Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2005 11:39:08 AM EDT
Is this rifle any good? Is it reliable? How is the accuracy?

The have different mag types which would be the best... glock or S&W ?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one, it was fun to plink with.  I liked the glock mags because you could get the 30 rounders.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it good for a SHTF carbine?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It will do just don't ruffhouse it too much or you may knock your plastic front site off? Folds down for easy storage and cleaning, eats all kinds of ammo except aluminum case like CCI.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot one at one of our WI shoots. It seemed like a really nice rifle. Very accurate and virtually no muzzle flip. The one I was shooting was chambered in 9mm.

To give you an idea of accuracy, I had been shooting all day on steel at the range we were at. I'm not the greatest handgun shot, and I missed a lot using my G19. Then I picked up the Sub-2000 and started out with slow aimed fire...plink...plink..plink. Then more rapid, pulling the trigger very fast...plinkplinkplinkplinkplink, through the whole mag. Every shot hit the steel.

It was very, very easy to shoot. Granted, the longer sight radius helped, but also the fact that there was virtually no recoil or muzzle flip added a lot too.

I'm still planning on getting one eventually. I'd say it would make a great trunk gun or BOB gun. Nothing like standardizing everything. G19 handgun, Sub-2000 that also shoots 9mm and uses my G19 mags. Folds up really small, light weight, easy to transport. Very simple design.

I'd say go for it, especially if you have a handgun that has compatible mags.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Forget about it if you're left handed...it throws a lot of gas and residue into your face.

Mine worked very well, but I could only stand it for a few mags before the crap in my face bothered me too much.

My kids liked it though. I liked how flat it folded. If I could figure out a gas deflector for it, I would still have it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The survival fourm is that way ----------------->
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one in 40.  Its not bad.  Acurate and reliable.  Vibration on the unpadded metal stock stings the cheek a bit is my only real complaint.

I am looking to sell it though.  I just don't use it much and could use the money for other guns.
But I would not recomend against buying one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
how much you asking? IM me
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems that it would be a good SHTF gun, despite the pistol caliber, but it makes up for that in size. I've shot some at the range, and they worked fine, and were accurate. I haven't been around one thats shot more than 200 rounds in one sitting, but I'm sure that it would not be a problem, they seem well made. I would go for the glock mags, as the factory are reliable, easily found, and can hold over 30 rounds. But like any new gun, if its intended for SHTF I would make sure its had good number of rounds through it to make sure it works.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not as a primary, then again I don't consider any pistol caliber weapon to be a good first choice for a self defense tool.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife has the older (no longer made), better (more metal, less plastic), and (of course) more expensive SUB-9 carbine; hers takes S&W mags (her pistol of choice).

I have the current SUB-2000; mine takes the same mags as my 9mm Glock pistols.

Several years and thousands of rounds between them with zero problems or complaints.  They are actually much better little carbines than I ever thought they would be (I have several different pistol-caliber carbines).

IMHO the way they fold small and deploy quickly makes them a natural for a vehicle (1) as companion to mag-compatible handgun, (2) for an available long-arm where there is not room (or inclination) to carry a rifle, or (3) where loaded handguns are not allowed inside the vehicle but long-guns are.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
mine was accurate and reliable enough to be a SHTF gun.  The folding in half is pretty nice.

I forgot about the front site thing... its cheap and can break easily.  (its just a plastic insert).  I got 2 new ones from kel-tec for like 40 cents.  (don't remember, but it cost almost nothing).  

I've heard you can get ar style front site for the sub2000's, but i've never seen them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... I've heard you can get ar style front site for the sub2000's, but i've never seen them.

IIRC, Blue Force Gear used to sell one... but it's not currently on their site.

www.blueforcegear.com/keltec.cfm
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
how much you asking? IM me

IM sent.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to have the old sub-9, it was a fun little carbine.  I wish that I still had it.  The accuracy is very impressive, and I never had any problems with mine...aka very reliable.

Overall it was great fun and a pleasure to own, I loved nailing jackrabbits with it!!  

