubbles and there is your awesome gravy. Add seasonings to taste, but shouldn't need any.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#31]
tag. I've got a slow cooker around here somewhere....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Place roast in slow cooker / crock pot 11 hours before you want to eat.

Dump in 3-6 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce or if you roll your own then a like amount to cover the roast.

Cook on 1 1/2 or 2 for 11 hours.

Don't take the cover off of it for ANY reason.

Shredded BBQ roast beef sandwiches, shredded BBQ roast beef burritos, shredded BBQ roast beef and mashed potatos, shredded BBQ roast beef and rolls......
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Pressure cooker!  Your pot roast will be ready in 1 hour.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Place roast in slow cooker / crock pot 11 hours before you want to eat.

Dump in 3-6 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce or if you roll your own then a like amount to cover the roast.

Cook on 1 1/2 or 2 for 11 hours.

Don't take the cover off of it for ANY reason.

Shredded BBQ roast beef sandwiches, shredded BBQ roast beef burritos, shredded BBQ roast beef and mashed potatos, shredded BBQ roast beef and rolls......

Works for pork roast or country style ribs too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Shortcut version of Beef Stroganoff

We make this about once a week and is one of my favorite things to eat at home.

Crockpot and 4-5 hours prior to dinner

1.5 lbs Beef Stew Meat
(1) Can Campbells Beef Consummee Soup
(1) Can Campbells Golden Mushroom Soup
(1) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
(1) Large Can/Bottle of Mushrooms
(1) small bucket sour cream
(1) bag egg noodles

Place all 3 cans of soup together w/ meat and mushrooms in Crockpot on High for 4-5 hours.
After it done I usually mix about a half cup of water w/ 2-3 tblspoons corn starch and thicken it up slightly to give it a more gravy like texture (read: not soupy).
About 5 mins before serving add small bucket of sour cream to the meat and mix well.  Serve over prepared egg noodles.

**another version is to leave out the sour cream and then serve over rice in lieu of noodles.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It's easy.

Just throw in a roast. some salt and pepper, cut up some carrots, potatoes, celery, and onions and throw those in. Sprinkle a little Dales or some worchester sauce and some hot sauce in there and turn it on.  So simple even a caveman can do it.  
( I hope I didn't offend any cavemen.)

The Geico commercials are funny as hell and your last line got me laughing my ass off.

Second, this is about all you need to do a good roast in the pot. Campbells soup mixes are your friend and can make things that much better but they aren't necessary by any means.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#39]
try using beer instead of water the darker the beer the better.

pretty much what i do standard recipe just i use beer instead of plain water.
makes a awsome corn beef
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#40]
funny..

tonight the wife ,tax deductions, and I were at the store, buying all the items need for pot roast. It is getting to be that time of year after all.

BTW for the caveman cooks like myself I found crockpot liners at the store it will make cleanup a snap.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#41]
tagged...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top