Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2005 3:53:42 AM EDT
I got a speeding ticket, 72 in a 55,  in Mecklenburg county.  I was speeding, but i was wandering how to get a lawyer to go to court for me.  I live in North Carolina.  

What was frustrating about the stop was that I was completely upfront with the deputy.  Informed him I was carrying concealed and handed him my license and permit. The deputy told me he would have to confiscate my weapon until after the stop, for his safety.  I told him I disagreed with him having to do that.  I agreed to do it after making sure I thought he was wrong.  I then asked him if he was familiar with a 1911.  He looked at me like he had no idea what I was asking him.  Then I asked him if he was familiar with a 1911 .45 automatic.  His response was “I am about to be”.  I got out and he had me put my hands on the truck and he took my weapon and then had me get back in my truck.  He wrote the ticket and I signed it.  Then he had me go back to his car and handed me my unloaded weapon and told me not to load it till I get back to my truck.  After I got in my truck he came up to me and told me that Virginia , since July 1st 2005 no longer recognizes North Carolina's permit.  I told him I did not think his info was correct.  He said that most LEO's will let it slide anyways.  I checked all over and find nothing to back up what he said.  In fairness to the deputy he was cordial and all, I think he was simply misinformed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I got a speeding ticket, 72 in a 55,  in Mecklenburg county.  I was speeding, but i was wandering how to get a lawyer to go to court for me.  I live in North Carolina.  

What was frustrating about the stop was that I was completely upfront with the deputy.  Informed him I was carrying concealed and handed him my license and permit. The deputy told me he would have to confiscate my weapon until after the stop, for his safety.  I told him I disagreed with him having to do that.  I agreed to do it after making sure I thought he was wrong.  I then asked him if he was familiar with a 1911.  He looked at me like he had no idea what I was asking him.  Then I asked him if he was familiar with a 1911 .45 automatic.  His response was “I am about to be”.  I got out and he had me put my hands on the truck and he took my weapon and then had me get back in my truck.  He wrote the ticket and I signed it.  Then he had me go back to his car and handed me my unloaded weapon and told me not to load it till I get back to my truck.  After I got in my truck he came up to me and told me that Virginia , since July 1st 2005 no longer recognizes North Carolina's permit.  I told him I did not think his info was correct.  He said that most LEO's will let it slide anyways.  I checked all over and find nothing to back up what he said.  In fairness to the deputy he was cordial and all, I think he was simply misinformed.

The officer was a dick and a dumbass.  NC and VA have reciprocity.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The officer was a dick and a dumbass.  NC and VA have reciprocity.

AGREED

If he truly believed there was no reciprocity, he would have arrested you.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Your post doesn't state what you are looking for.  You want an attorney to go to court without you being present?  On what charge?  Speeding?  Weapons?  Is your citation a mandatory appearance?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
This officer was hoping you were more ignorant than he... since you weren't, he didn't push anything.

What do you want the lawyer for?  To go in your place?  To go with you?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your post doesn't state what you are looking for.  You want an attorney to go to court without you being present?  On what charge?  Speeding?  Weapons?  Is your citation a mandatory appearance?

Sorry should have been clear.  In North Carolina you can hire a lawyer to go to court for you and they work to get the charge lowered.  Understand I know I was speeding and am not trying to fight it.  Just hoping to get the charge reduced if possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top