Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2005 1:42:43 PM EDT
What do you think?

Mr. Kelly (Michael Kelly
Executive Vice President, DISH Network Service, L.L.C. & DISH Network Customer Service)

I recently cancelled my subscription to your company's service. Over the past year I have been through 5 receivers yet I still have the same problem, my picture freezes the receiver shuts down and any where from 5 to 20 minutes later it comes back on. This problem started in the first weeks of service with your company and when I called customer service to complain I was told it would cost me $99 to have them come out and service my equipment after only weeks of service so I lived with the problem then a few months later the receiver stopped functioning. I was sent a new receiver and within weeks the problem returned and that receiver also failed so, now I got another new receiver that started malfunctioning the very next day after installation. I being admittedly furious called once again to try to reason with someone that the receiver may not be the problem as I had stated when my service and problems began. Reluctantly I took another new receiver and once again the problems returned. My service was shut off due to one of your employees inability to properly enter a check by phone this is the second time that has happened to me. My service on my second receiver was shut off a few months ago for no reason, No one at Dish Network could tell me why it was shut off it just was. So here I am today fed up with the customer service I have received so I called and cancelled. Maybe all you can offer me is another apology like your employees have done numerous times before but I am sorry too Mr. Kelly I don't want to hear another apology and I will no longer pay for service in advance that will most likely be interrupted for technical reasons beyond my control. Before my service with Dish Network I was a Direct TV customer for 8 years and the one and only reason I switched was because of the package you were offering not for poor service. I will now most likely return to Direct TV because of poor service. At $35 a month for 8 years I paid Direct TV at least $3300 not including rentals I was prepared to keep my service with Dish for a similar time service permitting. At $36.99 plus a $5 second receiver fee that comes to at least $3500 you will not receive from me. How many other customers have cancelled due to poor service? I'm sure you will always have millions of satisfied customers as one of your employees told me but how many will cancel and how much will that cost? When he told me you have millions of customers I got the impression  that I believe correctly to mean that one customer doesn't matter. Seeing Fidelity is one of your major shareholders it occurs to me that I am a shareholder due to my own requirement account and as a shareholder I find your practices unacceptable and if possible I will alter my retirement account accordingly.
Thank You and I look forward to your response.
Me
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you've had a lot of problems.

I'm not sure what to make of it though because I've been with Dish for a decade and haven't had any problems whatsoever, still have that original receiver around here somewhere, got upgraded ones a few years ago, no service drops,no billing problems, no problems at all unless it snows enough I have to clear the dish.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Dish sux. I quit bothering with them after merely THREE broken receivers. (and countless service calls)

DirecTV much much better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dish sux.

They also swallow
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sounds like you've had a lot of problems.

I'm not sure what to make of it though because I've been with Dish for a decade and haven't had any problems whatsoever, still have that original receiver around here somewhere, got upgraded ones a few years ago, no service drops,no billing problems, no problems at all unless it snows enough I have to clear the dish.

+1  

(Except for the snow, of course - we rarely see any in 'Bama. )
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dish sux. I quit bothering with them after merely THREE broken receivers. (and countless service calls)

I agree.
Maybe the problems is your outlet, if it's pushing more than the 110 you could be damaging every new unit you put in and getting the same result.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had my Dish network system for 8 years I have never had a problem.

I actually had to pay for my receivers and dish.

Maybe quality went down hill once they started giving the shit away.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.
Maybe the problems is your outlet, if it's pushing more than the 110 you could be damaging every new unit you put in and getting the same result.

It only happens to the receiver in the living room the one in the kids room still works fine so I dont belive its the power. It's something else or just bad luck.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

It did seem to be electrical related.

But I've had my DirecTV equipment plugged into the  same outlet - no problem.

Particularly sucky was their DVR unit. Never really worked right.

My DirecTV DVR rocks.

Now I ONLY watch  "good" TV.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

It only happens to the receiver in the living room the one in the kids room still works fine so I dont belive its the power. It's something else or just bad luck.

Bad power not bad luck.

If you have had 5 defective receivers in one year in one room there is a strong probability you have a electrical problem.

