Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2006 12:38:05 PM EDT
I had the seed planted in my head to do some good old BBQ by TexRdnec in this thread.

So here it is, NY style pulled pork and smoked chicken
8 lbs of pork butt and a 5.5 lb chicken getting rubbed down with some dry rub

The worlds best dry rub... Dinosaur BBQ "Cajun Foreplay"

Getting the fire started in the smoker

Ok, it's 4pm est and these puppies will spend the next 14-16 hrs on this smoker

To be continued every few hours
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And lots of it. Want some?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! But I will take some of that pig ass when it's done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! But I will take some of that pig ass when it's done.

Well you have until tomorrow afternoon to get up here. Let me know if you need me to pick you up at the airport.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll take some of the snow if its still available.   Cut me some piggy to while your at it.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll take some of the snow if its still available.   Cut me some piggy to while your at it.

Bill3508

I have an acre at 1' deep. U-haul your own.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill3508

1 acre New York State what are your taxes like?  I am afraid to ask!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill3508

1 acre New York State what are your taxes like?  I am afraid to ask!

I am upstate so not nearly as bad as you may be thinking.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Where are the spiedies?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
At least you got it right, BBQ is a FOOD.

Most Yankees think it is a cooking tool or an event.  Sheesh!

Anyway, I'm sure it will turn out very well, enjoy!

B_S
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
At least you got it right, BBQ is a FOOD.

Most Yankees think it is a cooking tool or an event.  Sheesh!

Anyway, I'm sure it will turn out very well, enjoy!

B_S

I look at it as a event, sitting around drinking beer and watching the Olympics.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Moving along....

4 1/2 hrs at 150-200 degrees

Slow and low, that is the tempo

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
is it done yet we'll all be over in a few minutes!!!!!! I'll bring the Beer!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice pics, ZW17.   I have a smoker similar to yours and was wondering... What difference does the cold weather make in your cooking times compared to summer months?  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's my NY BBQ:

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nice pics, ZW17.   I have a smoker similar to yours and was wondering... What difference does the cold weather make in your cooking times compared to summer months?  

Not trying to answer for anyone- but I haven't noticed any change. My smoker seems to hold in heat pretty well, which means it keeps cold out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like a great meal.
Coincidently, it reminds me of one I had at
the theme restaurant called "Charli Bahngs".

I think we had noodle soup and crackers...
But what was neat was how it was served.

You sit on a hand woven wicker stool and your table
is brought to you...It will either be a miniature horse
or an alpaca. The table's top is strapped to the back of the
animal. They have been trained to stand perfectly still throughout
the entire meal.

Your human server's assistant is a chimpanzee. While they are not
allowed to serve food, they do just about everything else.

The cuisine is north african/turkish.....If you go, do not tip the chimps.
They will get upset and throw rolls at you.
There are two locations. New York and Golden, Colorado.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
150 - 200?  A bit low.

Did you do the modifications on the Silver Smoker?

Also--I would put an oven thermo in where the meat is

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok....

6 hours into it and it's time to wrap em in foil, they have taken all the smoke they can hold and have a beautiful brown marble to them. For the rest of the night they will just sit in the warm smoker to soften up.

Pulling them out of the smoker and into the kitchen

Wrapped and back to the grill

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I noticed a huge difference, I cannot get the thing above 250 when it is below 30 degrees out. In the summer it's hard to keep it at 200-250 even with all the dampers shut.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#22]
ZW,
I was looking at that exact smoker at Lowes just yesterday. How do you like it? What is the silver and black thing mounted uder the front? Did you convert it to gas?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
150 - 200?  A bit low.

The ideal smoking temp is 200-225 and I am keeping this on for 12-14 hours.

Did you do the modifications on the Silver Smoker?

No, no mods at all

Also--I would put an oven thermo in where the meat is

Why? The temp probe you are looking at was compared to my Fluke SMS digital meter and is +/- 5 degrees.

AFARR

Don't worry this ain't my first BBQ.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Throw an old blanket over it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ZW,
I was looking at that exact smoker at Lowes just yesterday. How do you like it? What is the silver and black thing mounted uder the front? Did you convert it to gas?

