Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 4:28:25 PM EDT

The dog affectionately named "Ice Train," waits in the comfort of the Chippewa County Humane Association facility in Chippewa Falls, Wis., on Wednesday. Associated Press photo by Jeffrey Hage

Dog Frozen to Railroad Tracks Is Rescued

Thursday, December 22, 2005

(12-22) 13:33 PST Chippewa Falls, WIS. (AP) --

Jeremy Majorowicz thought something was wrong when he saw a dog sitting on railroad tracks for at least two hours. But he didn't realize how wrong until he and several other men determined that the gray and white husky had been literally frozen to the ties in below zero weather.

The construction worker first saw the dog on the tracks before his crew called off work for the day Monday because of the cold, and headed to a restaurant. But the dog was still there when they returned 1 1/2 hours later.

"I like animals, and I didn't want to see it get hurt," Majorowicz said.

He approached the dog, and offered it a bit of a muffin, but the animal wouldn't bite.

"I have two dogs myself, so I didn't want to leave the dog if there was something wrong," Majorowicz said, so he called the police.

Police Officer Tim Strand said the dog was "shivering unmercifully" when he arrived and would not come to him, so he called animal control officer Al Heyde.

Heyde hooked the dog around the neck with a catch pole in an attempt to capture the dog, but it would not budge.

Strand then determined the dog was frozen to the railroad ties.

"I lifted his tail and hind quarters, and saw he was literally frozen to the tracks," Strand said. "He was pretty hunkered down."

Strand pulled hard on the dog's tail, and was able to release him, but he said the move pulled a lot of hair from the dog.

"He gave a heck of a whelp," the officer said.

A train was scheduled to pass across the tracks about 10 minutes after the rescue was completed.

"If the dog would have seen that train I'm afraid it would have been the end of the pupster," Strand said.

The dog was transported to the Chippewa County Humane Association, where it was wrapped in blankets and cuddled until it got warm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazing the cop just didn't shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Joe Dirt!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Amazing the cop just didn't shoot it.

Yeah it is, hell I probably would have and used to do dog rescue.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Joe Dirt!

That's exactly what I thought!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Ow!  Why didn't they get a bucket of warm tap water instead of tearing the poor dog's hide?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ow!  Why didn't they get a bucket of warm tap water instead of tearing the poor dog's hide?

That only works in the movies.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

In that temperature if you tried to wash your car the water might freeze before it hit the metal
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Joe Dirt!

yep, nuts froze to the track.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Just goes to show why it's not a good idea to pee on railroad tracks in cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#10]
It must have been damn cold if guys from Wisconsin weren't working because of how cold it was. I'm glad the pooch is okay, he sure is a pretty dog.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#11]
POOR PUPPIN!!!!    Glad it's okay, now!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]
  good work folks
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Now he needs a good home
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Poor guy.

Glad it turned out well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top