Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:38:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Doh!

By comparison, just one in 1,000 people could name all five First Amendment freedoms.

Hey it's okay...  those first five aren't very important anyways.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:08:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Freedom of religion.  Right, just don't pray in a public building.
Freedom of Assembly.  Right, just don't do it in Waco Texas.
Freedom of Press.  Sure, just don't print anything bad about Democrats
Free Speech.  OK, as long as you don't say the "N" word.
Redress of Grievences.  Still haven't gotten my letter back from Ted Kennedy on why the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to me.

Alive and strong.

The 2nd has always been the important one.
1st Ammendment is subject to who is doing the talking.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#8]
The solution is obvious: a Simpsons episode where they teach the constitution

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The solution is obvious: a Simpsons episode where they teach the constitution

They already did. Sort of....

But from a liberal standpoint.

Artist: Simpsons
Song: Amendment Song

Boy: Hey, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?
Amendment: I'm not garbage, kid.

I'm an amendment to be
Yes an amendment to be
And I'm hoping that they ratify me
There's a lot of flag burners
Who have got too much freedom
I wanna make it legal for policemen
To beat 'em 'cause there's limits to our liberty
At least I hope and pray that there are
'Cause those liberal freaks go too far

Boy: But why can't we just make a law against flag burning?
Amendment: Because that law would be unconstitutional
But if we CHANGED the Constitution...
Boy: Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!
Amendment: Now you're catching on!

Bart: What the hell is this?
Lisa: It's one of those campy 70s throwbacks that appeal to Generation X-ers
Bart: We need another Vietnam. Thin out their ranks a little.

Boy: But what if people say you're not good enough to be in the Constitution?
Amendment: Then I"ll crush all opposition to me
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay
If he fights back
I'll say that he's gay
Congressman: Good news, Amendment! They ratified you.
You're in the U.S. Constitution!
Amendment: Oh yeah! Door's open, boys!

(sounds of gun and bomb-toting amendments running into the Capitol)

Ahhh- what the hell. Here's what the show really wants to teach us about.

[seinfeld]not that there's anything wrong with that...[/seinfeld]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
How do the British understand their 1st Amendment… oh wait there is no such thing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#12]
You Euro's are wordy bastards.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Public schools here pretty much teach you that only 'America' has any rights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey, I gotta right to own a pet!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is something that i find real SAD. For all you neo-totalitarians who say Bullshit like "driving is a priveldge not a right" or other such nazi BS. The FF SAID that we have more rights than are enumerated in the constitution!!!!!!!!!! But as usual the power grabbing courts and lawyers have made that sentiment all but useless. The problem was the FF never spelled out what those rights were so the people who are against people having rights used it as an excuse to basically say that we have NO rights excpet those spelled out totally  in the Constitution.
               What Am i talking about???? Look up the 9th Amendment of the constitution!!!!!
it says( the blue is my added words)"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others (meaning other rights) retained by the people."  

This essentially says that there are other rights retained by the people that are not nessessarily spelled out by the COTUS! If you basically take the "anti-rights" stance of some people on this board (driving is a priveldge) that the ONLY rights we have are those given to us by the Govt and COTUS then you are acting against the wish the the FF's. Like that ever stopped some of the faschists on this board.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats the convention on human rights.  The brits could simply withdraw from that.  There is no UK 'constitution' per se.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do the British understand their 1st Amendment… oh wait there is no such thing.

Wrong...

ARTICLE 10

1.Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. this right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information an ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

2.The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or the rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

You have got to be joking

No like I said you have NO 1st Amendment and little to NO protection of free speech. And you just PROVED it.

That would be laughable if not so sad. That horseshit gives the STATE the RIGHT to contorl speech on any gounds it can dream up... That creepy document is a license for the State to stamp all over free speech.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I named all 5.

Took me a second though.

(freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom to peacably assemble and freedom to petition government for redress of greivances).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I must have missed the part where the Bill of Rights had a cartoon series about itself that ran over like 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, y'all know the old saying, "Without the Second Amendment, there's no way to safeguard the rest".  I'm sure I butchered that, but you get the idea.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No like I said you have NO 1st Amendment and little to NO protection of free speech. And you just PROVED it.

That would be laughable if not so sad. That horseshit gives the STATE the RIGHT to contorl speech on any gounds it can dream up... That creepy document is a license for the State to stamp all over free speech.

Then again, we have the campaign finance reform abomination that limits political speech. Oh,and we have to get permits to have a public demonstration.
As with the rest of Europe and the rest of the "free world",we Americans are all busy voting ourselves back into totalitarianism.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then again, we have the campaign finance reform abomination that limits political speech. Oh,and we have to get permits to have a public demonstration.
As with the rest of Europe and the rest of the "free world",we Americans are all busy voting ourselves back into totalitarianism.

Yep... but Europe is far ahead on that curve. There is no such thing as free speech in Europe you can be sent to jail for saying things that are common place here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Redress of Grievences.  Still haven't gotten my letter back from Ted Kennedy on why the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to me.

Alive and strong.

What about abortion?  It's got to be in there somewhere, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alive and strong.

Abortion is this one

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Because you know, stopping someone from getting an abortion is an unreasonble search and/or seizure
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alive and strong.

Abortion is this one

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Because you know, stopping someone from getting an abortion is an unreasonble search and/or seizure

Yeah, it's actually pretty ironic when you stop and consider that the SCOTUS has no problem allowing unreasonable searches and seizures..................yet somehow twisted the logic to protect the seizure of preemees.

........Strange days indeed.......Strange days indeed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#27]
You forgot one, the right to have a Honda Civic with a bass boom box blasting at 180db at 0300....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#28]
America is awash in media, most of which is entertainment-centric.  The obvious consequences of this shouldn't be shocking to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#29]
This is stupid.

If the question was "What does the first amendment protect?" a much higher percentage would be able to answer "freedom of speech", which doesn't cover everything but I'm willing to say is "close enough" for most people to know.

But asking to name, bullet-point, all 5, is obviously going to net a lower answer.  I wonder what the percentage was that ONLY missed the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

This "study" was done to make a point, and was set up to make that point.  Not surprising.

I'm willing to bet that most people know what the first amendment is.  You don't need to remember the exact wording to know what it is.

Besides, everyone knows that the important ones are 2 and 10.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I must have missed the part where the Bill of Rights had a cartoon series about itself that ran over like 20 years.

Well.... more of a "commercial" really.... not so much a SERIES, per se. Didn't watch cartoons Saturday mornings in the 70's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top