As a primary SHTF gun, I don't know about that though I'd prefer a rifle of some sort.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still waiting for an SU-16D pistol to show up at the funstore...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty sure that the ones that take Glock mags are set up for G17 mags.  I have one in 9mm, and I like it alot.  It's minute of human out to 100 yards or so - and thats about as far as I would want to push a 9mm.  I screwed up the barrel - visable gouges from a bad cleaning rod - so I don't know how good it is on paper anymore, but before it was respectable.  Breaking it down for cleaning isn't too bad, and it's been pretty reliable.

One problem I had with it was caused by crappy mags I got from the Sportsmans Guide. The mags damaged the internal part of the mag catch.  I sent it back to them, and explained how it happened and that I was willing to pay for repairs.  They sent it back to me 2 weeks later repaired.  All at no charge.  I was a very happy customer.

My only actual complaint about the rifle is that being left handed I sometimes catch hot gasses on my face coming from the ejection port - depending on how I hold the rifle.  Not an issue for Righties.

There's no last round hold open but that's not much of an issue for me personally.

As for what mag, IIRC you can get them to be interchangeable.  You can change the mag catch from S&W to Beretta to Rugger etc.  If you get the Glock magwell you can't change it out to take other mags.  Again, not an issue to me as I like Glock mags - they have the highest capacity of any commonly found 9mm mags, they function reliably, and they're easy to find.

-K
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... Again, not an issue to me as I like Glock mags - they have the highest capacity of any commonly found FACTORY (I added this) 9mm mags, they function reliably, and they're easy to find.
-K

An important distinction - and one of which I'm sure you are aware even though you didn't mention it specifically.

There are a lot of 30-round generic mags out there for the S&Ws. Rugers, etc, but they don't enjoy the functional reliabilty of the 33-round Glock factory mags (which I use almost exclusively in my SUB-2000 ).
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two Sub-2000s, since I had to buy a second one after thew wife appropriated the first one. Both are 9mm, in the S&W mag configuration.

They are at least 'minute of paper plate' accurate at 100 yards. Easy to hit with, no appreciable recoil, light and short enough for indoor work. The ten buck sling that Kel-Tec sells makes a decent assault sling. I bought the first one as a toy, but I'm confident enough in them that one is now my truck gun, and the other is my wife's bedroom gun. They're also my daughter's favorite long arm, due to the light weight and extremely low recoil. Perfect for the small statured or novice shooter.

Folded, the carbine is 16" long, and fits in pretty much any backpack, book bag or range bag. They weigh around 4 pounds. Mine became a truck gun in large part 'cause I can easily carry it without attracting attention if I end up on foot for some reason, instead of having to leave it with the truck. In a disaster situation I imagine (hypothetically speaking of course) that they could be very popular with paramedics and firefighters who wanted to be able to toss a small pack of personal supplies on the rig or truck 'just in case'. I could see other jobs where this could be awfully handy.

All in all, I'm very happy with these little plinkers. They're cheap to buy, cheap to shoot and make really fun little plinkers. They don't take the place of a full size rifle, but they're extremely handy little carbines.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had the .40 and currently the 9mm....only reason I sold the .40 was to get the higher capacity 9mm in Glock configuration. I was worried selling a great gun for a new unknown one. It shot dead center bullseye at 25m right out of the box....both functioned flawlessly using hundreds of rounds of Wallyworld value packs. Great little gun to add to the arsenal. I won't be selling this new one anytime soon...in fact, I'd still like to get the .40 back.

roy d
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I highly recommend it as a survival type gun, with the 1 warning that it has a horrendously heavy trigger pull.

That said-

It shoots modern hollowpoints with no issues.
It folds down small enough to easily conceal in a daypack, with a mag inserted.
It shoots very quiet- would have no issues shooting it in a house, compared to proabable permanent damage from full sized rifles.  Can shoot at the range without hearing protection and it's very pleasant.
Has ballistics similiar to a .357 pistol at close range, due to the longer barrel.

They make both a G-17, and a G-19 sized model for Glocks.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Now if they could just fix how ugly it is!

While a novel feature of folding in half, I'd like to see a regular stock/furniture model with a conventional side folding stock.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm coming out of the closet on this one. I've been wanting one for a long time.  