I have I have had 7 different DISH receivers over the years and have yet to have a problem.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Another completely satisfied DirecTV customer here...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
... Particularly sucky was their DVR unit. Never really worked right...

Again, experiences vary.  I have three of their (DN's) DVRs (a 100-hr. dual-tuner, a 100-hr. single, and - the oldest - a 40-hr. single) and I haven't had the first problem with any of them... and they see a lot of use.

But FWIW my sister has, loves, and much prefers DirectTV like many of y'all do and she and I go 'round & 'round about it, too...

I would say Chevy vs. Ford, but Chevy vs. GMC might be even more apropos...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

Is the kids room on the same circuit as the living room?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Dear Mr. superdov,

We have investigated your reported issue and determined it is a problem with your receiver. You may obtain a new one from us for $95 plus installation.

We hope to continue to provide you with the same level of excellence in service in the future.

Sincerely,

Some flunkie who didn't really read anything you wrote.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
We have had this same type of problem, and it was solved with a programing undate. That's one of the reasons the machine came with a phone cord. It can't receive updates, when it's not plugged in.

When our acts up, we plug it in and turn off the machine. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

Yep the plugs are right next to each other only on opposite sides of the wall i did forget the kids receiver did fail once, it turned itself off and wouldnt come back on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
It's all about digital cable anyways.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I never really had any problems with them until I moved. I decided I wanted to upgrade to a better package, the ones they were advertising for new customers. I asked them if they could upgrade me to better equipment, they told me "no". I then informed them that I was no longer and "old" customer, but an "ex" customer. They didn't care. I'm now reasonably happy with charter cable......
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

Yep the plugs are right next to each other only on opposite sides of the wall i did forget the kids receiver did fail once, it turned itself off and wouldnt come back on.

That doesn't meant they are on the same circuit.
They could be but find the breaker and throw it and then check both outlets.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]
My Dish has some sort of problem where it becomes slow. Sort of like watching a slide show from time to time. Doesn't flake out like during a storm where it loses signal it just slows down.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I never really had any problems with them until I moved. I decided I wanted to upgrade to a better package, the ones they were advertising for new customers. I asked them if they could upgrade me to better equipment, they told me "no". I then informed them that I was no longer and "old" customer, but an "ex" customer. They didn't care. I'm now reasonably happy with charter cable......

Same here....
I was a loyal Dish customer for over 8 yrs...and was promised free local channels were coming within 6 mos. of initial installation.
I even purchased their  $200 fancy spaceship looking rabbit ears for the locals and still even had to pay for FOX channels since it wouldn't come in.
8yrs go by, finally "Free Local Channels In Your Area"...I call to sign up..." Sorry, you can't have it. You don't have the new dish, but we will send you one for $100+installation costs, Oh...and you'll need to buy the new receivers too"
I debated the point of how I've been promised "free" local channels for years...and was met with the "go pound sand" attitude.
Me> " screw this...I'm calling Charter"    Got even more channels, all locals, upgraded package for less than what I've been paying DISH crapwork.

Dish calls back ~2weeks later: " Blah, blah...loyal customer...blah, blah....how 'bout if we knock off the installation fee....ok,ok...how 'bout if we only charge you $59 for the new dish....ok,ok, how 'bout if we do it all for free...will you come back?"
Me> " .....sorry , you had your chance, click"

Now I must decide on whether to watch my Charter Cable or surf my Charter Internet....decisions , decisions.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My Dish has some sort of problem where it becomes slow. Sort of like watching a slide show from time to time. Doesn't flake out like during a storm where it loses signal it just slows down.

Same here. You have a DVR reciever, right? I've pretty much narrowed it down to the hard drive "spitting"......
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Same here....
I was a loyal Dish customer for over 8 yrs...and was promised free local channels were coming within 6 mos. of initial installation.
I even purchased their $200 fancy spaceship looking rabbit ears for the locals and still even had to pay for FOX channels since it wouldn't come in.
8yrs go by, finally "Free Local Channels In Your Area"...I call to sign up..." Sorry, you can't have it. You don't have the new dish, but we will send you one for $100+installation costs, Oh...and you'll need to buy the new receivers too"
I debated the point of how I've been promised "free" local channels for years...and was met with the "go pound sand" attitude.
Me> " screw this...I'm calling Charter" Got even more channels, all locals, upgraded package for less than what I've been paying DISH crapwork.