It's a great little smoker. You have lots of room for lots of meat and it is built sturdy. You will like it. IIRC I paid $200 about 3 years ago.

The silver thing you see is a propane hook up to make it easier for starting your wood or charcoal. You can't go full gas with a smoker, only wood and charcoal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Throw an old blanket over it.

Pigs in a blanket?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It's times like these that make me glad I'm half Irish...

Just boil the fuckers for an hour or two, season with salt, pepper and serve with catsup and you're done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just boil the fuckers for an hour or two, season with salt, pepper and serve with catsup and you're done.

Damn irish.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#29]
ZW--

Have the same smoker, and it works OK.  

To make it better:

#1--Add a heat shield at the connection of the firebox to the main cooking chamber.  I got some aluminum flashing and drilled a couple of holes--it sits in the main chamber, and is attached to the bolts holding the two parts together.  I fold it out at about a 45 degree angle.  Keeps radiant heat from overcooking stuff right next to the firebox--especially when it is completely filled.

#2--Lower the Chimney--ditto on the flashing.  Take some, roll it into a tube that will fit inside the chimney, and slide it up from the bottom.  Let the tube sit on the cooking grate.  If you are doing a large batch and need every available inch, then you can remove it, but with it in place, it keeps the hot air and smoke circulating around the meat a bit better.

I have the same thermometer in the lid.  Mine is also accurate, but if I put an (accurate) oven thermo in the cooking chamber, it is 25 degrees different from the lid thermo.

I have more trouble keeping it below 275-300 than in keeping it hot enough.

What kind of charcoal are you using?  Wood chunks?  

Tried a Fire Basket technique (I haven't--if I can get my brother to fabricate one, I intend to try it for longer burns with less effort).

Tomorrow in the Gas smoker:  Spares, Pulled Pork, Beef (Bottom Round to be shredded), and Chicken Thighs.   I like the Charcoal smoker better, but the Gas is more convenient (makes about a 90% product)--and I have a couple of things to do tomorrow that will prevent me from monitoring closely.

Looks good.

AFARR

PS--Also have the gas ignitor for the smoker--huge time saver!!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
ZW--

Have the same smoker, and it works OK.  

To make it better:

#1--Add a heat shield at the connection of the firebox to the main cooking chamber.  I got some aluminum flashing and drilled a couple of holes--it sits in the main chamber, and is attached to the bolts holding the two parts together.  I fold it out at about a 45 degree angle.  Keeps radiant heat from overcooking stuff right next to the firebox--especially when it is completely filled.

#2--Lower the Chimney--ditto on the flashing.  Take some, roll it into a tube that will fit inside the chimney, and slide it up from the bottom.  Let the tube sit on the cooking grate.  If you are doing a large batch and need every available inch, then you can remove it, but with it in place, it keeps the hot air and smoke circulating around the meat a bit better.

I have the same thermometer in the lid.  Mine is also accurate, but if I put an (accurate) oven thermo in the cooking chamber, it is 25 degrees different from the lid thermo.

I have more trouble keeping it below 275-300 than in keeping it hot enough.

What kind of charcoal are you using?  Wood chunks?  

Tried a Fire Basket technique (I haven't--if I can get my brother to fabricate one, I intend to try it for longer burns with less effort).

Tomorrow in the Gas smoker:  Spares, Pulled Pork, Beef (Bottom Round to be shredded), and Chicken Thighs.   I like the Charcoal smoker better, but the Gas is more convenient (makes about a 90% product)--and I have a couple of things to do tomorrow that will prevent me from monitoring closely.

Looks good.

AFARR

PS--Also have the gas ignitor for the smoker--huge time saver!!

Whew, that seems like a ton of work. I like my smoker just the way it is. It makes a good meal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]
AFARR, I think I'll try your heat shield idea.... I like that.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#32]
When I got it, I researched a bit...couldn't afford a Klose , but this is fairly well regarded as a stick burner.   Did it without the mods a couple of times...(now, to be honest, there is a bit of the learning curve and it might have been Newbie problems), but once the mods were in place, it cooked more evenly and with less effort on my part.

You definitely have a nice looking product there.