Every range report on I've read on these babies says virtually the same thing: reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. I think that the chance of buying a used one in the $250.00 range is pretty good, so what's not to like? Yeah, I'd rather get a new AR15, but one of these is in 9mm is definitely on my "want list."
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]
tag.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah I think I'm gonna buy. I have a storm in 9mm... does it make sense to get the keltec that takes the same mags?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yeah I think I'm gonna buy. I have a storm in 9mm... does it make sense to get the keltec that takes the same mags?

If you already have a storm, I'd save some dough and get the Beretta compatible model.

CDNN has had 20 round Beretta mags (LE marked) for sometime now.  I got one for my M-92.

www.cdnninvestments.com/be92f9mm20le.html

As another post said, for minimal money you can get the other mag releases and use Sig or S&W mags if you have them.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the S&W version, I like it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm coming out of the closet on this one. I've been wanting one for a long time.  

Every range report on I've read on these babies says virtually the same thing: reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. I think that the chance of buying a used one in the $250.00 range is pretty good, so what's not to like? Yeah, I'd rather get a new AR15, but one of these is in 9mm is definitely on my "want list."

I bought a used one for $250 about two years ago and a new one for $269 about two weeks ago!

roy d....deals are out there...if you live in the right area
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
... What they need to do is make one in 45ACP that takes Para G21 mags...

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I had one for about a month, then got bored with it.
+  Took Glock 22 (.40SW) mags.  Pretty cool for that feature.
+  Folded in half for easy storage.

- Mag release is set a little too high, so it's a little difficult.
- Trigger is God-awful and I couldn't find a rework out there.
- Cheesy plastic sights.
- No attachment points.  I though of mounting one of my Insight M3 mounts, but I didn't want to drill the handguards.

In the end, it wasn't enough to entertain me for long.
Sold it a month later.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
... No attachment points...

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a 2000 in 9mm.   I bought it for giggles, it is a giggle.  Reliable, accurate enough for it's type.  I don't plan on shooting any matches with it, but if I had to engage a threat inside 150-200 yards....I could make it work.  Trigger sucks, way to heavy.  But the gun folds down into a very small package.  One could carry it discretely in any number of bags.

It was fairly inexpensive, and mags (Glock) are cheap and easily available.

for the cost, a very good pistol caliber carbine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#35]
My experience has been the same as that of the above: simple, small, dependable, cheap.  Folds up small enough to fit in compartment under the back seat of my truck with one G17 magazine in it and a G18 33 rounder rubber banded to the forearm.

This is not something I would want as my only gun, but for what it is serves the purpose very well.  I think this is a must have "accessory" for any Glock owner and fan because of the magazine feature.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What they need to do is make one in 45ACP that takes Para mags.  I'd sell a K31 to buy that puppy!

I had a 9mm Glock version, and was ok with it, but was never very enthused about it.   I didn't like the grip very much and traded it off.  No real fault of the gun, I am just pickey about comfort.

A .45ACP version sounds like fun, though...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#37]
hmmm. what cal would be best for self defense in this gun?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... No attachment points...

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Rifles/DSC01213.jpg

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Rifles/DSC00932.jpg

The 30 round clip is bad ass....

do they make pre-ban 30 glock clips?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I had one for about a month, then got bored with it.
+  Took Glock 22 (.40SW) mags.  Pretty cool for that feature.
+  Folded in half for easy storage.

- Mag release is set a little too high, so it's a little difficult.
- Trigger is God-awful and I couldn't find a rework out there. I've heard of this with some of the subs, hasn't been a problem on either of mine. Kel-Tec will remedy this under warranty.
- Cheesy plastic sights. Functional, but they are on the flimsy side. Works well enough though.
- No attachment points.  I though of mounting one of my Insight M3 mounts, but I didn't want to drill the handguards. Kel-Tec sells a little pic rail for lights and such. There's quite a bit of info out there regarding attaching gizmos to the Sub, and people attach lights, lasers, scopes, extra mags, bottle openers, small furry animals, pretty much anything you could want without problem. One of the fun points of the Sub is it's 'tinker' value.

In the end, it wasn't enough to entertain me for long.
Sold it a month later.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
do they make pre-ban 30 glock clips?

Yes.  Factory 33-round magazines are available for the 9mm Glocks.  "Pre-bans" are scarcer, but now that new "no-ban" ones are available you should be able to find used "pre-bans" reasonably (I assume you live in a non-free state or you wouldn't be asking ).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top