Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:06:57 PM EDT
my roommate's g/f said she has seen "organic" milk for something like 15 bucks a gallon.  WTF
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
No antibiotics, no hormones, free range.  No pesticides.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
it makes them "different"
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It saw it on the label at the hippy store.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
it makes them "different"

Yup. I have to admit though that fresh farm chickens for example taste a lot better then the ones you get at the grocery store.  A lot of our food is nutritious but lack taste and substance.  We have giant tomatoes without taste or smell.  But when is the last time someone in America starved to death without trying?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The label.

Hippies ain’t to bright.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The label.

Hippies ain’t to bright.

hehe, check your spelling
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
tomatoes and eggs do taste better from the garden/farm.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Don't get me started.......
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
A large multi-national corporation putting on a label that proclaims in brightly colored words that the food is organic.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
And whats up with buying all of the hemp shit?  do they think they can smoke it if they run out of pot?

I mean I like beer but I don't buy a bunch of clothes made out of hopps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And whats up with buying all of the hemp shit?  do they think they can smoke it if they run out of pot?

I think their point is that you can grow hemp without the pesticides and waste that occurs with cotton.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A large multi-national corporation putting on a label that proclaims in brightly colored words that the food is organic.

Bullshit.

Might want to look into it before bashing it.

Organic food tastes better, looks better, smells better and is better for you. Only reason I dont eat it is because the closest store (I know of) is some 30 damned miles away.

But speaking of, I will be in the area this weekend. Thanks for reminding me to stop by. :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah, but you would if you could.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
What makes you think that people buying organic milk are hippies?

I would think, contrary to your predisposed conceptions, that there are many more ultra conservative health freaks buying this stuff than poor hippies.  Hippies tend not to care about health and wealth as much as many would like to believe.  True hippies care mostly about "peace, pot, and microdot".
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I would drink my shirt.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I could make a tidy sum by slapping an 'organic' label on regular stuff & pricing it at triple the cost, & most hipps & wanna-be's would consume it w/o even a thought.  They're mindless consumers whether they know/admit it or not.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would think, contrary to your predisposed conceptions, that there are many more ultra conservative health freaks buying this stuff than poor hippies.  Hippies tend not to care about health and wealth as much as many would like to believe.  True hippies care mostly about "peace, pot, and microdot".

I wish I had been buying it long time ago.
My kids are frickin huge. I think it might have alot to do with all the chemicals and hormones and shit in food these days. And look around. Jesus, 8th graders these days have titties bigger n most of the seniors did when I was in high school.

I dont know. I'm not saying chemicals in food is the problem....But I sure aint sayin it isnt either.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I dont want to buy 5 "organic" apples for $15, I guess im a little Ikeman.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I could make a tidy sum by slapping an 'organic' label on regular stuff & pricing it at triple the cost, & most hipps & wanna-be's would consume it w/o even a thought.  They're mindless consumers whether they know/admit it or not.

And you'd go to jail.

See above. You guys need to research before opening your mouths.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Organic food tastes better, looks better, smells better and is better for you. Only reason I dont eat it is because the closest store (I know of) is some 30 damned miles away.

But speaking of, I will be in the area this weekend. Thanks for reminding me to stop by. :)

Check out FDA regulations that govern just what can be called organic sometime.

But, I wasn't bashing it.  If you happen to like it, eat it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My kids are frickin huge. I think it might have alot to do with all the chemicals and hormones and shit in food these days. And look around. Jesus, 8th graders these days have titties bigger n most of the seniors did when I was in high school.

I dont know. I'm not saying chemicals in food is the problem....But I sure aint sayin it isnt either.

Your kids are also eating better quality food and more of it than any human at any point in the history of humanity.  That might have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Check out FDA regulations that govern just what can be called organic sometime.

But, I wasn't bashing it.  If you happen to like it, eat it.

I didnt mean to come off condenscending, so i apologize if it sounded that way.

I have checked the regulations, thanks. We thought of growing organic foods at one point. Your ground has to be chemical free for X amount of years before you qualify, let alone not being able to use certain chemicals on the current crop.
And organic meats must not be fed non organic grains either, so if you have organic food it has no chemicals and if you have organic meat the meat must have no chemicals used on it AND the food fed to the animal must be organic as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your kids are also eating better quality food and more of it than any human at any point in the history of humanity.  That might have something to do with it.