Dish calls back ~2weeks later: " Blah, blah...loyal customer...blah, blah....how 'bout if we knock off the installation fee....ok,ok...how 'bout if we only charge you $59 for the new dish....ok,ok, how 'bout if we do it all for free...will you come back?"
Me> " .....sorry , you had your chance, click"

Now I must decide on whether to watch my Charter Cable or surf my Charter Internet....decisions , decisions.

Sounds just like me. I had DISH for 6 years, then had a problem. I called them up and they wanted to charge me around $100 to check it out plus parts. As luck would have it at that exact time a door to dorr salesman showed up selling a deal on cable. I gave DISH one last chance and they would not budge, so I went with a better deal with cable. They called me a couple of times trying to get me to sign back up, but they never did offer anything worthwhile.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like you been having alot of problems. Have you tried emailing [email protected] this is there executive support team. Most of the time they will get it taken care of and have the ability to do things the other CSR's can't. I would also recommend posting your issues( not the letter) over at www.satelliteguys.us this is the ARFcom of the satellite world somebody over there should have some answer.

What model of reciever do you have?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sounds like you been having alot of problems. Have you tried emailing [email protected] this is there executive support team. Most of the time they will get it taken care of and have the ability to do things the other CSR's can't. I would also recommend posting your issues( not the letter) over at www.satelliteguys.us this is the ARFcom of the satellite world somebody over there should have some answer.

What model of reciever do you have?

model 322

and the above email was sent to the exec. vp of customer service
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag.

I'll be stunned if anyone actually gets back to you.

Customer service is an annoyance and "necessary evil" to these huge corporations.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Direct TV for nearly 10 years!! No problem!! Got 4 different recivers, 2 regular, 1 in HD and 1 TIVO would not trade them for nothing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#29]
You might also want to check the cable that runs between the LNB and receiver and replace any splitter that is inline.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Only if you are a sucker.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1.

People still have dishes?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess speedy internet and clear television that has never given me problems is for suckers.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess speedy internet and clear television that has never given me problems is for suckers.

I get clear TV from DISH and speedy internet from DLS with better programming for $30+ less a month that with cable.

I have 2-4 rain outages on average a year with satellite… never seen a cable company that did not have more down time each year. With Charter I had FAR FAR more down time than I ever had with satellite... 8+ days one year.

I have had both Dish and DirecTV and on their customer service on their worst days was better that any cable system I have ever dealt with.

I guess if overpaying for poor service is your thing cable is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:58:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yes.

Some of us choose to live in the country.

We trade having to get a dish for less congestion, less crime, lower taxes, more freedom to use our property, peace and quiet, and the like.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Had it for years -no problems at all.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My brother has Dig. cable. Sorry , but it sucks. Analog feeds converted to digital. not good at all.
Your kidding yourself if you think your getting a pure digital feed.

Dish has always had terrible recivers, I was a subscriber for 9 years. I dropped it when I moved to the country. Cable sucks. If I watch tv, I found I was just turning off the dish and watching locals anyway, so I just bought one of those big antenne.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#37]
had dousche network for 7 years ish- better than cable-price at least- have had the same receiver-which i bought.

Only complaint is getting new equipment- you either have to buy it, or "lease" it for 5 a month.  Aml looking at getting their new HD/DVR/multi-room reciever soon-they said to wait till next year as they *may* offer it as a "free" upgrade.

otherwise- not much for problems with them.  Also, try to talk to someone who speaks english and tell them your not going to pay for install if they say you need to - It was not too tough to get them to give it for nuttin.

cable is teh suxxor
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Dear Mr. superdov,

We have investigated your reported issue and determined it is a problem with your receiver. You may obtain a new one from us for $95 plus installation.

We hope to continue to provide you with the same level of excellence in service in the future.

Sincerely,

Some flunkie who didn't really read anything you wrote.

Probably didn't read it, like I didn't because of a lack of fucking paragraphs.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yes.

