Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 10:07:47 AM EDT

I absolutely LOVE this...

In Florida, avoid disputes. Use special caution in arguing with motorists on Florida roads.

How wonderful. If people could come from other states and NOT act like assholes in the first place Florida would probably be a much nicer place and we wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

If you don't know how to act outdoors with regard to other human beings you can (and may well) be shot.

Of course they make it sound like Floridians can shoot you for anyting. In reality you have to be committing some sort of crime against another person but I don't mind the deliberate misrepresentation if it means our seasonal visitors will be on their best behavior.

Maybe the VPC could do a special poster for Canada indicating they may be shot if they don't observe local driving laws properly.

The propaganda on this one is hilariously sickening...

The Shoot First Law is an invitation to reckless use of guns in the streets of our cities and towns. Without the law, people carrying firearms in public places could use those guns against perceived threats only as a last resort. The new law eliminates a citizen's duty to avoid the threat, and allows the use of deadly force before other options. Below is some legal context to the new Shoot First statute. It is not a comprehensive analysis of all laws on this subject, or all the situations that may arise under the law.

Well gee dumb fucks how about if we DON'T threaten them in the first place?

The Duty to Retreat

According to a leading legal text, "It is a well-established rule that in order to justify or excuse a homicide on the ground of self defense, the slayer must have employed all means in his power, consistent with his own safety, to avoid danger and avert the necessity of taking another's life in order to protect himself." AmJur Homicide, Section 161. A person threatened other than in his own home or place of business is not justified in taking the life of the assailant, if a safe avenue of retreat is open to him. AmJur Homicide, Section 163.

Again, what if we decided it was WRONG to threaten those people? Just an idea.

The New Florida Law

The new Florida Shoot First law eliminates the duty to retreat and allows a person not engaged in unlawful activity who is attacked in a public place to "stand his or her ground" and use deadly force if "he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." Thus, even if the shooter could have safely avoided the threat by walking away or seeking refuge elsewhere, the Shoot First law permits him to shoot the assailant and gives him immunity from criminal prosecution and civil suit if he does so.

Yes how terrible. Somebody actually DO SOMETHING when some shitbag is going to harm someone or cause a forcible felony.

The Florida statute was passed over the strong objections of law enforcement officials and prosecutors. Broward County Sheriff Ken Jenne opposed the law because "it's easy to say after the fact, I felt threatened." Willie Meggs, President of the Florida Prosecuting Attorneys Association, said prosecutors are "concerned that it will provide a defense to someone who uses force that doesn't necessarily have to be done."

Of course Ken objects, it might mean we might address the issue of violent crime in this state WITHOUT his assistance which has been less than stellar so far. Perhaps if he was so effective this wouldn't be an issue in the FIRST PLACE. And yes Willie God Forbid you are not able to prosecute someone who legally protected themselves from violence.

Seeking Out Danger

Under the "Shoot First" law, as long as the shooter "is not engaged in unlawful activity" and is "attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be" the shooter has the right to use deadly force. Therefore, if a fistfight escalates to lethal violence, the shooter could receive immunity under the law even if he initiated the confrontation, as long as he "reasonably believed" that firing the gun was necessary to prevent a "forcible felony" or "great bodily harm" to himself.

Again, how about we avoid the issue altogether and NOT attack those people who aren't doing anything wrong? I love the stupidity of this complaint.

Sweeping Immunity for Negligent Shooters

The Shoot First law provides for broad immunity from civil suits and criminal prosecution for shooters who reasonably believed the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent bodily harm or prevent a forcible felony. Nothing in the law would preserve the right of an innocent bystander who was shot in the incident to pursue a civil action against the shooter for negligence in the handling of a firearm. The shooter could receive immunity for shooting recklessly into a crowd, as long as he reasonably believed he was in serious danger.

And that is a GOOD THING. Anyone who opposes this idea is a THREAT and SHOULD BE SHOT.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You can now be shot for driving more than 1/4 mile with your blinker on and not turning.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
They have a petition they're going to present to governor Bush at their web site. Willie Horton just signed it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck em, isn't Florida great SA?

List of my fav things about Florida:

Class III friendly
Gun Friendly all around
No state income tax
beautiful wimminz
good weather, aside from hurricanes

ETA: Do you have a letter size image of that? I wanna show my boss, he'd get a kick out of that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can now be shot for driving more than 1/4 mile with your blinker on and not turning.

Or not using one .

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They have a petition they're going to present to governor Bush at their web site. Willie Horton just signed it.

Willie just threatened my overall security. Damn I guess now we have to shoot him.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
As it should be with every state,

maybe some day that will read "Thinking about a USA Vacation"
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been advised of a potential terrorist threat that is scheduled to occur on Oct 31. It seems that terrorists in a wide varity of diguses are preparing to decend on neighborhoods in assault teams after dark and intimidate and harrass homeowners into turning over goods or face acts of vandalism and who knows what else. Thankfully this law went into effect just in time.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been advised of a potential terrorist threat that is scheduled to occur on Oct 31. It seems that terrorists in a wide varity of diguses are preparing to decend on neighborhoods in assault teams after dark and intimidate and harrass homeowners into turning over goods or face acts of vandalism and who knows what else. Thankfully this law went into effect just in time.  

Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
One thing I really love about Pennsylvania,is our state's
constitution .
One of the oldest state Constitutions in the United States.

If ONLY the Bill of Rights was taken as being so concise.

Pennsylvania State Constitution ,1793 (I think)

Article #1
"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the state SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED ."

How clear is that ?
A latter article  defines this as being extended to
cover family and friends as a part of "the state"
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Does this mean it’s open season on the blue hairs? What’s the bag limit?

Florida even likes us non-residents to be armed when we come to visit.

I'm thinking this might end up backfiring on the Brady idiots and keep the anti-gunners from moving down there and strengthening the pro-gunners political power.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Haha! Great day to be a Florida resident!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta love it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

It's a joke, hence the goofy smily. The next thing that the Brady Campaign will try to tell folks is don't let your kids go trick or treating because crazy Floridians will shoot them at the door and stack the bodies like cordwood.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's a joke, hence the goofy smily. The next thing that the Brady Campaign will try to tell folks is don't let your kids go trick or treating because crazy Floridians will shoot them at the door and stack the bodies like cordwood.  

I know, I'm not good at showing a dry sense of humor through text
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Alfred E. Shithead is on their side. He just signed the petition.

My customers are digging the website, too. Apparently it's pretty damned funny. (And sad, in a way.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top