Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]
what's the cost of extending the warranty?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I would probably let it expire, how much does it cost to extend it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't, but then I have dissassembled and repaired my old notebook computer twice, so I'm comfortable about doing my own repairs.  A lot of it depends on your degree of expertise in diagnosing and fixing problems.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't buy one, but then again I don't like extended warranties.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The only problem I ever had with it was a hard drive crash, after a call to India it was replaced. So do I extend the warranty or take my chances w/o it?

Do you intend to use the computer for a couple of years?

If so, EXTEND THE WARRANTY.

If you intend to get a new one, don't. Initial quality problems are usually evident within the first year. But LCDs blow out and other major pieces can die after a couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not sure, doesn't say on the website how much it costs. Have to call this phone number to find out...1-877-585-7477 (Mon. - Fri. 8am - 10pm, Sat. 10am - 8pm, Sun. 10am - 6pm EST)

Great another call to India!

Anyone with previous Dell experience know how much this costs?

Depends on the model, but usually a couple of hundred bucks. Well worth it if you ever have to replace something like the LCD screen. It is not so much replacing the parts (that is pretty easy on most Dell laptops) but the cost of replacement parts that will get you.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
what's the cost of extending the warranty?

+1 I mean it's two years old already. I don't think I would do it. As they are probably going to charge you a couple of hundred bucks for this ext warr., I would just wait for it to go out (which should be a few more years anyway) and buy a new one that will be 10x better.

On a side note I don't  buy the ext. warranties on anything. I've found that they rarely get used and are pure profit for the businesses, that's why they push them so hard. I bought two in the past and never used them so for me they were a waste of money.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, go ahead and get another warranty.  Mine went out and they never called me about getting a new one.  I had to fight the people in India and they wouldn't let me buy another one.  They finally sent me to a America caller who let me buy one.    
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Just put it in the microwave for 3 seconds and send it back for warrenty repair
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Approximately 50% of computer snags occur after the first year.

This is a fairly misleading statement.

Most computers fail within a short break-in period or years later.

As to whether or not you should buy the warranty I guess the answer is what level of risk are you comfortable with?  Personally, if the extension is more than say 200 dollars I would just save the money and keep it as a down payment on a new laptop if your current one breaks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only problem I ever had with it was a hard drive crash, after a call to India it was replaced. So do I extend the warranty or take my chances w/o it?

Do you intend to use the computer for a couple of years?

If so, EXTEND THE WARRANTY.

If you intend to get a new one, don't. Initial quality problems are usually evident within the first year. But LCDs blow out and other major pieces can die after a couple of years.

yup.

next time do NOT buy anyone cheapest line of laptops..  get the medium level and buy the extended warranty.   also buy the apc surge protection devices for the ac adapter.    and don't leave the ac adapter plugged into the wall all the time.   UNPLUG it from the wall and let it discharge occasionaly

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes! You really can't go wrong with a 3 year warranty for a notebook.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Wave: I would read up on lap tops in Consumers Reports, they did an extensive report on them.  I believe they say don't buy the extended warrarnty most of the time, BUT, computer parts are expensive, especially for laptops.  I forget what CR's recommendation is.  I think something like 1/3 of the cost of a lop top is in the screen, so DON'T BREAK THE LCD SCREEN.  I would strongly recommend that you look at the repair history that should give you an important clue whether you want to buy the extended warranty.  Also are you planning to carry it around? If so the HD unit takes a pounding, so you also may want the extended warranty.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Laptops and high end digital cameras are the only things I'd get extended warranties for.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Always get an extended warranty on a laptop. Most people can work on their home computer if it drops the power supply, etc, but laptops are a different story. I had an issue with my Thinkpad right at the time the warranty was getting ready to expire. I purchased another year, and right after I did the problem came back. I sent it in and they replaced the motherboard, which would have cost me more than the laptop was worth. The extended warranty was about $100 IIRC.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Warrenty from them was about useless in my opinion.  Most the issues I see are windows problems that can be fixed with a reinstall.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Laptops and high end digital cameras are the only things I'd get extended warranties for.

Also hard-drive based MP3 players.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top