Your right.
Which is why i said I'm not blaming the chemicals in food, but I wont dismiss them either.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I hate to break it to you but it's not just hippies and yuppie easting organic these days.
Ever look at cancer rates? Sky high. My family on my Dad's side lived in an agricultural region, all farmers. Pesticide and herbicide use EVERY DAY, in the water table, in the air, in the dust, pervasive.

Every single one of them got cancer. Bone cancer, lymphatic, Colon, you name it. Most of their friends have some form of cancer. The sunday church paryer requests sound like an oncology patients list.

There's nothing worng with not wanting that shit in your food.  In the 50's they used to spray DDT through many neighborhoods until they figured out it makes you sick. Now it's banned in the US, but a lot of people suffered for it. You need to be smart about chemicals. I don't know about hormones and anitibiotics in meat, but pesticides and herbicides are bad news, especially for kids who are still developing. A safe level for an adult is often not a safe level for kids.

We don't buy organic all the time because it's expensive, and we have a budget, but we do it whenever we can. Make fun if you want, but theres nothing funny about ingesting carcinogens.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I dont want to buy 5 "organic" apples for $15, I guess im a little Ikeman.

Ikeman?

I think the organic foods stuff is mostly bullshit.  All I've ever heard is comparisons to all of the dangerous chemicals and genetic engineering and whatever else is in normal people food that isn't in hippy food.  Only problem is, it doesn't pass the smell test.  Almost every claim involves "chemicals" without being specific as to WHAT chemicals, and even if they are specific, a little bit of research usually finds that that particular ingredient (if it's even in the food) is generally not a threat.

I lump the organic foods stuff along in the same categories of feel good myths like "The .45 has more man-stopping power".

Now, FRESH foods are a different category.  If an "organic food" is fresher than supermarket food, that can be a whole different story, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right.
Which is why i said I'm not blaming the chemicals in food, but I wont dismiss them either.

Well, I won't dismiss them either.  But, progress is generally a mixed blessing with the good outweighing the bad, which is why I'm in favor of many of the current practices and genetically modified foods.  With proper testing, of course.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*nods in agreement*
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right.

Well, I won't dismiss them either.  But, progress is generally a mixed blessing with the good outweighing the bad, which is why I'm in favor of many of the current practices and genetically modified foods.  With proper testing, of course.

Yes, but theres a difference between genetically modifying a grain and dumping gallons of herbicides and pesticides on it, then seeling it in "food grade wax" and all the other processing that goes into it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
 Almost every claim involves "chemicals" without being specific as to WHAT chemicals, and even if they are specific, a little bit of research usually finds that that particular ingredient (if it's even in the food) is generally not a threat..

You are uninformed. Organic crops cannot have had pesticides/herbicides for 5 years prior, minimum on the land on which they are grown. Many of these chemicals commonly used in non-organic agriculture are known carcinogens. There is a persistent residue in many products such as canned vegetables and fruit that cannot be washed off. There no myth there, But if you want to believe that, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

All I know is oncologists make way too much money as it is without getting mine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Talk about bullshit

A couple of studies have show you are far more likely to get sick and even die eating actual organic food because of the much higher rates of bacterial and parasite infestation due to the fertilizers and other methods used to grow it.

I suspect you have not been around farms much, anything farm ripened and fresh off the farm tastes better organic or not.

The modern farm with all it chemicals bad and good have given the best quality food in the history of mankind.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Talk about bullshit

A couple of studies have show you are far more likely to get sick and even die eating actual organic food because of the much higher rates of bacterial and parasite infestation due to the fertilizers and other methods used to grow it.

I suspect you have not been around farms much, anything farm ripened and fresh off the farm tastes better organic or not.

The modern farm with all it chemicals bad and good have given the best quality food in the history of mankind.

LOOK! Someone who talks out his ass!!

Grew up on a farm, roughly 1500 acres.

Thanks for playing knucklehead.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you prefer the taste of wild animals or processed foods?

Have you ever had a salad made from vegetables that only came from a garden with home made dressing?

If I could live without eating processed food I would, but there just isn't enough time to do it myself, and I don't think paying two to three times as much for food is worth losing the convience of a super market and frozen pizza.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.

Talk about bullshit

Hahahah.. I've done the live on a farm thing (no cows or animals thank god).

