Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2005 6:28:29 PM EDT
I want to refinish the wood on my CZ24 (czech mauser) rifle...it looks like the woods been totally stripped, as its very grainy (looks like they used a pressure washer on it..).  What do you suggset for me to re-do the wood back to its proper look/accurate finish?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Completely clean with Laquer Thinner, sand sharp edges and splinters from nicks to a reasonable appearance, then refinish with BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) for a factory finish.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
what about Tung oil and others?

the wood is already stripped i think..not sure
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Any finish will 'work', you could stain an poly it if you wanted to, but it wouldn't be 'proper'.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any finish will 'work', you could stain an poly it if you wanted to, but it wouldn't be 'proper'.  

alright thanks for the info, ..I just want this to be back in original configuration..thanks again, hopefully ill start this mini project tomorrw..

also, what about K98 Mausers?  Mine was a capture, and the Ruskies make the bolt extractor part or whatever a plum color, also the stock isnt original color I dont think?  It has an arsenal repair, but nothing I can do about that..

one more thing, what about WASR/SAR furniture..what to use on that?  I want to redo a wood set for my SAR-1 (which has black kvar on it right now).
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Most quality finishes of military rifles of that era were linseed oil as the oil penetrated deeply and sealed the pores well against moisture.  The fine stocks of commercial guns of the period, while beautiful, wouldn't hack field conditions.  The Soviets did varnish some rifle stocks, but that's far from ideal.

The plum colored bolt of the k98 is due to the process used in the rearsenaling program they went through.  This was also done on SVT 40 rifles, and I imagine others that we won't get to import.  It's simply what they did at the time.  

Do what you want with the AKM stock.  I suspect they were just originally varnished over light stain.  Not as much care would have been used in Cugir as would have been in Bruno the first place.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Most quality finishes of military rifles of that era were linseed oil as the oil penetrated deeply and sealed the pores well against moisture.  The fine stocks of commercial guns of the period, while beautiful, wouldn't hack field conditions.  The Soviets did varnish some rifle stocks, but that's far from ideal.

The plum colored bolt of the k98 is due to the process used in the rearsenaling program they went through.  This was also done on SVT 40 rifles, and I imagine others that we won't get to import.  It's simply what they did at the time.  

Do what you want with the AKM stock.  I suspect they were just originally varnished over light stain.  Not as much care would have been used in Cugir as would have been in Bruno the first place.

ok good deal...I havnt refinished any wood before so..this is all new to me.  Thanks for all the info, I look forward to doing some of this work now
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top