Here's where I got the mods...worth a read.  www.bbqinstitute.com/SmokerModifications.pdf

And, I like to hang out over here a bit, excellent resource with a huge number of competetors and professionals....(someday when I have the free time, I wouldn't mind competing to see how my product stacks up).... www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/index.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Well the fire has been stoked yet again, I have now used a bags worth of charcoal biscuits and she hovering around the 200-225 degree mark.

I'll give the chicken another hour or two before I pull that off and stick it with a thermometer and hopefully have a nice early morning snack. In the meantime the budweiser is keeping me good company
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm sitting here wiping the drool off my chin.  Hmmm...I think I'm gonna get me a smoker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Well.... Zero hour has arrived and hot damn this meat is ready to go!

After pulling it off the smoker and stabbing it with the thermometer (185 degrees, a bit high but won't kill anyone)

Look at that bone in the pig, the meat is just falling off of it!

The finished product

Late night snack/dinner pic

No coleslaw and baked beans yet... That will be the big lunch tomorrow.

Well, I am off to slobber on that sandwich and drink a beer and hit the sack. More pics tomorrow when the rest of the food arrives.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#36]
bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Good work there Brother Yank!  Hell, we just might have to make you an Honorary Southerner if you keep that up!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#38]
All that good work smoking that food.....and you use bottled BBQ sauce!?

Damn! IM me and I'll give you a recipe for BBQ dip! Oh Lordy....bottled BBQ sauce...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
When I got it, I researched a bit...couldn't afford a Klose , but this is fairly well regarded as a stick burner.   Did it without the mods a couple of times...(now, to be honest, there is a bit of the learning curve and it might have been Newbie problems), but once the mods were in place, it cooked more evenly and with less effort on my part.

You definitely have a nice looking product there.

Here's where I got the mods...worth a read.  www.bbqinstitute.com/SmokerModifications.pdf

And, I like to hang out over here a bit, excellent resource with a huge number of competetors and professionals....(someday when I have the free time, I wouldn't mind competing to see how my product stacks up).... www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/index.html

Instead of Klose, look at Gator Pit.   More pit for your $$$ and a better pit as well.  I've cooked on both and I ended up buying a Gator.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Damn! IM me and I'll give you a recipe for BBQ dip! Oh Lordy....bottled BBQ sauce...

Can you IM or email me the recipe for BBQ dip??

Looks good ZW17! I can't wait to see the lunch pics with slaw and beans
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I have been eyeballing the wood/charcoal smokers at lowes.Right now I have an electric smoker that is ok,but I will get a wood smoker,this I swear to the ARFCOM Gods of BBQI will become the master of all BBQ,and when Jesus comes back to earth he will come to my house for BBQ
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That's not just any bottled BBQ sauce. It's Dinosaur BBQ sauce, some of the best sauce to ever grace mankind!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nevermind IM, post that shit on here!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nevermind IM, post that shit on here!

I second that, Please post it for all to enjoy
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#45]
OK, I have a question, after 6 hours when you pulled them off and wrapped them in foil, why not just throw them in the oven at 200 degrees? I'm not trying to criticize, just curious as I am a smoking newb.

Looks great BTW.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
OK, I have a question, after 6 hours when you pulled them off and wrapped them in foil, why not just throw them in the oven at 200 degrees? I'm not trying to criticize, just curious as I am a smoking newb.

Looks great BTW.

You certainly could, but why bother doing them in the oven when they're doing just fine on the smoker?   Besides, you want to get that smoky flavor full embedded into them.  

Your pit temp looked a bit low, glad to see you got it back up to snuff and the end result looks yummy.    My g/f's stomach growled a bit at seeing that, I'll have to go thaw some PP for her.  Or maybe some brisket.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the irish way was to throw it in the pot and boil the fuckers till it's all a brown mushy substance?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Waiting for the BBQ dip recipe...   Lets see your from Kentucky... What kind of Whiskey do I need to get for the recipe    
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like good eating!

My Favorite BBQ is only had once a year.

In my little hometown we have a Mormon Pioneer Celebration, on the weekend before July 24th.
They Pit BBQ a few Hogs, and serve it up good!

Tag for BBQ Sauce Recipe
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Pcsutton - Feel free to post that sauce recipe in here, I would love to try it sometime.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Damn!  That looks yummy!!!

Mark.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top