Y'know.. my parents were careful about what I ate. I didn't eat a ton of beef or milk, and I'm 5'8, 9ish. I'm an above average sized viking, and my hormones are doing this crazy thing where I get most of the effects of steroids except no ball shrinkage, so that's enough compensation for me.. except sometimes I wish I was like your kids.

;\
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Nice response... as usual more childish bullshit.

But then again someone stupid enough to buy organic food BS is about as bright as your average mini-van driving soccer mom to begin with.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But then again someone stupid enough to buy organic food BS is about as bright as your average mini-van driving soccer mom to begin with.

I rate you ignorant out of !
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I rate you ignorant out of !

Oh boy another bright boy…  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Y'know.. my parents were careful about what I ate. I didn't eat a ton of beef or milk, and I'm 5'8, 9ish. I'm an above average sized viking, and my hormones are doing this crazy thing where I get most of the effects of steroids except no ball shrinkage, so that's enough compensation for me.. except sometimes I wish I was like your kids.

;\

We had cows and sheep. Didnt mind the cows except in the winter. Animals gotta be fed, be it 102 in the shade or snow ass high to a tall indian. Hated going out in a blizzard to break ice, haul hay and bring in any calves. Set'm on the floor in front of a space heater to get'm warmed up, then take'm back out and rotate with another few calves. The sheep were a pain in the ass though, bastards always got out of the fence.
Dont ask how you remove testicles off of sheep.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see a city slicker wants to talk ag.

Might wanna read a few books before playing keyboard farmer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Sedona, Arizona... The most hippies I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

;\

We had cows and sheep. Didnt mind the cows except in the winter. Animals gotta be fed, be it 102 in the shade or snow ass high to a tall indian. Hated going out in a blizzard to break ice, haul hay and bring in any calves. Set'm on the floor in front of a space heater to get'm warmed up, then take'm back out and rotate with another few calves. The sheep were a pain in the ass though, bastards always got out of the fence.
Dont ask how you remove testicles off of sheep.

Hehehehe. My parents had sheep up until I was 2, on a Lake Erie shore property. Then we moved.

My dad told me it involves a rubber band..
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think this dipshit has even cracked open a Countryside?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
[
Hehehehe. My parents had sheep up until I was 2, on a Lake Erie shore property. Then we moved.

My dad told me it involves a rubber band..

Theres 2 ways to do it.
One does involve a rubber band. Thats the way I would recommend.
The other involves your teeth.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think this dipshit has even cracked open a Countryside?

The only thing hes cracked open is his ass, so he can talk out of it.
That and maybe a mini door van to take mom shopping at the mall in the big city.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#44]
How about this: I personally think organic food tastes better, simply based on my own experiances. I have never seen any evidence showing that organic food is any more healty than non-organic food. It is wonderful, however, that we live in a society that has so mastered food production we can have a preferance for, and pay more, for food that is produced less efficiently.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

City slicker... not me.

Oh it reads books… I suspected that is where its faming knowledge came from... I got mine with a hoe and plow from both my grandfathers and father.

You probably would not know a rake from a keyboard.

Drive on comicbook farmer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#46]
One huge problem with food these days is that production is isolated to a few areas.  And therefore must be harvested before it's time.

There isn't much of a season on anything these days.  You can find formerly seasonal fruits and vegetables at all time of the year.  IMO that isn't a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I dont know about all the chemicals but I do know the chickens I raised back in HS for AG Bio

there eggs tastes alot better then any egg I ever had all we did was use standard chicken feed and let em run around the backyard during the day and roost in a shed during the night.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
How about this: I personally think organic food tastes better, simply based on my own experiances. I have never seen any evidence showing that organic food is any more healty than non-organic food. It is wonderful, however, that we live in a society that has so mastered food production we can have a preferance for, and pay more, for food that is produced less efficiently.

And that is the point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

City slicker... not me.

Oh it reads books… I suspected that is where its faming knowledge came from... I got mine with a hoe and plow from both my grandfathers and father.

Sure ya did.
Well, you *may* be a farmer, but your an ignorant asshole trolling fuckwad of a farmer. Must have got that from dad and grandpa too huh.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

City slicker... not me.

Sure ya did.
Well, you *may* be a farmer, but your an ignorant asshole trolling fuckwad of a farmer. Must have got that from dad and grandpa too huh.

How old are 14…

You know you and your childish crap are running thin... I suggest you read the COC.

Grow the hell up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top