We trade having to get a dish for less congestion, less crime, lower taxes, more freedom to use our property, peace and quiet, and the like.

Amen.  Cable is not an option for some of us... and we wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

My DirecTV DVR rocks.

Must've blown chunks not be able to save "Will and Grace" for the weekends, eh?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#41]
5 recievers gone bad in the same room....?  damn, my guess is, they'll be glad to loose you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My DirecTV DVR rocks.

Must've blown chunks not be able to save "Will and Grace" for the weekends, eh?

Who are these people you refer to?

I DVR motocross, Shooting USA, Ted or Alive, GNCC racing and the like.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Dish customer here.  I've been with Dish since 1997.  I tore down my old house last year and built new.  I was able to get a new SD receiver and a HD receiver when I called them to restart my service.  I'm waiting to finish the downstairs before getting another HDTV.

I'm happy with Dish.  The only thing that would move me to DirecTV would be if they get MN HD locals much sooner than Dish.  I'd like to watch NFL and college football in HD without having to buy the Sunday Ticket.

One thing I always recommend: Put all electronics into a surge protector (APC is my vendor of choice).  Power glitches, etc. won't ruin the receivers if they're protected.  Something to consider.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#44]

If it's always on the same location, you could have a bad LNB on the dish. (Dual LNB type for two TVs)

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
One thing I always recommend: Put all electronics into a surge protector (APC is my vendor of choice).  Power glitches, etc. won't ruin the receivers if they're protected.  Something to consider.

Dish had me remove mine from a surge protector
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yes.

A mere 25+ million people have satellite service, what is that 25% of the market. There is far more digital content available on satellite services, 100% of satellite is digital: the majority of cable services still have much of their programming on analog with some digital as a option extra.

I can get either and have had both... satellite is superior and cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yes.

A mere 25+ million people have satellite service, what is that 25% of the market. There is far more digital content available on satellite services, 100% of satellite is digital: the majority of cable services still have much of their programming on analog with some digital as a option extra.

I can get either and have had both... satellite is superior and cheaper.

Cable is still broadcasting analog until they are allowed to cease.  Cable is subject to the same laws about analog broadcasts as over the air.  So, when the FCC finally allows the final phase of the digital conversion it to go forward, all cable channels will be in digital(currently only channels above 100 are digital in most systems).  At that point, satellites will be screwed if they don't come up with a new way to compete.  Cable is using only a tiny portion of their available bandwidth for INTERNET, digital television(including local HD channels), and phone because the rest is still in use for the analog channels.  Once that bandwidth(bidirectional low latency, unlike satellite) is free, there will be no competition.  Although I wish they would all lower their ridiculous prices, digital or HD should not cost more.

I bet another "cableTV bill" will go through to force a standard receiver specification that works with all digital cable and satellite services, so televisions can start having better tuners with more features built-in, and doesn't allow either type of provider to charge extra for more than one television, proprietary receiver, or HD content.

I have both.  I have the full package of digital cable, with a bunch of HD channels, including all my locals in HD for sports.  I also have dish network for foreign channels, BTW Spanish playboy is part if their basic package, no charge.  I have had no problems with dish.  One thing I have learned is that you must leave your receiver OFF, but powered, for around 24 hours to be sure to receive the latest software update.  Most of my boxes stay on all of the time, and I only turn off the stereo and TV because it is less hassle with remotes.  But, the software gets out of date more and more until I shut it off.  When I know I won't be watching dish for a day, and have no scheduled recordings, I try to remember to turn it off once every couple months.  The digital cable box will update the software while its turned on or off.

I think the whole  "on demand" capability of digital cable will have a huge impact in the future.  I rarely use it, but when I do there is no other service which could accomplish the same task.  For instance I didn't get into watching "Rome" on HBO until the 4th episode, of course my PVR didn't have it scheduled to record because I didn't even know the show existed.  But, for no additional cost, I went into the cable on demand menu, and watched the first three episodes.  Satellite will never have that capability due to bandwidth limitations.  Their phony VOD feature they currently offer is just a PVR recording movies from preset channels to a reserved portion of the hard drive in the down time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top